PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use one of those pet store vaccination clinics?

W4GPL
01-02-2011, 04:33 AM
Has anyone ever use one of those pet store vaccination clinics?

The local pet store chain here is having one next weekend, but the prices seem too good to be true. Are there are any gotchas? $39 for a full set of vaccines and heart worm testing? Normally that would cost me closer to $100 if I took her to the vet.. Of course, the vet would give her a checkup, but she's fine... so that's unwarranted.

Opinions welcome. :)

kb2crk
01-02-2011, 04:49 AM
i use vaccination clinics all the time. the local shelter usually runs them here in ga. in the larger towns the shelters team up with pet stores so usually it is a good deal.

KA5PIU
01-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Hello.

Yes, the full deal is usually a far better deal than at the vet.
If you feel comfortable, you can order the medicines online and do it yourself. even cheaper.
http://www.1800petmeds.com

W2NAP
01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
well. might be a good deal im not sure. but hey spending the extra going to the vet its possible the vet could find something that may not be showing yet but would lead to problems down the road.

just a thought.

WV6Z
01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
We use one of the two 'mobile vets' that we have in our area to take care of the routine maintenance type stuff...... they offer everything from all of the usual, as well as not so usual inoculations as well as prescription drug dispensing at prices equal to and less than those on line and TV advertised places. They also take care of other unpleasantries like anal gland expressing and nail trimming. Just a thought, but you may wish to see if you have any mobile vets that run a route or who have a specified calendar that would include a stop in a public spot in your area. You may find that your experience with them is as pleasant as ours. It sure saves a mint for us and our two mobile vets get great raves and marks from the vets at the regular surgeries and hospitals around these parts...... of course, your mileage may vary.

KC2UGV
01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
i use vaccination clinics all the time. the local shelter usually runs them here in ga. in the larger towns the shelters team up with pet stores so usually it is a good deal.

This is the same here. They are ran by the local shelters. I'm sure there are not "gotchas" (Could be wrong), I take my pets to the vet for vaccines so I can build up that patient-doctor relationship with the vet's office. Comes in handy when the "out of nowhere" accident or emergency comes along.

K7SGJ
01-02-2011, 12:05 PM
When we lived in town, we always used the vaccination clinics. We had 4 or 5 dogs at the time, so it helped financially. The only problem we ever experienced was some of the people in line didn't keep their dogs in tow, and a few fights broke out. We never had any problems with the vaccinations or veterinary folks. Now we use a local country vet. It's a big difference, and we really like it. As for vet vs clinic it's kinda like the difference between a regular Physician vs an HMO. With one you build up a relationship and know each other, and the other you get what you draw. If your pet is not real old, and doesn't have other problems, you can feel comfortable using the clinics, and saving a few $$ for puppy or kitty treats.

NQ6U
01-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Hell, yes. I have no medical insurance so I go to the local pet store vaccination clinic for my flu shots every year. Sometimes they'll even throw in a flea bath.

K7SGJ
01-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I heard about your visit last year. You really have to quit licking yourself like that.

W3MIV
01-02-2011, 12:44 PM
If and when I need a new vaccination or booster, I shall rely on my regular medico. 'Bout the only thing I have needed in a while has been a periodic booster for tetanus.

NA4BH
01-02-2011, 01:29 PM
If they are offering rabies shots, they have to be given by a licensed Veterinarian. Ask who the manufacturer of the other vaccines is. A lot of the "Feed store/pet shop" stuff is garbage. Heartworm checks? Ask who has the license to make such a diagnosis. If a Vet Tech is doing this, they need to be under the direct supervision of a Veterinarian (they can't freelance).

kb2vxa
01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
A full set of shots for $39 is great considering a single flu shot costs $20. I was tested for heart worm a few weeks ago and I'm OK there so I don't need it but I could use a flea bath though.

W7XF
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
If and when I need a new vaccination or booster, I shall rely on my regular medico. 'Bout the only thing I have needed in a while has been a periodic booster for tetanus.

What about distemper or kennel cough, Albi?? :rofl:

KC2UGV
01-02-2011, 05:27 PM
If they are offering rabies shots, they have to be given by a licensed Veterinarian. Ask who the manufacturer of the other vaccines is. A lot of the "Feed store/pet shop" stuff is garbage. Heartworm checks? Ask who has the license to make such a diagnosis. If a Vet Tech is doing this, they need to be under the direct supervision of a Veterinarian (they can't freelance).

