PDA

View Full Version : Watch out Luke, here it comes....

N1LAF
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
... heavy snow and blizzard potential for the Northeast at the end of the weekend!

Bet Luke has gotten more snow than where I live too - nothing for this season yet.

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2010/400x266_12231658_snowstormintensity.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43427/california-monster-storm-to-fi.asp

ki4itv
12-23-2010, 02:06 PM
No telling what's really going to happen here, Paul. The weather guys are all over the map on this one and Richmond is right on the foot or nothing line. We shall see. I know I'm ready for the usual heavy one...or even slightly worse than usual.

W3MIV
12-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I have family obligations in Leesburg on Sunday, and my niece is supposed to fly to CT on Tuesday. Neither prospect looks too bright at present.

PA5COR
12-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Be carefull anyway.
Good luck anyone that will get in there....

NQ6U
12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
No snow here but we're just beginning to dry out from the recent deluge. I had six inches (15cm) of standing water in my front yard and discovered that my roof needs some repairs...

kb2vxa
12-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Right, they're all over the map with this one. Tracking off the coast there is "a chance of snow" for the CNJ Shore so I'll go with the area philosophy: Welcome to the Jersey Shore, if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes.

Well Carl, a little to the west in the San Diego area Coaster service has been suspended for the holiday due to a mile of track being undermined. At least you didn't get much water in the house but you'll be fixing a hole where the rain gets in and stops your mind from wandering... where it will go. You got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time.

W7XF
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
No snow here but we're just beginning to dry out from the recent deluge. I had six inches (15cm) of standing water in my front yard and discovered that my roof needs some repairs...

Carl...
SoCal got drenched...all I got here at CasaDeShady was 0.21". But the chilly temps did make it here.

ad4mg
12-24-2010, 02:48 PM
... heavy snow and blizzard potential for the Northeast at the end of the weekend!

Bet Luke has gotten more snow than where I live too - nothing for this season yet.

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2010/400x266_12231658_snowstormintensity.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43427/california-monster-storm-to-fi.asp

Ha! Looks like it's your turn! :lol:

I think we'll escape this one. Surely there is another to follow with our name on it ... :scared:

N1LAF
12-24-2010, 10:53 PM
There is already of a forecast of 15 inches of snow, blizzard late...

Storm hasn't even formed off the coast yet...

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ct/gales-ferry/06335/forecast-details.asp?fday=3

N2NH
12-24-2010, 10:59 PM
There is already of a forecast of 15 inches of snow, blizzard late...

Storm hasn't even formed off the coast yet...

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ct/gales-ferry/06335/forecast-details.asp?fday=3

Why would this faze you Paul?

W3MPS
12-24-2010, 11:07 PM
I hope it snows until it's waist deep on a 10 foot tall Eskimo. Only without all of the tree branches hanging down on my road.

Ever try driving 15 miles of back roads with a 102" whip twanging, and whanging, and banging away? I think I had to bend that antenna back straight-ish at least three times last winter. And then there was the time I almost whacked a power line that was hanging a little low do to an insulator that decided to break do to the cold.

Spent the fall working on upgrades to the Jeep. Now I'm curious to see what I can do with automatic locking differentials front and rear and a new set of 30" Dunlop Mud Rovers.

N1LAF
12-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Luke, Albert, George, here comes that storm...
Blizzard possible in New England

ki4itv
12-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Starting to look like we're gonna get hammered.

kb2vxa
12-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Kilroy I'm surprised at you. Have you ever heard of a hold down clip on the rain gutter?

Well, I don't know about hammered but it looks like snow, how much remains to be seen. From the NWS in Mount Holly:

Sunday: Snow. High near 34. Breezy, with a north wind 8 to 11 mph increasing to between 20 and 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Periods of snow. Low around 26. Windy, with a north wind around 29 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Monday: Snow likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Windy, with a north wind around 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%

ad4mg
12-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Starting to look like we're gonna get hammered.
Naw ... 2" - 3" max here in Richmond. 4" - 6" in Williamsburg.

You heard it here first!

(according to Wakefield)

N1LAF
12-25-2010, 05:10 PM
We don't get these often.... Blizzard Warning in effect from 6 am Sunday to 6 PM EST Monday...

