PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Vikings???

W7XF
12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Minnesota Vikings being courted by groups to move the team to Los Angeles since the State of Minnesota won't play ball in regards to a new stadium (and hopefully any new stadium won't have a collapsing roof)

(Linque) And the NFL is advising the Vikings owners to carefully consider the offers! (http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/12/13/metrodome-collapse-inflates-discussion-of-vikings-move-to-la/)

NQ6U
12-14-2010, 07:19 PM
We've been covering that here (http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?14895-Surprise!!!!-It-snows-a-lot-in-Minneapolis!).

BTW, did you make it all the way home that night?

KØWVM
12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Minnesota Vikings being courted by groups to move the team to Los Angeles since the State of Minnesota won't play ball in regards to a new stadium (and hopefully any new stadium won't have a collapsing roof)

(Linque) And the NFL is advising the Vikings owners to carefully consider the offers! (http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/12/13/metrodome-collapse-inflates-discussion-of-vikings-move-to-la/)

If this happens then I will have to resort to either rooting for Pittsburgh or Carolina. I don't forsee them being called the Vikings out in LA either...

W4GPL
12-14-2010, 07:38 PM
There are three franchises being looked at by LA folks.. Carolina, Jacksonville, and Minnesota. As much as team moves frustrate me, there is something strangely bizarre about not having an NFL team in America's largest media market.

NQ6U
12-14-2010, 07:41 PM
There are three franchises being looked at by LA folks.. Carolina, Jacksonville, and Minnesota.

Four teams, actually--there's a possibility that the Chargers could move north the 100 miles to L.A.

W4GPL
12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
The other night on FNA.. Peter King seemed to think the Chargers and Bill were relatively safe where they were. Anything is possible.

NQ6U
12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
The other night on FNA.. Peter King seemed to think the Chargers and Bill were relatively safe where they were. Anything is possible.

I think it depends on what happens with the Chargers getting a stadium built here. At the moment, San Diego residents aren't very receptive to the idea of spending public money to help a billionaire sports franchise owner get even richer off the citizens. Rather justifiably, they feel they got screwed by the Padres in the deal to build Petco Park--among other things, the team management had promised that they would start fielding teams that would actually be competitive in the NL West once the new park was built, something that never happened. They also raised the prices of tickets and concessions up to absurd heights.* Chargers fans are worried about the same things happening to them.

*I used to attend at least five Padres games every season when they still played at Qualcomm (then Jack Murphy Field); it was a real bargain in those days, with tickets for the best seats in the house costing around $20 and very good ones being around $15. You can't even get into a lousy seat at Petco for less than $25 and a (barely cold) domestic beer costs in the realm of $8. I've been to a couple of games there but not in several years because it's just too expensive.

KA5PIU
12-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Hello.

San Antonio built a new multipurpose stadium with taxpayer $$$ a few years ago,
McCombs said that he would bring an NFL team to SA, the very same Vikings.
When he got done playings his own little games the NFL owners used their votes to have him expelled and he had to sell.
But not before he got a long term contract on the Alamodome.
The Spurs, the NBA thing, simply could not make any money under the old deal and so Another stadium was built, but this one runs at a profit.
When NO got flooded out they did play at the Alamodome, and in the end Tom Benson asked that they keep Mr. McCombs out of his business or he would never return.
The city is now looking at building another stadium, as Mr. McCombs has a long term contract on the old one and nobody likes him.

W3WN
12-14-2010, 09:21 PM
If this happens then I will have to resort to either rooting for Pittsburgh or Carolina. I don't forsee them being called the Vikings out in LA either...

Steelers Nation is open to all. Just wear Black & Gold and wave Myron's official towel around; if you can't find one, let me know, I can get it for you wholesale...

Unless you live in Cleveland, Baltimore, or Cincinnatti. (Converts are still welcome, but they must be well hidden to prevent persecution from the authorities as heretics :evil: )

W3WN
12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I think it depends on what happens with the Chargers getting a stadium built here. At the moment, San Diego residents aren't very receptive to the idea of spending public money to help a billionaire sports franchise owner get even richer off the citizens. Rather justifiably, they feel they got screwed by the Padres in the deal to build Petco Park--among other things, the team management had promised that they would start fielding teams that would actually be competitive in the NL West once the new park was built, something that never happened. They also raised the prices of tickets and concessions up to absurd heights.* Chargers fans are worried about the same things happening to them.
< snip >
They should be suspicious. The Pirates ownership group made the same promises to get PNC Park built. They didn't keep their word, needless to say. The current ownership (a few less partners, the public face of the previous group pushed out, and the main partner owns 75% of the team) now says that THEY weren't the ones that made that promise...

OTOH, the Rooneys never made a promise like that regarding the Steelers to get Heinz Field built. But then, they didn't have to.

N7RJD
12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Probably no chance we can talk them into taking the Broncos.

w6tmi
12-15-2010, 02:12 AM
There are three franchises being looked at by LA folks.. Carolina, Jacksonville, and Minnesota. As much as team moves frustrate me, there is something strangely bizarre about not having an NFL team in America's largest media market.

Totally agree.

But I love it, bad enough the riots when the lakers win, now we'll have to put up with that shit with a FB team.
And by rioting I'm talking about the racket and noise people inside here make, not the car tipping.