That is all per state. A vet tech is fully capable of making the heart worm check on their own (Hell, give me a drop of blood, and I can do it). I do know that Rabies vaccines here in NYS must have a stamp stating what clinic administered it, and their license number (Stamped on the tag they issue). And, in NYS, anyone can make the heart worm diagnosis, but a vet must write the script for treatment (Which is arsenic injections into the lower back muscles).

NA4BH
01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
That is all per state. A vet tech is fully capable of making the heart worm check on their own (Hell, give me a drop of blood, and I can do it). I do know that Rabies vaccines here in NYS must have a stamp stating what clinic administered it, and their license number (Stamped on the tag they issue). And, in NYS, anyone can make the heart worm diagnosis, but a vet must write the script for treatment (Which is arsenic injections into the lower back muscles).

Quite true, but legally the Vet has to order the test.

(Hell, give me a drop of blood, and I can do it)

Could you tell the difference between Dirofilaria immitis and Dipetalonema reconditum ?

KC2UGV
01-02-2011, 06:51 PM

Again, not quite true, dependent on state. NYS allows Vet techs to act in the same capacity as LPN's for humans.

Could you tell the difference between Dirofilaria immitis and Dipetalonema reconditum ?

Sure, the right stain shows the nuclei of immitis microfillaria, whereas a different stain is needed for reconditum. Not too mention tail differentiation.

NA4BH
01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Again, not quite true, dependent on state. NYS allows Vet techs to act in the same capacity as LPN's for humans.

Sure, the right stain shows the nuclei of immitis microfillaria, whereas a different stain is needed for reconditum. Not too mention tail differentiation.

Nice. Wikipedia is your friend. :lol: :lol:

KC2UGV
01-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Nice. Wikipedia is your friend. :lol: :lol:

Nah, I got to see it when my dog was diagnosed with immitis, which required the arsenic injections into her back :) And staining tends to be the main way to tell what bacteria/micro-organism you're looking at under a microscope. They all look like balls :)

W3MIV
01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
What about distemper or kennel cough, Albi?? :rofl:

Once I stopped licking my balls the kennel cough went away.

NQ6U
01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Once I stopped licking my balls the kennel cough went away.

So, was it worth it?

W4RLR
01-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I heard about your visit last year. You really have to quit licking yourself like that.He can't help it. It's a side effect from the Purina diet.

K7SGJ
01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
He can't help it. It's a side effect from the Purina diet.

Might be the time for a change of groceries.

NQ6U
01-02-2011, 10:17 PM
He can't help it. It's a side effect from the Purina diet.

Purina? Give me a break! It's Science Diet all the way for me, baby!

KA5PIU
01-02-2011, 10:41 PM

Hello.

In Texas ANYONE can order the test, any test, even lab draws on humans.
The Texas state supreme court held a challenge against the courts on a medical test of humans that people have no consent over.
http://shapleigh.org/news/3589-mandatory-blood-draw-law-goes-into-effect
You have no choice, you will be tested.
Since a MD is usually not available to do the draw and a blanket consent will not cut it, remember that this is mandatory, the courts did not want to argue the case.
The other case against the doctor only rule that killed it in Texas was the administering of drugs that are a "Known danger" by other than by or under the orders of an MD.
The drugs used for lethal injection are prescribed by a doctor who works for the state.
In fact even the DEA now admits that this is in conflict with their own rules.
Assisted suicide is against the law but execution is legal was the battle cry, and a very strong one that got on the general election ballot.

W4GPL
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Geezus f'ing krist... just shut up.

NA4BH
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
This is where I call BULLSHIT.

If anyone can order tests or anything on a human or animal, why do we need Doctors. The people that are ordering these tests are practicing medicine without a license. Last I checked this is illegal. Let me check again. It still is illegal. The Vet Techs do it under the umbrella of the Hospital/Clinic they work for. They are not "legally" able to order tests or anything on animals. But Doctors do trust the word of their Techs (which is good) and pretty much give them free rein in the clinic/hospital. Same with health care professionals (Nurses et al). They might think they are ordering them, but it is up to the Doctor to sign off on the exam. If they are not Doctors all they can do is assume. They are not supposed to diagnose or make any judgment about a patients care without the Doctors final approval. Think what you may.

And while I am on a rant:

The heartworm treatment that was administered to your dog, that was given in his back, was NOT the arsenic compound. The arsenic compound (Sodium Caparsolate) is so tissue caustic that a few drops out of the vein could rot the tissue in the animals leg (the place where it is usually administered) down to the bone. Future lawsuit. There are newer treatments out there (some approved and some not). You might check to see exactly what they gave the dog. If they tell you arsenic/Caparsolate, I would call them on it.

