PDA

View Full Version : Pot Roast is OUT !!

n2ize
12-29-2010, 07:00 PM
My Mom makes a delicious pot roast. Everytime I come over to eat downstairs and she makes pot roast I love it. But it looks like that will soon be no more. My dad is convincing my Mom not to make it anymore. he claims its "too greasy". Said he was washing the dishes and there was too much grease.

My Dad has always been an expert in getting good foods banned. If it were up to him I'd have grown up on dandelions, dried barley and rainwater. So, looks like in the future I'll have to make my own pot roast at home.Or marry a girl who makes it.

What is it about peoople who always have to put the KABOSH on good foods !!!

K7SGJ
12-29-2010, 07:05 PM
In hind sight, maybe you should have done the dishes.

PA5COR
12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Start cooking yourself, get the recept for that food, i'm the cook here meaning i decide what we get on our plate ;)
I love good food....doing the dishes? no problem

NQ6U
12-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Ditto, Cor, I do most of the cooking here. Doing a potato and onion soup right now and I've already washed most of the stuff that I've used. That's the way the pros do it—keep a sink full of hot, soapy water and wash each item as you're done with it.

W5RB
12-29-2010, 08:10 PM
This doesn't have to be difficult . Think crock-pot.

kc7jty
12-29-2010, 11:05 PM
The grease forms a crust when cold and is easily removed.

n2ize
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I spoke to my Mom about my Dad's criticism of the pot roast. She had just four words of advice for me..... "Don't listen to him !!"... Something tells me Mom knows how to deal with the OM. LOL... So I suspect I'll be enjoying more pot roast... with those nice potatoes and carrots.... And yes, I will also learn to make it myself.

n2ize
12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
The grease forms a crust when cold and is easily removed.

yes... same thing with certain soups. The grease flows to the top and when it chillls it hardens and you just remove it.

kd8dey
12-29-2010, 11:26 PM

+1.....

PA5COR
12-30-2010, 04:39 AM
If we want it or not, fat is part of the food and it will add to the flavour.
The trick is to get enough exercise to get rid of the extra calories.
Or eat smaller portions...

Looking at the caloric intake my parents had in the 1930's and the work they did it was in perfect balance.
If i followed their intake, i would be a fat slob in no time.
So, i limit the portions, and exercise a bit more if i indulged in a good plate and ate more as i should.
Take a brisk walk for 5 miles, get fresh air, and where i live on the edge of the little provincial city, I'm walking outside that city in no time, looking over the fields and nature.

We hardly go to MC Donalds, or get junk food, 5 x a week the standard potatoes, good vegetables and meat, 2 days i pick at random to do something different, and be busy in the kitchen for a few hours.
Best parts of the day, morning coffee, and dinner with a good hot meal.

kd8dey
12-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Anybody for an authentic 7 course Irish dinner?

N2CHX
12-30-2010, 10:50 AM
yes... same thing with certain soups. The grease flows to the top and when it chillls it hardens and you just remove it.

I make homemade soup all the time, five gallons at a time. We freeze it in Tupperware containers and then use it up over weeks or even months. You don't even need to wait until it gets cold, just turn the heat down a bit and the fat will float to the top where you can skim it off with a spoon.

I make damn good pot roast too.

KE7DKN
12-30-2010, 10:53 AM

Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, whiskey, and Guinness?

I keeed, I keeed...

W5RB
12-30-2010, 10:58 AM

I keeed, I keeed...

http://www.nightshop.ro/images/guinness_6_pack_st_300.jpg

http://www.albertahomegardening.com/images/scab_free_potato.jpg

N2CHX
12-30-2010, 11:01 AM

I keeed, I keeed...

Nancy Whiskey?

Dude, your cat looks lit.

KE7DKN
12-30-2010, 11:15 AM
[guinness_6_pack + potato]

Heh! Nice.

Nancy Whiskey?

Dude, your cat looks lit.

Um, that brand's a little too aged for my tastes.

"Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh..." - the kitty

HUGH
12-30-2010, 12:22 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1unOPv7q4Ux1cZx_cxrHu5iExfIbBX 0WPLkWRPqB0lVueNJZaGQ

Had pot roast last Sunday, there was a special offer on the cheaper cuts of beef, and succulent it was too.
Lots of things to use beer and wine in too, especially if it's gone a bit flat. Steak and ale pie is only one idea.