Sunday
Snow likely in the morning...then snow with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Blowing snow in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times in the afternoon with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches. Blustery with highs in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph...increasing to 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Sunday Night
Snow with a chance of thunderstorms in the evening... then snow after midnight. Blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times in the evening with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Additional snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches. Windy with lows in the mid 20s. North winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Monday
Snow. Blowing snow. Additional light snow accumulation. Windy and cold with highs in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent.
-----------------

I am ready!

N1LAF
12-25-2010, 05:14 PM

You heard it here first!

(according to Wakefield)

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 7 PM EST Sunday.

* Areas affected: central and south central Virginia...

* precipitation types: light snow will affect the region this
evening... and will become heavy at times into into Sunday
evening.

* Accumulation: 3 to 6 inches of snow is likely across the warned
area. Locally higher amounts over 6 inches are possible.

* Timing: accumulating snow is expected tonight into Sunday
evening. The heaviest snow is expected on Sunday.

n2ize
12-25-2010, 08:01 PM

You mmean winter Nor'easters don;t hit your area ?

N2NH
12-25-2010, 09:52 PM

They call those the Santa Ana Winds. OTOH, what's some snow to a place that seems to inspire snow jobs?

W3MPS
12-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm surprised at you. Have you ever heard of a hold down clip on the rain gutter?

Ummm, I never got around to fabricating one. Although now that you mention it that's on my to do list. I used to tuck it into the plastic tie down point on my roof rack, but without the corona ball on there anymore it doesn't want to stay put.

To make a story short, coming around a corner at night, my antenna made contact with a fairly substantial section of three that a recent wind storm had cause to separate from the main trunk. Some sort of fir tree if I remember right. Said impact was at about 55 MPH and spun the ball mount and I had to let the whip drag about a quarter of a mile due to no spot to safely pull over. Now my ball's ground off and my whip has no tip. I'm just happy it didn't wrinkle the rear quarter panel on my Cherokee.

They're predicting snow all day Sunday here in Delaware, maybe more on Monday. Nothing yet so far.

NQ6U
12-26-2010, 12:43 AM

No, we get Sou'westers here. They rarely bring snow at my elevation (~450' ASL) but they can bring buckets of rain.

ad4mg
12-26-2010, 05:27 AM

You heard it here first!

(according to Wakefield)

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 7 PM EST Sunday.

* Areas affected: central and south central Virginia...

* precipitation types: light snow will affect the region this
evening... and will become heavy at times into into Sunday
evening.

* Accumulation: 3 to 6 inches of snow is likely across the warned
area. Locally higher amounts over 6 inches are possible.

* Timing: accumulating snow is expected tonight into Sunday
evening. The heaviest snow is expected on Sunday.
Just over 3" of wet snow here at the airport, as of 0330. Most of the snowfall is now east of us. TWC says it will snow more today, but it appears to be moving on up your way. I doubt we get any more significant accumulation.

The wet snow took down the power lines nearby - our lights went off at 8:15pm yesterday, came back on at 1:45am this morning.

ad4mg
12-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Maybe I should re-think this ... I'm in eastern Henrico:

* ACCUMULATION: ADDITIONAL SNOWFALL OF 2 TO 5 INCHES IS LIKELY ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 7 INCHES IS POSSIBLE... HIGHEST AMOUNTS ACROSS FAR EASTERN HENRICO... CHESTERFIELD... AND DINWIDDIE COUNTIES.
* TIMING: ACCUMULATING SNOW IS EXPECTED TODAY INTO THIS EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED FROM 9 AM THROUGH 3 PM.

Bummer ...

N1LAF
12-26-2010, 05:37 AM
Luke, you wouldn't think I'd make a post like this for any old snow storm...

KA5PIU
12-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Hello.

Here it is 30, a full 2 degrees below freezing!

W2NAP
12-26-2010, 05:43 AM
for some reason im thinking nelson

HA-HA!

we seem to keep missing all the big stuff here.

ad4mg
12-26-2010, 05:53 AM
Luke, you wouldn't think I'd make a post like this for any old snow storm...
Predictions for this one were all over the place, at least for the central east coast. The last storm here was predicted to be pretty significant, but it petered out, and I think many here didn't take the forecast seriously. Only one local meteorologist predicted >6", and he was laughed off as a hack.

