PDA

View Full Version : Vanity call? I think I got it!!!!

W3MPS
12-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Looks like I'll be awarded my vanity call sign. Can't wait until I can trade in KB3QPF for W3MPS!!

*party dance*

Woo hoo!!!!

Thus endeth my little bit of celebration. Thank you for putting up with my mild bit of exuberance here.

Oh, and who do I talk to about changing my user name? I seriously doubt I'll ever get rid of my upcoming call sign.

suddenseer
12-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like I'll be awarded my vanity call sign. Can't wait until I can trade in KB3QPF for W3MPS!!

*party dance*

Woo hoo!!!!

Thus endeth my little bit of celebration. Thank you for putting up with my mild bit of exuberance here.

Oh, and who do I talk to about changing my user name? I seriously doubt I'll ever get rid of my upcoming call sign.Any ADMIN can fix it i bet. Jeff W4GPL is the head geek in charge. I was drinking the night my vanity call went through, I did not know about it until the next day. Got my second choice in the list of 10.

W3WN
12-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Looks like someone put in for it 10 years ago. They got their first choice... K3MPS.

AE7Q's site shows you at Pending Level 2, so that's a very good sign. Just have to wait on the bureaucracy to process everything.

Congrats!

W5GA
12-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Most cool!

W5RB
12-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Both www.ae7q.com and www.vanityhq.com predict your app will succeed .You paid the fee online , I presume . Pass the redlight review , and the rest is just waiting time . Look for it on the ULS just after midnight Eastern time , on the 13th .

W3MPS
12-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Yeah, it's pretty much hurry up and wait now.

Look's like I won't be free to test for my general until January 26th. Ugh, sucks having limited availability! "Just three more semesters" has been my latest mantra. My girlfriend still wonders how I keep my sanity going to school full time and working full time. I'll be lucky to have time to think about ham radio, let alone do anything!

Oh, and thank you for the congratulations.

VK3ZL
12-30-2010, 03:03 AM
Pardon me for my Down under ignorance but what exactly is a vanity call sign? How do I differentiate between the various classes of amateur qualifications in the USA??

Even in VK these days things have changed with a new class of Weeties packet 4 letter F ( foundation license) call signs and with the elimination of CW from the license qualification, I no longer know who is supposed to be on what band down here...I am pretty safe though as I only work CW 160 meters, ignore VK stations and work DX....:-D

Bob..VK3ZL..

W4RLR
12-30-2010, 04:01 AM
Pardon me for my Down under ignorance but what exactly is a vanity call sign? How do I differentiate between the various classes of amateur qualifications in the USA??

Even in VK these days things have changed with a new class of Weeties packet 4 letter F ( foundation license) call signs and with the elimination of CW from the license qualification, I no longer know who is supposed to be on what band down here...I am pretty safe though as I only work CW 160 meters, ignore VK stations and work DX....:-D

Bob..VK3ZL..Bob, a vanity call sign is one issued by the FCC that, with certain limitations, is selected by the amateur instead of being arbitrarily assigned. There are certain rules as to who can have certain types of call signs (some are restricted to the Amateur Extra class) but an amateur can select from a pool of available call signs that are maintained on certain web sites, apply to the FCC with the payment of a small fee, and if approved, the amateur has a new call sign, usually with a certain meaning to that amateur.

In my case, I am former KI4PEQ. I saw that W4RLR was available and applied for the call, was approved, and it is now my amateur call. The significance for me is the last three letters are my initials. I wanted the same call area, and was able to keep it. Another significance is I can now say my call is "Whiskey Four Richard Lawrence Ray" which is my favorite adult beverage.

As for determining an amateur's privileges based on the call sign. it's a bit of a crap shoot. New amateurs should know where they can and cannot transmit, and if they have doubts, a copy of the band plan at the operating station is a good aid to legal and considerate operation.

Cheers.

w2amr
12-30-2010, 06:32 AM

W3PMS was taken?

