PDA

View Full Version : Pets... Those 4 legged (Sometimes more, sometimes less) family members

KC2UGV
12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
What kinds of pets does everyone around these parts keep guardianship over?

Myself: 1 dog, Angel; 1 snake, Shadow; and 7 rats (Jeebus, Nugget, Rofl, Chocolate, Rudolph, Yukon Cornelius, and Buddy).

Those whom have already passed this life: 3 dogs, Buddy, Angel 1, and Midas; 1 fish (Fat Ass, who was a carnival goldfish that lived 6 years); 6 rats (Niko, Dhalia, Akiko, Balczak, Sweetie, and Skeet Skeet).

Buddy was my baby retard dog. Seriously. He found every way possible to obtain, and consume dirty baby diapers. He looked retarded (One blue eye, one brown eye, and his one side of his face always drooped). He was my baby though. First dog to sleep in the bed with us.

Fat Ass got his name, because seriously... He was a fat ass! Every time you went near his damned tank, he came right up to the window. First fish I ever thought actually liked people. If you put a finger in the water, he would keep "kissing" your finger, even though he knew it wasn't food.

Dhalia was our first rattie. She came to us, because he previous "owner" decided she wasn't so important, moved, and left her with her room mate, unannounced. Her room mate decided not to buy any more food, and when it ran out it would just starve. Well, I said, "Just bring it over. We'll keep it, or find a home." Well, she found a home alright: Right here :) Quickly, that led to somehow adopting 9 more.

Angel was our first goggie in our current residence. She was a "filled prescription", more or less. We had a less than favorable "room mate" living here "until she got back on her feet", who was causing De's blood pressure to soar (Literally, 168 over 95). Quite, unexpected as well. See, De wanted a small dog. A lap dog. Well, Angel 2 had other ideas, as well as my youngest son Nathan. Once they met, there was no separating them. So, Angel 2 (A 55 lb dog) came home with us.

NA4BH
12-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Two cats:

Red, the "Old Man"
Stoops: the "Dumbest" cat in the World

KG4CGC
12-23-2010, 10:08 PM
4 cats.
1 dog but he's going with Miss Impatient next week. Everyone told not to get a sled dog since she's never cared for a pet before but noooooooooo. Anywhere you take this dog he instantly starts landscaping. I have torn muscles and ligaments from walking him. I've literally had to lay down on top of him just to hook and unhook his harness to a leash.
I kept fish since I was 6 but I've lost all interest in that and I'm looking for a sucker, er um, buyer for a 50gal tank.

ETA: Maybe I'll spend some coin on a 6500K light and turn it into a terrarium.

WA4TM
12-23-2010, 10:18 PM
4 Dogs

1 Miniature Wire haired Dachshund Female 10# Inside
1 Malamute/ Wolf Female 115# Inside
1 Malamute Male 135# Outside
1 Beagle/ ??? Female 40# Outside (Sons dog)

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/8120211@N02/)

NQ6U
12-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Frankie, AKA "America's Finest Kitty," who's on my lap as I type this. That's it at the moment.

We did have a parrot—Giuseppe Verdi, a Yellow-headed Amazon—until a couple of years ago, an evil little bastid who hated everybody but Georgianna, my XYL. I tried to be patient, but came close to stomping the fscker a few times. Finally, he bit the shit out of Georgianna on her first day home from a hospital stay and that sealed his fate. We found him a new home within a couple of weeks. The occasional feather still shows up from time to time and there are places on the walls where the stains of flung food are still apparent.

I do not miss him.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/smallrot.jpg

K7SGJ
12-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Currently we have 4 dogs, 1 rabbit, a parakeet, some chickens, and a few pigmy goats on the way. We just lost some of our chickens and ducks to a rogue bobcat. I still have no idea how it got the door to the coop open. A few days after all that, I heard a hell of a racket going on outside, so I grabbed my 9mm and ran out only to find one of the smaller dogs cornered by a bobcat right off the front porch. Maybe the same one, who knows. The cat turned toward me and started to growl. An awesome sound I hadn't heard before, and one I will remembers for a long time. Everything I tried to do to get it away from my dog only provoked him more. I finally had to shoot him. It was a pity as it was a beautiful animal.

al2n
12-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Two cats: Popcorn is 14 and Princess is 7. Thinking of adopting another kitten, but the wife says no. May just have to 'find' a stray that will work its way into her heart before she can say no.

We have had gerbils in the past, but they grew old and died. Used to keep some fish as well and have been wanting to get another aquarium, but we are not sure where we would put it.

K7SGJ
12-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Two cats: Popcorn is 14 and Princess is 7. Thinking of adopting another kitten, but the wife says no. May just have to 'find' a stray that will work its way into her heart before she can say no.

We have had gerbils in the past, but they grew old and died. Used to keep some fish as well and have been wanting to get another aquarium, but we are not sure where we would put it.

CGC has a tank to get rid of, but it comes with a BIG dog in it.

KA5PIU
12-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Hello.

Right now there are nothing but the roaches.
But the last pair of cats lived form around 13 to 16? years old.
I do well with cats but do not like dogs that want to jump on me.
What got me off animals was this bunch from animal rescue.
One wanted to give me psycho kitty, explaining that "somebody made it that way".
I prefer the Siamese or Colorpoint Shorthair but the American Shorthair is also good.
Once I am over the animal rescue bunch I will again get a cat, or 2, as Siamese prefer to be in pairs.

W5GA
12-23-2010, 11:47 PM
7 dogs - 6 Shelties and one Great Pyrenees, 7 cats - all Heinz 57, one goat - my stallions buddy, 9 horses - a mix of Paints, Percherons and Spotted Drafts, 7 cows - all Dexters, and 2 chickens - Barred Rocks.