Even if we get the max of 7", it's still little more than an inconvenience for anyone with a little common sense. Power outages are the worst we have to deal with, and the temps aren't bitter cold ... my house was still quite comfortable without heat for a few hours. I never considered dragging the generator out, and wasn't unless the power was still off this morning. Alternate heat sources here are the fireplace, and a very large portable kerosene heater.

It may be quite dangerous up your way. I recall blizzards from the time we lived on Lake Erie. I can remember having to dig our way out of the house, snow drifts of 10' -15', and people actually "drowning" from falling into such drifts. And, unlike a snowstorm, where the precipitation actually moderates the temperatures, all bets are off when that wind kicks up and temperatures drop dramatically.

I vividly recall the day we left Ohio. It was -13°, and we had 13" of snow in the previous days. And the date was March 13.

Be careful up there. I know how brutal these storms are up north ...

N2NH
12-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Alright, I'm scoffing no more. Blizzard conditions and up to 16" predicted? That's major. :bowdown:

And about a day late too. Wonder how I'm going to get home tonight??:dunno:

WX7P
12-26-2010, 10:56 AM
They predicted rain bad craziness here, but it mostly veered south and dumped on SoCal, although it was raining pretty hard when I picked up my daughter at the airport.

Luke, Paul, et al, I feel your snow pain. Just two seasons of that shit in Tulelake was enough for me. I have something called Raynaud's Syndrome, which means if the temps get below 40 F, my fingers and toes go numb and start to turn blue. Didn't realize I had that until we moved to Modoc.

N1LAF
12-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Dave, I believe I heard about 12% of the population is affected by the cold that way

Anyways, it is 12:41 pm, it has been snowing for about an hour now, can hear the winds overhead, and a heavy band of snow is about to come across the coast line..
In Ledyard, I have 28 degrees

It has begun!

NQ6U
12-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Dave, that little storm hit here late last night. Not much to it, really, just moderate rain for a couple of hours. Thankfully, the patches I put on my roof Friday held up and everything stayed dry.

n2ize
12-26-2010, 01:11 PM
This is nothing new folks. Winter = cold, snow, ice. Summer = hot, sunny, showers, thunderstorms. Been happening that way for centuries.

N1LAF
12-26-2010, 01:16 PM
This is nothing new folks. Winter = cold, snow, ice. Summer = hot, sunny, showers, thunderstorms. Been happening that way for centuries.

Though not new, but could be one of those "1 every 20 year" storm. They do not call for Blizzard warnings for a few flakes of snow.

Other Notables:
Blizzard of 1993
Blizzard of 1978 (Biggest blizzard I have been through)
There was a Blizzard in the Mid-60's, I remember seeing snow drifts going over roofs...

Blizzard Warning has been upgraded to include all of Connecticut

In the past hour, temps have dropped 2 degrees, to 26F
12:41 pm = 28F
1:30 pm = 26F
2:41 pm = 25.5F
3:18 pm = 25F
3:39 pm = 24.5F still falling...
4:28 pm = 23.0F

Luke, any updates? More than 1 -3"?

n2ize
12-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Though not new, but could be one of those "1 every 20 year" storm. They do not call for Blizzard warnings for a few flakes of snow.

Other Notables:
Blizzard of 1993
There was a Blizzard in the Mid-60's, I remember seeing snow drifts going over roofs...

Blizzards have more to do with wind strength and visibility than snowfall. You can have a blizzard condition with no actual snow falling provided that winds are strong enough to blow large amounts of snow that is already on the ground around enough such that visibility is reduced to about 1/4 mile or less.

I think I remember the one in 1978. It snowed extremely hard all night long. By the morning the sun was out and there was better than 2 feet of snow on the ground. I still managed to get a train into the city with little or no problem.

I also remember the one in 1993.I had to get somewhere the next morning. To get into the street where the plow had reduced the level of snow somewhat required swimming through a snow drift. Travel was pretty much paralyzed that day but by the day after things were more or less tolerable.

This storm is obviously going to be blizzard-like, if not a fll blown blizzard. Visiibility is going to be quite low and snowfall and winds heavy enough to produce significant accumulations before the whole thing leaves the area.

