PDA

View Full Version : So the Nazi washer lives...... again!

WV6Z
12-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Our Bosch washer decided it was going on hiatus since the week of Thanksgiving. It has apparently returned.....

The factory authorized service tech visited us ........ twice ........ before the holiday. The second time, via telephone link with their tech support, he re-confirmed that the motor control board had gone tits up without a doubt and he ordered a replacement board.

The board is on back order and no guesstimation as to the possibility of when it may arrive.

Just for shits and giggles, I plugged the thing back in yesterday and it did an empty cold cycle flawlessly. I immediately followed with two rather healthy loads of clothes, both of these cycles were flawless too.

I guess my question to the group is, should I call the the service center and let them know that the $200 to $300 board + $75 service call is not necessary at this time, or, after three weeks of not hearing a peep out of these guys, should I just wait for them to show up at the door with the replacement part and when the guys announces he is here to replace the motor control board in our washer, should I just ask him, "Why?".

NA4BH
12-10-2010, 09:39 AM
If it is under warranty or service contract, let him replace it. The boards are on backorder for a reason. They are crap and everybody that has the washer needs one. Go for the new board.

kf0rt
12-10-2010, 09:49 AM
See if they'll give you the board for "local stock."

W3MIV
12-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Why would anyone want to wash a Bosch? Perhaps he meant Boche.

KA5PIU
12-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Hello.

The old Speed Queen quit, idler pulley broke.
I never use the wringer arm. ;)
Yes, I have a modern Washer and dryer but I still have a washboard!
This Speed Queen was set up for a gasoline engine from the factory and had an electric motor (AC/DC Universal) added later.
I did a bit of minor rewiring and got the engine running, now, if need be, I can produce electricity while I wash. ;)
This is, of course, 117 volts of DC.
In order to get the field going one needs to provide an initial DC charge.
A diode set in the field works fine but be careful, now when fed from AC the 2 poles alternate from ground to hot 30 times a second.
If the motor is not grounded to the frame, and there is no reason for it to be, everything is fine.
Add an automotive alternator and you have a ready supply of 12 volts

kc7jty
12-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Aren't Bosch washers like $700/800 a pop? Probably a front loader. If it's not performing 100% it's not your fault. Tell them what's going on, WHEN THEY SHOW UP.

NQ6U
12-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Hello.

The old Speed Queen quit, idler pulley broke.
I never use the wringer arm. ;)
Yes, I have a modern Washer and dryer but I still have a washboard!

Rudy, I would have expected you to home-brew your own washing machine out of old Stromberg-Carlson radio parts and a VW transmission, powered by that Bell 47 APU motor you found online.

W3WN
12-10-2010, 01:50 PM
If it's under warranty? Let 'em do it.

If it's not? Well, you have an intermittant. At some point, it will fail again. It may or may not come back.

Offhand, I'd bite the bullet and let them do it -- once the part shows up.

KG4CGC
12-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Front loaders are supposed to be all that and a bag of chips but apparently it's what they don't tell you that does them in. Things like using special detergent designated for that type of washer. Apparently the regular stuff clogs the filters and this screws with the sensors and causes all manner of electronic malady.
I considered getting a pair a few years ago but being the backwater riff raff that i am and being uneducated in the ways of front loading machines, I opted for a regular old regular box unit.
I know that Bosch is a German name but I will go out on a limb and ask if these machines were built in China?
A few years ago, (about 8 0r so) a friend and his wife remodeled their kitchen and of course, one of the things was to get all new appliances. They got Top of The Line Whirlpool appliances for the kitchen and laundry. having had very good luck myself with Whirlpool I thought they did well. Well apparently even their high end line is manufactured as poorly as anything thing else that comes out of the rebadging factory. The refrigerator first had a board go out, then the compressor fittings. While the service tech was there he left behind a new compressor. He told them that this would be the next thing that would need to be replaced and to go ahead and make arrangements to get a back up fridge for the garage or get a friend to clear out some room for their perishables when the time comes. The compressor did eventually go out. By then it was out of warantee so he replaced the compressor himself and his father in law was an HVAC man so he came over and charged up the system.