K7SGJ
12-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Some angry chick got it.

PA5COR
12-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Luckily we can change our callsign online, takes 3 days to gett the papers.
Any new ham can do the same, just the difference in classes is clar, Novice PDx-xxx and A/Morse/F Pax-xxx etc or PAx1 letter any combo is possible 1 2 or 3 letters as suffix, .

Doesn't cost us anything either.

N8YX
12-30-2010, 09:35 AM
A 1x2 is nice, but I'd gladly pay $500 every 10 for a 1x1.... :whistle:

W3MIV
12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
As for determining an amateur's privileges based on the call sign. it's a bit of a crap shoot. New amateurs should know where they can and cannot transmit, and if they have doubts, a copy of the band plan at the operating station is a good aid to legal and considerate operation.

It's a total crap-shoot in my view. I was originally licensed as N3MIV (I changed to the "W" prefix for nostalgia on a sperm of the moment when I saw the call had become available). Unless one is animated enough to make the effort to check every call in the database, it is almost impossible to tell if a particular ham is working in an unauthorized band segment.

In the final appraisal, what difference does it really make if the guy (or gal) is doing everything well and not causing a problem? By the same token, what solace is there in an AE acting like an ass anywhere on the bands? I have come to the conclusion that we should have an entry class license and a general class license, the one restricting operations to ten meters and above and the other open to all.

W2NAP
12-30-2010, 09:48 AM
A 1x2 is nice, but I'd gladly pay $500 every 10 for a 1x1.... :whistle:

had i been a extra when i got my vanity. id of tryed to snag K9FU or W9FU just for lulz

W2NAP
12-30-2010, 09:50 AM
It's a total crap-shoot in my view. I was originally licensed as N3MIV (I changed to the "W" prefix for nostalgia on a sperm of the moment when I saw the call had become available). Unless one is animated enough to make the effort to check every call in the database, it is almost impossible to tell if a particular ham is working in an unauthorized band segment.

In the final appraisal, what difference does it really make if the guy (or gal) is doing everything well and not causing a problem? By the same token, what solace is there in an AE acting like an ass anywhere on the bands? I have come to the conclusion that we should have an entry class license and a general class license, the one restricting operations to ten meters and above and the other open to all.

I agree. 2 classes. entry small section of 10 (maybe keep a couple cw tech/novice open as well) and 6meters + and then a gen license all bands

suddenseer
12-30-2010, 10:09 AM
It's a total crap-shoot in my view. I was originally licensed as N3MIV (I changed to the "W" prefix for nostalgia on a sperm of the moment when I saw the call had become available)Damn, I just thought you were ...OLD.

W5RB
12-30-2010, 10:14 AM

Bob..VK3ZL..

Bob ,

Novice: Group "D" - 2x3

Technician: Group "C" - 1x3
Group "D" - 2x3

General: Group "C" - 1x3
Group "D" - 2x3

Advanced: Group "D" - 2x3
Group "C" - 1x3
Group "B" - 2x2*[K, N or W]

Extra: Group "D" - 2x3
Group "C" - 1x3
Group "B" - 2x2
Group "A" - 2x1, 1x2

http://www.eastlakecert.org/HAM/map.gif

Here's the gist of the US callsign layout , hopefully fairly complete , without turning into an epic .Prefixes are either single-letter W , K , or N , or double-letter WA-WZ , KA-KZ , NA-NZ or AA-AL .
Suffixes may be from 1 to 3 letters , with 1x1 calls reserved for short-duration special events . Certain prefixes are reserved for Hawaii , Alaska , Puerto Rico , and other outlying areas .

New licensees , or those requesting a new sequential callsign , currently get a 2x3 if they're Technician or General class , or a 2x2 if they're Amateur Extra class . For instance , the most recently issued calls in my district are KF5JKB and AE5VQ . Though Novice , Tech Plus , and Advanced licenses are no longer issued , they are renewable , so those classes continue to exist .

