PDA

View Full Version : Local repeater Scene

n2ize
12-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Now that I have VHF (2 meter) capabilities back I am noticing one thing. The activity on most of the local repeaters is extremely sparse. Even on some of the wide area coverage machines they remain more or less silent through most of the day with a little bit sporadic activity throughout the day. In any event the activity on the local 2 meter repeaters today seems to pale in comparison with the activity that was on there 15 years ago. In those days it was hard to find a moment when the repeaters weren;t busy with multiple stations checking in and operating. In those days it was rare that I could turn on my radio and not hear any activity. These days I can monitor for hours on end and hear nobody... except maybe an occasional KER-CHUNK or a CW identifier.

Anyone else noticing less activity on the 2 meter scene in their areas ? Or is it just me ? In some ways I like it better this way. Seems like in the old days it was always one or two stations dominating the repeaters day and night. On the other hand a quiet band doesn't sound too good when one needs to make the arguement that the spectrum is needed for ham radio operations...

KJ3N
12-29-2010, 03:26 PM
I gave up FM repeater ops back in 97/98. Nothing there for me but Teh Stoopid. I moved on to 6m and 2m SSB from 1999 to 2003. With the addition of 432 SSB a few years ago and (hopefully in 2011) 1296 SSB coming online shortly, I doubt that I'll ever bother with FM again.

NQ6U
12-29-2010, 03:33 PM
The repeaters are pretty quiet here most of the time, too. I gave up on monitoring them in the shack and am going to move my 2 meter FM rig into my pickup once I get the door lock fixed. I'll probably leave the 220 MHz FM unit in the shack since I can use for the only scheduled VHF-FM net I participate in. Once I have a real income again, I'll be in the market for a used 2 meter all-mode unit (or a transverter) so I can do some weak signal work. We get 2 meter tropo ducting to Hawaii here in the summer and that seems like a fun thing to play around with.

suddenseer
12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Whenever 10m Es is hopping, I noticed there is almost always a machine on 29.620 cross banded to vhf, maybe uhf. It always seems full of local NYC traffic. I chatted in many round tables for hours.

I have not used a 2m repeater for about 10 years. I had my scanner on the other day, and no traffic all day except for the occasional kerchuck. These machines used to be hopping.

n2ize
12-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I gave up FM repeater ops back in 97/98. Nothing there for me but Teh Stoopid. I moved on to 6m and 2m SSB from 1999 to 2003. With the addition of 432 SSB a few years ago and (hopefully in 2011) 1296 SSB coming online shortly, I doubt that I'll ever bother with FM again.

Surprisingly I sometime hear sensible conversations on some of the local 2 meter repeaters. And, in my past excursions into rural upstate New York and Florida I always found some very nice, friendly and intelligent people on the repeaters. My main preference , at least from home, is to operate HF as opposed to VHF FM. But, 2 meter FM is a convenient mode when i am portable or in the car. In years gone by it was also quite helpful in emergency situations. However, with the prevalence of cell phones that is less of a concern these days. My synopsis ? 2 meter FM does have it;s place. I'm just glad it is not the ONLY place.

n2ize
12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Whenever 10m Es is hopping, I noticed there is almost always a machine on 29.620 cross banded to vhf, maybe uhf. It always seems full of local NYC traffic. I chatted in many round tables for hours.

I have not used a 2m repeater for about 10 years. I had my scanner on the other day, and no traffic all day except for the occasional kerchuck. These machines used to be hopping.

Yes. One of the big machines here is the 147.060 machine. I was monitoring it all afternoon and it was dead quiet except for the occasional ID and 2 mobile stations that came on for 5 minutes, In the old days that machine would have been jumping all day long.

WØTKX
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, we could try IRLP.

WB2RRA 147.165 114.8PL Node #5930

Full quieting on your HT, hmmmm?

:mrgreen:

n2ize
12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Well, we could try IRLP.

WB2RRA 147.165 114.8PL Node #5930

Full quieting on your HT, hmmmm?

:mrgreen:

Interesting. Seems strong here. How's it work ?

WØTKX
12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, we need to set a time. Most IRLP nodes require membership for the access codes to initiate a call. I can get into one that I'm a member of, have the codes to, and can call that machine.

http://www.irlp.net

Basically, it's a VOIP link from repeater to repeater.

n6hcm
12-30-2010, 06:50 AM
i only patronize two local repeaters, and one of those (the more active of the two) only because it is on western intertie (?!?) network so it connects to other repeaters up and down the west coast and throughout the world.

W3WN
12-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't know if this is universal or just a local thing, but it used to be that outside of AM & PM rush hour, most of the local repeaters were dominated by retirees. Even when they weren't discussing their gall bladders and other body parts or functions, they monitored a lot. So if you were looking for a conversation, you could find one. And people passing through could get information pretty quickly.

The side effect was that once this relatively small group took hold, many other hams simply got out of the habit of operating 2 meters.

Sadly, most of them have either moved away or QSY'd to a different plane of existance. No one has stepped up to take their place. Factor in as well the explosion in internet traffic & use; many of those who might have stepped in have gone on to other things.

But it's a little cyclic as well. This too shall pass.

