PDA

View Full Version : In-Laws

W3WN
12-25-2010, 01:07 PM
So, we get back from my daughter-in-law's mothers house about 9:30 last night...

...her mother had invited both our family & my wife's ex's family over for a Christmas Eve dinner, which was a lot of fun, but that's another story...

...to find a message on the answering machine from my mother-in-law that she left around 8.

It seems that we're in big trouble.

The boss's brother's family is hosting everyone for a Christmas dinner tonight. He called the boss up a few evenings ago, and asked if we could bring either the fruit dish, or the dinner rolls. The boss chose the fruit. Well, it now appears that he was supposed to ask us to bring the fruit dish AND the dinner rolls. So no dinner rolls.

Even though the communications breakdown is between Bobby and his charming wife (which he has admitted), in my mother-in-law's eyes, it's still our fault. Don't ask me to explain how.

Oh, and she knew about this as early as Thursday. So why did she wait until 8 to tell us?

And you can guess what's open today. Bupkus. Even the big super Wally World that advertised in the paper & on-line that they're open all day today -- closed until 6 AM Sunday. You can get gas at some of the convenience stores, but that's about it (and no, they don't have any Pillsbury cresent roll dough things or anything else, she checked)

There was a Denny's open. Nothing extra available, they make their rolls from scratch. The boss would have had to wait for an hour or two to get them. Now, if it had been me, I'd have placed an order & come back. But by that time, Bobby had called to say it was his screw-up, so don't worry about it.

We're still in trouble, though.

Family. Love 'em all, but sometimes they drive you totally meshugah.

The preceeding true story has been brought to you by the Society to Keep Alive Silly Tales About SX-88's, Ramen Noodles, and Black Widow Spiders. Merry Christmas to all, and to all, why the hell didn't you get anything other than a new pair of socks?

KC9ECI
12-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I don't have to worry about my inlaws. Being on the other side of the Atlantic, I don't see them all that often.

PA5COR
12-25-2010, 02:11 PM
No problems here, sorry reading about your family troubles though.
Picked up my parents in law, had a good Xmas dinner, ending with cinnamon ice and whipped cream, and just drove them back home.

Since my parents are dead, and i don't have any contact with the rest of the family, that is one line that is sorted, no problems from there.

N8YX
12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
'DSG's immediate family usually doesn't give us a lot of grief during the holidays.

I don't associate with mine all that much.

Some of my friends are more family to me than my blood family, so I can always go raid their refrigerators.

N7RJD
12-25-2010, 03:00 PM
So proves the old theory that the difference between inlaws and outlaws is that outlaws are wanted.

VE7DCW
12-25-2010, 07:05 PM
So proves the old theory that the difference between inlaws and outlaws is that outlaws are wanted.

I'll add to that a bit...... Life's a bitch ....then there's your mother-in-law! :roll: 'nuff said

N7RJD
12-25-2010, 08:10 PM
I'll add to that a bit...... Life's a bitch ....then there's your mother-in-law! :roll: 'nuff said

In comparison life just ain't such a bitch now is it?

KA5PIU
12-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Hello.

My family is of people who put screaming kids in trunk of cars, and are outlaw in laws.
In fact, I was asked not to attend the get together I had planned all year for.

W3WN
12-25-2010, 09:43 PM
No, we're not talking about my ex...

N5RLR
12-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear about the in-law troubles, Ron. Thankfully, I've not had to deal with the like for 22 years now.

...Life's a bitch ....then there's your mother-in-law!
My version: "Life's a bitch, and then you marry one. And then she divorces you." :snicker:

W3WN
12-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the in-law troubles, Ron. Thankfully, I've not had to deal with the like for 22 years now.

My version: "Life's a bitch, and then you marry one. And then she divorces you." :snicker:

That was the first one. I've gotten a little luckier the second time around. :evil:

All worked out in the end. My brother-in-law finally owned up that he hadn't asked us to bring the rolls. And then he went out and found them.

At a Walgreens. Go figure.

W4RLR
12-25-2010, 10:04 PM
My parents are dead, one sister always travels, the other doesn't speak to me since my father died. She blames me for his death. Children are grown and have their own lives. Christmas dinner being just the wife and I was more depressing than I care to think about, though she did cook a good meal. Later she went to volunteer at the homeless shelter, came home because there were more volunteers than homeless.

I think this is the last year for celebrating Christmas.

N7RJD
12-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Later she went to volunteer at the homeless shelter, came home because there were more volunteers than homeless.

I wish we had that problem around work. That is one place where the entire population of the city could volunteer and still be
out numbered by the homeless.

KA5PIU
12-26-2010, 12:56 AM
My parents are dead, one sister always travels, the other doesn't speak to me since my father died. She blames me for his death. Children are grown and have their own lives. Christmas dinner being just the wife and I was more depressing than I care to think about, though she did cook a good meal. Later she went to volunteer at the homeless shelter, came home because there were more volunteers than homeless.

Hello.

So, what is the deal, you tried to put him on an arsenic diet only to discover that only some life forms can make it work?
Really, why would she think that?
Short of actually trying to kill him I can not understand why your sister has issues with you.
Since I am adopted and formally discovered this later in life I was able to get a fresh start.
I have a whole herd of Mexicans I love.
Add to that the Spaniards and I am set in life.
But, there is also Saudi Arabia to add to the mix.
So far I have not had anyone who had any issues with me.
Once I understood that I was born in Germany, but not a German, life took on a whole new meaning.
Now I run around Mexico like a Mexican, and the USA like a US citizen.
I belong, with Christmas being but one event out of the year.
This is the first year that I can not run around that part of Mexico this time of year, next year will be better.

W3WN
12-26-2010, 01:45 AM

Sorry to hear that. If you were around here, I'd invite you over for a drink. I'll have to issue you a raincheck...

VK3ZL
12-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Take heart Ron....Life goes on and this will all be forgotten until the next time...

I had a very wise old mother...One of her favorite pieces of wisdom and now mine...

"We are given our relations...Thank God we can choose our friends"...

Remember this and you will find life more tolerable around the relli's....:cheers:

Bob..VK3ZL..

kb2vxa
12-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a song by Ernie K. Doe.

"In fact, I was asked not to attend the get together I had planned all year for."
So why am I not surprised?