PDA

View Full Version : The Yaesu FT-250R Monoband HT

n2ize
01-01-2011, 06:40 PM
So far I've had my Yaesu FT-250R 2 meter FM compact handheld for about a week and this far all I can say is , its a nice radio. Keypad operation is almost identical to my old FT-470 dual bander so, operation of the radio was very easy for me to get used to.

The unit features a 1400 mah NiMh battery pack, drop in quick charger, 3 power levels, 1/2, 2 and 5 watts, 200 (alpha/numeric) memory channels, lots of scanning options, wide/narrow modulation, DTMF, DCS, CTCSS, Smart Search, ART's and more. Physically, the radio itself is quite compact, feels very sturdy, and is in general a nice looking radio. Fits nicely in my jacket pocket and is not clumsy or awkward. In addition to serving as a 2 meter rig it also serves as a public service radio so I can monitor a few of my favorite public services, i.e. FDNY Fire radio, Local railroad, Subways, Local county PD, Coast Guard, and some miscellaneous stuff.

heat dissipation and battery life seem good. last night I had a lengthy QSO over a repeater running on high power (5 watts) and making some long (for VHF) transmissions. The radio got slightly warm but at no point did it get hot like my 470 used to. Also, the battery held out. Even after I signed off still had plenty of power left. Recharge is quick, 3-4 hours and it's fully charged.

Drawbacks...

1) it is a monobander thus it doesn't have the dual band, duplex, crossband reatures that my FT-470 does.
2) It uses an SMA antenna connector. I need an adapter to fit my other antennas which all use BNC connectors.
3) Lighting... the display and key lighting could be a bit brighter but, for all intent and purposes it adequate.

overall, so far the advantages far outweight the few minor drawbacks. Of course I haven't had it long enough to comment on long term performance.

For a radio that cost me < $120 brand new it seems like a nice radio. I think I will like it.

N8YX
01-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Glad you're happy with the rig, John. We love our VX6 and 7Rs - they're also waterproof which is a huge plus when using the rigs in the outdoors.