PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Hams

kd8dey
12-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I knew Hams had a reputation for being cheap but Jeebus.

Posted my Astron up for sale on the local Craigslist for cash and the only person that has responded was a ham wanting to trade either for a "Like new" electric chain saw OR for a 200w home stereo (Maybe throw in some speakers).

So How cheap are we? Maybe we should start a game to find out ??!!

40 questions "cheap ham" style

questions spanning anywhere from

"If you were operating DX trying to grab that elusive contact and your fuse blows (no replacement handy) would you

Wrap the fuse with the foil from your cigarette pack and keep operating
or
Run out and go get a pack of fuses?

TO

You find it medically necessary to get circumcised

Would you go to a Doctor or a Mohel? :)

NA4BH
12-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Question.. Can I use the fuse for the circumcision?

kd8dey
12-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Question.. Can I use the fuse for the circumcision?

Is the fuse for your electric turkey knife?

NA4BH
12-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Which one. The single blade oscillating or the dual blade reciprocating? Or does that make a difference? ;)

NQ6U
12-14-2010, 12:40 AM
You want a cheap ham? Here's a cheap ham for ya--$1.99 at Walgreens:

http://img2.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/07127000757_220x220_a.jpg

WV6Z
12-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Oooo, looks like the circumcision went a bit bad for that ham........ Boneless, eh wot?

NQ6U
12-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Oooo, looks like the circumcision went a bit bad for that ham........ Boneless, eh wot?

Boneless and cooked. Poor thing...

But, hey, he's got gelatin added and he's Danish, so it's not all bad.

K7SGJ
12-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Was the fuse the only thing blown?

kd8dey
12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Was the fuse the only thing blown?

I would have to ask him or his wife :)

kd8dey
12-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Which one. The single blade oscillating or the dual blade reciprocating? Or does that make a difference? ;)

The Dual blade would probably be faster (less pain) and produce a cleaner cut. You would also save money by not going out and buying the Buddy Hackett self circumcision kit.

kd8dey
12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
You want a cheap ham? Here's a cheap ham for ya--$1.99 at Walgreens:

http://img2.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/07127000757_220x220_a.jpg

I have bought those before to use in a pot of beans. Good stuff there.

ki4itv
12-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Cheap here.
Haven't bought a single ham related item since Feb. 2006.

Ummm... I have actually rolled up a foil hotdog wrapper and stuck it the back of one o' deez. (a Peavey CS-800) :oops:
'cause they're bulletproof and everyone knows the show must go on.

W5RB
12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Cheap here.
Haven't bought a single ham related item since Feb. 2006.

Ummm... I have actually rolled up a foil hotdog wrapper and stuck it the back of one o' deez. (a Peavey CS-800) :oops:
'cause they're bulletproof and everyone knows the show must go on.

Jack Sondermeyer designs good amps . He was at RCA before he came to Peavey , many years ago .

W2NAP
12-14-2010, 01:29 PM
its not just hams that are cheep. its alot of people. i got the server listen on clist, had a few people e-mail me asking if i want there junk in trade (even tho i have listed cash only)

NA4BH
12-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Jack Sondermeyer designs good amps . He was at RCA before he came to Peavey , many years ago .

Isn't there a Peavey factory just north of you?

kb2vxa
12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
http://www.cheapham.com/

NQ6U
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.cheapham.com/

Good prices. Have you ever bought anything from them?

KC2UGV
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM

"If you were operating DX trying to grab that elusive contact and your fuse blows (no replacement handy) would you

or

I would solder a jumper over the fuse.

TO

A Mohel. And, Elaine would find one for me.

W4RLR
12-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Which one. The single blade oscillating or the dual blade reciprocating? Or does that make a difference? ;)Nah, do the job with pinking shears. My father said such a circumcision was known as a "Fancy Dan".

kb2crk
12-15-2010, 03:53 AM
I knew Hams had a reputation for being cheap but Jeebus.

Posted my Astron up for sale on the local Craigslist for cash and the only person that has responded was a ham wanting to trade either for a "Like new" electric chain saw OR for a 200w home stereo (Maybe throw in some speakers).

So How cheap are we? Maybe we should start a game to find out ??!!

or

TO

take the handy soldering iron and bypass the fuse holder of course....

W2NAP
12-16-2010, 07:01 AM
im still waiting on that 706MK2G for $50.

yes im that cheep.... er poor.

kb2crk
12-16-2010, 07:57 AM
im still waiting on that 706MK2G for $50.

yes im that cheep.... er poor.

i was waiting for one in the 20 dollar range.
the 2 meter radio in my shack was built from the parts box. the maxtrac parts box...lol

W3WN
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM
http://www.cheapham.com/Good prices. Have you ever bought anything from them?
No, but they used to send us a lot of tsotchkes for the hamfest -- pens, bags, and such.

They also used to beg for free advertising in the club newsletter. However, we don't sell advertising space in the newsletter, so no soap, radio.

NQ6U
12-16-2010, 03:45 PM
No, but they used to send us a lot of tsotchkes for the hamfest -- pens, bags, and such.

They also used to beg for free advertising in the club newsletter. However, we don't sell advertising space in the newsletter, so no soap, radio.

I was just wondering about how good an outfit they are. If I buy from HRO, for instance, I know that if I have a problem the guys at the local store will take care of me. That's worth a few extra bucks. Will cheapham.com do the same?

K7SGJ
12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I was just wondering about how good an outfit they are. If I buy from HRO, for instance, I know that if I have a problem the guys at the local store will take care of me. That's worth a few extra bucks. Will cheapham.com do the same?

Kinda. Actually a guy from Chi town will come take care of you, Vinny I think it is.

W3WN
12-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Couldn't tell you. I usually deal with R&L; in fact, the club just bought $1600 in hamfest prizes from them (we're going to have an HF amp as 1st prize) and they treat us pretty well.

I've had good success in the past with Gigaparts -- for computer stuff, ironically, even though they're also a ham store & run by hams.

Just never had a good reason to use CheapHams.

NQ6U
12-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Couldn't tell you. I usually deal with R&L; in fact, the club just bought $1600 in hamfest prizes from them (we're going to have an HF amp as 1st prize) and they treat us pretty well.

I've had good success in the past with Gigaparts -- for computer stuff, ironically, even though they're also a ham store & run by hams.

Just never had a good reason to use CheapHams.

Gigaparts has great prices on a lot of stuff. I bought an MFJ-259B antenna analyzer there new for less that what they were selling for used on eBay.