PDA

View Full Version : Which would you go for?

NQ6U
01-02-2011, 06:39 PM
These two amplifiers showed up on the local Craig's List yesterday, both priced at $650. While I'm not in the market for an amp, I'd like to hear Islander's opinions on which one they would choose:

The Dentron MLA-2500 (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/2130241644.html) or the Heathkit SB-220.
(http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/2130232386.html)

WV6Z
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
WAY too much for either..... but, that's just my opinion. For serviceability as well as well as operational affordability stick with the 220 and run like hell from the Dentron.

KJ3N
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
WAY too much for either..... but, that's just my opinion.

An opinion I happen to share.

For serviceability as well as well as operational affordability stick with the 220 and run like hell from the Dentron.

If that's the Dentron that uses the 8875 tube, then, "Run, Forrest, run!!" :shock:

Now, if you happen across a Dentron DTR-2000L for under $500, just do what I did (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=166789) and it'll run for a long time if the tube is in good shape. ;)

kd8dey
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM
WAY too much for either..... but, that's just my opinion. For serviceability as well as well as operational affordability stick with the 220 and run like hell from the Dentron.

+1....

WØTKX
01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
The Heathkit for sure. But that price is a bit high, unless it's PERFECT, and maybe upgraded/modified.

I have an SB-221 modded for 160 in good shape, and a Dentron MLA-1200 with a working tube.
Got them both for under $700 total. The shack does not have 220, and I've been working a lot.

I like the Dentron, but I've only hooked it up to a dummy load, and I want to baby it. They are not very forgiving of abuse. So, I've been looking for a spare tube, and will find one someday, for the right price. The previous owner put a huge fan on it. There are mods for the Dentron to switch to the GI-7B Russian tube, but you have to hack the case to make it fit.

Find an SB-200 for $300 plus or minus. The 572B tubes are very forgiving. I have one that I just finished upgrading, and want to fix some cosmetic issues. And then there is this cool as HELL 813 homebrew amp that I need to fire up soon.

NQ6U
01-02-2011, 10:09 PM
The Heathkit for sure. But that price is a bit high, unless it's PERFECT, and maybe upgraded/modified.

The ad says this (I know nothing of these things):

Low hour Taylor Graphite plate 3-500 tubes. New Harbach fan, Harbach capacitor bank and Harbach meter board installed.

Would that count as upgraded/modified enough to justify the $650 price?

W3WN
01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
The ad says this (I know nothing of these things):

Low hour Taylor Graphite plate 3-500 tubes. New Harbach fan, Harbach capacitor bank and Harbach meter board installed.
Would that count as upgraded/modified enough to justify the $650 price?
Maybe.

IIRC Taylor ended up as the owner of EIMAC glass tube lines, when that equipment was sold off. So in theory, they're as good as the originals because they basically ARE the originals, just a different name stamped on the glass. I'd verify that, though.

Harbach is THE source for parts, mods, and upgrades on the amps. If the power supply has blown, they'd have the replacement parts. If the parts were put in right, you should have no worries.

Keep in mind that all else being equal, it's easier (thanks to Harbach) to find parts and boards for the Heaths than the Dentrons. And I know from first-hand experience that when Dentron was in the process of going belly up, the product pushed out the door was mediocre to poor quality (for example, Westech received a linear, I don't recall now if it was an MLA or a Clipperton, minus finals and top cover... and never got them), which makes me suspicious.

So, again, all else being equal, I'd go with the Heath. Parts are available, parts rigs are plentiful, and there are tons of mods and upgrades out there. But I'd try and negotiate on the price, offhand (sight unseen, of course) it strikes me as at least $100 to $175 high.

...I miss my SB-200, but at least I know it's in good hands with N3FB. One day, I'll have another!...

NQ6U
01-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Okay, thanks to you all for your informative comments. Both items are gone from Craig's List now but, as I mentioned initially, I'm not actually in the market for an amp. But I asked anyway because knew that Island denizens would have the straight dope on them and that I could learn something from them.

N8YX
01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
And then there is this cool as HELL 813 homebrew amp that I need to fire up soon.
I have extra parts for that - including big, honkin' ceramic band switches. May even have a newish piece of PiDux floating around, though I suggest you change the additional 160M tank coil over to a toroid. Maybe set up an unused section of the band switch to add capacitance in parallel with the loading capacitor while you're in there.

To the OP:

Go with the SB-22x and pay no more than $500. Or find a Dentron Clipperton-L, which uses 4 572Bs. It's roughly the same price.

I recently got hold of a pair of the following:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/amps/2KL.jpg

http://odinn.org/radio/albums/tuner/Icom_IC_AT_500.jpg

I absolutely love the cr@p outta these things. So much so that I'm thinking of selling my L7s and L75s. A Cubic 1500ZA is headed out the door this week, but it was a backup and is no longer needed.

W5IEI
01-07-2011, 06:24 AM
I'd say go with a new AL-811,for roughly the same price range,new components,and warranty.

ETA
$699.00 at AES.

WØTKX
01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
True enough, but a well cared for tube amp is decent if the price is right.

Amps are fairly simple to work on, just be careful.

And a solid state amp is wonderful... to bad they are $pendy.

W1GUH
01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
I have extra parts for that - including big, honkin' ceramic band switches. May even have a newish piece of PiDux floating around, though I suggest you change the additional 160M tank coil over to a toroid. Maybe set up an unused section of the band switch to add capacitance in parallel with the loading capacitor while you're in there.

To the OP:

Go with the SB-22x and pay no more than $500. Or find a Dentron Clipperton-L, which uses 4 572Bs. It's roughly the same price.

I recently got hold of a pair of the following:

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/amps/2KL.jpg

http://odinn.org/radio/albums/tuner/Icom_IC_AT_500.jpg

I absolutely love the cr@p outta these things. So much so that I'm thinking of selling my L7s and L75s. A Cubic 1500ZA is headed out the door this week, but it was a backup and is no longer needed.

That IC-2KL is sexy!!!! And I understand that they have a solid gold recommendation. When I bought my '720 last year, the guy also had an excellent+++ '2KL, and asking $1200 for it. If I coulda used it I would have negotiated for that one.

N7YA
01-09-2011, 06:18 AM
If i had that choice, the SB is the way to go!

WX7P
01-09-2011, 06:39 AM
I have a SB-220 with the Harbach mods I bought from K1OU 3 years ago that I STILL haven't put on the air.

W5IEI
01-09-2011, 08:55 AM
I have a SB-220 with the Harbach mods I bought from K1OU 3 years ago that I STILL haven't put on the air.

Last heard Dave you didn't need it.

Personally though,I like to feel the power:)

WX7P
01-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Last heard Dave you didn't need it.

Personally though,I like to feel the power:)

Thanks for that, Mike.

Speaking of same, are all the new toys on line?

W5IEI
01-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for that, Mike.

Speaking of same, are all the new toys on line?
Yes!
And,so far playing together nicely.