Licensees may request any unused combination (with a few exclusions ) , within the groups appropriate for their class of license , as a Vanity callsign . While sequential callsigns follow the areas shown in the map , Vanities are not required to do so . Nonetheless , about 90% of US calls remain “in-district” as far as area numbers are concerned . Hams may keep their original calls through upgrades in class . For example , although KD5QIQ is an Extra , he has chosen to keep his original callsign . Folks choose “vanity “ calls for several reasons , not all vain . Some choose to memorialize SK friends or relatives , or to replace calls that are just awkward to use .

Details of the privileges for various classes can be found elsewhere , but Tech is the entry level , mostly VHF and above , with some SSB on 10 meters , and CW on other HF bands . General allows operations in every mode and band , and Extra offers the maximum spectrum in each band , including some preferred DX frequencies .

I was trying to keep this brief and complete . I've succeeded in neither , but maybe I've provided some more understanding than you had before .

suddenseer
12-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Folks choose “vanity “ calls for several reasons , not all vain .... I was vain. I wanted my initials. I applied when the 2nd vanity callsign gate opened. I remember the wait was months, and months. They(FCC) were apparently having problems writing an algorithm that was fair, and complete. They had thousands of applications to be considered randomly. They did it with no fanfare the night Bob Dole lost the 1996 election. I was at the state headquarters getting thoroughly smashed. I was lucky, I got my second choice. My first was W8TB wasn't meant to happen.

KC2UGV
12-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree. 2 classes. entry small section of 10 (maybe keep a couple cw tech/novice open as well) and 6meters + and then a gen license all bands

Basically, they should just keep everything the same, except eliminate the general class license. You are either a tech, with limited HF access (But full access to everything above 10), and the Extra class has full privileges on all the bands.

Generals just stop getting issued, like the Advanced class licensees.

W3WN
12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Basically, they should just keep everything the same, except eliminate the general class license. You are either a tech, with limited HF access (But full access to everything above 10), and the Extra class has full privileges on all the bands.

Generals just stop getting issued, like the Advanced class licensees.
We're clearly heading back to the '50's (pre-incentive licensing) when on HF, the only practical difference between General and Extra was... the test. [And Advanced, the old Class A, was renewable but otherwise no longer available]

It's also pretty clear that the business-oriented bureaucrats and lawyers running the FCC these days could give a hoot about Amateur Radio. I sometimes think that if they could merge Amateur and CB radio into one service, they would. But that's another story.

N2CHX
12-30-2010, 10:59 AM
nostalgia on a sperm of the moment

So many things I could say in response to this. Gonna mull it for a bit because there's just something really, really epic waiting to burst out but I haven't finished my coffee yet.

suddenseer
12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
So many things I could say in response to this. Gonna mull it for a bit because there's just something really, really epic waiting to burst out but I haven't finished my coffee yet.drum roll.......

W3MPS
12-30-2010, 11:36 AM
W3PMS was taken?

There is nothing funny about blowing hot coffee out your nose.

And yes, I almost ended up with Preston Michael instead Michael Preston when my parents were deciding what the heck to name me. Glad they chose the latter, I'm scared to think of how many PMS jokes I would have been the butt of back in grade school. Private school crowds are a very rough, clique-ish bunch.

VK3ZL
12-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Bob ,

Novice: Group "D" - 2x3

Technician: Group "C" - 1x3
Group "D" - 2x3

General: Group "C" - 1x3
Group "D" - 2x3

Advanced: Group "D" - 2x3
Group "C" - 1x3
Group "B" - 2x2*[K, N or W]

Extra: Group "D" - 2x3
Group "C" - 1x3
Group "B" - 2x2
Group "A" - 2x1, 1x2

http://www.eastlakecert.org/HAM/map.gif

Here's the gist of the US callsign layout , hopefully fairly complete , without turning into an epic .Prefixes are either single-letter W , K , or N , or double-letter WA-WZ , KA-KZ , NA-NZ or AA-AL .
Suffixes may be from 1 to 3 letters , with 1x1 calls reserved for short-duration special events . Certain prefixes are reserved for Hawaii , Alaska , Puerto Rico , and other outlying areas .