KC2UGV
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't know if this is universal or just a local thing, but it used to be that outside of AM & PM rush hour, most of the local repeaters were dominated by retirees. Even when they weren't discussing their gall bladders and other body parts or functions, they monitored a lot. So if you were looking for a conversation, you could find one. And people passing through could get information pretty quickly.

The side effect was that once this relatively small group took hold, many other hams simply got out of the habit of operating 2 meters.

Sadly, most of them have either moved away or QSY'd to a different plane of existance. No one has stepped up to take their place. Factor in as well the explosion in internet traffic & use; many of those who might have stepped in have gone on to other things.

But it's a little cyclic as well. This too shall pass.

I think you're right. The problem: People aren't retiring in their 50's like they used to. Now, you're luck to be able to retire at 70. It's one reason however, that while mobile, if not actively talking, my rig is in scan mode so I can pick up a QSO with someone looking for one.

NQ6U
12-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I've started using a 6m FM repeater a lot. It's linked up with other repeaters all over the southwestern U.S., so I can talk with people from Los Angeles to Texas. And since I can actually see the repeater's antenna from my shack, I can do it with the power on my rig turned all way down to about 5 watts.

N8YX
12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
<soapbox>

The main problem(s) I've noticed with repeaters are the following:

- Too many "silverbacks";
- 'Private' machines which function as nothing more than a command-and-control network for the owner, his spouse and their family, all of whom got Tech tickets at Daddy's insistence;
- Hidebound traditionalism on the club machines.

</soapbox>

All of these segregationalists were granted their wish of privacy when most people in the area became fed up with the attitudes then left the cloistered, tightly controlled systems for FM simplex and/or weak-signal (SSB/CW/digital) modes. Of course, those machines which relied on "donations" (forced, coerced or otherwise) to stay on the air began to disappear one by one when nobody was left to pay the bills. The widescale adoption of the cell phone and the lessening of testing requirements (thus providing the prospective General or Extra a little easier path into HF) sealed the coffin...so to say.

Our simplex scene is hopping, and the remaining repeaters fall into two classes: Those whose owners have seen the writing on the wall and therefore run an "open" system, and those whose owners continue to hold to the old ways. For the latter, silence is golden. As in zip...zero...nada users. It might be your machine, Slappy, but there's nothing which states WE have to put up with your overly repressive attitude...so have fun listening to dead air.

n2ize
12-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I had a nice chat tonight on the LIMARC (Long Island repeater) . had no problem reaching it on low power (1/2 watt) with the HT with the stock rubber ducky ant. We had a couple LI stations , myself, and a station up near Albany in a round table. Seems like a nice friendly group. Of course when I get tired of talking on 2 M I can listen to the local railroads, i.e, Metro North and the IRT subway. :) But nonetheless, over the years I have had some great conversations via the repeaters. I'd imagine that as time goes on more and more of those that insist on being "private" will go by the wayside and those that are more open and serve the amateur community at large will survive,.

n2ize
12-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Our simplex scene is hopping, and the remaining repeaters fall into two classes: Those whose owners have seen the writing on the wall and therefore run an "open" system, and those whose owners continue to hold to the old ways. For the latter, silence is golden. As in zip...zero...nada users. It might be your machine, Slappy, but there's nothing which states WE have to put up with your overly repressive attitude...so have fun listening to dead air.

YES!! I have run into this back in the old days. There was a local 440 machine which was wide open but the owner really considered it a private machine. But, he let us use it but he didn't like us using it. One day he got nasty with us on the air and I told him to "go back to CB". The pinnacle whas when he confronted me in the hallway of a ham fest and saif "are you the guy who told me to go back to fucking CB ??". I take it he was ready for a physical altercation from the tone of his voice and so was I. My face was red and my teeth were gritted. Then he says, "well , use the repeater all you like but you really shouldn't tell me to go back to CB". The he said, "It's not you that I was really after but the other guy you were talking to". Yeah rrrrrright buddy o mine. I wallked away laughing.

kb2vxa
01-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Reminds me of Mister Ego who had a 70cM repeater in Manhattan, a well paying job with ABC, VIP in the ARRL, you know the type and may even know him. Not only did he give me chuckles with his private not so private machine but when I saw him behind the ARRL table at a hamfest I could hardly keep from laughing in his face so I turned my back looking out at the scenery. Oh and BTW a friend from the club was standing back there too rolling his eyes. Thoughts in my head coalesced into Billy Joel providing background music only adding to the entertainment.

Because you had to be a big shot, didn't cha
You had to open up your mouth
You had to be a big shot, didn't cha
All your friends were so knocked out
You had to have the last word, last night
You know what everything's about
You had to have a white hot spotlight
You had to be a big shot last night

It only gets worse when you see it in the full light of day. (;->)

W3WN
01-02-2011, 03:07 PM
The mention of the semi-private machines reminded me of something...

Back when my club was still the South Hills ARC, we used the 145.13 repeater that belonged to one of the founders, KA3EBX. Now I was just in the process of joining the group at the time this happened, but Jim had a habit of routinely changing the PL and the access codes, which made it difficult for some people to access the machine, needless to say.

People would call him, or one of the other founders (N3WX[SK]), to try and get the new codes or information, but would get ignored or rebuffed. Much later, we learned that both of these folks were going through some hard times (divorces amongst other things) and didn't want to be bothered.