So think what you may, but both professions are scrutinized very carefully and those that choose not to play by their rules are sent packing. Some to jail.

KA5PIU
01-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Hello.

And that is where I say you are FOS.
I send stuff to the lab all the time.
I am a diabetic and so have everything done, 5 panel, the works.
In Texas Anyone can send something to a lab once an account is set up.
At one time diabetes meters required a script to buy, until the community at large raised hell!
But, to make this clear, Not only do I know this for a fact, I do this on a regular basis.
If you do not know what you are talking about I would suggest you keep quiet.
Again, I can order damn near any test I want in Texas and do this on a regular basis.
http://www.questdiagnostics.com/
Yes, I have an account.

w8nsi
01-03-2011, 01:59 AM
For what? A bovine STD? :)

n6hcm
01-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Purina? Give me a break! It's Science Diet all the way for me, baby!

science diet isn't what it used to be :(

KC2UGV
01-03-2011, 07:26 AM
This is where I call BULLSHIT.

If anyone can order tests or anything on a human or animal, why do we need Doctors. The people that are ordering these tests are practicing medicine without a license. Last I checked this is illegal. Let me check again. It still is illegal. The Vet Techs do it under the umbrella of the Hospital/Clinic they work for. They are not "legally" able to order tests or anything on animals. But Doctors do trust the word of their Techs (which is good) and pretty much give them free rein in the clinic/hospital. Same with health care professionals (Nurses et al). They might think they are ordering them, but it is up to the Doctor to sign off on the exam. If they are not Doctors all they can do is assume. They are not supposed to diagnose or make any judgment about a patients care without the Doctors final approval. Think what you may.

You do not need a doctor to order any and all tests. I can send a blood draw to a lab for a HIV test... You ask why we need doctors, well, the same reason we need mechanics. Sure, I know how to turn a screw here and there, and I can do an oil change or a break job. However, they have the timing lights, the AC pressure testing kit, etc. Doctors have access to write scripts (LPN's can write some scripts in NYS as well), have access to MRI machines, and a vast knowledge of medicine.

And while I am on a rant:

The heartworm treatment that was administered to your dog, that was given in his back, was NOT the arsenic compound. The arsenic compound (Sodium Caparsolate) is so tissue caustic that a few drops out of the vein could rot the tissue in the animals leg (the place where it is usually administered) down to the bone. Future lawsuit. There are newer treatments out there (some approved and some not). You might check to see exactly what they gave the dog. If they tell you arsenic/Caparsolate, I would call them on it.

My mistake. Looking over her vet records, it is melarsomine dihydrochloride, injected into the lower back. I was under the impression is was an arsenic compound.

W3WN
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Well, I'm not a doctor (although I have the handwriting of one) nor a lawyer (that's what I have K3AIR for) so I can't tell you what the laws in Pa say on the subject.

But I can tell you that the borough I live in used to hold a "rabies clinic" every spring, and they did have a licensed veterenarian present, along with a tech to administer the shots. (They may still hold the annual clinics, I just don't recall seeing the signs for them lately). I don't know if they were present as per state law, county ordinance, or just out of prudence by the borough.

The shots were cheaper than having them done at the animal hospital we used to use, and we didn't have to pay a fee for the checkup.

That being said, the vet present did quickly check the animals, and he did recommend that some of the poor critters be referred to to their vet's for follow-up. And if you hadn't gotten your annual county dog license yet, they conveniently had the forms and tags available on the spot... and the vet strongly encouraged you to take care of it on the spot if need be. The gentleman in the blue uniform with a badge & a gun on his belt reinforced that notion as well.

KA5PIU
01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Hello.

I find it kind of funny, animal cops and all.
In Texas, the SPCA and the like are reserve officers, kind of like the handicapped stall cops.
We are all sworn peace officers, I say we as I also hold such commission.
Texas does not allow for a citizen arrest and in fact private citizens are prohibited from detaining, a state prison felony.
Security guards are to "Observe and Report", nothing more.
So Texas has this next level, sort of an empowered citizen, under the Posse provision of the state constitution.
When push comes to shove, there is very little a reserve is allowed to do, we are all under the direction of a regular officer.
A reserve officer is NOT allowed to have lights and siren on his/her car nor engage in any pursuit at any time.
A reserve officer can now carry concealed but has no authority whatsoever unless in full uniform.
A reserve officer can not even work a security post unless he/she has a regular security license, mine is now expired.

suddenseer
01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Has anyone ever use one of those pet store vaccination clinics?