New licensees , or those requesting a new sequential callsign , currently get a 2x3 if they're Technician or General class , or a 2x2 if they're Amateur Extra class . For instance , the most recently issued calls in my district are KF5JKB and AE5VQ . Though Novice , Tech Plus , and Advanced licenses are no longer issued , they are renewable , so those classes continue to exist .

Licensees may request any unused combination (with a few exclusions ) , within the groups appropriate for their class of license , as a Vanity callsign . While sequential callsigns follow the areas shown in the map , Vanities are not required to do so . Nonetheless , about 90% of US calls remain “in-district” as far as area numbers are concerned . Hams may keep their original calls through upgrades in class . For example , although KD5QIQ is an Extra , he has chosen to keep his original callsign . Folks choose “vanity “ calls for several reasons , not all vain . Some choose to memorialize SK friends or relatives , or to replace calls that are just awkward to use .

Details of the privileges for various classes can be found elsewhere , but Tech is the entry level , mostly VHF and above , with some SSB on 10 meters , and CW on other HF bands . General allows operations in every mode and band , and Extra offers the maximum spectrum in each band , including some preferred DX frequencies .

I was trying to keep this brief and complete . I've succeeded in neither , but maybe I've provided some more understanding than you had before .

Thank you Russ and others....That sure is a conglomeration to get my old head around....I think 160 meters is the only band in VK reserved for those who have passed the full privilage exam here...When Morse Code was eliminated, Limited licencee's or what we termed as Z calls are now allowed access to all bands...Previously they only had access to VHF, 50mhz and above...I much preferred the days of full written examinations for each class of licence...These days it is all multi choice from a question pool..That means anyone prepared to spend a bit of time studying the Q&A book can soon obtain a licence...This is reflected in the quality of operators we see especially on 80 and 40 meters and VHF repeaters...I guess this is a sign of the times for Ham Radio as we used to know it.. Not too many of us old timers left down here....:chin:

Bob..VK3ZL..

NQ6U
12-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Now all you have to do, Bob, is figure out what all those two-letter state abbreviations stand for. MS-MT-MA-MN-MI-MD-ME, they confuse a lot of Americans.

K7SGJ
12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Now all you have to do, Bob, is figure out what all those two-letter state abbreviations stand for. MS-MT-MA-MN-MI-MD-ME, they confuse a lot of Americans.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. There must be a word in there, somewhere.

suddenseer
12-30-2010, 09:03 PM
I was trying to keep this brief and complete. I've succeeded in neither, but maybe I've provided some more understanding than you had before.Fixed that for you.You covered it all in one brush. I bet you were one of those lucky guys who got their first choice back in 1996 when vanity gate 2 opened. FB OM. :agree:

W3WN
12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I missed the initial gates, I got harrassed for YEARS to get a shorter call than WN3VAW.

Wrote a newsletter article explaining that I was holding out for a very specific type of call, and why. Figured that would shut people up. Instead, my bluff got called... which is why I'm now the second W3WN.

W5RB
12-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Fixed that for you.You covered it all in one brush. I bet you were one of those lucky guys who got their first choice back in 1996 when vanity gate 2 opened. FB OM. :agree:

Thanks . Nah , I started as KB5VAP , a call I never loved . Upgraded to a sequential Advanced call , KJ5SN , almost immediately . That was '92 -'93 . I tried on WA5EE for awhile , after one of the later gates , as I recall . I never liked it as well as I'd expected , and it was hell on CW . I did a paper upgrade to Extra when the Morse requirement was lowered to 13wpm . in 2002 ,when I discovered that a 1x2 , in my district , with my initials , was available , I figured it's a once-in-a-lifetime chance , so here I am , W5RB .