KØWVM
01-02-2011, 05:41 AM
My Mom makes a delicious pot roast. Everytime I come over to eat downstairs and she makes pot roast I love it. But it looks like that will soon be no more. My dad is convincing my Mom not to make it anymore. he claims its "too greasy". Said he was washing the dishes and there was too much grease.

My Dad has always been an expert in getting good foods banned. If it were up to him I'd have grown up on dandelions, dried barley and rainwater. So, looks like in the future I'll have to make my own pot roast at home.Or marry a girl who makes it.

What is it about peoople who always have to put the KABOSH on good foods !!!

How lean is the meat for the pot roast? If there is a ton of fat within the meat, I can see where your dad would think it's too greasy... What's wrong with the good stuff anyway?

KG4CGC
01-02-2011, 05:47 AM
You mean like, out of hiding? Out of the closet? Does it matter?
It's still the same Pot Roast. Just a more, honest Pot Roast.

W3MIV
01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Fat = Flavor. Fat = Tenderness. That's why you pay more for highly marbled, fat-ridden beef.

The key is to eat less of the meat, not to slide down the scale to shoe leather. Follow the Mexican example.

W3WN
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
You buying? And how are we getting to Ireland?

W3WN
01-02-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.nightshop.ro/images/guinness_6_pack_st_300.jpg
I've got a four-pack (cans) in the fridge that I'm not allowed to have. Anyone want it?

W3WN
01-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Before you leave for work in the morning:

Put roast in crock-pot.

Surround it with cut up potatoes, carrots, onions, green & red peppers, zucchini, brocolli, cauliflower, whatever you have.

Cover in beef broth... or if you don't have any, dissolve a couple of bullion cubes in water.

Add seasonings to taste (pepper, onion or garlic salt, basil, oregano, teriyaki, whatever)

Put crock-pot on low, let it cook for 8 - 10 hours while at work.

Come home, turn of crock-pot, enjoy.

Same thing works with chicken, only use chicken broth instead.

W5RB
01-02-2011, 05:14 PM
I never cared for the stuff , even the fresh draught . Bass was what I preferred when I was in NY , where there were more choices .

W7XF
01-02-2011, 05:20 PM

With or without the Bushmills?

W7XF
01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I've got a four-pack (cans) in the fridge that I'm not allowed to have. Anyone want it?
Pour them into an opaque stein, and drink it anyways.

W3MIV
01-02-2011, 05:38 PM
With or without the Bushmills?

My god, why drink that Protestant stuff? It'll rot your insides and rust your soul. Switch to Jameson.

W5RB
01-02-2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.claytonstudio.com/Images/TullamoreDew2.gif

NQ6U
01-02-2011, 05:46 PM
My god, why drink that Protestant stuff? It'll rot your insides and rust your soul. Switch to Jameson.

Thanks for straightening me out on that one, Albi. I know one Irish whiskey is considered "Catholic" and the other "Protestant" but I can't ever remember which is which.

W3MIV
01-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks for straightening me out on that one, Albi. I know one Irish whiskey is considered "Catholic" and the other "Protestant" but I can't ever remember which is which.

Tullamore Dew is another good Catholic whiskey, lad. You really should shy away from that Orange juice, but then we're always ready to forgive a guinea for his sins.

W3WN
01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Pour them into an opaque stein, and drink it anyways.

Doctor's told me NO alcohol of any sort until my blood chemistry is under control. And right now, it's not under control.

W1GUH
01-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Turnips are outstanding in a pot roast.

W3MIV
01-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Turnips are outstanding in a pot roast.

Yeah, sure.

W1GUH
01-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I think that's sarcastic...and I would have agreed before I actually had turnips. They're sweeter and tastier than carrots and, IMHO much better.

BTW....did you know that Queen Anne's Lace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daucus_carota)is a kind of wild carrot?

W3MIV
01-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I think that's sarcastic...and I would have agreed before I actually had turnips. They're sweeter and tastier than carrots and, IMHO much better.

Sarcastic? Moi? Never!

