PDA

View Full Version : Fixed My radiator

n2ize
12-15-2010, 09:38 PM
replaced the valve on my radiator today. Now finally I'm getting heat in this room. I spent half the day trying to get the old valve off. Different sized pipe wrenches I finally got it off with a chain wrench and a long handled pipe wrench. Putting on the new valve was fortunately much easier. A little pipe dope on the threads and some tightening and viola, it was on. I feel sorry for the poor fool who might have to change the valve again 50 or so years from now... :lol::lol::lol:

K7SGJ
12-15-2010, 10:04 PM
With my luck, that would be tomorrow.

KA5PIU
12-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Hello.

Now, for the easy way.
You will see the large nut that connects it to the radiator proper? ignore that, what you want to do is knock the valve itself loose.
That is under the assumption that you were not able the clean and repack the valve.
Amazing as this must sound, household vinegar works wonders on old valves.
Clean it with vinegar once it is all apart, what? you can not get it apart? soak it in vinegar.
After it is apart you can remove the packing and soak it in paint remover, removing the handle of course.
Once this is done you should be able to disconnect the other end of the radiator and move that pipe out of the way.
Put about a gallon of vinegar in the radiator and let it set, of course you want to plug (only) the low side.
Carefully flush the thing, 2 garden hose fittings and 2 garden hoses make the job a snap.
Once it is all clean inside you may decide to clean the outside, the things are very heavy and the bolts are rusted in place, break something and you may need to weld or replace the radiator so consider that.

NQ6U
12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah, Rudy, and then after you've gone through all that the damned valve leaks and you have to replace it anyway.

WA4TM
12-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah, Rudy, and then after you've gone through all that the damned valve leaks and you have to replace it anyway.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kb2crk
12-15-2010, 10:33 PM
as usual rudy is full of cow pie's. good job john.

n2ize
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Hello.

Now, for the easy way.
You will see the large nut that connects it to the radiator proper? ignore that, what you want to do is knock the valve itself loose.
That is under the assumption that you were not able the clean and repack the valve.
Amazing as this must sound, household vinegar works wonders on old valves.
Clean it with vinegar once it is all apart, what? you can not get it apart? soak it in vinegar.
After it is apart you can remove the packing and soak it in paint remover, removing the handle of course.
Once this is done you should be able to disconnect the other end of the radiator and move that pipe out of the way.
Put about a gallon of vinegar in the radiator and let it set, of course you want to plug (only) the low side.
Carefully flush the thing, 2 garden hose fittings and 2 garden hoses make the job a snap.
Once it is all clean inside you may decide to clean the outside, the things are very heavy and the bolts are rusted in place, break something and you may need to weld or replace the radiator so consider that.

yeah... my biggest worry was that I would pound the valve too hard and crack the pipe or the radiator itself. Cleaning and repacking might have been a good idea, I'll keep your method in mind but, since I had a new valve ready I figured I might was well replace it. In any event it's working and , the thing is blowing off heat like crazy, I can smell the hot pipes and warm paint and now it's toasty warm in here... matter of fact it's too warm, i gotta head to the thermostat and lower the heat !! :)
only regret I have now is that my arms, elbows and shoulders will probably be sore for a day or two... :)

n2ize
12-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I've been there. I tried fixing an old valve on another radiator and it leaked even worst. Ended up replacing it

n2ize
12-15-2010, 10:42 PM
as usual rudy is full of cow pie's. good job john.

Thanks.... It's a job I should have done sooner. With this sudden onset of cold weather this room was freezing for the last several days.

kb2crk
12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
i am guessing you have steam heat john?

N7RJD
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Yep, vinegar won't clean pitted seats.

My first thought was between Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Texas he doesn't seem to have lived
anywhere that has even heard of a household radiator.

NA4BH
12-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Do APU's have valves?

W5RB
12-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Do APU's have valves?

Not if they're turbine powered . They might still have petcocks , though .

NQ6U
12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Not if they're turbine powered . They might still have petcocks , though .

Don't ever say "petcock" on The Zed. You'll get the banhammer.

n2ize
12-15-2010, 11:42 PM
i am guessing you have steam heat john?

Yes... we got SSSSSSteam heat we got SSSSSSSSSteam heat... but I still need her love to take away the cold...

Sorry, I couldn't resist that song from "The Pajama game"

n2ize
12-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Do APU's have valves?

But, do Bell 47's have valves ??

n2ize
12-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Do APU's have valves?

