PDA

View Full Version : Pickled herring

W5GA
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Anybody here besides me that likes it? Always a holiday treat at my house. How about Kimchee?

WØTKX
12-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Absolutely! Love the stuff.

NQ6U
12-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Never had pickled herring but I love kimchee. There's a Korean restaurant here in town that makes their own and it's great.

W5GA
12-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Never had pickled herring but I love kimchee. There's a Korean restaurant here in town that makes their own and it's great.
I too love kimchee. I also like hot. Had some kimchee in Korea once upon a time that nearly put chemical blisters in my mouth...more than I could take.

al2n
12-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Pickled herring is downright awesome! Love the stuff since I was a kid.

Kimchee is great too. I also had the chance to try some home made hot stuff that nearly burned me a new bunghole.

kd8dey
12-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Never seen pickled herring around here, BUT I can get smoked kippers at the "Dollar Store", grab a pack of crackers......

N9FE
12-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Pickled everything. Beets are my fav. Greenbeans and herring too. My brother makes pickled pike that puts store bought pickled herring to shame

W5GA
12-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Pickled everything. Beets are my fav. Greenbeans and herring too. My brother makes pickled pike that puts store bought pickled herring to shame
Another of my favs is the jars with the pickled carrots, onions and whatnot, especially the hot ones. Never had pickled pike, but I bet it's yummy!

NQ6U
12-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Pickled carrots with jalapeņo peppers!

W5GA
12-09-2010, 10:57 PM
:bbh::bbh::bbh:

WØTKX
12-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Pickled northern pike and walleye. Yum. Sometimes in season at Lake Wobegone.

I've had some zingy kimchee, but avoid the industrial strength.

kc7jty
12-09-2010, 11:07 PM

Japapeņos en escabeche. Had it home made at a Mexican restaurant here a few days ago. I'm goin back.

w3bny
12-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Dunt know about the pickled fishies...But I am a kimchee foo! Especially when its fizzy and extra stinky! Like the baby Daikon or cucumber...or the peppers..Mmmm..

W3MIV
12-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Gefiltefisch!

W1GUH
12-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Herring in cream sauce is one of my very favorite delicacies. The stuff in a jar at the supermarket is just fine, if necessary. But it's heavenly to get it from a good deli where they cut up the filets and mix it with the cream cheese stuff right there. mmmmmm!!!!!

But the thought of "Pickled northern pike and walleye." is something I just HAVE to try. That sounds totally awesome.

Add some smoked whitefish and some nova and you've got a great meal!

At the other end of the fish spectrum is Lutefisk. Anyone brave enough to even get close to that vile stuff has my admiration. (Just stay the hell away from me for a while, tho' ). The whole concept of preparing food with lye is grotesque. No wonder Scandinavians can be so sour at times....like my Swedish relatives.

Gefiltefisch is great with horse radish. 'Course, with enough horseradish, just about anything is delicious...'cept maybe lutefisk!

W3MIV
12-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I prefer the herring in plain pickle, sold often as "lunch herring," to that put up in wine. I don't care for the cream pack. In Germany, street vendors sold "Rollmops" on street corners and at festivals -- a fairly large fillet of lunch herring wrapped around some pickled carrot and onions on a wonderful "Broetchen." Beats hell out of any hot dog out there. Miss that here.

KC2UGV
12-10-2010, 01:10 PM
If it's pickled... I'm there :) And, I love kimchee. I need to find me a Korean family that I can buy some from. The Supermarket stuff just doesn't cut it.

al2n
12-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Pickled asparagus is another favorite of mine.

When I am trying to drop some pounds, I stock up on pickled treats. Most are very low in calories and full of flavor. About the only way I enjoy cauliflower is pickled. The hotter the better.

W5GA
12-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I prefer the herring in plain pickle, sold often as "lunch herring," to that put up in wine. I don't care for the cream pack. In Germany, street vendors sold "Rollmops" on street corners and at festivals -- a fairly large fillet of lunch herring wrapped around some pickled carrot and onions on a wonderful "Broetchen." Beats hell out of any hot dog out there. Miss that here.
Now, that sounds awesome...but what's Broetchen?

W3MIV
12-12-2010, 05:31 AM
Now, that sounds awesome...but what's Broetchen?

A particular type of German roll -- sort of a short loaf of bread -- with a very crusty crust like French bread, but with a deeper, yeastier flavored crumb. The word translates as "little bread," sort of.