BTW....did you know that Queen Anne's Lace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daucus_carota)is a kind of wild carrot?

I shall stick to the domestic variety, but if you come across any wild oats, please give me a call. ;)

WV6Z
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
IMHO, Hugh's pie....

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/wv6z/steakandalepie.jpg

To be followed with one of the best thing from 'The Land Of My Fathers', which in fact, comes from my father's hometown.....

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/wv6z/PenderynPortWoodSingleCaskSingleMalt.jpg

Would make for an evening that would be hard to forget (oh, and errrmmm, kinda difficult to afford, unfortunately).

WV6Z
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I guess I should have been a bit more descriptive regarding my post and should have mentioned that Penderyn Single Malt Welsh Whisky Port Wood Single Cask Limited Edition 70cl bottles go for £275.00 (GBP) including VAT & Postage

W3MIV
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I guess I should have been a bit more descriptive regarding my post and should have mentioned that Penderyn Single Malt Welsh Whisky Port Wood Single Cask Limited Edition 70cl bottles go for £275.00 (GBP) including VAT & Postage

I shall see if my supplier stocks any of this Welsh rare bit.

WV6Z
01-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Would be an interesting and special find. Their standard production model single malt is awesome, but a taste of the Port Wood Single Cask would likely be one of those once in a lifetime treats that would likely never be forgotten.

W1GUH
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Sarcastic? Moi? Never!

I shall stick to the domestic variety, but if you come across any wild oats, please give me a call. ;)

I haven't sowed any wild oats since I can remember. "I remember doing it, but I forget why!"

I also remember praying for crop failure.

W3MIV
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Would be an interesting and special find. Their standard production model single malt is awesome, but a taste of the Port Wood Single Cask would likely be one of those once in a lifetime treats that would likely never be forgotten.

I am very much into "woods" where my SM preference is concerned. I have some double-cask port wood matured SMs, but the idea of a single, port wood cask is intriguingly unusual enough to urge my essay. Should I find it, I shall report ---> the local cost, if nothing else.

As an aside, I should also like to essay this Welsh SM, and I shall investigate the availability of the more pedestrian iterations (for which you may read "more affordable"). Again, I shall report.

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I love a good single-malt whiskey but £275.00 ($428.00) is a little rich for my blood. In fact, John's home-made pruno is better fitted to my current financial situation.

n2ize
01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm not much of an appreciative drinker. What I mean is if I do drink alcohol I drink it more for its effect than flavour. So in that sense alcohol is to me more a drug than a beverage. That said if I do drink for flavour my preference is for American whiskey's, bourbons, etc. For a long time I hated the taste of whiskey because all I ever tasted was scotch. Then one day I was at a restaurant and I ordered a glass of 101 proof Wild Turkey. I was expecting the worst and I was remarkably surprised and pleased. It had a really nice flavour that I could enjoy. Much nicer than any scotch I ever tried. I have since tried several different American whiskey's and the experiences have mostly been good. Even some very strong whiskey's that were very strong in alcohol content, yet rich, pleasant tasting, and smooth.

Now don;t get me wrong. I am sure there are some excellent scotch whiskey's out there. And I am not trying to say and one is better than another. It;s really a matter of preference. However, based on what I have tasted I tend to favour the American whiskey's,

WØTKX
01-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Turnips are OK in the crock pot, but lately I have been putting sweet potatoes and leeks in with the broccoli and Brussels sprouts instead of potatoes and carrots.

Very good.

W1GUH
01-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Turnips are OK in the crock pot, but lately I have been putting sweet potatoes and leeks in with the broccoli and Brussels sprouts instead of potatoes and carrots.

Very good.

That does sound good. First time I've heard of sweet potatoes and leeks together.

Oh...I take that back; just noticed "Brussels sprouts." YUCK!!!!! :sick:

W3MIV
01-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Very good.

Broccoli is too tender for the crock pot. Try substituting parsnips to go along with the yams, leeks and b. sprouts. Prepare a side green to serve with the meal.

n2ize
01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
What goes good in a crack pot ?

W3MIV
01-07-2011, 03:59 PM

I don't know. Why don't you ask one, there are several around here.

W3WN
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
A DeLorean DMC-12.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, that's what a good crack pot goes in...