The local pet store chain here is having one next weekend, but the prices seem too good to be true. Are there are any gotchas? $39 for a full set of vaccines and heart worm testing? Normally that would cost me closer to $100 if I took her to the vet.. Of course, the vet would give her a checkup, but she's fine... so that's unwarranted.

Opinions welcome. :)
I assume you are referring to the puppy who ate your credit card? ;-0 My local Pet Smart has an animal hospital in the back. There is a staff of veterinarians, and assistants. I took my shitzu in for the special priced shot advertisement. I think it was $30-$40. That was the bait, and hook. When the extras were tacked on, It was higher than what my vet charges for the annual regimen. The county I reside requires a rabies vaccination, and the tag as proof. I only fell for it once. I do get my conure's food there. I have known my vet for 40 years, and trust his judgment.

Your mileage may vary.

W4GPL
01-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I assume you are referring to the puppy who ate your credit card? ;-0 My local Pet Smart has an animal hospital in the back. There is a staff of veterinarians, and assistants. I took my shitzu in for the special priced shot advertisement. I think it was $30-$40. That was the bait, and hook. When the extras were tacked on, It was higher than what my vet charges for the annual regimen. The county I reside requires a rabies vaccination, and the tag as proof. I only fell for it once. I do get my conure's food there. I have known my vet for 40 years, and trust his judgment.

Your mileage may vary.:lol: Good memory, that's her. She's no puppy, unfortunately. :( This store doesn't have a clinic in house, it seems they bring in a vet for a couple of hours every few months to run these clinics. I'm going to give it a whirl, if actually turns out to be $40 -- that's a steal. If not, I just won't go back next year. Worse case scenario is I pay just as much as I would have by taking her to my local vet. :dunno: She needs them, her current vaccines expire in the next few weeks.

NA4BH
01-03-2011, 06:04 PM
You do not need a doctor to order any and all tests. I can send a blood draw to a lab for a HIV test... You ask why we need doctors, well, the same reason we need mechanics. Sure, I know how to turn a screw here and there, and I can do an oil change or a break job. However, they have the timing lights, the AC pressure testing kit, etc. Doctors have access to write scripts (LPN's can write some scripts in NYS as well), have access to MRI machines, and a vast knowledge of medicine.

My mistake. Looking over her vet records, it is melarsomine dihydrochloride, injected into the lower back. I was under the impression is was an arsenic compound.

Whatever. You apparently work in the medical field and know all about it. So I will leave it at that.

suddenseer
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
:lol: Good memory, that's her. She's no puppy, unfortunately. :( This store doesn't have a clinic in house, it seems they bring in a vet for a couple of hours every few months to run these clinics. I'm going to give it a whirl, if actually turns out to be $40 -- that's a steal. If not, I just won't go back next year. Worse case scenario is I pay just as much as I would have by taking her to my local vet. :dunno: She needs them, her current vaccines expire in the next few weeks.When it comes to pets, if you're like me then you will take your 4 legged friend to the vet before you would take yourself to a doctor. Before I had that cancer experience I spent more in vet bills than physician bills each year. I hope it works for you, but the vet's physical exam cannot be done by an assistant. My vet feels my little girl up every year.:mrgreen:

KE7DKN
01-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Hello.

I find it kind of funny, animal cops and all.
In Texas, the SPCA and the like are reserve officers, kind of like the handicapped stall cops.
We are all sworn peace officers, I say we as I also hold such commission.

Docs or bullshit.

KC2UGV
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Whatever. You apparently work in the medical field and know all about it. So I will leave it at that.

Here, I'll give you proof so you can see yourself:
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/hiv-aids-c-22_32.html

There's tons more at-home diagnostics test kits one can get for themselves.

NA4BH
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Here, I'll give you proof so you can see yourself:
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/hiv-aids-c-22_32.html

There's tons more at-home diagnostics test kits one can get for themselves.

But that is not a nurse walking through a hospital ordering tests. You can send off any test like that on yourself that you want to (those tests play on your fear). A nurse cannot order tests on her/his own without a Doctors order. The only nurse than can order stuff is a nurse practitioner. They can write scripts and do pretty much everything a Doctor can do (with the exception of writing narcotics). But if you still don't believe that, let's get your LPN friend and the three of will go through the hospital and order stuff for the patients. Let's see how that goes. Look up what the "L" in LPN stands for. They are a step under an "RN" and the ladder starts there. But as far as home STD tests, you can send them off all day long. Big difference in the tests. You can do home DNA tests. Hell, it sounds like Dr. Cowthief does his own surgery. But, as I originally stated, a nurse cannot order any test on her/his own. IT HAS TO COME FROM A DOCTOR OR A NURSE PRACTITIONER.

