PDA

View Full Version : Do They have Subways in California ?

n2ize
12-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Well, do they ? When i was watching the 1972 movie Dirty Harry there is a point where he gets on to some kind of a subway. Well, do they punk ?

W5RB
12-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Well, do they ? When i was watching the 1972 movie Dirty Harry there is a point where he gets on to some kind of a subway. Well, do they punk ?

I didn't realize that BART was that old , but the Bay Area Rapid Transit opened in '72 , and does indeed have some underground sections .

NA4BH
12-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Bend over and I'll show ya. :lol: (Christmas Vacation)

NQ6U
12-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Dirty Harry took place in San Francisco, which is considered to be Northern California*. San Francisco does indeed have subways, both for BART and the Municipal Railway (known as the MUNI). Los Angeles and even San Diego have subways of a sort, but nothing as extensive as in S.F.

*Geographically speaking, San Francisco is really in central California but any native Golden State resident would consider Central California to be the area around Santa Maria. Go figure.

Officially, Southern California consists of the state's southernmost ten counties. If you look at a map, you'll see the northern boundaries of those counties from a straight east-west line that's considered the demarcation between Northern and Southern CA.

n2ize
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Okay, sounds interesting. So, I'd imagine that they don't have an extensive underground system as we have here in NY. Of course our system also has underground and, in the outer boroughs above ground sections , Which we call "the El".

W5RB
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Okay, sounds interesting. So, I'd imagine that they don't have an extensive underground system as we have here in NY. Of course our system also has underground and, in the outer boroughs above ground sections , Which we call "the El".

Mileage
104 total: The A-line from Fremont to Lake Merritt, 23.8 miles; the M, W and Y-line from Oakland West to Millbrae, 27 miles; the R-line from Richmond to MacArthur, 10.6 miles; the C-line from Pittsburg/Bay Point to Rockridge, 29.3 miles; and the L-line Dublin/Pleasanton to Bay Fair, 10 miles. There are approximately 37 miles of track through subways and tunnels, 23 miles of aerial track and 44 of surface track (four additional miles of double track in subways and four underground stations for the S.F. Municipal Railway were constructed by BART as specified by the original 1962 plan).

Stations
43 stations comprise 15 surface, 13 elevated and 15 subway stations. Four of these are a combination of BART and MUNI Metro stations in downtown San Francisco and one station is a combination of BART and Caltrain in Millbrae. For an overview of each station, visit the Stations section.

NQ6U
12-16-2010, 07:27 PM

No, San Francisco covers a much smaller land area than NYC; it's subways are all east of the neighborhood known as "West Portal," at the western exit of the Twin Peaks Tunnel. The rest of the city has extensive electric rail and trolley (electric) bus coverage. There are diesel busses too but they don't work as well on the hills as the trolley busses do.

When I was growing up, the famous cable cars were considered to be just another part of the mass transit system but they're strictly for the tourists now.

KA5PIU
12-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Hello.

Chicago has quite a bit of underground track as well and 'Frisco has elevated sections.
Chicago uses an old lever lock police key for just about everything a cop needs to do, including go to the cops only section of the stations.
2 keys and you have it made, traffic control, street call boxes, lock boxes, drop boxes, you name it, 2 keys work it.

n2ize
12-16-2010, 07:43 PM
No, San Francisco covers a much smaller land area than NYC; it's subways are all east of the neighborhood known as "West Portal," at the western exit of the Twin Peaks Tunnel. The rest of the city has extensive electric rail and trolley (electric) bus coverage. There are diesel busses too but they don't work as well on the hills as the trolley busses do.

When I was growing up, the famous cable cars were considered to be just another part of the mass transit system but they're strictly for the tourists now.

I'd love to visit Frisco one of these days. Sounds like a fascinating city. Here in NY we used to have a trolley system. But sadly they destroyed it when Robert Moses and busses came to dominate the area. They burned all the old trolley cars to make sure they would never again run in NY. The oil companies loved it. I remember as a kid seeing the old trolley tracks on some of the streets. Fortunately we still have our subways which are still a major part of our transportation system.

NQ6U
12-16-2010, 08:11 PM
You'd probably enjoy it. San Francisco and New York have a very similar feeling about them. S.F. is a very compact city, the second-most densely populated large city in the United States after NYC, and land has always been at a premium there just as it is in Manhattan. As a result, they've built upwards in the same way as in NYC has.

S.F. was one of the few places that was wise to the scam of replacing electric street cars with busses. They've maintained an extensive light rail system throughout most the 20th century and, as a result, a lot of San Franciscans don't even own cars. They also have something I've not seen anywhere else--trolley busses. They're rubber-tired vehicles but they're powered from an overhead electric caternary system just like a street car. Very cool idea, much better than diesel busses, which have a hard time negotiating the hills there. Trolley busses are cheaper to implement than light rail too, since there's no trackage to install and there's less disruption to neighborhoods.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: Since San Francisco was originally populated by Yankees, native San Franciscans have an accent much like that of New Yorkers. You'll feel right at home.

N7RJD
12-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I'd love to visit Frisco one of these days. Sounds like a fascinating city.

SF is a blast. I have never lived in the city itself although I was born there. I haven't been there in many years
but still love the city and it's attractions. There are parts that will leave you believing that it is the world's largest
outdoor freak show but even such "unique" individuals really do add to the character of the city.