Mr. Gilbertson had passed away a number of years prior to me cancelling his license . I didn't know him , his was just a call I discovered online , but I did contact his family prior to filing for the call . There were no relatives interested in radio , and I proceeded with their consent , though it wasn't technically required . I remind myself from time to time , a callsign this good really deserves a better operator .

W3WN
12-30-2010, 09:57 PM
I've heard a lot of stories like that Russ. Vanity HQ & AE7Q's sites used to have a lot of them in the discussion boards, buried in amongst the noise.

In my case, the original W3WN had been a silent key for about 16 years before I acquired the call. Someone unknown had renewed the ticket about 4 years after he passed... who did it, or why, I never did find out. Was it a family member who intended to get the call one day? Or someone who wanted to keep it out of circulation?

The call had expired again and was in the grace period, and a polite inquiry to Ed's last known address was never answered. So with the help of a friend, we submitted the retroactive cancellation, and the next day I put in for the call.

Since I got the call, I've gotten my hands on two 1930's vintage W3WN QSL cards, and a third card that he signed as a guest up from another MD station. I'll have to dig them up, they're in storage right now due to shack reconstruction. But still pretty neat.

The original W3WN, incidentally, was not & never was an Extra. He was an old Class A ticket, who never upgraded. And the old Class A tickets eventually were renamed Advanced. Go figure.

One of these days, out of idle curiousity, I'm going to have to pester my friend W3HF to find out who held 3WN in the, er, pre-prefix era.

suddenseer
12-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Mr. Gilbertson had passed away a number of years prior to me cancelling his license . I didn't know him , his was just a call I discovered online , but I did contact his family prior to filing for the call . There were no relatives interested in radio , and I proceeded with their consent , though it wasn't technically required . I remind myself from time to time , a callsign this good really deserves a better operator .I bet you did the OM proud. Since 1x2 W calls are hard to get I just assumed you snagged it in gate 2 back in 1996. Best I can tell I am the one , and only N8TB, I don't know why I set it as my second choice. I just thought about how many callsigns I have had. I feel like a hooker. My first Novice callsign was WN8YUD. I hated that N prefix. it pegged me as a Novice. Since I could only XMIT in the novice subbands with 75Watts DC note intput to final Xtal controlled only. When I upgraded to General my call was changed to WB8YUD. Back then, that was a big deal to me. ONLY the old coot extras had the 1x2 W callsigns.

I let my license lapse. I got back into the hobby in 1993. I took the no code tech test. When I was seated, the VE's played the code exams. I was shocked that I could still copy 13WPM. My no code tech call was KB8QNF. I had upgraded to advanced within a month of getting my no code tech. I got the advanced callsign of KG8HT which I held until 1996 vanity gate. When W8TB becomes SK or lets his license lapse, I might consider changing.

Russ, you have a fine callsign....take that one with you to the grave. You will outlive the earlier version. You are THE W5RB not the other guy.

suddenseer
12-30-2010, 11:19 PM
I've heard a lot of stories like that Russ. Vanity HQ & AE7Q's sites used to have a lot of them in the discussion boards, buried in amongst the noise.

In my case, the original W3WN had been a silent key for about 16 years before I acquired the call. Someone unknown had renewed the ticket about 4 years after he passed... who did it, or why, I never did find out. Was it a family member who intended to get the call one day? Or someone who wanted to keep it out of circulation?

The call had expired again and was in the grace period, and a polite inquiry to Ed's last known address was never answered. So with the help of a friend, we submitted the retroactive cancellation, and the next day I put in for the call.

Since I got the call, I've gotten my hands on two 1930's vintage W3WN QSL cards, and a third card that he signed as a guest up from another MD station. I'll have to dig them up, they're in storage right now due to shack reconstruction. But still pretty neat.

The original W3WN, incidentally, was not & never was an Extra. He was an old Class A ticket, who never upgraded. And the old Class A tickets eventually were renamed Advanced. Go figure.

One of these days, out of idle curiousity, I'm going to have to pester my friend W3HF to find out who held 3WN in the, er, pre-prefix era.Wow you know lots of old people.