So the club started using a different repeater, 146.955, that was co-owned by other club members (N3RNX, W3SRL, and I'm pretty sure there may have been others as well). 'EBX and 'WX didn't take this very well -- I guess they wanted to have it both ways, so to speak.

And this was the beginning of the split, which ended up with those two and two others leaving our group, taking the club name (South Hills ARC Inc.)and logo, and trying to leave us high and dry. Which is how the club got renamed as the Wireless Association of South Hills, and we've been thriving since.

The other guys? Well, they have a nice web site.

WØTKX
01-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Well John, that repeater group has IRLP and Echolink. So Islanders could visit ya. Just let me know. :mrgreen:

W2VL 146.850 -
IRLP node is: 4438; Echolink node is: 487981

W2KPQ 449.125 -
IRLP node is: 4969; Echolink node is: 500940

W2KPQ 147.375 +
This repeater is now in Selden for our Eastern Nassau & Suffolk County Members.
IRLP node is: 4478; Echolink node is: 503075

KC2UGV
01-02-2011, 07:22 PM
The mention of the semi-private machines reminded me of something...

Back when my club was still the South Hills ARC, we used the 145.13 repeater that belonged to one of the founders, KA3EBX. Now I was just in the process of joining the group at the time this happened, but Jim had a habit of routinely changing the PL and the access codes, which made it difficult for some people to access the machine, needless to say.

People would call him, or one of the other founders (N3WX[SK]), to try and get the new codes or information, but would get ignored or rebuffed. Much later, we learned that both of these folks were going through some hard times (divorces amongst other things) and didn't want to be bothered.

So the club started using a different repeater, 146.955, that was co-owned by other club members (N3RNX, W3SRL, and I'm pretty sure there may have been others as well). 'EBX and 'WX didn't take this very well -- I guess they wanted to have it both ways, so to speak.

And this was the beginning of the split, which ended up with those two and two others leaving our group, taking the club name (South Hills ARC Inc.)and logo, and trying to leave us high and dry. Which is how the club got renamed as the Wireless Association of South Hills, and we've been thriving since.

The other guys? Well, they have a nice web site.

I prefer the new name... Gets to cover lots more ground. You guys could recruit people who do wireless remotes (AC and cars), Microwave Distance shooters, etc. Sky's the limit when you put "Wireless" instead of "Ham radio".

WØTKX
01-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I've got Echolink installed on my iPhone now, and popped into the W2VL node.

It works, but nobody said...

Hello?

:lol:

W2NAP
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
only machine i have used here local is the 145.39 machine...

most of the time i keep the little HT locked on 146.58. I do listen to the 442.65 machine down in indianapolis alot.

n2ize
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Seems like the local repeaters are a bit more active this week. Could be things were slow over the holidays. repeaters can be somewhat cliquish... much like 75 meters can be quite cliquish. But there are a couple nice repeaters around here which I do hear some interesting conversations.

n2ize
01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Reminds me of Mister Ego who had a 70cM repeater in Manhattan, a well paying job with ABC, VIP in the ARRL, you know the type and may even know him. Not only did he give me chuckles with his private not so private machine but when I saw him behind the ARRL table at a hamfest I could hardly keep from laughing in his face so I turned my back looking out at the scenery. Oh and BTW a friend from the club was standing back there too rolling his eyes. Thoughts in my head coalesced into Billy Joel providing background music only adding to the entertainment.

Because you had to be a big shot, didn't cha
You had to open up your mouth
You had to be a big shot, didn't cha
All your friends were so knocked out
You had to have the last word, last night
You know what everything's about
You had to have a white hot spotlight
You had to be a big shot last night

It only gets worse when you see it in the full light of day. (;->)

Hmmmmm... I'm wondering if this is also the same guy who ran a VHF machine in Manhattan that had very good coverage throughout the borough ? I could work it from down in the subways and from the lower track level in GCT. I was never confronted while using it but, I could never figure out if it was a truly open repeater either. He was also very reluctant to give out any info on membership, etc. In any event my use of his machine was limited as I preferred to work the Carmel "5130" machine from my HT with my AEA "Hot Rod" antenna from the sidewalks of Manhattan. Or, my friends "simplex repeater" in Yonkers. yes, i said SIMPLEX. It would record up to 3 minutes of your transmission and when you unkeyed it would retransmit your message just as you said it. A few of the people at work and the lady in my avatar found it amusing.

sadly, they don't make the "Hot Rod" antenna anymore.

n2ize
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Well John, that repeater group has IRLP and Echolink. So Islanders could visit ya. Just let me know. :mrgreen:

Well, it sounds like that would be a nice way to have a QSO, at least until I get my HF (AM/CW) station up and running again. Drop me a message here or a PM and let me know. I'm not very familiar with IRLP or Echolink so... I may need a crash course :)

W1GUH
01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
In the NYC/Catskills region, KQ2H (http://www.hamrepeater.net/kq2h/)is a friendly and easy to get to repeater. One thing is...you need the tone on transmit, but not on receive -- took me a while to figure how to set up my TR-F6A to do that. I've met a number of good people on that machine, and the 10m input sometimes provides DX. There are also other machines it's linked to.

n2ize
01-04-2011, 02:36 PM
In the NYC/Catskills region, KQ2H (http://www.hamrepeater.net/kq2h/)is a friendly and easy to get to repeater. One thing is...you need the tone on transmit, but not on receive -- took me a while to figure how to set up my TR-F6A to do that. I've met a number of good people on that machine, and the 10m input sometimes provides DX. There are also other machines it's linked to.