I am happy to be out of California but at the same time there are things I do miss about it and SF is one of them.

n2ize
12-16-2010, 09:21 PM
You'd probably enjoy it. San Francisco and New York have a very similar feeling about them. S.F. is a very compact city, the second-most densely populated large city in the United States after NYC, and land has always been at a premium there just as it is in Manhattan. As a result, they've built upwards in the same way as in NYC has.

S.F. was one of the few places that was wise to the scam of replacing electric street cars with busses. They've maintained an extensive light rail system throughout most the 20th century and, as a result, a lot of San Franciscans don't even own cars. They also have something I've not seen anywhere else--trolley busses. They're rubber-tired vehicles but they're powered from an overhead electric caternary system just like a street car. Very cool idea, much better than diesel busses, which have a hard time negotiating the hills there. Trolley busses are cheaper to implement than light rail too, since there's no trackage to install and there's less disruption to neighborhoods.

Oh, yeah, one more thing: Since San Francisco was originally populated by Yankees, native San Franciscans have an accent much like that of New Yorkers. You'll feel right at home.

I left my heart.... In San Francisco.... Sounds nice. Of course nothing can replace Brooklyn or Da Bronx but SF sounds like a cool place. Smart idea for them to have resisted the full transition to diesel buses. Unfortunately NYC had Robert Moses who was in lock step with Big Oil. Moses did some good things like building community parks and beaches but he also destroyed the Bronx and other parts of the city. Then there were those like Abraham Levitt who conned the Long island farmers out of their farms.

N7RJD
12-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Do They have Subways in California ?

Ok, I have resisted long enough so here it goes.

Yes, and Quizno's too.

WX7P
12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I used to ride BART every day from Fremont to Berkeley for two years. It went underground after the Lake Merritt station and above ground after (I think) North Berkeley.

BART was fairly new then (1976-1977) so it cheap and it didn't smell bad. It also still ran 90 mph trains until some dumbass got killed by one of the trains and they lowered the speed.

WX7P
12-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Dirty Harry took place in San Francisco, which is considered to be Northern California*. San Francisco does indeed have subways, both for BART and the Municipal Railway (known as the MUNI). Los Angeles and even San Diego have subways of a sort, but nothing as extensive as in S.F.

*Geographically speaking, San Francisco is really in central California but any native Golden State resident would consider Central California to be the area around Santa Maria. Go figure.

Officially, Southern California consists of the state's southernmost ten counties. If you look at a map, you'll see the northern boundaries of those counties from a straight east-west line that's considered the demarcation between Northern and Southern CA.

It's not geography, Carl, it's an attitude. Everything below the Santa Barbara county line is The Great Satan, as one of my ex-co-workers used to call LA. Unfortunately, The Valley and Orange County are home to some of the goofiest right wingers on the planet. Remember John Schmitz? Right wing Congressman who even got kicked out of the John Birch Society for being too extreme. Oh, and his daughter is Mary LeTourneau...

BTW, anything south of Santa Barbara that isn't San Diego, is "LA" or "The Mojave" for us northern dwellers.

I'm sure some of our Midwest friends would LOVE to be in Needles, Blythe or Indio right about now.

KA5PIU
12-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Hello.

Yes, 'Frisco and NYC, both had a "friendly" aire about them, depending on where you went to visit.
It was the first time I saw a barefoot excavator operator.
This guy was gay or trying to make a fashion statement, one or the other. ;)
Everybody was nice in Frisco but Monty, Mr. uptight Motorola man did not find it very funny.
I learned a lot about how life really works in San Francisco.
That and the hanky code and colored business cards, all kinds of chit! to a normal guy a bandanna means nothing, but to others, watch out!!

NQ6U
12-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Dave, the funny thing about that is that San Diegans hate L.A. as much as northern Californians. San Franciscans recognize this, too--ask any San Franciscan and they'll tell you that San Diego is okay. Lots of them take vacations here, while they wouldn't be caught dead in L.A.

w6tmi
12-18-2010, 01:22 AM
Hey man! I just work here!

n6hcm
12-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Dave, the funny thing about that is that San Diegans hate L.A. as much as northern Californians. San Franciscans recognize this, too--ask any San Franciscan and they'll tell you that San Diego is okay. Lots of them take vacations here, while they wouldn't be caught dead in L.A.

parts of san diego are quite walkable, and there are discernable neighborhoods.

n2ize
12-18-2010, 02:25 AM

LA is a great big freeway. Put a hundred down and buy a car. In a week or two they'll make you a star, weeks turn into years how quick they pass, and all the stars are parking cars and pumping gas. I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose. I;ve got lots of friends in San jose. Do you know the way to San Jose ?

KG4CGC
12-18-2010, 08:47 AM
LA is a great big freeway. Put a hundred down and buy a car. In a week or two they'll make you a star, weeks turn into years how quick they pass, and all the stars are parking cars and pumping gas. I'm going back to find some peace of mind in San Jose. I;ve got lots of friends in San jose. Do you know the way to San Jose ?
Nah. I was thinking Sunset Grill.

W3WN
12-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Have you ever seen Volcano?
Lethal Weapon 3?
Speed?
Punk!

NQ6U
12-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Do you know the way to San Jose ?

From the George Washington Bridge in NYC: Interstate 95 to Interstate 80. Continue west 1900 miles on I-80 to Interstate 580 just west of Fairfield, CA. I-580 south 70 miles to San Jose.

WX7P
12-18-2010, 01:55 PM

whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa wa whoa whoa wahh!

Thanks, Burt and Hal.