PDA

View Full Version : Hamvention 2011

KC9ECI
12-30-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm looking at hotels in the area, any recommendations? My bride is tagging along this year along with the youngest. While I could get away with sleeping in a cardboard box behind a Hara Arena dumpster, she has other requirements. The place we stay must have a breakfast, and should have a pool.

W3WN
12-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, my group (arrangements courtesy of NB3C for members of my club and 2 other clubs) stay at the University of Dayton. It's about 15 - 20 minutes away, but it's cheap, and the dorm rooms all have kitchenettes.

Sorry, that's the best I can tell you right now.

KC2UGV
12-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, my group (arrangements courtesy of NB3C for members of my club and 2 other clubs) stay at the University of Dayton. It's about 15 - 20 minutes away, but it's cheap, and the dorm rooms all have kitchenettes.

Sorry, that's the best I can tell you right now.

Uni of Dayton? Is there a link for reservations, or is it a "Special Consideration" type of deal for your clubs?

N8YX
12-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Hampton at Englewood.

I would call RFN if you want a room.

KC9ECI
12-31-2010, 08:10 AM
That's where I've stayed the years that I've been before. No room at the Inn. Nice and close to Hara and the kegger and food on Friday night is always a plus.

N9FE
12-31-2010, 08:16 AM
Hampton at Englewood.

I would call RFN if you want a room.

Thats where a bunch of wisconsinite festers stay.

W3WN
01-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Uni of Dayton? Is there a link for reservations, or is it a "Special Consideration" type of deal for your clubs?
I honestly don't know how they're contacted, but there's no special consideration. They are well aware of Hamvention, so it's no special consideration for our group.

Check their website for information.

KØWVM
01-06-2011, 03:17 AM
You could try some of the hotels down by Wright-Patterson AFB there in Fairborn or Beavercreek. When I was stationed there it was fairly decent then and you could probably check that area out if you don't mind a little bit of a commute.

n0iu
01-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Do NOT stay at the Knight's Inn! The place appears to have been built as someone's high school shop project!

W4RLR
01-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I plan on staying at Wright-Patterson AFB. If I don't haul my fifth-wheel trailer with me, I'll stay at the BEQ. Being a retired NCO does have its privileges.

W3WN
01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
So, who IS going to Hamvention in 2011, and do we actually dare try to meet somewhere?

NQ6U
01-07-2011, 10:18 PM
So, who IS going to Hamvention in 2011, and do we actually dare try to meet somewhere?

I'd love to, but I can't see it happening for me this year without divine intervention. Probably for the best, though--I'd fear that if too many Islanders were to gather together in one place they could reach some of of critical mass and cause an explosion.

KC9ECI
01-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Hotel is reserved, tickets are ordered. If anyone wants to catch up at Hara and have a tasty cold beer and swap amusing war stories I'm game.

N8YX
01-14-2011, 02:37 PM
We're in. Myself, 'DSG and suddenseer almost managed to get ourselves "excused" from the Tumbleweed at Englewood; imagine what would happen if more of us were to gather in one spot. And that episode really didn't involve a lot of alcohol. :snicker:

NQ6U
01-14-2011, 03:08 PM
We're in. Myself, 'DSG and suddenseer almost managed to get ourselves "excused" from the Tumbleweed at Englewood; imagine what would happen if more of us were to gather in one spot. And that episode really didn't involve a lot of alcohol. :snicker:

Wish I could be there. I haven't been thrown out of a joint in years; guess I haven't been trying hard enough.

suddenseer
01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
We're in. Myself, 'DSG and suddenseer almost managed to get ourselves "excused" from the Tumbleweed at Englewood; imagine what would happen if more of us were to gather in one spot. And that episode really didn't involve a lot of alcohol. :snicker:Sir please define "a lot":evil:

N8YX
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Sir please define "a lot":evil:
More than we drank that afternoon. :snicker:

W3WN
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
More than we drank that afternoon. :snicker:
I hope I don't end up regretting this... but the next time you & 'DSG are in the neighborhood, stop by. I have a lot of cold beer in the fridge that I'm not allowed to drink anymore, and I don't want it to go to waste.

