PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Christmas Present

n2ize
12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Would be a time machine. So I could go back to a time when there were no home computers, no Internet, no networking, no cell phones, no modern technology. Yeah it would make things harder figuring things out on paper, using slide rules, doing things the old way etc. But just think how much other time it would free up. Nobody would be asking me questions day in and day out like "how do I do this on the computer", "how do I get this to work", "we have some work to do", etc. So much time for other more interesting things.

kb2crk
12-11-2010, 07:26 PM
why not go back far enough to need an abacus?
slide rule is modern technology.....lol

ki4itv
12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
No, No, No...you take some critical tools back with you, and come back to a wealthy future.;)

NQ6U
12-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Hell, why not just go back to at time before indoor plumbing?

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Why not just take out key figures in history? Really screw up the timeline. Stalin and Hitler and a few others would be on my list but you have to take them out at the right time. While it is clear that some other tyrant could possibly fill in the gap and either be better or worse, you can just keep at it until everything is right.
I would be the best person to make those decsions too.

suddenseer
12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Certain religious groups want to take us back to perceived better day. Some want the 19th. century, Others want 800 CE. I would rather change my location, than time.

N2NH
12-12-2010, 10:42 AM
In Venture 1, I'll take a laptop filled with the Financial Times, Wall St. Journal and New York Times back to 1960. Invest heavily, be rich, and do it again (Venture 2), but living in another city and being careful not to bump into myself. Nothing like polluting the time line. Put money made in Venture 1 into proven trust funds and mac funds as well as Fortune 100 companies. And double up on investments during Venture 2. Be good for the economy, the Amerkun thing to do and also be a good little capitalist.

w2amr
12-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Would be a time machine. So I could go back to a time when there were no home computers, no Internet, no networking, no cell phones, no modern technology. Yeah it would make things harder figuring things out on paper, using slide rules, doing things the old way etc. But just think how much other time it would free up. Nobody would be asking me questions day in and day out like "how do I do this on the computer", "how do I get this to work", "we have some work to do", etc. So much time for other more interesting things.Set yer wayback to 1900, you won't find any modern technology there. Enjoy what you can, You'll probably be dead in your early 40's.

W1GUH
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I'll set my time machine (that is, when I've gotten the best on one eBay) way, WAY back to the "golden" age of earth. Back when the gods were actually here and nurturing us and life was just wonderful!!!!!

Three or four hundred thousand years ago would be just about right!

KA5PIU
12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Hello.

If time travel were the option I would invest in stocks, of course.
But I would want to meet with myself.
Set up the stocks 20 years before birth and around age 20 meet.
In the mean time I would set up another time machine at that time point.
Set up clear time and place points and have a way to get back.
In this matter I have a way to escape death from an accident or something, a way back.
Next, travel way into the future and back by proxy, setting up a device that records what has happened along the way and returns.
I am looking for an era where modern medical treatment is just that.
Get myself fixed up and return.
By meeting with myself every few years I can renew myself, in effect live on forever, and every cycle be better than the first.
The goal is to have at least 3 instances of me at any one time, totally eliminating the chance that I get eliminated.
If I can regenerate at some time in the future I would do that also.
The goal being to have 3 happy healthy me.

W5GA
12-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Hell, why not just go back to at time before indoor plumbing?
If I'm not mistaken, some parts of N/S Carolina are STILL that way.

W5GA
12-13-2010, 05:55 PM
In Venture 1, I'll take a laptop filled with the Financial Times, Wall St. Journal and New York Times back to 1960. Invest heavily, be rich, and do it again (Venture 2), but living in another city and being careful not to bump into myself. Nothing like polluting the time line. Put money made in Venture 1 into proven trust funds and mac funds as well as Fortune 100 companies. And double up on investments during Venture 2. Be good for the economy, the Amerkun thing to do and also be a good little capitalist.
Don't forget to divert to Europe about 1930 or so and shoot Hitler.

NQ6U
12-13-2010, 06:15 PM
If I'm not mistaken, some parts of N/S Carolina are STILL that way.

No doubt. It's unlikely, however, that many parts of Yonkers still are. ;)

Don't forget to divert to Europe about 1930 or so and shoot Hitler.

Better, I think, to go back to The Great War and get him early, before he's had a chance to develop his wacked-out ideology and spread it around. By 1930, he already had a substantial following and it might have been too late for his death to make a difference.