Just a little story. No real climax to it unless you fast forward about 6 more years and after being a loyal husband and attentive father for 10 years, his pretty little wifey dumps him for a guy 12 years his junior.

As for me, just lamenting the current business model in play these days.

K7SGJ
12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
If in warranty let them put in all the parts they want. If not, throw his ass in the washer until his is as "agitated" as you are.

KA5PIU
12-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Hello.

Everything now is built to last,,,,until the warranty runs out!!!!;)
I started running cheap as I could not afford to splurge and was single anyway.
My first washer was a washboard, later got a stainless steel drum in the back of the work truck, wash while driving program. ;)
When the wringer washer came available I went for it, quicker and left room in the truck.
Now, guess what? I still have the washboard and the drum, and the wringer washer.
I really like construction work and this means living on a pad at some travel park at times.
Think modern washing machines have trouble now?
Move one every 3 months in a trailer and wash very dirty clothes in them, and as far as special soap? I have used dishwashing liquid, car wash soap, shredded soap bar, you name it I have tried it and somehow made it work.
A fancy front loader would just flat out die!
Electronics?
Electrical power can be anywhere from 85 to 160 volts for 110 nominal and 220 may not even be available.

VK3ZL
12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
G'day all....We purchased a Bosch Max Classic front loader about 6 months ago....Jeannie uses it about 2 times a week..To date it operates faultlessly...Weighs a ton and when it is in the spin cycle it sounds like an F16 taking off..:wtf:.I believe it has a huge block of concrete under the top cover to hold it down while it is spin drying...Cost was around $600 which is reasonably cheap compared to other brand machines...We also brought the matching tumble dryer....So far it hasn't caught fire but I must say it uses heaps of power....

Beats boiling up the old wood fired copper and boiling the crap out of the clothes though...

Bob..VK3ZL..

Just thought you may enjoy a few pics of Jeannies Epiphyllums which are out in full bloom at present...We have over 150 variety's..

kb2crk
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
well tom if they are still under warrantee let them fix it. if it is not let it run. you got one hell of a deal on that set so you would not be hurt to bad. if the new board is guaranteed for a decent leanth of time then maybe it is worth replacing

WV6Z
12-11-2010, 01:06 AM
I will go out on a limb and ask if these machines were built in China?

North Carolina

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 01:32 AM
North Carolina
Amazing! I had no clue obviously. Congratulations. Hopefully they did a better job with those than we were allowed to do when building kayaks.

WV6Z
12-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Okay, I promise this was NOT a loaded post guys, but, against my better judgment (as seven days a week is starting to get to this old man and I really should be in bed right now), here's the rest of the story......

1) The pair (Nexxt Essence) are pushing 2 1/2 years old now, so for those 'in the know', these are the pair that up until a year ago, sold for right at $1099 each. They have been replaced in that price range this past year by Bosch's latest and greatest and this pair sell for like $600 or $700 a piece at Lowe's.

2) Bosch is kind of a big deal in the Carolinas as they have plants that do everything from appliances in NC, to power tools, antilock breaking systems and oxygen sensors in Charleston as well as Anderson, SC.

3) Not that it matter smuch or really has anything to do with the story, but Frigidaire / Electrolux is here in Anderson, SC and, like many such places, they churn out the same exact units disguised in varying cabinetry and put their name, GE, Kelvinator, Magic Chef and a host of others on what is essentially the same exact 'chassis' with a different cabinet, so, yeah, your neighbors $249 Roper in plain appliance white has the same running gear as your $3,000 stainless steel job. Yeah, you always suspected such, but now you know it's true......