But what do I know, I am only the ride-a-long guy on the recycle truck.

NQ6U
01-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Hell, it sounds like Dr. Cowthief does his own surgery.

His own brain surgery, it seems.

KC2UGV
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
But that is not a nurse walking through a hospital ordering tests. You can send off any test like that on yourself that you want to (those tests play on your fear). A nurse cannot order tests on her/his own without a Doctors order. The only nurse than can order stuff is a nurse practitioner. They can write scripts and do pretty much everything a Doctor can do (with the exception of writing narcotics). But if you still don't believe that, let's get your LPN friend and the three of will go through the hospital and order stuff for the patients. Let's see how that goes. Look up what the "L" in LPN stands for. They are a step under an "RN" and the ladder starts there. But as far as home STD tests, you can send them off all day long. Big difference in the tests. You can do home DNA tests. Hell, it sounds like Dr. Cowthief does his own surgery. But, as I originally stated, a nurse cannot order any test on her/his own. IT HAS TO COME FROM A DOCTOR OR A NURSE PRACTITIONER.

But what do I know, I am only the ride-a-long guy on the recycle truck.

My bad, I was using LPN for a Nurse Practitioner... I thought LPN meant "Licensed Nurse Practitioner"... Who can do pretty much anything a doctor can do, except for write scripts for narcotics... In fact, I had an LPN order a diagnostic test for me (Some blood work)...

But you said you need a doctor to order a test for you. That is not correct, as you can order your own tests. STD, Glucose, Cholesterol, and a host of others.

NA4BH
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
His own brain surgery, it seems.

He skipped from step 3 to step 7. :lol: :lol:

Enough hijacking, I'm done.

You can save a lot of money by using the clinics that the Vets do from time to time. Most of them will give a quick exam (for free) while you are there.

W4GPL
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
When it comes to pets, if you're like me then you will take your 4 legged friend to the vet before you would take yourself to a doctor. Before I had that cancer experience I spent more in vet bills than physician bills each year. I hope it works for you, but the vet's physical exam cannot be done by an assistant. My vet feels my little girl up every year.:mrgreen:Ain't that the truth. I'm not trying to get out of taking her to the vet, but bi-annually is fine if she doesn't exhibit any signs of being sick/hurt -- especially in this economy. I feed her the best pet food possible, she goes on long daily walks, she's well groomed.. she's not seeing a doctor more often than I do. :)

KA5PIU
01-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Hello.

No, actually I am a diabetic who may travel to other countries.
In the USA I get all of the tests done and converted to the standard UN format.
As soon as I hit the other country I register this information with the correct officials and declare my medicines.
In this manner whatever treatments that are needed can be addressed correctly.
I am systemic hyperactive and that means some drugs have the reverse effect.
Most muscle relaxants do not work correctly.
The most effective sedative for me is Dextroamphetamine.
My emergency medical pack has Dextroamphetamine Sulfate as well as Epinephrine, Atropine Sulfate and Morphine.
All are very much controlled items in most countries.
Bottom line is that I go places where medical treatment may be hours away.
And, before everybody gets all excited, look at the medical supplies on board a ship or large aircraft, what I have and do is nothing new.

NA4BH
01-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Hello.

No, actually I am a diabetic who may travel to other countries.
In the USA I get all of the tests done and converted to the standard UN format.
As soon as I hit the other country I register this information with the correct officials and declare my medicines.
In this manner whatever treatments that are needed can be addressed correctly.
I am systemic hyperactive and that means some drugs have the reverse effect.
Most muscle relaxants do not work correctly.
The most effective sedative for me is Dextroamphetamine.
My emergency medical pack has Dextroamphetamine Sulfate as well as Epinephrine, Atropine Sulfate and Morphine.
All are very much controlled items in most countries.
Bottom line is that I go places where medical treatment may be hours away.
And, before everybody gets all excited, look at the medical supplies on board a ship or large aircraft, what I have and do is nothing new.

Explain the standard UN format.

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Explain the standard UN format.

It's a conspiracy to take over the United States with black Bell 47 helicopters carrying tacos.

KA5PIU
01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Hello.

There are several standard UN forms for reporting medical conditions, everything from vaccinations to death.
Like an international drivers license, in and of themselves they hold no authority but are an adjunct to the original document.
But by submitting the completed forms with certified copies of the original documents this is available to all UN member nations.
http://www.who.int/topics/en/