WX7P
12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Mongo say:

Herring? Good!

Kimchee? Nasty

kc7jty
12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Went into an artisan bread shop in Montana once. All their ware was baked in bread pans (with all the herbs, seeds, nuts, cheese, sugar, etc). I asked if they had any European style bread.
The woman says "what's that?"
Noticed the place was out of business last time I was there.

AA0CX
12-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Anybody here besides me that likes it? Always a holiday treat at my house. How about Kimchee?

Never had Kimchee, but I absolutely Luuuuuuvvvvvvv pickled herring! I like it either creamed, or plain. I can eat a whole "large" jar in one sitting. It seems like I mostly run into Elf Brand here (ND) but I'm sure there are others just as good. Come to think of it, I don't have any in the house, and I'm going to make a point of picking some up. When I had cats (a breeding pair of Siamese) they would always get kind of nuts whenever I grabbed the jar out of the frige -- jumping up on the counter, and screaming and all that.

But I digress: I love pickled herring!

W3MIV
12-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Pickled herring puts me in mind of an old Baltimore tradition I had completely forgotten since the death of all my widowed aunts and my own widowed Irish mum. The tradition, however, is probably German -- Baltimore being notorious in the "olden dayes" for the unholy mix of Micks and Krauts (as my own family proved only too well).

Ah, back to the tradition, is it? OK. Eating pickled herring on New Years Eve was considered to be good luck, and the stuff was always a staple at our festivities in those now misty days long gone. On New Years Eve, precisely at the stroke of midnight, all the widows would leave their houses and wait until a man -- usually I was the victim since we all lived quite close in what then were honestly described as "row houses" (another facet of old Baltimore's fame, but I digress). It was considered the worst of bad luck if a man did not enter the house as the first person of the year, and that man would best bestow blessings for the year to come were he chewing a pickled herring cud as the trod o'er the threshold.

Had so damned many houses to enter when I was a young buck that I actually carried a jar of the stuff as I went from door to door performing the familial obeisance to superstition.

The above is a true statement, unembellished... well, mostly unembellished, anyway.

N9FE
12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Pickled herring and Peel and eat shrimp were the new years hit when i was a kid.. And nasty mogen david wine, In case our jewish friends would stop by.

kc7jty
12-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Sauerkraut is a traditional good luck New Years dish.
& guess what goes better with SK than even German lager?
A big tasty stout...try it.

NQ6U
12-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Pickled herring and Peel and eat shrimp were the new years hit when i was a kid.. And nasty mogen david wine, In case our jewish friends would stop by.

You served shrimp but were worried about whether the wine was kosher? I think our friend Ron will have something to say about this.

N9FE
12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
You served shrimp but were worried about whether the wine was kosher? I think our friend Ron will have something to say about this. I don't have a clue. This was my parents way. And i remember how terrible the wine was.

NQ6U
12-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't have a clue. This was my parents way. And i remember how terrible the wine was.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/pinchsuckburn.gif

W5GA
12-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Sauerkraut is a traditional good luck New Years dish.
Another of my all time fav's!

N9FE
12-23-2010, 07:14 PM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/pinchsuckburn.gif
Way Funny. I needed a laugh after all the morons walking around clueless in the store today.

kc7jty
12-24-2010, 03:12 AM
I used to drink Mogen David cherry wine in the summer (in the 70s) on the rocks before I moved up to Yago Sangria.

W3MIV
12-24-2010, 07:12 AM
I used to drink Mogen David cherry wine in the summer (in the 70s) on the rocks before I moved up to Yago Sangria.

Sounds more like a side-slide than a move up to me, Billhelm. To steal a fitting ad slogan from an earlier time, "you've come a long way, baby!"

kc7jty
12-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Yago was definitely a move up from Mogen but compared to left bank Bordeaux or a good Cabernet yes, a side slide.

W3MIV
12-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Funny how popular sangria was for a while back in the seventies. Usually a pretty bad wine loaded beyond endurance with citrus detritus. Everybody ran out and bought one of those wine jugs with a marsupial pouch for ice in the side. It went along with fondue and shit like that.

Oh, wow, man! Far out!

NQ6U
12-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Oh, wow, man! Far out!

Groovy. Now, don't bogart that joint, man.

N2NH
12-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Gefiltefisch!

That and Lutefisk are for braver souls than mine.

Love Pickled Herring and Smoked Kippers. Getting a bit pricey here though.