PDA

View Full Version : USB to serial adapter??? Is it really that easy?

ki4itv
12-18-2010, 06:01 PM
I had a brilliant idea some weeks ago that included changing out the shack computer. Today I decide to set my rig control and digital cables back up completely expecting to get things back like I once had them.

Well, woe is me...the newer machine does not have a serial port and the rig control cable requires one. :lol:

I've been digging around the net looking for adapters and was wondering if there might be something I'm not considering...like drivers (?), compatibility issues, and other computer nuances that might put a chink in my chain.

Any suggestions to avoid possible self-inflicted pain and suffering?
Can I just go out and get one of these things and expect immediate success?
Please keep in mind that I let the computer world pass me by about 1996 and completely expect a little tough love from you guys, but be gentle. ;)

Thanks in advance!
Trey-

NQ6U
12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes and no--it depends on the quality of the driver. All those adapters use pretty much the same chips, so it's the software that matters. My experience would suggest that you avoid the Belkin units but I have had good luck with the IOGear adapter (http://www.iogear.com/product/GUC232A/).

KC2UGV
12-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Yes and no--it depends on the quality of the driver. All those adapters use pretty much the same chips, so it's the software that matters. My experience would suggest that you avoid the Belkin units but I have had good luck with the IOGear adapter (http://www.iogear.com/product/GUC232A/).

+100 internets for this one.

They come in at about $9 per. And, if you find another brand that has the same look (Maybe diff color), it'll work fb as well.

NQ6U
12-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Also, it's possible to buy a serial adapter card (I'm assuming you're not using a laptop). I bought one with two DB-9 ports for $18 on Amazon; it works fine.

ki4itv
12-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Thank you both. I'll do just that (GUC232A), I really appreciate the suggestions!
Let Charles know I'm picking up the drink tab... w00t!

No doubt saved me time, money, and brain cells.:yes:

WØTKX
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
I've had good luck with Keyspan USB adapters.

NQ6U
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
I've had good luck with Keyspan USB adapters.

I second that.

KC9ECI
12-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I bought the cheapest one I could find on ebay and it works just fine with my CI-V cable to control my Icoms.

NQ6U
12-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Okay, Rudy should be here any minute to tell us about the serial-to-USB adapters he's built out of old Motorola radio parts.

ki4itv
12-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Yea Carl, not to mention that the last thing I'm about to do is cobble together a nonexistent solution from fantasy surplus.

KC2UGV
12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Okay, Rudy should be here any minute to tell us about the serial-to-USB adapters he's built out of old Motorola radio parts.

Hello.

Motorola PX200's are not very useful for connecting USB devices.

I once had a ham tell me he was gay, and then was ostracized by the local sheriff's office.

USB-to-Serial adapters can be fashioned using the public key from a Bell 47's APU.

KA5PIU
12-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Hello.

Motorola RIBs do NOT work well with any sort of USB to serial adapter.
Yes, I have had nothing but trouble with the transition from Windows NT-X or 9X to 2000 up.
Modern computers do not have PC-Cards or parallel ports either.
Programming the actual chip on a Motorola radio, or any embedded device, nearly always requires are parallel port and the ability to do a line by line strobe.
If you "brick" your radio this is normally the only way to recover.

kb2vxa
12-19-2010, 08:06 PM
"Well, woe is me...the newer machine does not have a serial port and the rig control cable requires one."
Like mine the mobo may have an on board serial port header on COM-1.

"I've been digging around the net looking for adapters and was wondering if there might be something I'm not considering...like drivers (?), compatibility issues, and other computer nuances that might put a chink in my chain."
The OS usually has the drivers. If push comes to shove install the driver compatible with your OS from the CD that comes with it and you'll have no issues with the computer. Do it with the adapter unplugged, then plug it in and let the computer find it. There is a fly in the ointment like I found out, the adapter may be incompatible with the device you want to connect.

"Any suggestions to avoid possible self-inflicted pain and suffering?"
Yeah, install a serial port card right off the bat saving you headaches and money down the toilet should the adapter not work. Now here's my gripe, two adapters down the chute and with the serial port header located way too far from the rear for a header to DB-9 extender cable to reach I now have a card and DB-9 cable on the way.

"Can I just go out and get one of these things and expect immediate success?"
If it were that easy I'd have my Uniden scanner computer programmable and controlled a long time ago. Once upon a time it worked perfectly well with my ancient beastie and a Rat Shack plug 'n play adapter but times change... oh well.

W3WN
12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Don't tempt him.

W3WN
12-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Hello.

Yes, I have had nothing but trouble with the transition from Windows NT-X or 9X to 2000 up.
Programming the actual chip on a Motorola radio, or any embedded device, nearly always requires are parallel port and the ability to do a line by line strobe.
If you "brick" your radio this is normally the only way to recover.If you say so.

Just don't ever apply for a job with my boss. Once he's done laughing, well, he won't tear you a new one. He'll get out his hammer drill and hole saw and do the job right.

kb2vxa
12-24-2010, 07:49 AM
You have to drill the hole before you can insert the dynamite.

kb2crk
12-28-2010, 08:02 PM

you forgot about the bell helicopter APU parts.

kb2crk
12-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello.

If you "brick" your radio this is normally the only way to recover.

If you say so.

Just don't ever apply for a job with my boss. Once he's done laughing, well, he won't tear you a new one. He'll get out his hammer drill and hole saw and do the job right.

on most of the moto stuff i use, the old computer has a serial port for programing so it is not an issue. for the newer stuff using CPS the usb to serial adapter works fine with a moto rib. i know as i have done it with my HT750. after reading rudys post in the quote i had to reply. my maratracs and maxtracs both prefer slower computers.

W4RLR
12-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I second that.Third, but you can't find "Keyspan" anymore, as they are now known as "TrippLite".

n6hcm
12-29-2010, 07:20 AM
i have some keyspan adapters i'm not using (everything in the house is either snow leopard or windows 7, neither of which are supported with these adapters).