PDA

View Full Version : Something positive....

N2CHX
01-12-2011, 05:49 PM
OK, I'll preface it with a negative, but ultimately it's a positive...

My present job isn't exactly the greatest in the world, doesn't pay a whole lot, but it's a job. My boss however, is awesome.

For six years I worked for Entercom. In those six years I think the biggest Christmas/YE bonus I ever got was a $50 gift certificate. Most years it was $25. That was standard for anyone not at the executive/upper management level.

Meet my boss. He owns a few stores, has a few employees and works two other jobs outside of his stores. I work part time and have been with him since September. Imagine my surprise when not only did I come in one day and find a card with a $20 gift certificate to Tim Hortons from him, but then I got my check a few days ago and found that he also gave me a $100 Christmas bonus in my check. Honestly, this store is so slow sometimes I don't know how he can afford to even pay my base salary, much less what commissions I do get and then $100 bonus, which is twice what I ever got from the big korporation I was a slave to for six years.

So that's my first positive posting of the new year. My boss rocks and I really appreciate that.

W5GA
01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Way cool! You need to buy your boss a beer.

NQ6U
01-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Way cool! You need to buy your boss a beer.

Several beers.

N8YX
01-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Honestly, this store is so slow sometimes I don't know how he can afford to even pay my base salary, much less what commissions I do get and then $100 bonus, which is twice what I ever got from the big korporation I was a slave to for six years.

So that's my first positive posting of the new year. My boss rocks and I really appreciate that.
Because he understands the principle of quid pro quo. Or the Golden Rule. Or karma. Call it what you will.You, in turn, will be glad to go the extra mile for your employer when asked.

KG4CGC
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
↑↑↑ That.

NQ6U
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Because he understands the principle of quid pro quo. Or the Golden Rule. Or karma. Call it what you will.You, in turn, will be glad to go the extra mile for your employer when asked.

Fuckin' A. I call it "good business sense."

W2NAP
01-12-2011, 06:11 PM
kinda shocking. hell the normal around here is you get a raise you get a pink slip so they can replace you for another min wage worker

KG4CGC
01-12-2011, 06:50 PM
kinda shocking. hell the normal around here is you get a raise you get a pink slip so they can replace you for another min wage worker
OH! I've seen that scenario go down a number of times.

W2NAP
01-12-2011, 07:01 PM
OH! I've seen that scenario go down a number of times.

its pretty much the norm around here, if you get a job figure it only lasting 6 months. or prey to what ever god you wish you stay min wage with no raise

KG4CGC
01-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Here they just use temps and keep a small handful of experience to train. I trained over 100 people my first year at Armin Plastic, now Tyco.
That was 1985-1986. That place needed a revolving door. The shortest employment record to my knowledge is 15 minutes during my time there.

kf0rt
01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Having a boss that rocks is a total win.

ki4itv
01-12-2011, 07:28 PM
^^^...and far better than actually being the boss.

K7SGJ
01-12-2011, 07:31 PM
What a deal. Where are you takin us?

NA4BH
01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
You are doing something right. Happy for you.

PA5COR
01-12-2011, 08:03 PM
One reason i'm happy for you is my wife was in the same position as you.
She was the main executive secretary at Ernst & Young, well paid job but after her direct boss went to Shell she got a new boss, that was an a - hole.

She quit, and within a month found the same position at a new firm, almost same travelling distance, but she's happy again.
Pay is good too, the same as E & Y.
Never thought a change in job can change a person so much, specially my wife.

KC2UGV
01-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Welcome to "Small Business Land", where your boss appreciates what you do, and rewards you for it. Maybe not in Bonus checks, but in other ways.

I remember my first job out of the army, it was for a small computer business. Each year, bonuses were about $200. The year we were hurting money-wise, he took us all out to dinner at the Eagle House (A really nice place, Kelli can speak of that).

Small businesses, you don't feel like an employee usually, but a member of the family. And it shows.

KB2SFH
01-15-2011, 11:12 AM
:disagree:The current boss I am stuck with is so selfish that he never bought me a bottle of water when I was working 81/2 hour days all summer outside in the Jersey heat waves and he never gives bonuses nor has the company I am contracted to ever given me a bonus, they pick and choose guards they like and slip them extra raises and bonuses behind our backs, doesn't matter if those guards are any good or not either.

n6hcm
01-16-2011, 03:00 AM
bonus. i've heard of those ...

the bonuses i get now are of the sort "N days off" which i'm glad to have ... the last place i worked where i had big enough cash bonuses was oracle ... but oracle was kinda cheezy--they'd give senior people small raises and larger bonuses (which were expressed in a %age of your annual salary). they screwed me out of my last bonus (they were late in processing bonuses and i resigned for a new job before (late) bonuses were paid. i got a bonus when i was at booz, allen & hamilton ... that was a bfd because non-client staff never got bonuses (i did some billable work but mostly worked on an overhead account).