PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ride your motorcycle to work today?

N8YX
01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I and one co-worker did.

16 degrees F + highway speeds = :wtf:

KJ3N
01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
"Dumb-ass!" - Walter

KA5PIU
01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Hello.

I have no choice, it is the only thing running! ;)

ki4itv
01-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Sounds like there's a real need for mandatory jacket laws... ;)

W3MIV
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Sounds like there's a real need for mandatory jacket laws... ;)

Yes, the kind they tie the sleeves in bows behind the back.

W2NAP
01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I have a guy lives a block away. he always rides his Harley to work. I have seen him ride at 25 below zero.

W7XF
01-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Hello.

I have no choice, it is the only thing running! ;)
What... The APU on the pink Bell 47 on the blink again?

suddenseer
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
http://www.bigcatcare.org/you%27re%20crazy.jpg

KA5PIU
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Hello.

Pulled the covers and looked, timing belt broke.
The pulleys are just a bit worn so I may replace them also as well as the tensioner.
Some say that since I am at it I should go ahead and replace the water pump, will have to find one first.
I was able to use the old timing belt from a prior repair and everything works and the engine runs fine but this belt is really cracked.

w2amr
01-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Hello.

Pulled the covers and looked, timing belt broke.
The pulleys are just a bit worn so I may replace them also as well as the tensioner.
Some say that since I am at it I should go ahead and replace the water pump, will have to find one first.
I was able to use the old timing belt from a prior repair and everything works and the engine runs fine but this belt is really cracked.
I gave you the link where you can buy a new belt and tensioner for $36. You cant afford $36? Would you like me to take up a collection?

w2amr
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I and one co-worker did.

16 degrees F + highway speeds = :wtf:
NOFRIGGINWAY. Lots of black ice around here in the morning the past few days. I have been going out in the afternoons though.

KA5PIU
01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I gave you the link where you can buy a new belt and tensioner for $36. You cant afford $36? Would you like me to take up a collection?

Hello.

No, I have decided to replace the water pump while I am at it.
The timing belt is on order and my come in Friday.
I made sure that ordering other parts would not delay the order so I ordered the tensioner also, the sprockets only looked funky due to the belt failure, they cleaned up well.
So if I have time I should be able to get everything back running right Sunday after Church.
I had just got the bike up and running the day before this.
I am going to replace all the belts and hoses and change the oil in the other truck and plop in a new battery.
The old radio, a Motorola transistor business dispatcher, still works!
This is an odd model that I got from Gregory 2-way years ago, telephone style handset and larger cabinet.
It came with an extra power supply box that I have no use for.
I do not think it is a railroad model as it only has 4 channels and no PL and the handset does not plug in, it is wired to a terminal board that connects to another connector.
There is also another set of connections that run to a bit of cable that was cut off.
But, 12 volts, positive or negative ground, 15 watts RF, 3 watts audio, perhaps forest service?
Anyhow, I am now going to make a good effort to keep everything in good working order.

N7RJD
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM

It can be a real problem when one doesn't have anymore cents than they do sense.

W7XF
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Cowthief:

You NEVER, I repeat, NEVER let a timing belt remain in service one INCH over 50,000 miles. AND, NEVER re-use them. You're just asking for disaster then.

But, replacing the water pump while you have it all apart is a good PM idea.

w3bny
01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
For those that care.... http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml

I ride but Saphira is still broke and I'm too fuzuckin broke to fix her. Every time I have the funds, something stupid happens. Wife's satan breaks...truck dies...her teeth explodes... Sigh....

w2amr
01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Cowthief:

You NEVER, I repeat, NEVER let a timing belt remain in service one INCH over 50,000 miles. AND, NEVER re-use them. You're just asking for disaster then.

Not necessarly true Kevin, I have seen them last well over 100K. But once you reach that point you are rolling the dice.

KG4CGC
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Roll the dice, move your mice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_UHA6RmBEs)

KA5PIU
01-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Hello.

Got the new timing belt on.
I looked at how this is installed and decided to do a bit of a change.
The plastic cover was one piece and required that the bottom drive pulley be removed.
I cut the bottom section and made it to where it now bolts in place but allows the top section to come off.
Removing the alternator is no longer required, as I am using a clevis bolt intended for a tractor as part of the mount, more support and simpler to remove.
Same with the AC compressor.
I did this as the prior design requires that one remove the wheel shroud as well as the 2 parts, and the pulley.
Now it is a matter of removing 2 bolts and swinging the alternator and AC compressor out of the way and removing the cover.
Since the pulley is now no longer removed I marked it with top.
Align that and the top gear and put on the timing belt and you are good to go.
Something that can now be done along the side of the road.
The Geo Metro engine is noted for squealing on startup, several factors, but alignment of the belts is the biggest issue.
Now everything runs quiet, alignment is perfect.