PDA

View Full Version : 2010 wettest year on record, tied for hottest

PA5COR
01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
In terms of climate change, 2010 was remarkable for three things. First, media coverage of it "fell off the map." (http://wwwp.dailyclimate.org/tdc-newsroom/2011/01/climate-coverage) Network news and traditional print media were the worst. Second, as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Wednesday, it tied (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2011/20110112_globalstats.html) with 2005 for being the warmest year beginning with 1880. Third, in terms of global average precipitation, it was the wettest of those 130 years:

Combined global land and ocean annual surface temperatures for 2010 tied with 2005 as the warmest such period on record at 1.12 F (0.62 C) above the 20th century average. The range of confidence (to the 95 percent level) associated with the combined surface temperature is +/- 0.13 F (+/- 0.07 C).*
The global land surface temperatures for 2010 were tied for the second warmest on record at 1.73 F (0.96 C) above the 20th century average. The range of confidence associated with the land surface temperature is +/- 0.20 F (+/- 0.11 C).
Global ocean surface temperatures for 2010 tied with 2005 as the third warmest on record, at 0.88 F (0.49 C) above the 20th century average. The range of confidence associated with the ocean surface temperature is +/- 0.11 F (+/- 0.06 C).
In 2010 there was a dramatic shift in the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which influences global temperature and precipitation patterns — when a moderate-to-strong El Niño transitioned to La Niña conditions by July. At the end of November, La Niña was moderate-to-strong.
According to the Global Historical Climatology Network, 2010 was the wettest year on record, in terms of global average precipitation. As with any year, precipitation patterns were highly variable from region to region.
The 2010 Pacific hurricane season had seven named storms and three hurricanes, the fewest on record since the mid-1960s when scientists started using satellite observations. By contrast, the Atlantic season was extremely active, with 19 named storms and 12 hurricanes. The year tied for third- and second-most storms and hurricanes on record, respectively.
As recently as five years ago, climate-change deniers, some of them funded by energy companies and other self-interested parties, claimed that the Arctic wasn't warming up and smeared scientists who claimed otherwise. Despite the now irrefutable evidence, we have a House of Representatives brimful of climate-change deniers. Having failed to move forward in the past two years on legislation to curb greenhouse gas emissions, the possibility that the 112th Congress will take any positive action in this direction during the next two years is slim indeed. Instead, we'll be seeing intimidatory attacks on the Environmental Protection Agency's Supreme Court-approved efforts to deal with those emissions. Maria Galluci at SolveClimate News writes (http://solveclimatenews.com/news/20110113/2010-ties-2005-warmest-year-congress-remains-cold-action):

Jamie Henn, communications director at nonprofit group 350.org, urged government officials to pay more attention to their own scientists in policymaking.
“We think that it’s a bitter irony that the year that the Senate failed to pass climate legislation was tied for the hottest year on record,” he told SolveClimate News. “The more the Senate fails to act and even moves in the opposite direction by blocking progress, the more the planet will continue to warm.”
Sen. John Kerry (D-Massachusetts), for one, urged fellow policymakers to consider the data in moving climate measures beyond a standstill.
“How many times do we have to be smacked in the face with factual evidence before we address global climate change?” he said in a statement. “Report after report keep confirming it’s getting worse every year. Will we find common ground and adult leadership or keep piling the science on a shelf to collect dust?”
The ignoramuses in Congress don't believe the evidence, Senator. The venal members, those funded by the Koch Bros. and other foes of taking action because they are convinced that it will cut into the bottom line and their power to set policy, don't care. Figuratively and literally, they believe they will escape the ill effects of global warming by moving to higher ground. As for everyone else, the perspective of these foes of climate-change action is the same as it is on the economy: Devil take the hindmost.

NQ6U
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I've just got two words for you, Cor:

"Natural Cycles."

I've also got this bridge in NYC that I'd like to sell you.

ki4itv
01-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Hot and wet. Now there's a titillating image of mother nature.

n2ize
01-13-2011, 09:54 PM

"Natural Cycles."

It's the Holocene and the Maunder Minimums and the natural bikes. Time to break out the LAF Graphs.

N2NH
01-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Hot and wet. Now there's a titillating image of mother nature.

http://www.atomicballroom.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2010/08/flashdance.jpg

Funny, when I saw first saw Bladerunner in 1982, I knew that was what our future would be like. Nobody else thought so, but here we are.

NQ6U
01-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Funny, when I saw first saw Bladerunner in 1982, I knew that was what our future would be like. Nobody else thought so, but here we are.

That film is turning out to be prescient in more ways than anyone ever expected. Now, if only we had hot "pleasure model" replicants.

N2NH
01-14-2011, 03:00 AM
That film is turning out to be prescient in more ways than anyone ever expected. Now, if only we had hot "pleasure model" replicants.

Heck, I'd settle for a Fembot on a stormy night. Then again, when NHE is about, I rarely notice anything else. Same with most people. Had to literally pry her away from the other newbies when I VE'd during her exam.

PA5COR
01-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Strange natural cycles, with a rise of 33% in Co2...
the last decade was the hottest on record, and the last 50 years we see a gradually rise in temperature, speeding up all the time.
Warmer air holds more water vapour, more rain/snow.
Has to come down sometimes ;)

w3bny
01-14-2011, 12:48 PM
So Mother Nature is going thru menopause.

N2NH
01-14-2011, 12:49 PM
So Mother Nature is going thru menopause.

Either that or she's rutting.

W1GUH
01-14-2011, 02:21 PM

"Natural Cycles."

Y'know....it's a good thing that the warming is a natural cycle. Natural warming won't cause a problem with sea level rising and putting major cities underwater like "un-natural" warming. would.

PA5COR
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Too much proof 8 billion people succeeded in f*cking up the climate.
But then we're as humans are good following the leads our masters the corporations like Shell, BP and the other oil predators give us to swallow.

Except the few critical thinking people.
And like us who's country for 1/2 it's size will be under water.
And have 1500 years experience in watermanagement and measuring water levels and weater.