PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's

W5IEI
12-31-2010, 07:02 AM
Well,I hate to admit it,but I've found something pretty decent at micky D's.
Their grilled chicken Cesar salad is pretty good.

NQ6U
12-31-2010, 08:27 AM
You can also get a pretty decent cup o' Joe at Mickey D's these days. Cheap, too.

W3MIV
12-31-2010, 08:54 AM
I think McDonalds's coffee is better than Starbucks and cheaper to boot. Some of the McDonalds I have been to are equipped with free WiFi; I stayed at a (horrendous) Red Roof in Rochester and they wanted to charge me daily for internet, but the McDonalds right next door had an open, free, broadband WiFi router. They encouraged customers to stay, have a breakfast and suck down their excellent coffee while working online. Same thing with one in VA at Wilderness.

Their Cobb salad is excellent and, compared with the other usual offerings, very low in fat.

W5GA
12-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Ah, McD's. At least they are consistent. A Big Mac in Tokyo is just as bad as the one you buy here.

KC2UGV
12-31-2010, 10:39 AM
You can also get a pretty decent cup o' Joe at Mickey D's these days. Cheap, too.

Yeah, it's not bad coffee. I actually don't mind stopping there for coffee over another place.

I think McDonalds's coffee is better than Starbucks and cheaper to boot. Some of the McDonalds I have been to are equipped with free WiFi; I stayed at a (horrendous) Red Roof in Rochester and they wanted to charge me daily for internet, but the McDonalds right next door had an open, free, broadband WiFi router. They encouraged customers to stay, have a breakfast and suck down their excellent coffee while working online. Same thing with one in VA at Wilderness.

Their Cobb salad is excellent and, compared with the other usual offerings, very low in fat.

I've been switching to McDonald's more often for remote work just for that reason. Starbucks and other coffee houses seemed to want to rush customers out, once they started getting popular.

suddenseer
12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
You can also get a pretty decent cup o' Joe at Mickey D's these days. Cheap, too.When my local McD started selling the new java I hit the jackpot. The staff was not aware of the new products yet. They were filling up the coffee cups with espresso, and selling it for $1.00. 4 shots for a dollar. That only lasted a month.

KG4CGC
12-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Ah, McD's. At least they are consistent. A Big Mac in Tokyo is just as bad as the one you buy here.
Haven't had the one in Tokyo but so far, every cheese burger at every Mickey Dees is indeed exactly the same. Can't eat the stuff though and I was never a big fan but the times I did, even the sesame seeds were in exactly the same place on the bun.

I don't know what's in their food but it makes me depressed and whatever it is there is a lot in it. More so than the average food at the store which I would use as a standard for background levels of whatever it is.

KG4CGC
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
When my local McD started selling the new java I hit the jackpot. The staff was not aware of the new products yet. They were filling up the coffee cups with espresso, and selling it for $1.00. 4 shots for a dollar. That only lasted a month.
Nah, they were just baiting the public and setting the hook!

suddenseer
12-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Nah, they were just baiting the public and setting the hook!It worked. If I get drive thru java, it's the golden arches. I can go years without tasting the food though.

W3WN
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Starbucks sells coffee?

I know what they call that bitter sludge, but it's not coffee!

KA5PIU
01-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Hello.

If there was an error on the one month coffee thing they must have done it nationwide, they did that here also.
And, yes! the coffee at McDonalds is now excellent!
Some of the salads are not bad, even the side salads are OK.

n6hcm
01-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Well,I hate to admit it,but I've found something pretty decent at micky D's.
Their grilled chicken Cesar salad is pretty good.

when i worked in an office a few doors down from a mcd's i used to go this route. the folks at this restaurant would let you substitute dressing freely, and i'd pass on the caesar and have the vinaigrette instead.

haven't had a coffee at mcd's in years ... i suppose their new stuff is worth trying--their old stuff was weak. many locations have wayport wi-fi, but i find those places too busy to stick around and compute.

the starbucks i frequent doesn't rush people out (not even the guy who never seems to have a current beverage and has been napping in the corner for hours, which is kinda annoying). they also remember people's names, drinks, ...

KC2UGV
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
when i worked in an office a few doors down from a mcd's i used to go this route. the folks at this restaurant would let you substitute dressing freely, and i'd pass on the caesar and have the vinaigrette instead.

haven't had a coffee at mcd's in years ... i suppose their new stuff is worth trying--their old stuff was weak. many locations have wayport wi-fi, but i find those places too busy to stick around and compute.

the starbucks i frequent doesn't rush people out (not even the guy who never seems to have a current beverage and has been napping in the corner for hours, which is kinda annoying). they also remember people's names, drinks, ...

I think Starbucks in 6-land is most likely a lot different than Starbuck's elsewhere. Especially in San Fran :)

W1GUH
01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
There is a difference in burgers between different McD's, and for that matter, booger-flings (Thanks Tim, for that wonderful nick-name!). Each of those nearest to me are just horrible -- they don't seem to have grasped the concept of "hot" meat...the last burger from each has been disgustingly tepid.

That's a pity. Big Macs have historically been a stomach settler for me. If I was feeling a little "off", I'd get a Big Mac meal & it took good care of me.