What repeaters can you reach ? Perhaps we can arrange a VHF QSO one of these days. Currently I have access only on VHF but once I get my FT-470 running I'll have 440/70cm up and running. Let me know and i'll give you a hollar.

WØTKX
01-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, it sounds like that would be a nice way to have a QSO, at least until I get my HF (AM/CW) station up and running again. Drop me a message here or a PM and let me know. I'm not very familiar with IRLP or Echolink so... I may need a crash course :)

You just need to get on the air on an open repeater that supports it and I can link up. Same for anyone.

Maybe we should start a list of Islanders with IRLP and Echolink capable repeaters. HF is more fun, but at least we can yak.

KC2UGV
01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
You just need to get on the air on an open repeater that supports it and I can link up. Same for anyone.

Maybe we should start a list of Islanders with IRLP and Echolink capable repeaters. HF is more fun, but at least we can yak.

There is a huge IRLP reflector I hear people on in 6 land, NY (Obviously), PA, FL, and a few other states. I'll try to get the Node Number of Reflector Name this evening on my way home.

n2ize
01-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Sounds like a plan. Keep me informed and I'll give it a try.

WØTKX
01-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Umm, is your HT on right now?

n2ize
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Umm, is your HT on right now?

Well, II can turn it on ...yes, now its on.... now what do I do ?

WØTKX
01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Get on [B]W2VL 146.850

I'll try it in a minute or two.. I have to turn the sound system down, Jamiroquai is cranked up. :lol:

n2ize
01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Get on [B]W2VL 146.850

I'll try it in a minute or two.. I have to turn the sound system down, Jamiroquai is cranked up. :lol:

Okay, I have that repeater/frequency tuned in. There is a bunch of guys talking about strategies for winning the lottery. But most of there strategies are mathematically incorrect...LOL. But I won;t say anything. LOL. I am on the frequency now.

WØTKX
01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, the link is not active at this time. I wonder what else you can hit.

What can you "hit" on this list?

http://echolink.org/links.jsp?lat_deg=&lat_min=&lat_NS=North&lon_deg=&lon_min=&lon_EW=West&gs=&sel=city&city=Yonkers&state=NY&country=US&d=2

WØTKX
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
W2VL is active now, I'm listening to a discussion about snowplows doing silly stuff.

WØTKX
01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey John youse got an accent! :lol:

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey, I got IRLP working on my iPhone! I hear Dave!

EDIT: And he's right--John does have an accent!

n2ize
01-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Hey John youse got an accent! :lol:

Yes, youse guys is right. I most soytenly do have an accent. After awl... I'm from da Dronx and Brooklyn New Yawk !! :lol::lol::lol:

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
And youse sounds like it, too! ;)

It was fun talking to you, John.

n2ize
01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
W2VL is active now, I'm listening to a discussion about snowplows doing silly stuff.

Yeah, they weare talking about plows with the plows up instead of down... LOL.. hey that was a great QSO. We had a really nice bunch of people out there. Corey, Carl, Dave and the rush hour crew driving home on Long Island. Next we've got to get COR from the Netherlands in there...and a few other Islander. Gotta do that again sometime soon. And of course on HF too. Meanwhile I gotta learn more about IRLP and echolink.

n2ize
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
And youse sounds like it, too! ;)

It was fun talking to you, John.

Likewise. that was really great. the repeater I was on is run by the LIMARC club. They are based out in Long island but it has awesome coverage into my area. They seem like a very nice group. It's one of the most active machines in this area. I probably could have stayed on and worked it portable.

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Likewise. that was really great. the repeater I was on is run by the LIMARC club. They are based out in Long island but it has awesome coverage into my area. They seem like a very nice group. It's one of the most active machines in this area. I probably could have stayed on and worked it portable.

That was my first time with Echolink, it was fun. I connected to your node using an iPhone app because I didn't think there was a local node, at least not one I could hit. Afterwards, though, I found that there is a local 2 meter node that I can hit with the mobile rig I have out in the shack, but not with an HT. I haven't experimented with making it work yet (other than checking to see if it would accept my DTMF commands, which it did) but I will try it next time we schedule an Island VHF meet-up.

ON EDIT: Does this count towards our WAI (Worked All Islanders)?

WØTKX
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Dat waz fun youse guys! :rofl:

IRLP links repeaters to repeaters via the Internet. I've had some great QSOs to Europe and Australia. You use your radio to hook up, via DTMF tones.

http://www.irlp.net/

Echolink links computers (and smartphones) to repeaters and/or simplex radios. It also works from computer to computer.

http://www.echolink.org/

Many repeaters have both available, which is the case with the W2VL repeater we were yakking on. While I really enjoy having Islander QSO's on HF, this is a great way to yak it up if HF will not work for some reason. I think we did pretty good, but DAYUM that thing times out fast for ragchewers. :lol:

n2ize
01-04-2011, 08:24 PM

IRLP links repeaters to repeaters via the Internet. I've had some great QSOs to Europe and Australia. You use your radio to hook up, via DTMF tones.

