PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!!!! It snows a lot in Minneapolis!

W1GUH
12-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Someone shoud've told that to the chief architect/engineer of the Metrodome.

Crews are planning to inspect the Metrodome in Minneapolis after its fabric roof collapsed in a storm that dropped 17 inches of snow on the Twin Cities.

Officials with the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission expect to learn Monday afternoon how long it will take to get the Metrodome open for business.

The original manufacturer and roof installer, Birdair Inc. of Amherst, N.Y., is scheduled to inspect the damage and devise a plan to fix the roof, which collapsed early Sunday.

The weight tore three holes in the dome's Teflon roof and dumped a huge pile of snow on the Minnesota Vikings' playing field.

Commission chairman Roy Terwilliger says it's the fourth roof collapse since the stadium opened nearly 30 years ago, all caused by heavy snow.

Linky (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Holes-collapsed-Metrodome-roof-can-seen-Minneapolis-Sunday-Dec-12/photo//101212/483/urn_publicid_ap_org_a9f881352f99477bb6d4b832c27e26 77//s:/ap/20101213/ap_on_sp_ot/us_winter_storm_metrodome_collapse)

17 inches brings down the roof? Not only that, but..."it's the fourth roof collapse since the stadium opened nearly 30 years ago, all caused by heavy snow."

Y'think they'll ever figure out that it wasn't designed properly for the climate?

Duh!!!

PA5COR
12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I guess not all things slide off Teflon that easy..... :roll::lol:

kb2crk
12-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I guess not all things slide off Teflon that easy..... :roll::lol:

it falls in every time the new roof warrantee runs out....lol

KA5PIU
12-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Hello.

You would think they would have a way of dealing with it.
Aircraft deicing equipment might work but would require a bit of a redesign.
But, 17 inches of snow is a massive amount of weight.
Remember that this roof does not inflate to a dome but is somewhat flat, something else to look into.

W4GPL
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
17 inches brings down the roof? Not only that, but..."it's the fourth roof collapse since the stadium opened nearly 30 years ago, all caused by heavy snow.":lol: I found this fact rather stunning too. They're lucky no one has been hurt during an event...

The Vikings have been trying for several years now to get a new stadium built with tax payer monies. I suggest the Mayor of Minneapolis show them their new outdoor football stadium. :P

KC2UGV
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
:lol: I found this fact rather stunning too. They're lucky no one has been hurt during an event...

The Vikings have been trying for several years now to get a new stadium built with tax payer monies. I suggest the Mayor of Minneapolis show them their new outdoor football stadium. :P

This fact here is the key: They are trying to get a new stadium at taxpayers expense. I know one of the guys going down to inspect the roof, and he suspects it was not maintained properly, but held short of saying purposefully.

It was designed to hold up to Buffalo winters...

W4GPL
12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Wouldn't shocked me.

Though I don't know who makes up the Minnesota ownership these days, but I'd think they'd be much happier moving their team to LA. Maybe there's still a tad bit of loyalty left in this world. :dunno:

KA5PIU
12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
This fact here is the key: They are trying to get a new stadium at taxpayers expense. I know one of the guys going down to inspect the roof, and he suspects it was not maintained properly, but held short of saying purposefully.

Hello.

It is now known that the dome was not fully inflated, what I saw was video of it not fully inflated.
Fully inflating it would have caused the snow to simply slide off.

W2NAP
12-13-2010, 04:18 PM
IMO get rid of the roof, football should be played OUTSIDE anyway

ice bowl anyone?

WØTKX
12-13-2010, 05:10 PM
The "Hump" turns into a cereal bowl sometimes. It's actually designed to handle deflation.

The airlocks with positive air pressure are amusing, the wind will blow yer hat off.

W1GUH
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
IMO get rid of the roof, football should be played OUTSIDE anyway

ice bowl anyone?

Yep!!!!!

I'm hoping for a blizzard when the Super Bowl's in NJ.

ab1ga
12-13-2010, 09:37 PM

I wonder if that fabric has to be replaced regularly to avoid unacceptable levels of UV damage, and whether that was done promptly.

W2NAP
12-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Yep!!!!!

I'm hoping for a blizzard when the Super Bowl's in NJ.

if the bowl was played in a blizzard, id watch it no matter who was playing.

kb2crk
12-14-2010, 06:16 PM
football belongs in the snow.

NQ6U
12-14-2010, 06:26 PM
The best football games to watch on TV are the ones where it's snowing so hard you can't even see what's going on on the field. Then you can just sit back and proceed to get drunk with your buddies without being bothered.

KØWVM
12-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Looks like they may have to play at the U of Minny Gopher stadium against Chicago. Lambeau field west anyone?

N9FE
12-15-2010, 05:48 AM
About time the pussy's in purple play outside like men anyway.

KC2UGV
12-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I wonder if that fabric has to be replaced regularly to avoid unacceptable levels of UV damage, and whether that was done promptly.

Not sure. Next time I talk with my buddy (When he's done there), I'll ping him.

football belongs in the snow.

My sentiments exactly :)