PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who - the "new guy"

w6tmi
12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I haven't been following it after the first couple episodes, I love doctor Who but jesus that's like the twilight emo version of the doctor, I'll probably pick up the season on dvd and see if it's just my first impression or maybe like after Tenant everyone else just sucks.

Anyone else following it? amirite?

K7SGJ
12-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Same with James Bond. No one could play him like Sean Connery, in my opinion.

w6tmi
12-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Same with James Bond. No one could play him like Sean Connery, in my opinion.

Can't really compare the 2. The Doctor is typically non violent, solves things cerebrally not explosively.

I did like the guy before, Christopher Eccleston.

KC9ECI
12-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm current on all Who. Matt Smith had a good season. Tenent was good, but he wasn't my doctor. The first episode I ever watched happened to be the very first episode ever. PBS was running it as part of a day long Dr Who pledge drive when I was about 10. I was hooked. The 4th Dr, Tom Baker was the one that I got to see the most of back then, but the few episodes of the Pertwee and Troughton years that I got to watch were always my favorites. Eccleston was fantastic and I'd have like to see him go on for a few more years in the role. When Tenent was on the way out and the search was on for a new Dr, I was hoping it was going to be Jonas Armstrong as I really enjoyed his Robin Hood series.

VE7DCW
12-16-2010, 12:39 AM
I haven't been following it after the first couple episodes, I love doctor Who but jesus that's like the twilight emo version of the doctor, I'll probably pick up the season on dvd and see if it's just my first impression or maybe like after Tenant everyone else just sucks.

Anyone else following it? amirite?

I don't think any actor filled the role of the good Doctor as good as William Hartnell and Tom Baker did...... but that was the old Dr. Who series ..... I started getting a little tired of the new Dr.Who series when Christopher Eccleston was replaced as the Doctor ....oh well :-|

W4RLR
12-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Not really a Dr. Who fan. Now Monty Python or Are You Being Served?...more my speed from the Primarily British Service.

WØTKX
12-16-2010, 12:57 AM
The older Dr. Who shows seemed to have better plot and dialogue. For some reason the newer ones never "rode up with wear". ;)

Mr. Humphries, are you free? :lol:

KC9ECI
12-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Since we've started wandering about...the 4th season of Primeval is starting up again on New Years Day. Another good series I'm looking forward to.

WØTKX
12-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Brit or US, I miss Network 23...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uGD5Lf3YXU

W3WN
12-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Brit or US, I miss Network 23...
It's a shame that most people remember Max Headroom from the Coca-Cola spots, and from the Doonsebury parodies involving Reagan.

It's actually scary to think that we're heading right towards the world in which Max "lived" in.

n3aiu
12-16-2010, 05:10 PM
My personal favorites are "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister."

WØTKX
12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Those are great! I love British Comedies.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
Rising Damp
Butterflies
Waiting for God
Dad's Army
Red Dwarf
Good Neighbors
Black Adder

Many others. Lots of them on the web. :dance:

Gee, you think I watch(ed) a lot of PBS? :mrgreen:

w6tmi
12-17-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't think any actor filled the role of the good Doctor as good as William Hartnell and Tom Baker did...... but that was the old Dr. Who series ..... I started getting a little tired of the new Dr.Who series when Christopher Eccleston was replaced as the Doctor ....oh well :-|

I think Baker was my favorite back then, I got hooked on it in my late teens/20s you could only really see it on PBS (short of traveling or being British).
I liked Eccleston, and yeah would not mind having seen him for a few more seasons. But I really liked Tenant's passion for the role.

I thought I liked Baker better, but then I watched some episodes on Netflix.. And just wasn't quite as good as I remembered. Still good though.

VE7DCW
12-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Those are great! I love British Comedies.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
Rising Damp
Butterflies
Waiting for God
Dad's Army
Red Dwarf
Good Neighbors
Black Adder

Many others. Lots of them on the web. :dance:

Gee, you think I watch(ed) a lot of PBS? :mrgreen:

All excellent Brit coms!! ......but one show conspicuous in it's absence from that list,an oldie but a goodie anyone remember Doctor in the House?... it left me stitches,so's to speak!! :lol:

N8YX
12-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Eccleston was the best one I've seen, but 'DSG liked Tennant.

I wish the Beeb would produce more Torchwood episodes...and Jekyll was a very well-done miniseries that SHOULD have gone mainstream.

KC9ECI
12-17-2010, 09:00 PM
More Torchwood is on the way, but while RTD will still be the show runner, it will be a joint production of BBC America and the Starz network.

As to other good shows out of the UK, Monarch of the Glen was good, as was Teachers, Shameless, One Foot In The Grave, To the Manor Born, Lark Rise to Candleford...and the list goes on. The recent re-imagination of Sherlock Holmes by Steven Moffat and Mark Gattis was really good as well.