PDA

View Full Version : Cheap computer.

KA5PIU
01-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Hello.

I was in the local Walmart when the IT guy was replacing one of the smaller in store advertising displays.
This was for a beer display and is an all in one device.
I asked what the deal was and he explained that they were upgrading and the old ones get tossed.
Got 2 of them, pulled the covers.
An added housing in front and back with a pair of speakers on the top front.
The rear has an added box with a 2 gig drive and a 12 volt power supply with a Y cable.
On the front of the LCD monitor proper is a 640x480 camera that is covered by the housing.
The entire display is perhaps 9 inches across.
This mounted to an arm that was attached to the display.
There are more connectors on the display proper and what might be an IR port.
I powered it up on 110 and the commercial started up on one, the other is dead.
But for the price, free, it is worth playing with. :lol:
Look around and see what you can find, if we all work together who knows what we can find?

WA4TM
01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Have you considered having your meds checked, and possibly adjusted??

N5RLR
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
What OS does it use? Can it be repurposed for something else?

NQ6U
01-08-2011, 09:44 PM
What OS does it use? Can it be repurposed for something else?

Bet it's some form of embedded Linux.

KA5PIU
01-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Hello.

My guess is just that, embedded Linux.
I first want to swap parts and see why the one is not working.
Turns out that this type of device is intended to simply be replaced when the promo is over.
In fact I was told that a given number get smashed, a given number get stolen, etc.
This is the Canadian Walmart provider.
http://www.ek3.com/narrowcasting-services/advertising-sales.htm
This unit was a part of a beer display and may not be connected with Walmart at all, I did not ask.

ki4itv
01-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Pretty cool.

The XYL has asked me to be a little more selective about the free finds I bring home.
I guess I'm grounded until I can organize the shop in a way that doesn't remind her of a "Horders" episode.
That's ok, I don't even know what I have right now and could really use a warm weekend to sort through it.

W3WN
01-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Walmart sells beer?

KA5PIU
01-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Hello.

Yes, Linux!
It has a 1200 MHz CPU and 2 mini PCI slots as well as a place for SATA hard drive, none present.
Everything runs off a SSD that is 2 Gigs,
Video is 1040x600 and it is intended to operate sideways but the housing presents it in portrait mode.
The camera is 800x600 and the audio is a Yamaha chip.
Ram is 1 Gig but will take a pair of 2 Gig sticks.
Have the Bios password and removed that.
It will boot into Windows XP just fine and everything works, plugged in a USB mouse and keyboard.
Atom CPU but otherwise very normal for a PC.
There is a place on the board for a keyboard and perhaps a tracking device.
This is very much like a laptop or netbook motherboard.
There is ethernet and video out on board.
I have no idea what the other box is or does, it has 3 connectors and an SMA connector plus power.
The housing has nothing on it to tell me anything.
But it is now a small 12 volt powered PC, soon to be embedded ham radio display and computer.
Not bad for free.

NQ6U
01-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Sounds like it would make a great unit for digital mode stuff. You don't need much in the way of processor power or storage space for that.

KA5PIU
01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Sounds like it would make a great unit for digital mode stuff. You don't need much in the way of processor power or storage space for that.

Hello.

1200 MHz is not a minimal CPU.
With 4 Gigs of RAM and a real hard drive it will be more than just digital mode box, it will be the front side of a mobile station.
Remember that this was free for the asking.

KA9MOT
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM

My wife (and every member of her family) suffers from mental illness. My 11 year old may as well when he gets older. I really don't find your post amusing.

w6tmi
01-19-2011, 12:57 AM
The interwebs is a cold, dark place where jokes of all sorts and sizes abound.

Someone, somewhere will ALWAYS be offended at SOMETHING.

KA5PIU
01-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Hello.

Got the thing up and running.
It does NOT do touchscreen, that limits it a bit.
I removed the original static drive and put a hard drive in its place and loaded XP, everything works.
Loaded all the softphone apps I will ever need as well as a firewall and got WiFi configured.
It is set up to run on a battery on the board but have no idea as to what type, will stick with 12VDC.
Turns out that this version of device had troubles with the power supply, it provides power to both the device And the extra box.
The extra box is a USB based device that supports a CMOS sensor and range detection and is intended to scan and look for people.
It will look in its field of view and detect by size children and adults.
That was why I did not understand the conflict between the BIOS, startup, and physical inventory.
Behind the little square on the bottom is another camera.
The plastic square is red plastic and the camera is an eye toy like device with the camera element itself removed from the edge of the board, silk screen markings are indicating this and the cable is soldered to the board in just the right place.
The other camera was indeed hidden behind the plastic.
Stereo sound that is amplified by the other box.
Will need to drill out rivets and see what is in the other box.
Drill out the plastic housing for the camera and relocate the speakers.
The way the housing is constructed, 3 of the 4 USB ports are blocked as well as the ethernet and external video ports.
Came up with a PS2 to laptop ribbon connector adapter and plugged that in, it works.
This IS a netbook in a special box, nothing more.
Perhaps some off brand.