W3WN
12-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Wow you know lots of old people.

Of course I do. I'm President of the radio club again. :evil:

W5RB
12-31-2010, 07:48 AM
BTW , to any here interested , notwithstanding the recent rule changes , the old rules still apply regarding SK callsign "harvesting " , until 14 February . I'll be glad to share what I know about the process . I've guided several locals through the process successfully . Congrats /condolences on the Presidency , Ron .

N2CHX
12-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Ya know, there's just something not right about taking on a dead guy's callsign. That's why I chose to take on a dead girl's callsign instead.

W3WN
12-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Ya know, there's just something not right about taking on a dead guy's callsign. That's why I chose to take on a dead girl's callsign instead.
But who amongst us owns a virgin call?

No, seriously. The W 1x2's and 1x3's have been recycled for years... it was not unusual at all for the FCC (or it's predecessors including the FRC and the Department of Commerce) to reissue calls. The K calls? Remember, before WW II, they were the overseas territory calls. The N's? US Navy used to use them, and they were Navy MARS calls at one time as well. The A's? US Army and Air Force used them, as did Army & Air Force MARS and AARS.

As well, don't forget that after the call districts were realigned after WW II, many calls got reassigned as their districts changed. Western PA used to be part of the 8th district, Southern NJ part of the 3rd, etc. So W8YA got changed to W3YA, and while I don't recall who had it before, W3YA had been issued before.

Many of these calls were used in other radio services as well, before the blocks were reassigned to the Amateur service. And I don't have to tell all you folks holding N 1x2's and 1x3's that sometimes these calls were issued by the FAA to aircraft.

Sure, there are a lot of calls (especially in the 2x1, 2x2 and 2x3 blocks) that may have never been issued before, at least to the Amateur service. But a lot of others have been recycled over the decades.

NQ6U
12-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Ya know, there's just something not right about taking on a dead guy's callsign.

Why? To paraphrase the old saying: Dead men tell no squelch tails.

w2amr
12-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Having an old call and knowing a bit about the previous owner can be really cool.
Check out this QSL from 1929.

W3MIV
12-31-2010, 04:41 PM
The guy who had my call was from PA. He showed up last Friday night as I was about to open the front door. I said to him, "you may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than grave about you, whatever you are.”

He left threatening to call an OO. Last I heard of him.

W4RLR
12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
W3PMS was taken?Wouldn't that be more appropriate for Kelli? JK.

W3WN
12-31-2010, 07:26 PM
The guy who had my call was from PA. He showed up last Friday night as I was about to open the front door. I said to him, "you may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There’s more of gravy than grave about you, whatever you are.”

He left threatening to call an OO. Last I heard of him.
The dickens you say!

Tell me: Was he wearing chains? Seem a little pale?

KA5PIU
12-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Hello.

My call is virgin.
The only one to have it is me. ;)

NQ6U
12-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Hello.

My call is virgin.

That seems fitting, Rudy ;)

KJ3N
12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
To the best of my knowledge, only one other person had this call. Interesting note is that I got the call almost exactly 10 years (missed by 4 days) from when it expired originally.

KJ3N Extra --- MATTESON, MERTON W 8001 WOODYARD RD, CLINTON, MD 20735 04/14/87 04/14/97

KJ3N Extra Active Nuytens, James N. PO Box 704, CLAYMONT, DE 19703 04/10/07 04/10/17

KJ3N
12-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Hello.

My call is virgin.
That seems fitting, Rudy ;)

And is probably about the only thing "virgin" about him. :snicker:

NQ6U
12-31-2010, 07:50 PM
And is probably about the only thing "virgin" about him. :snicker:

Actually, it probaby isn't. That's what makes it so funny.

W3MIV
12-31-2010, 08:03 PM
The dickens you say!

Tell me: Was he wearing chains? Seem a little pale?