The Great Pyr is supposed to keep the 'yotes away, but she's old and fat and a complete sweetheart. That's why I only have 2 chickens.

KG4CGC
12-23-2010, 11:54 PM
CGC has a tank to get rid of, but it comes with a BIG dog in it.
I wonder what shipping would be on that?

K7SGJ
12-24-2010, 12:11 AM
I wonder what shipping would be on that?

Offhand, I would say that shipping would be......................worth it.

kc7jty
12-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Barred rocks are cool, lay right through a North Idaho winter eating snow for water (too cheep to buy water heater). I'm all the animal I can handle at the moment. Even my neighbor is doing nice things for me. I don't want to tip the scales.

KG4CGC
12-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Age 9, 19 hamsters.
Age 8, 2 hamsters.

kc7jty
12-24-2010, 01:32 AM
The past doesn't count.

PA5COR
12-24-2010, 04:39 AM
3 Cats, 2 chose to live here rather as their original owner, 1 Maine Coon my wife ( and me) wanted and bought.
Yes, we're suckers for cats.....

N8YX
12-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Couple of cats. One is a Manx-tabby cross and looks just like that black-and-white "kitchen clock cat" which was popular back in the 70s. The other is a Maine Coon and for all intents and purposes is identical to the one in Paul's (LAF) avatar.

W4GPL
12-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Hope.. or Hopie the "black lab mix"..

http://heliosj.iddings.us/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=123&g2_serialNumber=2

She knew 12 hours before I left the apartment that I was going to abandon her over Christmas. If I didn't know better, I'd think she knew what a duffle bag is for. It's crazy how savvy these creatures can be.

ab1ga
12-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Two cats:

MacDuff who, like his namesake, has orange hair, is very courageous, and a little bit stupid. Has had kidney disease for six years, but special diet and now weekly hydration keep him wanting to do cat things like wake the staff at 0230 and go outside in inclement weather.

His sister Scurvy, aka KeeKee, aka La Scorbuta (formal occasions). Much more timid (or wary?), she always has a look of shocked surprise on her face, gives a slight warning meow before jumping in your lap or on your shoulder (the "Geronimeow"), and if thwarted will proceed to shred the wall-to-wall carpet right in front of you. (Item for remodeling list: install hardwood floors, thoroughly waxed, with area rugs. )

n6hcm
12-25-2010, 05:30 AM
three cats:

- kitten. her name is tasha, but she's lately called kitten. of course, she's more than twenty years old. a cancer survivor, she's now in good health ... kinda feral. she's stays by herself in the kitchen or under the living room sofa, but will occasionally take a nap with me. i've had her since she was seven.
- bob, who is about three years old. i've had him since he was about six months. bob is smart and kind (he lets sam chew him up regularly), and he seems to miss his buddy marcus who passed on earlier this year. bob generally sleeps with me.
- sam is about a year and a half old. still very kitteny. he lives for the laser pointer--i bought one of those bolt things and he loves it. he likes to sleep at the highest point in the living room (where he can see into the bedroom if bob and i are watching tv together).
- marcus was in his teens when he passed on last spring. he was a maine coon, and i'm kinda sorta looking for a maine coon kitten now but not really. marcus was *my* kitty (tasha and marcus were the result of a past relationship ... marcus bonded with me, as maine coons often do).

w2amr
12-25-2010, 05:40 AM
One female German Shepherd
six pet pigeons
one feral cat
And a partridge in a pear tree

W4RLR
12-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I've had more animals than I could count. Currently, we have two Keeshond dogs, a long haired Chihuahua, two Siamese cats, a domestic short hair cat, three gerbils, and two tanks of tropical fish.

The critters outnumber the humans here.

WX7P
12-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Fraidy- our near-sighted feral killing machine. All mice, voles and rats beware.
Tarja- Our Maine Coon (noting an Island pattern here) who's a 15 lb. monster.
The Chairman (aka Chairman Mao, or Ho Chi Minh Kitty)- He's a tabby/Siamese mix, although he looks Siamese. Very Cool Cat.

The dearly departed:

Junior-Mellow feral tabby who made it to almost 18. He was around before my daughter was born and had this "oh shit" look on his face when we brought her home from the hospital. He was a really great cat.

Loaf- Cantankerous crabby Yellow tabby who was my daughter's favorite cat. He toddled off and died somewhere about a year ago at age 16.

Girly-aka Zsa Zsa, a Himalayan who was very diva like. Things always had to be "just so" for the girlmeister. She had her "safety chair" on the porch of our Santa Rosa house and hung out there most of the day. She wasn't a big kitty, but she would stare down any size dog the that tried to mess with her space while she was on her chair. She got wiped out by bad Chinese kitty food at age 13.

The Fuzz: Another Maine Coon and Fraidy's sister. Fuzz was a birder. She would catch birds and release them in the house in Tulelake. She'd torture them for awhile until you heard the CRUNCH which meant it was time for lunch. She got run over by a tractor in Tule at 1 1/2 years old. My wife is still upset about losing the Fuzz, and that was almost 3 years ago.

n6hcm
12-27-2010, 02:34 AM
(noting an Island pattern here)

well, none of my current critters are maine coons, but marcus was and chelsea probably had some maine coon in her history (she had the look and the personality but was pure white). maine coons make exceptional companion kitties and they often bond with one person (marcus would eschew my ex when i was away on travel ... until most of a week had passed, and then he'd visit with brian only briefly until i returned).

tasha ("kitten") is the hunter ... or would be, if i let her outside.