PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Turns to Ham Radio Geek for Antenna Solution

W3WN
12-18-2010, 01:27 PM
From a GM News Release dated 17 December 2010 (http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/Dec/121710_gm_camaro)

Chevy Turns to Ham Radio Geek for Antenna Solution

Camaro Convertible is on his wavelength

DETROIT – When spy shots surfaced of the pre-production version of the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible, an outcry went up among Camaro enthusiasts over the AM/FM whip antenna positioned on the rear deck lid.

Quite simply, they hated it.

Chevrolet was quick to respond, commissioning a self-described antenna freak named Don Hibbard to find a way to fix it. “Antennas are a beautiful thing to me,” says Hibbard, an antenna test performance engineer.

Engineers working on Camaro are passionate to drive perfection into every aspect of the vehicle. Hibbard and colleague Gregg Kittinger had to do what some thought was impossible: conceal the AM/FM antenna without sacrificing radio reception, while not putting it inside the Camaro's windows. The two, who share three other patents, happily accepted the challenge.

“We weren’t sure that it would be possible,” said Kittinger. “Typically antennas are hidden in a vehicle’s rear window, but with a retractable soft-top roof, that’s not an option.”

So they came up with a novel approach – hide the antenna inside the rear spoiler. No one had tried that on a Chevrolet before because of the hit to radio reception.

“We responded to a legitimate criticism from devoted Chevrolet Camaro enthusiasts and in 10 months found an innovative way to improve the overall aesthetics of the vehicle without sacrificing performance and quality,” said Kittinger.

While the shark fin antenna that transmits XM Satellite Radio, OnStar and cellular signals is still present on the car's deck lid, the built-in spoiler antenna eliminates the need for a longer, separate whip antenna to receive AM and FM radio signals.
Hibbard, a lifelong Ham radio enthusiast, says the unorthodox placement of the antenna within the body of the vehicle created a number of technical challenges, such as balancing form by preserving the car’s styling and function of unimpeded audio reception.

“Where other automakers have tried and failed, Chevy succeeded,” said Hibbard. “We hope to take what we’ve learned with the Camaro Convertible, build on it and apply it to future vehicles.”

(Not sure if this is Don Hibbard Jr. W8DBH, or Don Hibbard Sr. KB8VHV)

KG4CGC
12-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Cool article.

kb2vxa
12-19-2010, 07:40 PM
“Where other automakers have tried and failed, Chevy succeeded,” said Hibbard.

Now THAT'S humility.

NQ6U
12-19-2010, 07:44 PM

Now THAT'S humility.

"I'm more humble than you are!"

W4RLR
12-19-2010, 10:32 PM

Now THAT'S humility.As my boss at March AFB used to say "I'm not conceited. I'm CONVINCED!"

suddenseer
12-20-2010, 06:46 AM
As my boss at March AFB used to say "I'm not conceited. I'm CONVINCED!"If you don't mind, I want to steal that one for another forum. GOOD ONE!!

WØTKX
12-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Too bad Apple didn't pay attention to their antenna engineers for the new iPhone. :snicker:

w2amr
12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
IMHO the new Camaro is the coolest looking car to come from US auto makers in many years.8):agree:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11773

KG4CGC
12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
IMHO the new Camaro is the coolest looking car to come from US auto makers in many years.8):agree:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11773
Needs exhaust spinners!
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expIds=25657&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=exhaust+spinners&cp=11&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=801

W5GA
12-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Now, if they can just do something about the weight and the handling...

NQ6U
12-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Needs exhaust spinners!

Here's the perfect one:

http://www.seihin.com/i/06/09/KittyMuffler.jpg

kb2vxa
12-27-2010, 08:57 PM
That doesn't look like a cat that roars. More like Hello Kitty, why the fart can?

KG4CGC
12-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Now, if they can just do something about the weight and the handling...
Compared to a Mustang?

KG4CGC
12-27-2010, 10:03 PM
<snip> why the fart can?
Been asking that same question for about 15 years. Because it's was made cool by Asian gangbangers out West.

W5GA
12-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Compared to a Mustang?
Yeah, curb weight on the Camaro is 3900 lbs. The Mustang is 3400. Both are getting a might portly.

W3WN
12-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah, curb weight on the Camaro is 3900 lbs. The Mustang is 3400. Both are getting a might portly.
I think the reason I like the classic muscle cars up through the pre-emissions era (mid 70's and earlier) is that they look like they were designed by people who not only knew performance, but knew style.

Too many cars today look like they were designed by committee, based on input from focus groups and market research.

One day, I will get my hands on a circa-1969 Corvette... back when a Vette looked like a Vette.

Or better yet, a DMC-1; I'd love a DMC-1F, but you need a flux capacitor to actually have one...

w2amr
12-29-2010, 04:12 AM
I think the reason I like the classic muscle cars up through the pre-emissions era (mid 70's and earlier) is that they look like they were designed by people who not only knew performance, but knew style.

Too many cars today look like they were designed by committee, based on input from focus groups and market research.

One day, I will get my hands on a circa-1969 Corvette... back when a Vette looked like a Vette.

Or better yet, a DMC-1; I'd love a DMC-1F, but you need a flux capacitor to actually have one...
My cousin has a Corvette that he restored about 10 years ago. I'm not sure of the year, but it has a 327 with a 4 speed

W3WN
12-29-2010, 09:32 AM
My cousin has a Corvette that he restored about 10 years ago. I'm not sure of the year, but it has a 327 with a 4 speed
.37703771I'm not enough of an expert to know, but that looks like a 'Vette from the early to mid '60's -- the original Stingray Corvette if I'm not mistaken. From the photo, he looks like he did a fabulous job restoring it as well.

But my favorite is the models of the late '60's, right up until the era of the duck tail.

w2amr
12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm not enough of an expert to know, but that looks like a 'Vette from the early to mid '60's -- the original Stingray Corvette if I'm not mistaken. From the photo, he looks like he did a fabulous job restoring it as well.

But my favorite is the models of the late '60's, right up until the era of the duck tail.Now that you mention it, I think he said it's a 67.