4) Charles and Paul, you know I am a cheap bastard and you both may (or may not recall) that this is the pair I picked up off of Craigslist after this poor guy got duped in to letting his fiance help him sell off his household stuff the week before they were married. Sorry, but I will have to elaborate on this a bit. Yeah, I am a Craigslist junkie. Right / wrong...... good bad or indifferent, I find it much more effective than the Sunday classifieds and beats the socks off of eBay. So, I am doing my kinda sorta routine of clicking the refresh button on my browser and I am watching the most recent adds hit for the Greenville / Spartanburg / SC Upstate. So yeah, up pops 'Bosch Washer and Dryer - Like New - $300'. I had this guys phone ringing withing 10 seconds flat. He answers and I say I have two questions, 'What's wrong with them?' and 'When can I come and pay you for them and pick them up?'..... His answers were 'Nothing' and 'How about after 2:30pm tomorrow?' SO I told the guy to please remove them from Craigslist and that I would be in his driveway with a lift gate pick up truck at 2:30pm.... He did and I was there at the specified time, cash in hand.

The guy, early to mid 30's, had a very nice 3/2 with a 2 car garage, huge yard and a 6 or 7 year old son who was eager to help us move the stuff. Anyway I asked him to tell me, seriously, what's the deal with the washer and dryer, he said that he is getting married in three days and that his girlfriend, an engineer at BMW, has a huge house that is already filled with all they will ever need, so she was helping him unload his stuff on Craigslist. The pair were almost 5 months old and a deal was a deal so they were mine. I said that they were listed way too cheap and I offered (scout's honor) to help him relist them on Craigslist and suggested he ask maybe $1700 or $1800 for the pair. He said, no, I called as soon as they were listed and a deal was a deal, they were mine and he really had no use for them after that Saturday anyway. So I handed him $300, we load the truck and I wish him all the best in the new marriage and thanked him for the great deal. It was then he said, "Mr. Bailey, i hope they serve you as well as they did me. I work as a truck driver and work hard to provide a nice house with nice things for my son and I. I had no idea how much I had sold the pair to you for after we got off of the phone last night until I called and asked my fiance. I said to her that her adds must be doing well as I had just gotten a call from a man close by and he is going to pick up the washer and dryer tomorrow afternoon...... how much does he owe me and thanks for helping me put the stuff on Craigslist honey. Well Mr. Bailey, that initiated our first argument I guess." I said , "Oh no, why?" He said, "When she said I was welcome and that you owed me $300 for them, the first thing out of my mouth was, 'Oh f*@k no, you didn't!', and of course I had to apologize real quick, well, after I told her that I would be paying for the pair for the next 2 years on my Lowe's credit card." I told him, "That's it, I can't take them." He said, "But they are yours and now you know why I waited until they were on your truck before I told you the story, enjoy 'em...... my dirty clothes will be swimming around in a $4,000 pair of Samsungs after the honeymoon."

So there ya have it guys, I picked em up for a song. He was clearing out his house that was to hit the market and I got one hell of a deal on an almost new washer and dryer. As I am a cheap bastard, I just don't want to pay a king's ransom, unless I have to to keep 'em going. So, being the honest guy I am, I will likely go ahead and let the service tech 'poop' me out of about $375, if he thinks that the part may still be necessary and cannot return it, or afford to keep it on the shelf 'just-in-case'. That's the part that bothers me. I don't want to be a financial burden to the service tech.

Oh, and to make an insanely long story even longer. My wife works at Bosch. She really, and I mean REALLY wanted this pair for our house when we were moving in to it (along with the Bosch dishwasher, the two drawer one that had a price tag of something insane like $2 or $3k), but, we really didn't have that kind of money at that time. Suffice it to say, when I backed the truck up to the front porch, she cried...... So ya know I just GOTTA keep her stuff a runnin'!

Anyway, that's the whole story and yeah Charles, it uses that new fangled low suddsing, environmentally conscious detergent where you put like 3 eyedroppers full into it and an 8 ounce container of the shyte is my full months salary...... BEFORE TAXES and I think it uses like a half a beer can full of water to do a 3 ton load. Oh and Bob, uh, yeah, F-16 just about describes it, but, I think the Bosch can actually spin faster than an F-16 can fly! :)

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes of course I remember the story! It is a beautiful story and yours to share and thus, I kept my pie hole sealed for your protection or whatever the government warning is. It should also be of note, that you have the cleanest clothes of any hamfest patron I have ever known! Even the Soggy Diaper Boys have made comment on how you always arrive Spring fresh, like a daisy on the first warm day of April.