N1LAF
12-26-2010, 03:23 PM
The Blizzard of 1978 was by far the worse I have seen. We had snowfall for more than 24 hours, 30 inches of snow, northeastern CT had 40 inches to 4 feet. Roads were closed for 5 days. There were 15 foot drifts. It may not have been as bad in NYC, but for southeastern New England, it was exceptionally bad.

ad4mg
12-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Other Notables:
Blizzard of 1993

3:18 pm = 25F

Luke, any updates? More than 1 -3"?
It seems to have finished it's work here. I measure just shy of 5" at the house. Heavier amounts east of here, Williamsburg was looking at 10", Norfolk, 8". Big snow for the eastern side of the state, which usually gets rain.

I hear you'll be lucky to get by with < 12" there ...

N1LAF
12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
It seems to have finished it's work here. I measure just shy of 5" at the house. Heavier amounts east of here, Williamsburg was looking at 10", Norfolk, 8". Big snow for the eastern side of the state, which usually gets rain.

I hear you'll be lucky to get by with < 12" there ...

The new Weather Channel forecast 14" to 20"
NWS: * ACCUMULATIONS...12 TO 18 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

The temp has dropped 3 degrees since the start

ad4mg
12-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Brutal. "Normal" automobiles are toast at 6" - 8", 4WD trucks, 12" - 18" unless it's one of those "monster mudders" with 36" tires on it.

You have a tractor with an enclosed cab? :-D

n2ize
12-26-2010, 03:43 PM

The temp has dropped 3 degrees since the start

Yes, I heard there is an expectation for 18-20" or maybe more in spots. My friend who works in sanitation was hoping to spend this weekend at home with his family. Unfortunately now he's going to be spending it driving a snowplow and salt spreader around the place. I feel sorry for anyone who is stuck having to travel in this. Fortunately I don't have to go anywhere today or tomorrow.

n2ize
12-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Lets face it. As much as people complain they are actually loving this storm. It's a break from the day to day mundane stuff. People can;t wait to get out in this snow and start shoveling, walking to the local grocery to stock up on provisions they won;t need, or, just to find some excuse to get out there in the thick of it. Oh, ask them and they'll tell you it's horrible and how much they hate it. But the more they say they hate it the more they're totally loving it.

KC2UGV
12-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Blizzards have more to do with wind strength and visibility than snowfall. You can have a blizzard condition with no actual snow falling provided that winds are strong enough to blow large amounts of snow that is already on the ground around enough such that visibility is reduced to about 1/4 mile or less.

I think I remember the one in 1978. It snowed extremely hard all night long. By the morning the sun was out and there was better than 2 feet of snow on the ground. I still managed to get a train into the city with little or no problem.

I also remember the one in 1993.I had to get somewhere the next morning. To get into the street where the plow had reduced the level of snow somewhat required swimming through a snow drift. Travel was pretty much paralyzed that day but by the day after things were more or less tolerable.

This storm is obviously going to be blizzard-like, if not a fll blown blizzard. Visiibility is going to be quite low and snowfall and winds heavy enough to produce significant accumulations before the whole thing leaves the area.

Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo: 3 inches of snow. Result: Shut down of the city for 1 1/2 weeks.

All 3 inches dumped on the lake blew over and dumped back onto the city.

But, alas, I wasn't even born yet :snicker:

n2ize
12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I thing this storm is basically over. it's snowin light here and it seems to be taperin down. The radar map ain't showin much either. The heaviest it shows is moderate and the tail end of the storm is already round Jersey. I'll bet a couple more hours and poof-wang this storm will be outta the ballpark. Then next week temperatures are gonna be shootin up. Extended forecast is lookin like warm weather for most of january.

KG4CGC
12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
I thing this storm is basically over. it's snowin light here and it seems to be taperin down. The radar map ain't showin much either. The heaviest it shows is moderate and the tail end of the storm is already round Jersey. I'll bet a couple more hours and poof-wang this storm will be outta the ballpark. Then next week temperatures are gonna be shootin up. Extended forecast is lookin like warm weather for most of january.
Yeah, John is right. This storm petered out before it even got started.
TWC made a big about Raleigh NC but to see the vid, all the roads are clear. Their premise on Friday was that Raleigh was a place that couldn't handle clearing roads very well.
Gee! Poor poor Weather Channel! They didn't get their disaster. Good thing I say!

n2ize
12-26-2010, 06:20 PM
The radar map shows the end of the storm about halfway through jersey already.. I say another hour and its over.

kb2vxa
12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't know what you're looking at but the NWS radar mosaic Northeast Sector shows it's still going strong as far south as the Delmarva Peninsula. Here it's still coming down thick and fast and it didn't take but a few hours to bury us up to our assets. It's not over until the fat lady stops shedding dandruff and she has a way to go yet. All day motor vehicle incidents have been piling up faster than the snow, people just don't have sense enough to chain up or stay put. By now the draggin' wagon isn't enough, they need front end loaders just to find them.