Albi - was that Red Roof in "Rochester" actually the one in Henrietta? I stayed in the Super 8 there many times when my parents were alive when I was driving out to Michigan. Did you get to the George Eastman House?

n6hcm
01-05-2011, 04:52 AM
I think Starbucks in 6-land is most likely a lot different than Starbuck's elsewhere. Especially in San Fran :)

this is the starbucks i patronize (http://www.yelp.com/biz/starbucks-san-francisco-52). there are, basically, two kinds of reviews shown in the listing: reviews from regulars (routinely four or five stars) and reviews from others, who are annoyed that it is small (it's not a several-thousand-sq-ft place with upholstered chairs), or corporate (dude, it's a fscking starbucks!), or that, because it's small, they don't have all the facilities that they do at the uber-starbucks ... whatever.

W4RLR
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I have breakfast at McDonalds regularly. I tried the oatmeal and it is pretty good. Usually I go for the bacon and cheese McGriddle combo with a cinnamon bun and a yogurt. Orange juice and a caramel latte on the side. The free WiFi, free newspaper, and television with Fox News is icing on the cake.

NQ6U
01-06-2011, 05:16 PM
this is the starbucks i patronize (http://www.yelp.com/biz/starbucks-san-francisco-52).

18th and Castro? Is you one o' them homersexuals?

kc7jty
01-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Is you one o' them homersexuals?
dint u kno?

NQ6U
01-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I knew. It was an attempt at a joke that fell flat. I apologize to anyone who was offended.

n2ize
01-06-2011, 11:37 PM
As far as fast food goes I like White Castle's and Wendy's 99 cent burgers.

n6hcm
01-07-2011, 04:26 AM
I knew. It was an attempt at a joke that fell flat. I apologize to anyone who was offended.

no offense taken.

NQ6U
01-07-2011, 02:43 PM
no offense taken.

Thanks--that's a relief. Truly.

n2ize
01-07-2011, 03:27 PM

The best cup of coffee to be had was at the old "Horn n Hardart" automat. Sadly the automat is long gone. There was something special about an automat in the wee hours of the morning.

W7XF
01-11-2011, 01:02 AM
I have breakfast at McDonalds regularly. I tried the oatmeal and it is pretty good. Usually I go for the bacon and cheese McGriddle combo with a cinnamon bun and a yogurt. Orange juice and a caramel latte on the side. The free WiFi, free newspaper, and television with Fox News is icing on the cake.

OMG!!! You watch Faux Noize???? THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!

W3WN
01-11-2011, 09:20 AM
The best cup of coffee to be had was at the old "Horn n Hardart" automat. Sadly the automat is long gone. There was something special about an automat in the wee hours of the morning.

I once tried to explain what an Automat was. Most native Pittsburgher's don't "get" it. I always thought it was a pretty neat concept.

kc7jty
01-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Why does someone always have to be offended? I don't have a problem with gays. I know they are as natural as heteros.
I sometimes use cock sucker negatively referring to a male because it's been branded into my vocabulary over 60 years. I hope that can be understood by those who may have the right to be offended.
It doesn't take long to really know who can't tolerate what, provided you have the unbiased ability to do so objectively.

NQ6U
01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
OMG!!! You watch Faux Noize???? THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!

No accounting for taste. Or the lack thereof.

NQ6U
01-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Changed my mind. Nothing to see here, move along.

KØWVM
01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Mmmmm Quarter pounder with cheese meal and your favorite beverage to boot. They have some killer fries! (No pun intended).

After hanging out with some ham radio friends on a Friday night a few times a month. I will sometimes stop by McD's and grab me a tasty burger meal.

kc7jty
01-12-2011, 02:20 AM
Mickey's is tolerable for breakfast, and a fishwich
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:FKFdDoJfhL9OTM:http://www.adn.com/static/includes/highliner/mcdonalds.jpg&t=1
as well as their fries can keep one from starving to death in a pinch. That's it for me. I can't do their burgers.

W3MIV
01-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Mickey's is tolerable for breakfast, and a fishwich

as well as their fries can keep one from starving to death in a pinch. That's it for me. I can't do their burgers.

Agree. The chicken sammich was also decent, and they had some good salads going (Cobb my favorite), but I haven't been in a McD in so long I don't know what they are pushing now.

I used to stop regularly at a McD in Opal VA on US29/15 (just at the US217 turnoff to F'burg). Gas and a bite. Either that chicken sammich, the fish sammich or the salad and a coffee. Good coffee. Now that I am sold out of VA, I no longer make the trip and no longer stop at any of McD's plentiful cholesterol emporia.

w3bny
01-12-2011, 09:32 AM

I was offended..<sniffle>

NQ6U
01-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I was offended..<sniffle>

And I apologized. Now you're gonna whine and make me feel even worse? Jeeze, you're just like my XYL... ;)

W1GUH
01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Agree. The chicken sammich was also decent, and they had some good salads going (Cobb my favorite), but I haven't been in a McD in so long I don't know what they are pushing now.