Echolink links computers (and smartphones) to repeaters and/or simplex radios. It also works from computer to computer.

Many repeaters have both available, which is the case with the W2VL repeater we were yakking on. While I really enjoy having Islander QSO's on HF, this is a great way to yak it up if HF will not work for some reason. I think we did pretty good, but DAYUM that thing times out fast for ragchewers. :lol:

yeah... dats dat youze guys....the timeout takes some getting used to... Otherwise it reminded me of some of the old buzzard ragcchews I used to have on 75, 40 . and 160...

I think the idea of linking to repeaters via the Internet is great. yeah, its true, its using man made systems rather than the ionosphere but, man made systems is a large part of what ham radio is about. And, the ionosphere is still there for when conditions are right and we want to do it under our own power.

As I was signing off one station made a good remark. he said that activity on VHF has tailed off over the past decade or so and whatever it takes to make it work again is good. I wholeheartedly agree. Use it or loose it. if it brings increased activity and interest to the bands then its a good thing (for the most part).

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
As I was signing off one station made a good remark. he said that activity on VHF has tailed off over the past decade or so and whatever it takes to make it work again is good. I wholeheartedly agree. Use it or loose it. if it brings increased activity and interest to the bands then its a good thing (for the most part).

I heard that, and I agree with him completely. I kept my radio tuned to the repeater that hosts the local node (once I found it) and it was silent almost the entire time, except for the usual commute hour chatter. Might as well use it for Echolink.

KC2UGV
01-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, sorry guys I kept falling off there. My mobile phone doesn't like me connecting while moving too much. I have to figure out how to connect a local node to a remote node here...

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 09:48 PM
No biggie, Corey. It was nice hearing a voice to go along with the words. But how come youse ain't got no Noo Yawk accent?

KC2UGV
01-04-2011, 09:52 PM
No biggie, Corey. It was nice hearing a voice to go along with the words. But how come youse ain't got no Noo Yawk accent?

I'm on the other side of the state. No accents here :)

n2ize
01-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Corey is in Western New York. Very different than here. I had a girl friend from Bufffalo who had a thick western accent. Her name was Penelope. I don't know if it is unique among some western New yorkers but for example she used to say my name as "Jaihn" insteaad of John. And she used to roll her "rrr's" very harrd, almost like like Sarah Palin. For example she'd say, "Jaihn, it's in the raick in the baick of the shaick" for "John, it's in the rack in the back of the shack".

My accent is strictly southeastern NY... a mix of Bronx, Brooklyn, and Yonkers. MY Dad insists we don't have any accent but I tell him, anytime I talk on the ham radio as soon as people hear the wway I speak they have a pretty good idea of where I am from. :) Indeed, we do have a regional accent here.

NQ6U
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
John, I like your accent. With the advent of TV over the last fifty years, American speech has become very homogenized and it's really a shame.

I was raised down the S.F. Peninsula a ways and have a sort of generic midlands American accent but my father, who was raised in San Francisco, has an accent that sound pretty much like someone from the Northeast, as do most of my Frisco-raised relatives. They sound like they hail from somewhere between New York and Boston. I'm told that this is because of the heavy influx of Yankee seafarers into S.F. during the California gold rush of the mid-Nineteenth Century.

n2ize
01-05-2011, 05:40 AM
John, I like your accent. With the advent of TV over the last fifty years, American speech has become very homogenized and it's really a shame.

Yes, I've noticed that. It's kind of like a generic accent that has become more and more pervasive over the years.

I was raised down the S.F. Peninsula a ways and have a sort of generic midlands American accent but my father, who was raised in San Francisco, has an accent that sound pretty much like someone from the Northeast, as do most of my Frisco-raised relatives. They sound like they hail from somewhere between New York and Boston. I'm told that this is because of the heavy influx of Yankee seafarers into S.F. during the California gold rush of the mid-Nineteenth Century.

I was always fascinated by regional accents and how they came to be. My accent is mild compared to some in this region. For example one of my uncles had a very thick Brooklyn accent. Different ethnic groups and nationalities also have their own variations of some of the local regional accents. My Dad always insists that we don't speak with any regional accent. And I always tell him that we most certainly do and when I am talking to people around the country via the radio it usually doesn't take them long to figure out where I am once they hear my speech... although it might take a bit longer if I am using CW. :)

I always loved the classic Boston accent..."Drive the cah from Bahston ta Cape Cahhhd".

n2ize
01-05-2011, 06:05 AM
I heard that, and I agree with him completely. I kept my radio tuned to the repeater that hosts the local node (once I found it) and it was silent almost the entire time, except for the usual commute hour chatter. Might as well use it for Echolink.