Welcome to the Jersey Shore. If you're not driving a plow/spreader turn around and go home.

KG4CGC
12-26-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't know what you're looking at but the NWS radar mosaic Northeast Sector shows it's still going strong as far south as the Delmarva Peninsula. Here it's still coming down thick and fast and it didn't take but a few hours to bury us up to our assets. It's not over until the fat lady stops shedding dandruff and she has a way to go yet. All day motor vehicle incidents have been piling up faster than the snow, people just don't have sense enough to chain up or stay put. By now the draggin' wagon isn't enough, they need front end loaders just to find them.

Welcome to the Jersey Shore. If you're not driving a plow/spreader turn around and go home.
If people in Jersey are anywhere close to the way they are on their reality shows, not only do they have no business behind the wheel at ANY time but they have no business drinking either.

n2ize
12-26-2010, 08:43 PM
It's great out there. Just got back from a walk in the blizzard. It was awesome, snow and wind slamming me in the face, drifting snow battering me to the point where I could hardly walk and where I couldn't see a foot ahead of me. It felt great. The feel of that cold wind and blowing snow is refreshing and invigorating. Plus the sense of the power and intensity of the storm is best felt when you're outdoors feeling the full effects of it. Reminds me of being out in a severe thunderstorm and getting pounded by drenching rain, hailstones, and cold downdrafts. I might head out for another walk in a little while. This kind of weather rules !!

n2ize
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo: 3 inches of snow. Result: Shut down of the city for 1 1/2 weeks.

All 3 inches dumped on the lake blew over and dumped back onto the city.

But, alas, I wasn't even born yet :snicker:

I was about 19 years old at that time. We had some pretty strong snowstorms down here that year.. But, nothing near as bad compared to what happened in your area back then. The whole city of Buffalo was in a dire state of emergency then. After the storm, helicopter rescue squads had to bring food to people in remote areas and check on their well being as well as coordinate any needed medical attention. For several days after the only means of transport was by helicopter or snowmobile. It was all over the news down here. That was the same year we had the big blackout.

KG4CGC
12-26-2010, 09:07 PM
January 1988, we could have used snowmobiles here in EM84. My saving grave was my '72 VW 313. (that's a Super Beetle to you regular folk)
Most awesome car in the snow and trails. Went places that the Jeeps of the day could not touch. Only suspension modification, if you want to call it that, was gas shocks.

N2NH
12-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Alright youse win. Just walked home a mile in near white-out conditions with winds over 40 MPH. How do I know they were that high? I'm 240 and they were nearly knocking me off my feet. Jeez, hope this is the big one this winter. Last year was bad enough. It looks pretty for about a half a block. Then it's a matter of survival. They closed the job an hour and a half early tonight.

Also, the Eagles/Vikes game in Philly was cancelled. Rescheduled for the 28th. They'd never do that in the old days. Wusses.

n2ize
12-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm heading back out there.

W4GPL
12-26-2010, 10:04 PM
My Dad and a coworker were commuting from Buffalo to Hamburg during the Blizzard of '77. It was pretty scary for them, trapped for over a day.

n2ize
12-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I was out there about a half hour ago. The wind and the volume of snow that was hitting me was so intense I literally felt like I was drowning in it. It felt ultra refreshing but I wouldn;t advaise anyone walking off too far in this.

Speaking of which I just called a friiend of mine to urge him to rethink his idea of heading out to work at 3:00 am. I told him that his job will probably be closed anyway and that the buses and public transportation might not be running. he seemed oblivious to the fact that there was a blizzard out there.

KG4CGC
12-26-2010, 11:50 PM
It's NY DAMMITT! The Show, must go on!

I think if anyone enjoys crap blizzards that much, they might enjoy smoking a Newport.

n2ize
12-27-2010, 12:02 AM

I think if anyone enjoys crap blizzards that much, they might enjoy smoking a Newport.

