w2amr
01-03-2011, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nJ2zfajIU

WA4TM
01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, I'll be ducked!!!!

kc7jty
01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I had a pet duck. Toots (female). Used to take her on the lake in my boat. Put her over the side while swimming or fishing and she would come right back when I quacked and swished my hand in the water.

We also went to the local park where the kids dammed up the creek to swim.

KG4CGC
01-03-2011, 04:29 PM
We occasionally go to a pond or lake to feed the critters. Turtles too. I had some fish food sticks that would sink and one piece was sitting there for a few minutes and and this turtle walked up from the bottom of the lake making a line straight to it. Snagged it and went straight back down. It was only 3 feet from the shore in the water but he hit it like he knew it was there. The ducks were nice but the grey geese were such demanding bastards!

kc7jty
01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
foie gras.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21B8P4XJ1JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

W3MIV
01-03-2011, 04:40 PM
... the grey geese were such demanding bastards!

Try swans some time.

KG4CGC
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Try swans some time.
We had a couple of swans not 200 yards away but some snot nosed kids got a hold of one of them and beat it with sticks and rocks. The other swan mourned itself to death.
Our swans were a source of local notoriety here.

NQ6U
01-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I had chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese on my place in Oregon. Surprisingly, the turkeys made the best pets. They seemed reasonably intelligent and would follow me around the property all day and let me pet them and talk nonsense to them, just like one would with a dog, and would even come when I called. These were a variety called "Bourbon", which in appearance looked to be a lot closer to the wild birds than the typical white ones you see being raised for food. That might have had something to do with it.

W3MIV
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
We had a couple of swans not 200 yards away but some snot nosed kids got a hold of one of them and beat it with sticks and rocks. The other swan mourned itself to death.
Our swans were a source of local notoriety here.

I am surprised the other swans let the kid get away with it. Swans can put up quite a vicious defense, and a pack of swans on the defense is nothing with which to trifle.

KG4CGC
01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I missed a couple of details. There was only 2. They were there for years as a mated pair. They still produced offspring but not every year. The offspring that did survive did not stay around.

W3WN
01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
They say turkeys can't fly. That may be, but I know for a fact that they can glide!

Back at the old QTH one afternoon, there was a wild turkey crossing the lawn when I let the dogs out. He jumped onto a tree branch, on one of the big pines we had along the side street, just ahead of the dogs. The dogs sat there and watched, as he jumped or flapped up a few more branches. Then the boss got home; stopped at the corner at the bottom of the lot to see what was going on. As was their habit, the dogs left the treed bird and rambled down to the car. As soon as they left, I saw the turkey spread his wings and glide straight down the street, 15 to 20 feet right over everyone's heads.

The dogs never did figure out what happened to the bird, but they circled that tree for a good 15 minutes or so looking for it!

NQ6U
01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Wild turkeys can definitely fly, the hens at least. I've seen them do it. Domestic turkeys cannot.

kc7jty
01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Wild turkeys are like phesants. They are very powerful flyers but only for short periods of time.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-well-used/images/12-30-2010.jpg

W2NAP
01-03-2011, 10:57 PM
made me laugh.

KG4CGC
01-04-2011, 03:51 AM
made me laugh.
that

kc7jty
01-04-2011, 04:24 AM
http://bradleysanimalplace.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/61307holiduckinn-719480.jpg

W1GUH
01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Ducks? Trucks? Reminds me of a story....

Seems an old farmer was deciding which of his three sons was to get his fortune. What he came up with was a competition among them. One day at breakfast he told them...,"I'm going to give each of you a duck. Whoever has gotten the most for his duck by dinner time gets the fortune."

So they all took their ducks and got started dealing. The first son got a buck for his duck. The second son got half a buck. The third son was a real dumb shiite and didn't have a clue what to do. So as he's walking he passed a whore house. He figures "what the heck?" and goes in a gets one of the ladies to provide her services for his duck. So they get it on. Afterwards, the lady starts thinking about what a bother owning a duck is going to be, so she tells the guy, "I'll do it again if you take back this duck." So they do it again, and the guy picks up is duck and leaves.

As he walked out the frond door, the duck flew out of his arms and into the path of a humonguous truck and got all smashed to bits. The truck driver was a decent guy, so he stops and runs back, all apologetic. He tells the guy how sorry he was to have smashed his beloved pet, and gives him a doller.

That night at dinner, the first son reported that he got a buck for his duck. The second son, all disappointed, mumbled that he got a half a buck. At this point the first son figures he's "in" since the third son was such a dummy. So the third son reports....

"Well, I got a f... for a duck, and a duck for a f..., and a buck for an f'ed up duck!"