PDA

View Full Version : Going to build a new computer

mw0uzo
12-17-2010, 08:41 AM
My old 2.4Ghz P4 is starting to annoy me. I've increased its life with 2Gb RAM and Linux by several years, but now with all this Javaschit webcrap and Flash that doesn't use the graphical hardware, web browing with loads of tabs has become slow. Blocking flash helped for a while, but the bloat has just become too much.

So its time for a new computer, if I can afford it. Its time for a plan for a new computer!

Bang for buck is above all else. Nice graphics card is omitted as upgrade for future.

The Phenom II 6 core processors look very tempting, 8Gb RAM, gigabyte AM3 ATX mobo with onboard Radeon 4000 series graphics, 3Tb HD (1Gb F3, 2Gb F4). OS would be Linux. Might go for even more RAM.

Anyone done any recent value-performance builds and been impressed by any well built/fast components?

Also, I'm on the look out for value but good quality power supplies. Branded are not always the best, I have seen some branded power supplies which people rate yet look vastly overrated for what components are in there. e.g. power supplies claiming 20A+ 12V rails while inside are TO220 style rectifier diodes.

NQ6U
12-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Here's what I use. Works fine, although getting it hooked up to my radio for PSK31 was a real bitch:

http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/images/1951_univac_large.jpg

n6hcm
12-18-2010, 02:23 AM
The Phenom II 6 core processors look very tempting, 8Gb RAM, gigabyte AM3 ATX mobo with onboard Radeon 4000 series graphics, 3Tb HD (1Gb F3, 2Gb F4). OS would be Linux. Might go for even more RAM.

what is it you're doing that you need this kind of firepower? are you buying backup media for that 3TB disk (you should)?

n2ize
12-18-2010, 06:03 AM
I'm running a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 Gb RAM and I get pretty decent speeds using Linux. Even running Fedora + KDE, several apps at once, 2 browsers, etc. i can watch a flash video which runs pretty smooth onscreen. With 2 Gb RAM on a 2.4 you shouldn't be all that slow.

mw0uzo
12-18-2010, 06:04 AM
what is it you're doing that you need this kind of firepower? are you buying backup media for that 3TB disk (you should)?

Ha, I say this with all seriousness - web browsing!

And programming, some simulation. My computers usually have to last me a long time too. I backup only important files online and to USB HD. No point backing up those gigs of Dexter etc series that you can download again in the event of disaster. And when I can afford that uber graphics card, some gaming on Win 7.

mw0uzo
12-18-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm running a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 Gb RAM and I get pretty decent speeds using Linux. Even running Fedora + KDE, several apps at once, 2 browsers, etc. i can watch a flash video which runs pretty smooth onscreen. With 2 Gb RAM on a 2.4 you shouldn't be all that slow.

Once I get an XP or Win7 VM going and the web browser (was firefox, now chromium) fills up with crap say hello to 100% cpu usage and things start to get unresponsive. Usually its the browser eating up all the CPU before any paging slows things down. Plus any VMs are pretty slow without virtualisation extensions etc.