Tell me about it. There are a lot of repeaters around here that seem almost always silent, although activity has picked up on some of them now that the holidays are over. One such machine is the 147.060 machine located in Valhalla. It has relatively good coverage and back in the late 80's / early 90's when I first started using VHF it had a lot of traffic throughout the day. These days it seems that it gets sporadic use otherwise its silent most of the day. They still run a traffic handling net on it every evening at around 9:30pm. I have yet to hear a single piece of traffic passed through that net since I have been back on. In the old days there was lots of traffic and the net went on for a good hour or more. These days the net is over in about 5 minutes and then the repeater is silent. Do people still pass traffic via ham radio nets anymore ?? I'd imagine with the prevalence of the Internet there is much less of a need. And autopatch ?? Remember that ?? Does anyone use autopatch anymore ? With the prevalence of cell phones I would hardly see much of a need for autopatch, except maybe in areas that have repeater coverage but no cell coverage ? Or, in the event a person doesn't have a cell phone. However, if a person can afford a handie tallkie they most likely can afford a cell phone. I guess autopatch may be useful in some emergencies where the normal cell system is overloaded or goes down.

ki4itv
01-05-2011, 08:34 AM
ON EDIT: Does this count towards our WAI (Worked All Islanders)?

<tightens ham radio curmudgeon hat>
"ECOLINK IS NOT HAM RADIO!"
<kicks crusty old doughnut half to other side of shack>

:lol::lol:

KC2UGV
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
<tightens ham radio curmudgeon hat>
"ECOLINK IS NOT HAM RADIO!"
<kicks crusty old doughnut half to other side of shack>

:lol::lol:

What if I link my repeater into it, and use my mobile set. Does it count then?

I really don't think that's such a bad idea. This weekend I'll be setting up my own simplex node so I can welcome local yokels to the islander chats.

ki4itv
01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I was just brushing up on my crusty old ham-curmudgeon public service act, Corey.

You guys have me downloading Ecolink this afternoon. I thought it sounded like fun.
Looks like it's time for an IOMH conference room...or some such gathering place. :yes:

KC2UGV
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I was just brushing up on my crusty old ham-curmudgeon public service act, Corey.

You guys have me downloading Ecolink this afternoon. I thought it sounded like fun.
Looks like it's time for an IOMH conference room...or some such gathering place. :yes:

I was agreeing with ya :) I do think it's a good idea to use RF every way possible, so if each person here puts a simplex link up, and uses it to talk in, we cna tie several together, and get a lot of coverage, and lots of occupied freqs :)

n2ize
01-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I was agreeing with ya :) I do think it's a good idea to use RF every way possible, so if each person here puts a simplex link up, and uses it to talk in, we cna tie several together, and get a lot of coverage, and lots of occupied freqs :)

I'm in a major urban center and, except for a few, the majority of VHF repeaters are dead most of the time. I can just imagine how quiet some of them are in rural areas. Some hams will argue that Echolink is not ham radio. I beg to differ with them but ham radio is all about experimenting with communications. That includes the use of the internet and computers and other communications devices and interfacing them and making them work with existing and/or traditional methods. If thats not ham radio then i don't know what is. True, when you use Echolonk you are making use of the internet which is comprised of private, personal, government and commercial networks as opposed to just a radio, an antenna and the ionosphere. But that still doesn't make it non-ham radio. As a further incentive new and different technologies have been incorporated into ham radio since it's earliest days. It ham radio is going to capture the minds of young people, and retain its usefulness and purpose it is going to have to embrace and incorporate new technologies as the come along. Of course it doesn't mean we should abandon the old and give up our CW, SSB, AM, etc. But, by the same token ham radio shouldn't be divorcing itself from the new ideas either.

And yes, if things like Echolink, IRLP , etc bring activity to the FM repeater scene that is an added boost. Repeaters are not very useful if they sit around and are never used.

NQ6U
01-05-2011, 05:21 PM
I[f] ham radio is going to capture the minds of young people, and retain its usefulness and purpose it is going to have to embrace and incorporate new technologies as the come along. Of course it doesn't mean we should abandon the old and give up our CW, SSB, AM, etc. But, by the same token ham radio shouldn't be divorcing itself from the new ideas either.

Truer word ain't never been spoke, John. At least not about amateur radio.

N8YX
01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
I really don't think that's such a bad idea. This weekend I'll be setting up my own simplex node so I can welcome local yokels to the islander chats.
This could be bigger than Y2K and 435! :shock:

WØTKX
01-05-2011, 08:19 PM
There are many hams in the hospital or nursing homes that can only use Echolink or CQ-100.

But they can talk to their buddies, and it's a happy thing.

W2NAP
01-06-2011, 12:11 PM
here is my closest IRLP. we got no echolinks here

Node Node Call State Frequency PL/DCS Distance in
Miles
4655 WA9EOC IN 444.6750 131.80 2.24
4834 KB9VE IN 147.0900 110.90 3.35
4212 KE9V IN 446.7750 131.8 11.72

n2ize
01-06-2011, 04:55 PM

It would be great to try and set up another VHF QSO in the near future. perhaps we can get a few more Islanders to join in. We can use the same repeater or, I'll see what other machines I can hit and we can perhaps use an alternate less crowded machine. However, it seems like everybody who was on frequency that evening, whether local or DX/Echholink had a good time and really enjoyed the chat.

Now that I understand how Echolink and IRLP work I am going to give them a try. perhaps we can work it the other way round where I'm on the Internet and you've guys are on RF. Or, where we're all on RF and the repeaters and linked, i.e. IRLP.