Heck, when this ends I'll be out there clearing out snow.... I'll have my new radio tuned to the Alpine repeater, I'll have my authentic Jon-E handwarmer in one pocket and my Zippo windproof in the other. And, with some luck I might get to light up and smoke a Newport.

Right now I am going to listen to a few old episodes of Sergeant Preston of the Yukon. It kind of fits the mood with the wind and the snow howling outside :).

KC2UGV
12-27-2010, 12:12 AM
My Dad and a coworker were commuting from Buffalo to Hamburg during the Blizzard of '77. It was pretty scary for them, trapped for over a day.

They were lucky, since they were only trapped for a day. Scary shite it is, though. The October Surprise (October of 2006) was our last real scary event. Couldn't even get gas to some of the hospitals to power gen sets.

James Griffin (RIP), Mayor of Buffalo during '77, quoted as saying,"Just stay inside. If you must go anywhere, go grab a six pack, and let us get this cleared out." Good man, there.

n2ize
12-27-2010, 01:59 AM
They were lucky, since they were only trapped for a day. Scary shite it is, though. The October Surprise (October of 2006) was our last real scary event. Couldn't even get gas to some of the hospitals to power gen sets.

James Griffin (RIP), Mayor of Buffalo during '77, quoted as saying,"Just stay inside. If you must go anywhere, go grab a six pack, and let us get this cleared out." Good man, there.

Problem is that in a crowded area you have people that need various types of medical treatment. A first priority is to gain them the ability to access those services as soon as possible.

NQ6U
12-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Problem is that in a crowded area you have people that need various types of medical treatment. A first priority is to gain them the ability to access those services as soon as possible.

Bleeding heart. If they ain't tough enough to make it on their own then just let 'em die. It's called survival of the fittest and it's how you thin the herd.

N2NH
12-27-2010, 02:41 AM
I thing this storm is basically over.

Really? Well I got wet feet stepping into a foot of basically over then when it went over the 9" boot.

N1LAF
12-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Blizzard Bust

At least in southeastern CT. I think we may have reached 6" or so in snowfall, the winds sounded impressive last night though. But overall, it does not have the makings of a great blizzard because of the lack of snowfall.

Yesterday I saw this big slug of dry air, as marked by clearing, right up to the storm center. Henry at Accuweather said don't worry, it will fill in, and will have big snow. This dry air actually killed a lot of it's snow making capacity, without that slug of dry air, it could have been much worse.

By looking at the radar during the day, looks like the worst of the storm (snow totals) was from western MA, Hudson river valley, western half of CT, straight down through NJ and over towards Philadelphia.

At 6:20 this morning, looks like the storm center was crossing right over Nantucket

Have to wait for the next storm potential...

Watch out for the media hype!

n2ize
12-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Blizzard Bust

At least in southeastern CT. I think we may have reached 6" or so in snowfall, the winds sounded impressive last night though. But overall, it does not have the makings of a great blizzard because of the lack of snowfall.

Yesterday I saw this big slug of dry air, as marked by clearing, right up to the storm center. Henry at Accuweather said don't worry, it will fill in, and will have big snow. This dry air actually killed a lot of it's snow making capacity, without that slug of dry air, it could have been much worse.

By looking at the radar during the day, looks like the worst of the storm (snow totals) was from western MA, Hudson river valley, western half of CT, straight down through NJ and over towards Philadelphia.

At 6:20 this morning, looks like the storm center was crossing right over Nantucket

Have to wait for the next storm potential...

Watch out for the media hype!

You might have a bit of a wait. The weather is going to start turning warm and it going to remain warm for most of January, We'll probably see another cold shot in Febuary for a week or two followed by the spring warmup as we approach March. In short, winter is going to shut off for a while.

Right now it looks as if the snow is over here. The sun looks like its starting to break through.

N1LAF
12-27-2010, 07:34 AM
John, Have you seen this radar site?

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=41.43449&lon=-72.06943&zoom=10&type=hyb&rad=1&rad.num=6&rad.spd=25&rad.opa=70&rad.stm=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

n2ize
12-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Bleeding heart. If they ain't tough enough to make it on their own then just let 'em die. It's called survival of the fittest and it's how you thin the herd.

If there are any problems related to the storm there is nothing to worry about. IARN "jump teams" will be ready to spring into action. They are hours ahead when minutes count.

n2ize
12-27-2010, 08:13 AM

How about a Winston Break instead ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqdTBDkUEEQ

n2ize
12-27-2010, 08:14 AM
John, Have you seen this radar site?