Actually a lot of my radios have "valves" inside.

kb2crk
12-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Yes... we got SSSSSSteam heat we got SSSSSSSSSteam heat... but I still need her love to take away the cold...

Sorry, I couldn't resist that song from "The Pajama game"

just a guess based on experience...lol i worked on heating systems in NE jersey and some work in the boroughs from 86 up until 93. it is best to replace the old steam valves as pitting and rust usually have taken a serious toll on them. if you have no heat then the odds are you will break the shaft on the old valve before it will open. any oil on the valve is a big no no. good job and well done. i have run into plenty of those that needed to be gently cut off the pipes.

KA5PIU
12-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Hello.

When valve seats are worn you use this tool that screws in place of the valve stem and grind a new surface.
On some valves the seat is replaceable, a tool goes into the center and this threaded disk comes out, take that to a well stocked plumbing house and have them match it.
When I lived in Downtown San Antonio we had steam heat and central cooling provided by the power plant.
The elevators ran on 500 volts DC, much like the old trolleys.
Prior to that there was coal, and a lot of the old coal tunnels are still in place.
There are a lot of cities with a massive underground infrastructure.
To deal with the leak, most old valves had packing, a thread-like material that wraps around the valve stem.
The modern replacement is this sort of plastic ball with a hole that you put in place of packing that works wonderful!
Remember, I am a construction worker/truck driver by trade.
I have observed the other crafts and am always learning something new.
Think a 3 ton main valve simply gets replaced? of course not.
Think you just rip out the wall when your bathtub valve starts to leak? hopefully not.
I am not a plumber but do very well as a helper if need be.
It is just that I prefer to be on a machine and work alone, with others on the same team, of course.
By its very nature, heavy equipment operations requires a safe working area, or accidents can happen.
The same is true of big trucks, several blind spots.
Office politics, and horseplay, will get me fired, 100%, after I kick your arse.
Sorry but I can no longer horseplay and feel that a workplace is a place to work.
I am also far more self centered than before.
I hear a scream and will first ask myself 'How does this affect me?'.
Remember the thing about the woman who was murdered in broad daylight in New Jersey quite a few years back?
Texas is like 'Jersey now.
But, back to it, yes, I liked in the central part of San Antonio.
And I know for a fact that some woman got dragged into an alley and raped by several members of the Mexican Mafia.
My girlfriend was the one who yelled "STFU, we are trying to sleep here".
So, yes, I am totally aware of living in an old run down apartment building with steam heat and having to step over the addicts and winos.
I am fully aware of putting a car radio in a wooden box that I take out every night.
I am fully aware of the concept of always carrying both a switchblade and at least a .22, none of that stupid mace chit for me.
In this absolute poverty, in one briefcase, may be a quarter of a million dollars in cash.
Yet a 17 year old will get dragged into an alley for screwing a dealer over on a $50 tab.
Now, since we have covered where I have lived, where have you lived at?

NA4BH
12-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Hello.

When valve seats are worn you use this tool that screws in place of the valve stem and grind a new surface.
On some valves the seat is replaceable, a tool goes into the center and this threaded disk comes out, take that to a well stocked plumbing house and have them match it.
When I lived in Downtown San Antonio we had steam heat and central cooling provided by the power plant.
Prior to that there was coal, and a lot of the old coal tunnels are still in place.
To deal with the leak, most old valves had packing, a thread-like material that wraps around the valve stem.
The modern replacement is this sort of plastic ball with a hole that you put in place of packing that works wonderful!
Think you just rip out the wall when your bathtub valve starts to leak? hopefully not.
It is just that I prefer to be on a machine and work alone, with others on the same team, of course.
By its very nature, heavy equipment operations requires a safe working area, or accidents can happen.
Office politics, and horseplay, will get me fired, 100%, after I kick your arse.
Sorry but I can no longer horseplay and feel that a workplace is a place to work.
Remember the thing about the woman who was murdered in broad daylight in New Jersey quite a few years back?
And I know for a fact that some woman got dragged into an alley and raped by several members of the Mexican Mafia.
So, yes, I am totally aware of living in an old run down apartment building with steam heat and having to step over the addicts and winos.
I am fully aware of putting a car radio in a wooden box that I take out every night.
I am fully aware of the concept of always carrying both a switchblade and at least a .22, none of that stupid mace chit for me.
In this absolute poverty, in one briefcase, may be a quarter of a million dollars in cash.
Yet a 17 year old will get dragged into an alley for screwing a dealer over on a $50 tab.