Indeed, as soon as I saw him, I knew I could see right through him.

kc7jty
12-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Sounds German but you look eastern European. You could have played a part in The Deer Hunter.

WX7P
01-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I held W6PV for awhile and it just didn't seem right. I tried to get back my original extra call (WX7P) but it had been snagged. So I got WX7B. Since I knew I wasn't going to leave California (with a C), I decided to go with NX6D, which was held by Dave Walker (SK) of Santa Cruz, I think.

I picked that call because it was what I would have been issued if I had gotten off my ass and upgraded to extra in 1985 instead of 1989.

I like NX6D, because it makes sense on a time scale. I felt funny signing W6PV, I didn't think I had the right to hold that call, as Lee Sublette was licensed forever. I got the license plates on the sesquicentennial CA 2000 base, so it's all good.

W6PV was eventually picked up by someone in the Valley and WX7B was grabbed by some guy in WA. He wrote me and wanted my call plates. I'll trade him one of mine for one of his...

kb2crk
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
well no excitment here. my call was a virgin when i got it in 87. had i chose to change my call when i upgraded that same year i would have had a virgin n2XXX call.

W2NAP
01-02-2011, 10:05 AM
i just got what i liked.

W3WN
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
well no excitment here. my call was a virgin when i got it in 87. had i chose to change my call when i upgraded that same year i would have had a virgin n2XXX call.

That's the funny thing. My Novice had been long expired when I went for my Tech, and others who passed Tech in that session got the first (amateur service) N3AAx calls. Had I not heard about others who had done so, I would not have written "could I have WN3VAW back" on the bottom of my 610 -- yes, that's how the FCC did things back then -- and I wouldn't have gotten it back.

Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing, considering some of the grief I went through (mainly from US hams). But then, I never was one to do things the routine way.

n2ize
01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Personally I could care less what my call sign is. I attach nothing personal to it Just a number and some letters that has no meaning whatsoever except as an identifier under specific circumstances.

W3MPS
01-16-2011, 06:45 PM
The wait is over. Got my new call.

W3MPS signing out and clear of this thread.

W5RB
01-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Congratulations .

W3MPS
01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Thank you

W3WN
01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
The wait is over. Got my new call.

W3MPS signing out and clear of this thread.
Congrats are in order! Now go QRV and let the world know!

W4RLR
01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
My favorites are two hams that have ASS as their call suffix. The hams are brothers-in-law. Their QSL cards feature the profile of a donkey from the hind end perspective.

KA5PIU
01-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Personally I could care less what my call sign is. I attach nothing personal to it Just a number and some letters that has no meaning whatsoever except as an identifier under specific circumstances.

Hello.

A+1000

PA5COR
01-18-2011, 04:43 AM
We can pick our own callsigns and change them online.
Mine is personalized, will save me remembering the suffix part when i get older :lol:

W3MPS
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
My favorites are two hams that have ASS as their call suffix.

I think I might need a new keyboard after that one... Nah, it's an old IBM model M. It's already had a couple of beers spilled on it. A quick cleaning and it keeps on clicking.

I'm going for my general next week, and there is that 500' spool of copper wire just begging to be made into some variation of an FD4. Maybe you guys, and gals, might get to hear me terrorizing the airwaves in a few weeks.

NA4BH
01-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I think I might need a new keyboard after that one... Nah, it's an old IBM model M. It's already had a couple of beers spilled on it. A quick cleaning and it keeps on clicking.

I'm going for my general next week, and there is that 500' spool of copper wire just begging to be made into some variation of an FD4. Maybe you guys, and gals, might get to hear me terrorizing the airwaves in a few weeks.

Make sure that copper is oxygen free. :lol:

NQ6U
01-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Make sure that copper is oxygen free. :lol:

And have it sent off to Nunavut to be gummed by toothless Inuit women. Improves the SWR.

W5RB
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
And have it sent off to Nunavut to be gummed by toothless Inuit women. Improves the SWR.

Hell , send me. It might improve my outlook .

:muhahaha: