PDA

View Full Version : My kids will have a merry Christmas afterall.

al2n
12-11-2010, 01:38 PM
This was going to be a lean Christmas, but I have managed to trade my way into something the kids have been wanting.

I bought three slow blowers this past summer at auction and just traded one of them for a play station 3. It is a used model 80gb, but in good shape and the kids are cool with used gear. Raising them around auctions has shown them the benefits of buying used.

I paid 10 bucks each for the snow blowers. Kept one, sold one last month and now traded this one for the PS3. No one wants to buy the things in the summer, but they will pay top dollar for them once the white stuff hits the ground.

Now to buy some games and another controller. The kids are not expecting much this year, so the look on their faces will be great. Going to put it in an old crock pot box for added effect.

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Sounds like a plan. Did you ever find a buyer for Minerva?

NQ6U
12-11-2010, 01:48 PM
"¿Snow blower?" ¿Que es "snow blower"?

al2n
12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a plan. Did you ever find a buyer for Minerva?

Nope. I may have to keep it. Will be rough, but I think I can deal with it. ;)

kb2crk
12-11-2010, 01:56 PM
that is the way to do it. buy cheap sell high.... i am hoping to do that the other way around with lawnmowers. i have 3 snappers that need some work that i can do over the winter and hopefully i will sell them come spring.

al2n
12-11-2010, 01:58 PM
that is the way to do it. buy cheap sell high.... i am hoping to do that the other way around with lawnmowers. i have 3 snappers that need some work that i can do over the winter and hopefully i will sell them come spring.

Living down south you are in auction heaven. Should be able to find some sweet deals to turn for a profit.

NQ6U
12-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I still want a diesel lawn mower. Does anyone make one?

al2n
12-11-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.clima.net.cn/Files/dengcong/Cage/url.jpg
I still want a diesel lawn mower. Does anyone make one?

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Living down south you are in auction heaven. Should be able to find some sweet deals to turn for a profit.
Not so fast there, I've watched flea market and garage sale prices jump through the roof with all these picker and auction shows on television now. Everybody thinks they're sitting on a million dollar piece of Americana! LOL!
I said, "No sir. That actually is junk."

kb2crk
12-11-2010, 02:08 PM
charles is right on the money there. everyone thinks the have gold. i would fix the one snapper for my self but when the 16 yo daughter blew the motor it was cheaper to buy my neighbors old cub cadet.

ki4itv
12-11-2010, 02:10 PM
:agree:
Man, I know that's a relief...know the feeling well and love it when things come together like that.

You're not alone, its been about three rough years in a row for us. The construction industry around Richmond tanked pretty hard early on. This reality is exaggerated because our school district is a fairly affluent area, which makes it particularly hard on the kids.

I personally know people who really don't 'get' how bad it is because their jobs insulate them from any short term impact, in fact they'll never even feel it unless a pink slip slaps them in the face...and that's probably prevalent across the nation. There are probably relatively few who really feel how bad it has become.

I hope you guys have the best'sss Christmas ever! :yes:

al2n
12-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Not so fast there, I've watched flea market and garage sale prices jump through the roof with all these picker and auction shows on television now. Everybody thinks they're sitting on a million dollar piece of Americana! LOL!
I said, "No sir. That actually is junk."

I hear you there.

Attendance at our storage auctions has tripled since Auction Hunters and Storage Wars have been on the air. Folks show up expecting to find treasure and get bummed out after the first few units. What those shows do not tell you is that you have to buy a lot of storage units in order to find the good stuff. Our regular customers are getting pissed though. All these auction newbies are driving up the prices. Good for us and the storage company, bad for the local thrift store owner who is used to paying next to nothing for units.

I have seen some really nice stuff come out of storage though. Buddy of mine bought a unit for 20 bucks a couple years ago. It just had a few boxes in it and he was in a gambling mood. All the boxes had clothing in them except for the last one which had two handguns and a three foot long walrus tusk in it. He sold the tusk to a native artist for $500 and kept the guns. Not bad for 20 bucks.

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 02:14 PM
80/20 rule. 80% of the stuff you buy from units will be a bust so you have to make it up on the 20% treasure. That was the first words out of my neighbors mouth about 3 years ago. He does spend many early mornings either buying or peddling.

al2n
12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
:agree:
Man, I know that's a relief...know the feeling well and love it when things come together like that.

You're not alone, its been about three rough years in a row for us. The construction industry around Richmond tanked pretty hard early on. This reality is exaggerated because our school district is a fairly affluent area, which makes it particularly hard on the kids.