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=41.43449&lon=-72.06943&zoom=10&type=hyb&rad=1&rad.num=6&rad.spd=25&rad.opa=70&rad.stm=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

Yeah, looks pretty good. Right now out the window I'm seeing hazy blue sky with scattered clouds. Winds have diminished a lot.

N2NH
12-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Aftermath.

No Subway service in this area. The closest that is 'working' is too far away to get to in the snow. Buses? Not happening. So, I guess this is about as close as you get to being snowed in in NYC. It sure is quiet. Too quiet.

You know, I was just thinking... a lot of tourists from Europe come here. Many were stranded in Europe because of the storms there last week. Now they're stuck here...

n2ize
12-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Aftermath.

No Subway service in this area. The closest that is 'working' is too far away to get to in the snow. Buses? Not happening. So, I guess this is about as close as you get to being snowed in in NYC. It sure is quiet. Too quiet.

You know, I was just thinking... a lot of tourists from Europe come here. Many were stranded in Europe because of the storms there last week. Now they're stuck here...

Things will be moving along before the day is out. Right now I got a downed snowthrower out in the field. It seems like a click pin gave out and it blew a wheel. I'm headed out into the field to initiate emergency repairs. I gotta get this baby up and plowing within the hour. Right about now it sounds like Metro North is starting to get rolling again. But with problems,

N1LAF
12-27-2010, 01:20 PM
If there are any problems related to the storm there is nothing to worry about. IARN "jump teams" will be ready to spring into action. They are hours ahead when minutes count.

HA!

Was that http://k1man.net or http://k1man.com
Forgot...

PA5COR
12-27-2010, 01:31 PM
How did the little flurry of snow turn out? ;)

Just outside our province they had up to 3 feet+ snow the last 4 weeks, the last 2 feet just be4 Xmas..., add - 15 C and that is what we had here last year, we now had the same temperatures, but missed the snow for the most part, just 2 inches or so, nothing to worry about.
Ah, add the force 9 gale with the snow here...

Snowchains in the van do help, i went through 2 feet of snow with the van and chains on the wheels last year picking up the wife from work, roundtrip 40 miles.

;)

NQ6U
12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I know nothing of this "snow" thing of which you speak.

N1LAF
12-27-2010, 01:44 PM
How did the little flurry of snow turn out? ;)

Just outside our province they had up to 3 feet+ snow the last 4 weeks, the last 2 feet just be4 Xmas..., add - 15 C and that is what we had here last year, we now had the same temperatures, but missed the snow for the most part, just 2 inches or so, nothing to worry about.
Ah, add the force 9 gale with the snow here...

Snowchains in the van do help, i went through 2 feet of snow with the van and chains on the wheels last year picking up the wife from work, roundtrip 40 miles.

;)

Not what I expected from the initial hype. I saw this big slug of dry air come up through the middle of the storm, and was causing open areas - areas of not snowing, and many of those areas came up over SE CT. Henry from Accuweather noted the dry air, and said they will fill in over time. But, he expanded on that thought, saying that without a high pressure area just to the north of the storm, the snow will have definite banding, rather than a uniform widespread snow distribution if there was a High sitting above the storm. The banding was evident that I only had 4 inches, but RI just across the border had over a foot, and central-west Long Island had up to two feet.

PA5COR
12-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Glad you missed the worst, like us in Europe the major airports will have a week of stranded people and other hickup's.
It IS wintertime....
I got 220 pounds of road salt before the winter set in, and already spend 1/2...

just a measly -1.5 C now, some freezing rain made the road slippery as h*ll but road salt did it's magic.
Expecting more snow in the next days, just a minor inconvenience.

http://weerfoto.buienradar.nl/p/2010/12/25326.jpg (http://weerfoto.buienradar.nl/s/tr/c3/25326.html)

n2ize
12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I like the cold weather. I enjoy it. I was enjoying that blizzard last night.

kb2vxa
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh I just LOVE 18 degree temperature, 50mph wind and horizontal snow so thick I can't see more than half a short block. Today nature's snow sculptures look pretty but it'll be another day or two before we dig out enough to get to the grocery store. Oh I stocked up before it closed for Christmas but it doesn't last too long but long enough to get by.