Mind that 17 years ago when i was on much of this was not possible on VHF... unless I used the Metroplex system. I wonder if anyone used Metroplex in this area anymore.

I also had a 100 foot spool of balanced line on order. As soon as it arrives I'm going to rig up a new HF antenna. So, maybe we can give a go at HF as well.

Looking forward to future possibilities.

W1GUH
01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes. One of the big machines here is the 147.060 machine. I was monitoring it all afternoon and it was dead quiet except for the occasional ID and 2 mobile stations that came on for 5 minutes, In the old days that machine would have been jumping all day long.

Sure, John. It's doubtful that I can make it to the .060 machine, but what's the PL so I can give it a try. Tried to find it on the web but it's hidden somewhere. And if you can pass along the info on the LIMARC machine I'll give that one a shot, too.

Or when you get 440 going, you can try<link>KQ2H (http://www.hamrepeater.net/kq2h/). That's on the Empire State building and it's well worth a shot. Pity that the Metroplex machine doesn't seem to be there anymore on 145.450 -- they've got great coverage.

Eagerly awaiting you reply.

WØTKX
01-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm a member of the CRA Repeater system here, in CO... and it rocks.

Folks in Cheyenne WY can hit it easily with a beam, and it almost makes it to Kansas.

447.575 -- the 447.575 MHz (input -5.000 MHz) W0CRA/R 70 centimeter repeater is our newest repeater in the CRA "family", and benefits from the excellent coverage of the Squaw Mtn facility.

Squaw Mountain is located 20 miles west of Denver at an elevation of 11,430 feet with wide-area coverage including the I-70 corridor to the Eisenhower tunnel.

Like most of our repeaters, this repeater requires a CTCSS tone of 107.2 Hz for access. The repeater transmits a CTCSS tone of 107.2 Hz. You can program your radio to only receive signals with the tone to prevent reception of noise and intermod.

Both EchoLink and IRLP are available on this repeater.

The IRLP node is 3291, the EchoLink node is 8489 or WY0X/R.

If you're utilizing Tone Squelch on your radio, you won't hear the repeater transmitter tail or most of the CW ID's.

The repeater is comprised of a General Electric Master II repeater, ARR preamp, and an S-COM (http://www.scomcontrollers.com/) 5K controller. The repeater shares a transmitter combiner, receiver multi-coupler and a single 4-bay Sinclair antenna with a slightly directional pattern aimed at Denver.

n2ize
01-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Sure, John. It's doubtful that I can make it to the .060 machine, but what's the PL so I can give it a try. Tried to find it on the web but it's hidden somewhere. And if you can pass along the info on the LIMARC machine I'll give that one a shot, too.

Okay, You should be able to find info on the 060 machine, It's run by WECA (Westchester Emergency Communications Association). It runs a PL of 114.8 and had good coverage.

LIMARC is 146.8500 with PL 136.5 Hz.

There is also Carmel on 145.130 with PL 136.5

And 145.2300 with Pl 114.8

We should be able to establish a QSO on one of the above.

Let me know and we can give it a trial run.

W1GUH
01-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Okay, You should be able to find info on the 060 machine, It's run by WECA (Westchester Emergency Communications Association). It runs a PL of 114.8 and had good coverage.

LIMARC is 146.8500 with PL 136.5 Hz.

There is also Carmel on 145.130 with PL 136.5

And 145.2300 with Pl 114.8

We should be able to establish a QSO on one of the above.

Let me know and we can give it a trial run.

I'll check those out tonight. I got distracted last night.

n2ize
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Let me know and maybe we can set up a schedule over the next few days.

W1GUH
01-07-2011, 06:07 PM

The only machine I can bring up is the 145.230 machine. It's scratchy but worth trying. I'll keep the radio on for a while in case you can give me a call. It's about 6:00 PM right now.

W1GUH
01-07-2011, 11:38 PM
That machine is most probably a no-go. I CAN bring it up, and I can hear the carrier, but it's scratchy and it's a good bet that I won't modulate it worth diddly. BUT...we CAN try it...so let me know.

Can't wait til you're 440 enabled and I hope you can reach the KQ2H machine.

ki4itv
01-08-2011, 12:56 PM
That machine is most probably a no-go. I CAN bring it up, and I can hear the carrier, but it's scratchy and it's a good bet that I won't modulate it worth diddly. BUT...we CAN try it...so let me know.

Can't wait til you're 440 enabled and I hope you can reach the KQ2H machine.

I made one of those "Tape Measure Yagi's" for df'ing.
Worked really well--- surprised the crap out of me. Was even working simplex with Doug while he was around Afton mtn. about 70 mi away.
Might try that.

n2ize
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
The only machine I can bring up is the 145.230 machine. It's scratchy but worth trying. I'll keep the radio on for a while in case you can give me a call. It's about 6:00 PM right now.

Sorry, I missed your message. I can hit 145.230 but I don;t know how well. We can give it a try. Are you sure you can't hit 146.8500 / PL 136.5 ? It's supposedly located near the Manhattan/Long Island border. I can make it in from here using low power and a rubber duck "attenuator" :). You must use the PL however. Virtually al these machines require a pl tone these days. I also notoced some use tone squelch and some don't. In any event let me know when you have a chance to give it a try again.