I personally know people who really don't 'get' how bad it is because their jobs insulate them from any short term impact, in fact they'll never even feel it unless a pink slip slaps them in the face...and that's probably prevalent across the nation. There are probably relatively few who really feel how bad it has become.

I hope you guys have the best'sss Christmas ever! :yes:

My ill fortune is due to fraud, not the job market.

My checking account was compromised a couple months ago and I lost a bunch of cash before we could shut down the account. Got some of it back, but it took awhile and I will probably never get it all back. Been a pain in the rear opening a new account and changing all my auto payments and such. Late fees and such have really taken a bite out of the pocketbook. Most places have been understanding and have refunded any fees, but some are being not so nice and could care less if you were the victim of fraud, they just want their money and they want it now.

al2n
12-11-2010, 02:22 PM
80/20 rule. 80% of the stuff you buy from units will be a bust so you have to make it up on the 20% treasure. That was the first words out of my neighbors mouth about 3 years ago. He does spend many early mornings either buying or peddling.

I would agree with that. I can make 4-10 times my money with a few items I buy in lots and the rest of the stuff we sell at yard sales or we donate it. The homeless shelter loves all the coats and blankets we give them and we can make 400-600 bucks on a weekend yard sale with the leftovers. Now that we are living in a bigger place we are going to get back into the yard sale action this summer.

KU0DM
12-11-2010, 02:48 PM
A snow blower in Alaska? Sounds futile. PS3 is fun times, good snag!

al2n
12-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Can you suggest some games?

My daughter likes RPG's and sword fighting type stuff. I enjoy a good shooter or air combat game.

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I liked D00M in its original flavors. About 5 years ago I picked up an XB0X and got the D00M CD and I really hated having to navigate through the storyline. WTF? Seriously, check in to a base or hotel, find your room, talk to a bunch of superfluous characters etc, adnauseum.
I took the game back and asked the guy when the game actually began and he said, "You didn't like the story? That's a big part of it now."
Just drop me in a hot zone so I can start killing mutants dammitt! The FPS games just ain't what they used to be. Burnout 3 became my favorite racing game. It combined racing and a fight-like scenario of knocking other cars off the road and causing them to have spectacular crashes like in Road Rash. The incredible physics of the game was a plus+++. You had to train yourself to watch the center of the screen so that you would be able to see far enough ahead to avoid collisions. The speed and the rush were just unbelievable.

Almost as good as the time I was playing Castle Wolfenstein (dating myself eh) and I set up the home speakers on both sides of myself. These were the large 3 way ported home speakers. The sound card was piped into the old Kenwood KA-7100 and the game sound effects did play in stereo to give you some audio orientation of your surroundings. The band Korn was still new at the time and I had their first CD mixed in with Castle Wolfenstein sound and I was set. Suddenly, this cold blast came through. I was shot! The air blasting through the speaker ports hit the back of my neck from the right side. The screen went red and then faded to black. The hair stood up on the back of my neck it was so eerie! The hard core music, the game EFX, everything combined really put you into another, subreality.

Don't play games anymore. Ham Radio and Internet is serious business, seriously.

al2n
12-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I liked D00M in its original flavors. About 5 years ago I picked up an XB0X and got the D00M CD and I really hated having to navigate through the storyline. WTF? Seriously, check in to a base or hotel, find your room, talk to a bunch of superfluous characters etc, adnauseum.
I took the game back and asked the guy when the game actually began and he said, "You didn't like the story? That's a big part of it now."
Just drop me in a hot zone so I can start killing mutants dammitt! The FPS games just ain't what they used to be. Burnout 3 became my favorite racing game. It combined racing and a fight-like scenario of knocking other cars off the road and causing them to have spectacular crashes like in Road Rash. The incredible physics of the game was a plus+++. You had to train yourself to watch the center of the screen so that you would be able to see far enough ahead to avoid collisions. The speed and the rush were just unbelievable.

Almost as good as the time I was playing Castle Wolfenstein (dating myself eh) and I set up the home speakers on both sides of myself. These were the large 3 way ported home speakers. The sound card was piped into the old Kenwood KA-7100 and the game sound effects did play in stereo to give you some audio orientation of your surroundings. The band Korn was still new at the time and I had their first CD mixed in with Castle Wolfenstein sound and I was set. Suddenly, this cold blast came through. I was shot! The air blasting through the speaker ports hit the back of my neck from the right side. The screen went red and then faded to black. The hair stood up on the back of my neck it was so eerie! The hard core music, the game EFX, everything combined really put you into another, subreality.