Just don't imbibe before you return home!

suddenseer
01-17-2011, 05:17 AM
We're in. Myself, 'DSG and suddenseer almost managed to get ourselves "excused" from the Tumbleweed at Englewood; imagine what would happen if more of us were to gather in one spot. And that episode really didn't involve a lot of alcohol. :snicker:My first public intoxication was at the FM Bash. It used to be at a downtown hotel, so we were very tipsy went up to the room, crashed. My Elmers taught me well.:lol:

N8YX
01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
I hope I don't end up regretting this... but the next time you & 'DSG are in the neighborhood, stop by. I have a lot of cold beer in the fridge that I'm not allowed to drink anymore, and I don't want it to go to waste.

Just don't imbibe before you return home!
If one of us drinks, the other drinks iced tea - unless we're in walking distance of the hotel -or- we have enough time to metabolize it off.

Last night was Nicki's turn; I drove. Next time is mine ... :whistle: :snicker:

N8YX
01-17-2011, 08:01 AM
My first public intoxication was at the FM Bash. It used to be at a downtown hotel, so we were very tipsy went up to the room, crashed. My Elmers taught me well.:lol:
We typically don't get out-of-control when in public. At friends' and around the fire pit is a whole 'nother story.

KC9ECI
05-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm heading out tomorrow. Any of you want to pick a 70CM simplex freq/pl to monitor while there?

KG4CGC
05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
If anyone wants to try an HF contact while you're at Dayton, say something here.
PM me for my phone#.

W3WN
05-17-2011, 09:23 PM
If anyone wants to try an HF contact while you're at Dayton, say something here.
PM me for my phone#.Well, I'm riding out Thursday evening with K3AIR.

You should see his HF mobile antenna!

I'm hoping to get in a little HF mobile, but we'll see... Mike's GF will be riding along as well, and I don't want to be rude.

KG4CGC
05-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Well, I'm riding out Thursday evening with K3AIR.

You should see his HF mobile antenna!

I'm hoping to get in a little HF mobile, but we'll see... Mike's GF will be riding along as well, and I don't want to be rude.
I should have added, a contact with me here in EM84ru!

N8YX
05-18-2011, 05:04 AM
We're probably not gonna go. Last minute SNAFU with a garage door provider/installer and a host of other issues besides.

Y'all enjoy the fun, locate FredCo and tell the Elite that our Uncle Freddy loves 'em all ... :whistle:

W3WN
05-18-2011, 07:40 AM
We're probably not gonna go. Last minute SNAFU with a garage door provider/installer and a host of other issues besides.

Y'all enjoy the fun, locate FredCo and tell the Elite that our Uncle Freddy loves 'em all ... :whistle:Sorry to hear that. If anything changes at the last minute, though, hope we run into you.

See you at Breezeshooters?

N8YX
05-18-2011, 07:52 AM
See you at Breezeshooters?
Without a doubt.

W7XF
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Well... I haven't got my next dispatch yet, but with the fact that I'm sitting in Yakima, WA at this moment, I'd have to hammer the shit out of this truck to make it to Dayton...

W1GUH
05-18-2011, 12:28 PM
You could try some of the hotels down by Wright-Patterson AFB there in Fairborn or Beavercreek. When I was stationed there it was fairly decent then and you could probably check that area out if you don't mind a little bit of a commute.

Been to the Holiday Inn there...staying there this weekend. It's fine. Also the suites (forget which flavore) next door is good, too.

NQ6U
05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm sitting in Yakima, WA at this moment

Picking up a load of hops?

KC9ECI
05-19-2011, 05:39 AM
I've got the APRS running in the car. Didn't bring any HF goodness though. You can follow my progress at http://aprs.fi/?call=kc9eci-1&mt=roadmap&z=11&timerange=10800

W7XF
05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Well...unless Hara Arena somehow moves to the Strip, I ain't gonna be there.

KC9ECI
05-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Let the games begin. I'll be around the LnR/SKCC booth in the Ball arena. BA0404

N8YX
05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Wish we could be there. At the moment I'm waiting on the HVAC installers to wrap up our new central air install. Old unit was getting a little long in the tooth and 'DSG just loves a sale.

suddenseer
05-20-2011, 10:53 AM
I have not seen any 'whackermobiles' driving around yet. I usually see them a few days before the big event. I would guess they are still deployed in the tornado/flooding disasters. Attendance may be down this year for that reason.

W1GUH
05-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Got here today but didn't do much hamvention. Immediately found the 2 DC supplies I was looking for, then decided screw it...I'm beat and came back to the hotel for rest. There's always tomorrow!

n6hcm
06-04-2011, 09:38 PM
shop now and be prepared for hamvention 2012! (http://shirt.woot.com/)