WV6Z
12-11-2010, 01:08 PM
LOL, you ass! Glad I had swallowed the Diet Dr. Pepper before I read that Charles!

KA5PIU
12-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Hello.

To arrive as the cleanest hamfest attendee you simply have to show up clean. ;)

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Hello.

ahem ... LAME.

NQ6U
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
ahem ... LAME.

It's just Rudy demonstrating his fashion sense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamé_(fabric)) once again. That stuff is made by depositing aluminum onto a synthetic thread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurex_(yarn)), BTW, so it might make good dish material.

KG4CGC
12-11-2010, 08:56 PM
It's just Rudy demonstrating his fashion sense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lam%C3%A9_%28fabric%29) once again. That stuff is made by depositing aluminum onto a synthetic thread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurex_%28yarn%29), BTW, so it might make good dish material.
It lacked imagination which is out of character for him. I basically already said the same thing, colorfully. Please also consider the play on words too as an added bonus. (or is that bone us he muttered under his breath?)

W3WN
12-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Hello.

Show up at my hamfest unclean & we'll toss you in the creek.

Either you clean up quick or you freeze to death. Or get pecked to death by the ducks.

KC9ECI
12-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey Tom, does the service and repair guy look like this?

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y373/arkangelz66/jack.png

WV6Z
12-12-2010, 01:04 AM
No Tom, 'I' look like that!

KA5PIU
12-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Show up at my hamfest unclean & we'll toss you in the creek.

Either you clean up quick or you freeze to death. Or get pecked to death by the ducks.

Hello.

You run a hamfest?
Around here all we get are cattle roundups, sometimes with real cows, a beeffest.
And, yes, I have seen the stuff, it is a sort of layer of silver on cloth but can come in a golden hue also.
I have also seen it in a metal red and a reflective black.
My fashion sense is pretty much limited to European male fashion, right now a colorful sweater, Khaki pants and loafers with Khaki dress socks.
Under is a long sleeve shirt that holds my talkie and cellphone.
A fabric belt that doubles as a multi turn Induction coil and receiver.
No bluetooth, I think the things are still to large to look nice, unless you think looking like a startrek radio operator looks fashionable.

KG4CGC
12-12-2010, 01:20 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/9a19bd79.gif

KG4CGC
12-12-2010, 01:40 AM
[autorun]
icon=drive.ico
open=launch.bat
action=Click ok to Run game for Windows
shell\open\command=launch.bat

KA5PIU
12-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Hello.

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on the one machine.
Mac OS X v10.6.5 Snow Leopard on the other.

NQ6U
12-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Hello.

Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on the one machine.
Mac OS X v10.6.5 Snow Leopard on the other.

Mac OS X v10.6.5 Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on the same machine.

W3MIV
12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
My washer does windows, but the xyl does not.

KA5PIU
12-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Mac OS X v10.6.5 Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat on the same machine.

Hello.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook
http://gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hackintosh-a-dell-mini-9-into-the-ultimate-os-x-netbook
2 machines with the same pair of OS, plus Windows even!
Microsoft has the needed patch to install Windows on a Mac, or you can Bootcamp, or there are are several other options.
I can of course also boot as a thin client and at that point the OS is moot.
http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/home.asp
I have a TV that runs Linux. ;)
http://www.vizio.com/discover/via
Computing is nearly limitless if you have an open mind.

W4RLR
12-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Anyone that bought a Karcher pressure washer five to ten years ago and got a DVD owners manual, the dulcet tones doing the narration were done by yours truly. Outside dubbing work was one of the perks of working for AFN. Speakers with American accents are not exactly a garden variety item in Stuttgart.

W3WN
12-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Hello.

You run a hamfest?< snip >
Yes.

N2NH
12-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Yes.

Then you need the industrial size... comes with it's own kid.

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/21185.jpg?zm=500,500,1,0,0