Don't play games anymore. Ham Radio and Internet is serious business, seriously.

I hear that from the young folks at work about the storylines in games. Seems the game is part movie, part game these days. I remember playing DOOM and Duke Nukem with my brother in law. Was fun dropping some charges and hiding behind a corner waiting for him to come through the door. Poor guy fell for it every time.

There is a new version of Wolfenstein out there. I remember that one being fun to play.

NQ6U
12-11-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.clima.net.cn/Files/dengcong/Cage/url.jpg

Not big enough--I got about 800 square feet of lawn. Funny thing is, I only got about 1100 square feet of house.

kb2crk
12-11-2010, 05:09 PM
kuboto and john deere have small diesel mowers as do some others.

KC2UGV
12-11-2010, 05:22 PM
My ill fortune is due to fraud, not the job market.

My checking account was compromised a couple months ago and I lost a bunch of cash before we could shut down the account. Got some of it back, but it took awhile and I will probably never get it all back. Been a pain in the rear opening a new account and changing all my auto payments and such. Late fees and such have really taken a bite out of the pocketbook. Most places have been understanding and have refunded any fees, but some are being not so nice and could care less if you were the victim of fraud, they just want their money and they want it now.

Sorry to hear about that, but I am glad the kidses will be having a good christmas, nonetheless. Your bank didn't take care of it for you?

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Not big enough--I got about 800 square feet of lawn. Funny thing is, I only got about 1100 square feet of house.
Dang Son! How much ass hair do you have?
Wait! Don't answer that!

al2n
12-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Sorry to hear about that, but I am glad the kidses will be having a good christmas, nonetheless. Your bank didn't take care of it for you?

They refunded all the NSF fees I incurred and reversed what ACH transfers they could. But some of it they could not reverse for one reason or another.

What happened is that a small loan I took out was sold to an outfit based overseas. Those bozo's started to rape the accounts of anyone they could using various names and such. They would suck funds into one account, then close it before anyone could take the money back. They somehow converted my short term loan they got hold of into a payday advance without my knowledge and started to hit me with fees and renewals rather than paying my loan. When I got wise to them and called them on it they went after my account like it was theirs.

The group that got hold of my account info is called Northway Financial, at least that is the name they are using for the moment. They are based out of Malta and to my knowledge are not licensed to do business in any state in this country. I called the state attorney general and they have had several complaints about these guys doing the same thing to others.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/creditors-information/northway-financial.html

kb2crk
12-11-2010, 05:45 PM
They refunded all the NSF fees I incurred and reversed what ACH transfers they could. But some of it they could not reverse for one reason or another.

What happened is that a small loan I took out was sold to an outfit based overseas. Those bozo's started to rape the accounts of anyone they could using various names and such. They would suck funds into one account, then close it before anyone could take the money back. They somehow converted my short term loan they got hold of into a payday advance without my knowledge and started to hit me with fees and renewals rather than paying my loan. When I got wise to them and called them on it they went after my account like it was theirs.

The group that got hold of my account info is called Northway Financial, at least that is the name they are using for the moment. They are based out of Malta and to my knowledge are not licensed to do business in any state in this country. I called the state attorney general and they have had several complaints about these guys doing the same thing to others.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/creditors-information/northway-financial.html

i am sorry to hear about that crap. i hope that you get it all straightened out. but you did score the PS3. we still have the ps2 here and i am happy the kids dont use it that much. makes it easy to say what do you want another system for when you dont use the one you have...lol

KC2UGV
12-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Damn man... I'm sorry to hear about the crap you went through there...

al2n
12-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Been looking at the PS3 and it is a pretty neat console. Games, DVD, BluRay, Netflix, and who knows what else is available through this thing. It could replace my Blu Ray player in the living room and I could move it into our room. Would be nice to get Netflix streaming on the TV there.

All we have now is a Wii which is fun to use, but does not offer all the bells and whistles the PS3 does. My oldest is kinda outgrowing the Wii system. Seems to be geared more for the younger kids.

al2n
12-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Damn man... I'm sorry to hear about the crap you went through there...

What was funny was when they tried to call me demanding money.

Some guy with a very thick foreign accent told me he was calling from the law firm about the lawsuit against me.

When I asked what law firm, he just said "We are callling from the law firm.".

When I asked what this was about, he told me is was about my payday advance. I then informed him that according to my state attorney general, his company was not licensed to do business in my state and I had no financial liability to them whatsoever.

He hung up on me and I have not heard from them since.