As far as 440 goes, I'll have 440 capability back again as soon as I can find the right sized flat flex cable jumper for my FT-470.. I need a new piece of 1mm pitch/ 20 conductor flat flex cable which runs from the if board to the control board. Without that cable the radio is useless.

WØTKX
01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Try a 2 meter Moxon? :dunno:

http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/KJ4IVD/kj4ivd.htm

KA5PIU
01-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Hello.

From where I am at I can hit every machine as far down as Cotulla and as far up as New Braunfels.
That is around a dozen echolink machines.
Take your pick.

n2ize
01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Hello.

From where I am at I can hit every machine as far down as Cotulla and as far up as New Braunfels.
That is around a dozen echolink machines.
Take your pick.

I too can hit a lot of machines but unfortunately not many QSO's. Either the repeaters are void of activity and some are still very cliquish. If they don;t recognize your call they don;t want to talk. Case and point, i will put in a call, "N2IZE Listening" on a machine and get no response. But 30 seconds later someone else will drop their call and someone will respond because it is somebody they know. Of course this is nothing new, repeaters in this area have always been very cliquish. But one would think that in this day and age when activity is dwindling and the buzzword is "encourage new hams" the cliquish attitude would have changed. But, sadly it hasn't. I have spoken to new hams who have become discouraged by the cold shoulder they get on some VHF repeaters. I try and encourage them to stick with it and don't let the clique oriented types get them down. VHF can still be a llot of fun and there are many hams who welcome noobs. I allso encourage them to experiment with HF and some of the older modes, like CW and AM, as well as the newer dipshittal modes.

KC8TCQ
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Our club has a repeater in Archbold Ohio 145.410, IRLP node 8866, echolink node 538441

W3WN
01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
There are many hams in the hospital or nursing homes that can only use Echolink or CQ-100.

But they can talk to their buddies, and it's a happy thing.
Y'know, I've always wondered about that.

Over the years, I've heard of or learned of more than a few hams who moved into a retirement village, or assisted living, or a nursing home, or some other flavor of care facilities for their remaining years, for any of a variety of reasons.

Virtually all of them have gone QRT as a result. A handful stay active via their clubs, or friends, but their own stations are gone (save a V/UHF mobile or an HT, and often, not even those remain). And none of these facililties (again, that I've heard of) permit amateur radio, or provide an alternative, such as a "club" station.

Why is that? Is it a liability issue? Or a lack of knowledge?

I mean, think about it. You'd think that a facility that wants to provide services to their elder patients or guests would be interested in activities that would keep one mentally sharp (no wisecracks please). And it wouldn't cost THAT much to outfit a small room (size of an office) with some HF & VHF gear, plus a vertical or two. Heck, I'd bet some of the people moving into the facility would gladly donate or "permanently loan" their gear just to have the ability to stay on the air.

But you never hear about it.

Why?

WØTKX
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
There are a couple of places I know of that have a station set up in a common area in their facility, and there is a club in CA that has a Ten Tec Omni VII set up for remote operation just for folks like that to use. I've had two QSO's with the same guy using that via HRD, but I forget his name and call. He was about 90 years old as I recall. Excellent, eh?

Works really well on voice and digital modes, but CW is QRS at best.

FWIW, the SSB audio was very good.

N8YX
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Our club has a repeater in Archbold Ohio 145.410, IRLP node 8866, echolink node 538441
I think I can hit that one. I'll definitely be able to when I get the tower and new antennas installed.

n2ize
01-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Y'know, I've always wondered about that.

Over the years, I've heard of or learned of more than a few hams who moved into a retirement village, or assisted living, or a nursing home, or some other flavor of care facilities for their remaining years, for any of a variety of reasons.

Virtually all of them have gone QRT as a result. A handful stay active via their clubs, or friends, but their own stations are gone (save a V/UHF mobile or an HT, and often, not even those remain). And none of these facililties (again, that I've heard of) permit amateur radio, or provide an alternative, such as a "club" station.

Why is that? Is it a liability issue? Or a lack of knowledge?

I mean, think about it. You'd think that a facility that wants to provide services to their elder patients or guests would be interested in activities that would keep one mentally sharp (no wisecracks please). And it wouldn't cost THAT much to outfit a small room (size of an office) with some HF & VHF gear, plus a vertical or two. Heck, I'd bet some of the people moving into the facility would gladly donate or "permanently loan" their gear just to have the ability to stay on the air.

But you never hear about it.

Why?

Probably a combination of both. A fear of liability issues and a general ignorance with regards to radio. It's really a shame because the whole idea of being limited to nothing but a handie talki with a rubber duck or a computer or iPhone via the internet really sounds depressing. Don't get me wrong, VHF/UHF . is fun and things like Echolink have their place but, I like the idea of having the freedom to put up some sort of antenna and connect an hf rig and talk to people under my own power. Losing or surrendering that freedom just doesn't set well with me. I would rather live in a shack in the woods where I can put up an antenna than live in some condo or gated retirement community where any form of antenna is severely forbidden.

I guess if I did live in a restricted zone I'd find some way to sneak in an antenna. Perhaps a hidden or a disguised antenna or, maybe a wire that gets hoisted up at night and lowered down by morning. I'd find some way to do it.