WTF just happened? :slap:

kb2crk
12-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Hello.

more spewing of cow pies..... the packing is not a thread like material and never has been. i still use packing on pumps and other assorted machinery where i work now. it is easier and cheaper to replace a basic radiator valve then to try and rebuild it.
do you even know what kind of material the packing is made of?
stick with those APU's you know so well as you spew more nonsense than anything else. i would of fired you as a helper when i was plumbing. we are talking about a radiator valve here. they usually dont get much above 1 1/4 IPS in a household unit. a locked down 3 ton valve would be pulled and repaired in a shop as the machine work would be extensive. a leaking packing would be done in place usually in less than a hour barring issues with the packing block. i am tired of you bs cowpie and i think it is time to put you on ignore.

WØTKX
12-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Rudy style filibuster, to prove errr... :dunno: ;)

Old school steam heat is great, I miss it.
Forced air heat blows a lot of dust around.

NA4BH
12-16-2010, 01:31 AM
i am tired of you bs cowpie and i think it is time to put you on ignore.

Don't do it !!!! If you ever hit a LULZ/BULLSHIT deficiency, there might not be anybody close enough to help you. :rofl: :rofl:

You could go to every College in the World and still NOT get the knowledge that he spreads here. :nuts: :rofl:

kb2crk
12-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Don't do it !!!! If you ever hit a LULZ/BULLSHIT deficiency, there might not be anybody close enough to help you. :rofl: :rofl:

You could go to every College in the World and still NOT get the knowledge that he spreads here. :nuts: :rofl:

it is done. if i have a lulz deficiency i can always go to the tech forums on the zed...

N9FE
12-16-2010, 07:28 AM

Yes Sir. steam is the most bestest when very cold.

W3WN
12-16-2010, 09:06 AM
replaced the valve on my radiator today. Now finally I'm getting heat in this room. I spent half the day trying to get the old valve off. Different sized pipe wrenches I finally got it off with a chain wrench and a long handled pipe wrench. Putting on the new valve was fortunately much easier. A little pipe dope on the threads and some tightening and viola, it was on. I feel sorry for the poor fool who might have to change the valve again 50 or so years from now... :lol::lol::lol:
Oh. I thought you were talking about your car. Or your Yagi.

W3WN
12-16-2010, 09:09 AM

To prove he's full of hot air? Seems appropriate for the thread subject, at least.

KC2UGV
12-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Oh. I thought you were talking about your car. Or your Yagi.

My exact sequence of thoughts as well...

KA5PIU
12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Hello.

This is what the old style packing looks like, you can still buy it.
http://www.usseal.com/packing/valve/
http://www.johnsonpackings.com/sealing/pvpack.htm
The newer stuff.
http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/sealants/packing/gore-tex_valve_stem_packing.html
How to use it.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1638785,00.html
Sorry but if a bunch of accountants who watch a TV show can do it, a bunch of hams,,,,,oh never mind,,,,,,,, it deals with Water;););)

K7SGJ
12-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Cue the "Twilight Zone" music.

WØTKX
12-16-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwpyPOmrrY

W7XF
12-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Cowthief will just replace that radiator with one from the APU on his pink Bell 47.

n2ize
12-16-2010, 03:09 PM
just a guess based on experience...lol i worked on heating systems in NE jersey and some work in the boroughs from 86 up until 93. it is best to replace the old steam valves as pitting and rust usually have taken a serious toll on them. if you have no heat then the odds are you will break the shaft on the old valve before it will open. any oil on the valve is a big no no. good job and well done. i have run into plenty of those that needed to be gently cut off the pipes.

I think what happened was the valve was leaking like crazy so my Dad closed it but I couldn't get it to open. I generally try and leave old valves alone as I've found that once you start trying to turn them or adjust them is when you have problems. I've run into similar issues on hot water systems except on there the valve was soldered onto copper tubing. Not fun to have to bring a torch into a bedroom to replace a valve...

kb2crk
12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I think what happened was the valve was leaking like crazy so my Dad closed it but I couldn't get it to open. I generally try and leave old valves alone as I've found that once you start trying to turn them or adjust them is when you have problems. I've run into similar issues on hot water systems except on there the valve was soldered onto copper tubing. Not fun to have to bring a torch into a bedroom to replace a valve...

with a hot water system if you have a valve sweat on the pipe it is best to get a valve with unions built into it. they are more expensive but when it comes time to replace them it is allot easier. most hot water systems are looped with the only valve on the line on the supply side at the boiler and a circulator pump on the return.