PDA

View Full Version : The Family Tech Support Person

N2CHX
12-20-2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.geekosystem.com/family-tech-support-guy/

I thought many of you could relate to this. Pretty true -- and funny.

KC9ECI
12-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

W3WN
12-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Interesting site.

A Christmas Carol in the original Klingon?

KC9ECI
12-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Interesting site.

A Christmas Carol in the original Klingon?

There was a theater group in the Twin Cities doing that on stage. I think they are somewhere in IL now doing it again. There was an interview on a podcast I listen to with the founder(?) of the group a few weeks back. I like ST, but not all that much.

W3WN
12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm probably one of the few people who can honestly tell you that I saw ST in it's first run on NBC. I can even tell you which episode.

I was a Trekker when Trekkies weren't cool.

But A Christmas Carol in the original Klingon? Give me a break. Get a life, people. Better yet, get a girlfriend (or whatever appropriate significant other) :evil:

NQ6U
12-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm probably one of the few people who can honestly tell you that I saw ST in it's first run on NBC. I can even tell you which episode.

Same here--I started watching around the middle of the first season.

I was a Trekker when Trekkies weren't cool.

I've got new for you: Trekkies are not now, nor have they ever been cool! And this is coming from someone who's number was once listed in the phone book as "Starfleet HQ". (I called up Pacific Bell and told them I wanted a second listing for "H.Q. Starfleet". They didn't charge for a second listing back then.)

PA5COR
12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Yep, pretty summed it all up..
Just my father in law left to clear up his 'puter regularly, luckily he's off with their camper for 8 months a year ;)
Bad thing, they're back for the wintertime, so if you miss me here for a day or so.....

N5RLR
12-20-2010, 05:09 PM
"Fix Mom's computer once...all future problems your fault."

Hell, that's with anything...computers, radios, cars, etc, ad infinitum. :rant:

"Copy/paste with command keys."

Ofttimes, this is quicker for me than using a mouse. :yes:

kb2vxa
12-21-2010, 04:52 AM
I learned my lesson way back in my TV servicing days when I ended up married to one of those click click rotor boxes that lost their sense of direction 5 minutes after the door closed behind me. It got to be so much of a PITA I could catch a nap as the truck found its own way to the calls.

You need to buy a new silent rotor, I'll even install it free of charge.
Why? This one works just fine!

n6hcm
12-21-2010, 05:43 AM
never again. spent hours deworming someone's system and was accused when something else went wrong. screw that.

mw0uzo
12-21-2010, 07:43 AM
My mum and gran have decided to get on line. Neither have *ever* used a computer before. I am tech support..........ARRRARGRGGRHGRHGHH!

Looking past the jawdropping retardation of computer newbies and the unbelieveable talent for not listening my nan has, the people that are causing the main problems are actually the tech support people at their ISPs. To avoid bothering me, they rang tech support instead. Accounts got broken, email providers got changed and complete confusion was caused.

I have told them not to ring tech support, ring me instead. Its quicker and easier to deal with normal problems rather than the mess tech support has made.

A few things that have have helped me not hang myself from the nearest tree:

1. Set up all accounts for them. Newbies don't know how to fill in forms, or click Next or comprehend any of the text within installers or sign up pages. Choose sensible passwords and email addresses that are memorable to them.
2. No matter how much you hate it and don't want to be pestered by annoying newbs, install Windows Live Messenger and sign up for them and add yourself as a friend. Make sure they know how to find your name, initiate a chat and find the Request remote assistance button. Failure of this step will result in your death.
3. Install a VM on your home machine set up with their version of windows and software. Its a lot easier guiding them that way as you see what you are describing.
4. Set up an ISP independent email e.g. Gmail and get it working with windows live mail.
5. Relax, and when they don't listen, just tell them to fucking listen.
6. Windows usability for newbies is *really* bad. MS have really buggered things up. Icons in stupid places, icons that are difficult to work out what they do. What happened to words and menus? If you have physical access to the computers for these relatives (I do not) seriously consider installing Linux for them. Its usability and simple, clear GNOME interface is far more suitable for newbs. Seriously it is. There is a downside of course... the pain when they bring home a randomly chosen piece of hardware e.g. wi-fi printer. One thing you can be sure of however is whether its Linux or Windows, you will be rung in a panic when they fail pathetically at the first hurdle of setting it up, so you'll have to do it anyway. Choose a stable distro (e.g. ubloatu LTS) and know that hopefully, it will stay working.
7. Computer security from web browsing newbs - see 6. 99% less work.