KA5PIU
02-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Hello.

Walked into Big lots and saw this cute 15 inch TV for $99.99
http://www.pandigital.net/search.asp?Mode=Product&TypeID=18&ProductID=21
Took it home and unpacked it, looked at it, it looked a lot like the things I brought home.
Guess what?
http://www.pandigital.net/search.asp?Mode=Product&TypeID=13&ProductID=15
Correct, I saw the digital picture frame at big lots and took a very careful look, right down to the FCC ID.
The extra board is to interface live video.
It DOES support both WiFi and bluetooth.
Mystery solved.
For $99.99 you can have a decent small monitor that comes with the WiFi dongle, remote control, TV tuner, 12 VDC power adapter, the works.
I took the power adapter from the "broken" display unit and plugged it in the new fancy job. it works.
So I plugged the new power adapter directly into the bad unit, it works.
I carefully examine the old unit, the connector to the power splitter had become dislodged, perhaps when I was carrying it.
I plug the "black box" into the new unit, a menu comes up.
Reconnect the camera, a mouse like arrow comes up that will follow the position of my head.
So, what is with the extra board inside the display unit? memory interface and video.
The $99.99 unit has this extra board also but without the extra memory.
It does have a TV tuner and the extra interfaces.
The remote that comes with the Big lots TV runs all of them.
Again, for $99.99 you get a fair 15 inch monitor, digital picture frame, does some sort of recipe chit, comes with a WiFi dongle, remote control, 12VDC power supply, and enough brackets to mount it any way you want.

NQ6U
02-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Interesting, Rudy.

WA4TM
02-05-2011, 12:39 PM
This was said in jest to Rudy!!!

I DO NOT remember saying ANYTHING to you or about you OR your family.. I don't find your post amusing or necessary!!!!!!!

From post #11...
My wife (and every member of her family) suffers from mental illness. My 11 year old may as well when he gets older. I really don't find your post amusing.

KA5PIU
02-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Hello.

First off, I am something of the exception.
I carry a pistol with black powder rounds to comply with a state law.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144790
I do this as this is not a firearm in the legal sense.
And why would I care? name anyone else who will fly around with what amounts to a hang glider strapped on his back and wearing electrified spurs and a converted Maglite that can burn through cloth and flesh with ease?
I am interested in a simple computer that can do more than a stand alone GPS unit for the purpose of providing the chase car with quality information as to my situation.
Remember, this is a Glider, once launched I am at the mercy of the wind.
Some people are impressed by overpowered cars that get 2 gallons to the mile.
Others play with a massive rack of radios, inside their car.
I play with radio, "magic", and aviation, all at the same time.
Most of the time that you see me flying I am actually a giant kite being pulled along by the chase "car", a motorcycle.
I can actually foot launch when conditions are right and easily hit 60 to 200 feet and stay in the air from the lift provided by cooling towers.
But, I can not fly just anywhere, as there are power lines and traffic signals everywhere.
An interstate highway is excellent, the updraft from a passing semi truck does wonders.
The access road is perfect for both the chase car and as a way to get away from the massive highway signs.
So, you see, everyone has something they like to do.
And, to answer the question, state law limits the carrying of a firearm on board an aircraft and in possession of a felon.
Since I work construction quite a few of my coworkers are felons and this would limit their participation.
This is as much a show of smoke and mirrors as actual flying.
The reason you hear little about this in the press is that the press is not invited.
Remember the smoke and mirror part?
I breath fire as a side act, with safety being key.
I do this when it is time to shed the press, after all, they can not be in the "safety zone".
Remember the black powder pistol?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TvAjGOj-BE&feature=player_embedded
Make an assembly with 5 tubes and strap this to you wrist , covered with a cotton fire resistant shirt, the common welding shirt works well and a simple logic chip and driver and you have an excellent special effect.
Everything is done as one flowing illusion.
This means a lot of help from my friends.
I can do around 5 hours as one show and not get anyone bored but even 30 minutes can tax me at times.

NQ6U
02-13-2011, 10:30 PM
WART

KG4CGC
02-13-2011, 10:39 PM
cheap
WART

W3WN
02-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Hello.

First off, I am something of the exception. < snip >

Ku goniff, with all due respect, no kidding.