I used to stop regularly at a McD in Opal VA on US29/15 (just at the US217 turnoff to F'burg). Gas and a bite. Either that chicken sammich, the fish sammich or the salad and a coffee. Good coffee. Now that I am sold out of VA, I no longer make the trip and no longer stop at any of McD's plentiful cholesterol emporia.

When I'm on the road, and the only options for puttin' on the feedbag are the usual fast-food suspects and I wind up at McD's against my will*, I'm always amazed at how much better the food is than in the places I've been to in the city. Like I said previously, It's been a looooong time since I got a McBurger, or a booger-fling whopper that was actually hot, or even warm. Guess McD's and the other places can practice their corporate policies everywhere but in NYC?

*Not that I really mind the food. I've said previously that a good Big Mac is a wonderful palliative when my guts are feeling a little "off." I'm just really, really tired of them and miss the good ol' time greasy burgers that used to be served in roadside cafe's.

When I looked up "palliative", the first definition was "something that palliates. " So I had to look up "palliate". Frequin dictionary writers!

Then, when I copied "palliative" from the page to ensure proper spelling, what wound up on the clipboard was "jugum forfend affable egregious palliative". WTF? Can anyone figure out what's common between those words!

W5GA
01-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Can anyone figure out what's common between those words!
They are all something Albi would use?

W3MIV
01-14-2011, 09:17 PM
They are all something Albi would use?

Only after a very satisfying session with a single malt. ;)

n2ize
01-18-2011, 06:56 AM
I once tried to explain what an Automat was. Most native Pittsburgher's don't "get" it. I always thought it was a pretty neat concept.

My first and most memorable romance started at the automat at 4:00am.

I heard that some company was trying to bring back the automat. This was several years ago. I don;t know how they made out.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LaYM8zSeraA/S-d0ahzTJJI/AAAAAAAAAfs/HemMtF9JApU/s1600/edward-hopper-automat.jpg

W3MIV
01-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I would rather that they could bring back Edward Hopper.

NQ6U
01-18-2011, 08:19 AM
I would rather that they could bring back Edward Hopper.

RR that, Albi. He's a favorite.

(Saw "Nighthawks" at the Chicago Art Institute, BTW. Great place to go if you're an art lover.)

W1GUH
01-18-2011, 08:44 AM

I heard that some company was trying to bring back the automat. This was several years ago. I don;t know how they made out.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LaYM8zSeraA/S-d0ahzTJJI/AAAAAAAAAfs/HemMtF9JApU/s1600/edward-hopper-automat.jpg

Seems I heard something about Chock full of Nuts (huh-huh) opening a place in NY recently. Can't find anything on it, though.

For burgers, I remember that Hayes & Bickford's in Boston had great ones in the mid-60's, especially on Boylston street. For the 4:00 AM drunken crowd, there was always the Waldorf (no relation to the hotel), also on Boylston Street.

Thanks for the great Hopper image. There's a Hopper exhibition at the Whitney right now.

n6hcm
01-19-2011, 04:12 AM
they still have automats in other countries ... i haven't been to amsterdam in a few years but i remember a few in the city center. they seem to mostly attract the party crowd (after the proper restaurants are closed).

W3WN
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat

At one time there were 40 Horn & Hardart automats in New York City alone. The last one closed in 1991 after the company, which was exiting the restaurant business, failed to find a buyer for it. At the time, the quality of the food was described by some customers as on the decline.

In an attempt to bring back automats in New York City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City), a company called Bamn! opened a new East Village (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Village,_Manhattan) store in 2006. The store did not last, however, and quietly closed in March of 2009.

KA5PIU
01-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Hello.

Vending machine hell, in a building all its own, pretty much sums it up.

W1GUH
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I think I remember reading an item that said one of those chains had opened a new automat some time in the last few years. I think it was "Chock Full of Nuts". (And even if it wasn't, that's a fun name to type!)

KA5PIU
01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I think I remember reading an item that said one of those chains had opened a new automat some time in the last few years. I think it was "Chock Full of Nuts". (And even if it wasn't, that's a fun name to type!)

Hello.

You are going to just love this.
http://www.chockfullonuts.com/#/jingle

Chris
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
lacking a starbucks and/or an espresso machine, this ex barrista finds the mcd's mocha coffee to be pretty fair, but like all other establishments they want way too much federal reserve note for flavored, heated water

KC2UGV
01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
lacking a starbucks and/or an espresso machine, this ex barrista finds the mcd's mocha coffee to be pretty fair, but like all other establishments they want way too much federal reserve note for flavored, heated water

It's $1 for a cup of Joe. And, it's aint half bad. Give it a whirl, you'll like it, I think.

WB2WIK
01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I remember Chock Full O' Nuts automats in NYC. And also their Heavenly Coffee. Which gave me heartburn.

KØWVM
01-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I remember Chock Full O' Nuts automats in NYC. And also their Heavenly Coffee. Which gave me heartburn.

Kinda like deez nuts?

http://www.poppadsnuts.com/

w3bny
01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Kinda like deez nuts?

Classic.... "Hey joe...they are looking for you...Who's looking for me....DEEZ MUFUGGIN NUUUUTZ"

KA5PIU
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Hello.

That just sounds wrong!