Thats my solution to the problems anyway. What's yours?

mw0uzo
12-21-2010, 08:16 AM
8. 'Where's my bottle of Laphroaig for Christmas newbs?' should be on your Windows Live sub-name status :lol:

n6hcm
12-22-2010, 12:10 AM
What's yours?

turn off admin on their accounts. windows xp (at least) wants you to make one account with admin privileges--make it a separate account and have them login as ordinary users.

W2NAP
12-26-2010, 05:38 AM
thats why i charge anyone $20 just for me to look at there pc.

N2CHX
11-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Bump.... Because it's still true and still funny.

These days my answer to family computer problems is to hand them a Linux install disk or give them the phone number for Geek Squad. Not worth the hassle.

WØTKX
11-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Remote Desktop Support FTW. Used to use VNC, and Winders Remote Desktop is OK.

I have been using Teamviewer for a while now. Recommended.

NQ6U
11-24-2012, 12:09 PM
I just convinced everyone in the family to replace their Windows machine with a Mac. Calls tapered off over the next few months until now I get maybe one a year.

K7SGJ
11-24-2012, 02:19 PM
I wish Mom and Dad were still around so I could fix their computer.

n2ize
11-25-2012, 07:07 AM
http://www.geekosystem.com/family-tech-support-guy/

I thought many of you could relate to this. Pretty true -- and funny.

This fits me. I am the "family tech support". But I made sure all the machines run Linux so service calls are rare.. Both my parents, born in the 1930's long before the age of computers, insist I install Linux. They prefer it to Windows and if nothing else have become rather savvy in using the Internet. Often they outdo me.

I do have one friend who things that because I know a bit about computers that I can diagnose any problem in the world. He will often call with bizarre questions like, "why is the audio stream of some obscure website in Kasahkstan not working". As if I am supposed to know.

n2ize
11-25-2012, 07:09 AM
That is a nice thought. I wish my Grandparents were still around to experience the Internet. They would have loved it.

N2CHX
11-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Awww. My Mom has one and I used to maintain it but now my sister lives right next door and I'm 45 miles away, so it's become her responsibility. My Dad simply won't touch them.

N2CHX
11-25-2012, 08:39 AM
This fits me. I am the "family tech support". But I made sure all the machines run Linux so service calls are rare.. Both my parents, born in the 1930's long before the age of computers, insist I install Linux. They prefer it to Windows and if nothing else have become rather savvy in using the Internet. Often they outdo me.

I do have one friend who things that because I know a bit about computers that I can diagnose any problem in the world. He will often call with bizarre questions like, "why is the audio stream of some obscure website in Kasahkstan not working". As if I am supposed to know.

Heh, yeah I've gotten the same thing. I've learned to say "I don't know" and not let it bother me.

n6hcm
11-25-2012, 09:10 AM
there are two ways to get me to look at your not-work-related computer problem: cash, or something involving more, closer interpersonal contact. seeing as i'm pretty picky, this narrows it all down substantially.

W5GA
11-26-2012, 01:00 AM
there are two ways to get me to look at your not-work-related computer problem: cash, or something involving more, closer interpersonal contact. seeing as i'm pretty picky, this narrows it all down substantially.
Ass, gas or grass...nobody rides for free.