PDA

View Full Version : Legit or No?

KG4CGC
12-09-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.workathomenoscams.com/recommendations/

I have looked at many work at home deals and all of them turned out to be scams. Anyone know about this outfit?

NQ6U
12-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Claims such as this:

"How To Earn US $5000+ Per Month From Your Blog, ‘Working’ As Little As 2 Hours Per Day"

make me doubt the legitimacy of the operation.

KG4CGC
12-09-2010, 05:22 PM
There was another one where they claimed that you would work for Google from home and make 2000-5000 bucks from home. All you had to do was drop links in different places. Being skeptical, I waited it out and when the truth came out, it was also a scam. All it took was a small investment of $4 to purchase the software to do the job. AOL News did the original story (AP?) but you know, regardless of the glowing reports and yad yada ____, it still, smelled.

N2CHX
12-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I clicked the link and it crashed my browser. My browser NEVER crashes.

KG4CGC
12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
No probobaloms here. You mean the link I provided?
I need to do something. I cannot seem to get hired on anywhere locally. I've jumped through all the hoops. Oh yeah, arrest record. I might steal something.

NA4BH
12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
It has the thumbs up on the page. It's gotta be good.

Stay away Charles

n2ize
12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Anything that offers success from home is usually a scam. Especially if they make it sound like it's gonna make big bucks fast.

it is possible to make money from home but it is not easy. Usually it involves having a good marketable skill, preferably something that companies need but is not readily available, Then it takes a lot of hard work, planning, connections etc. For example, why should a company hire or trust you to work from home and, why hire you from home and not make you come in , and why hire you instead of someone else ?

The only "work from home" sites I MIGHT trust are the ones that admit... it's not going to be easy and you are going to do a lot of work and not see much, if any, of a return for a good while and, even then it might not be what you were hoping for. Thus far I have not seen any that admit the truth.

Working at home = starting your own business. takes time, effort, and a lot of patience and hard work.

If you want to work at home it might be a good idea to contact a local chapter of your Small Business Assoociation or similar organization.

KA5PIU
12-09-2010, 06:09 PM
No probobaloms here. You mean the link I provided?
I need to do something. I cannot seem to get hired on anywhere locally. I've jumped through all the hoops. Oh yeah, arrest record. I might steal something.

Hello.

Do NOT steal something! you are NOT a Politician! you will NOT get away with it! ;)

kf0rt
12-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Only person I ever met who's made money on a legit "work at home" gig that doesn't involve whoring your friends is the wife of my ex-boss. She does medical transcriptions for doctors. Transcribes their voice recordings into Word (?) files. She's got some special piece of equipment that hooks up to a phone line and allows you to receive the recordings and control the playback with your feet while you type.

I seem to remember that it pays something like 10 cents per word and she makes a little under $30K a year doing this full-time (no bennies, and she has a boss). My ex-boss buddy helped her with this during the 16 months he was out of work recently. Not a horrible gig (better than WalMart), but I think it'd get pretty boring. He once told me that it goes pretty fast until you run into some of the medical jargon that requires specialized dictionaries to get the spelling right.

n2ize
12-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Try attacking a niche market. A friend of mine makes money building battery chargers for RC aircraft batteries. he started off with one or two customers. before he knew he had more orders than he could keep up with. Another guy who has experience with vacuum molding builds custom canopies and bodies for RC helicopters. over the past couple weeks he got a dozen orders. In all honesty sometimes business gets slow. But it picks up at this time of year because during the winter hobbyists like to spend more time working on their stuff indoors and getting it ready for spring. It isn;t enough to live on but it does help to pay some of his bills.

If you can think of a niche market, i.e ham radio, stamp collecting, etc. and any kind of product or service you can provide I'm not saying that this is necessarily for you but, it is a possible direction to look into.

KG4CGC
12-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Hello.

Do NOT steal something! you are NOT a Politician! you will NOT get away with it! ;)
Plus I don't have the savvy required to get away with rustling cattle. Do I. I've never stolen anything. Thieves may seem petty at first but as the list of lies and items grow ... so does the conditioning that it is normal to lie and steal. If confronted, I would beat a thief with the same zeal I would beat a murderer or rapist with. I don't fight for sport. It does not give me any kind of ego satisfaction. For me, THAT, is something with the intent of getting from point A to point B. It ain't about the ride.
It has been Open Season on thieves in SC for a few years now.
Hello,

kf0rt
12-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Try attacking a niche market. A friend of mine makes money building battery chargers for RC aircraft batteries. he started off with one or two customers. before he knew he had more orders than he could keep up with. Another guy who has experience with vacuum molding builds custom canopies and bodies for RC helicopters. over the past couple weeks he got a dozen orders. In all honesty sometimes business gets slow. But it picks up at this time of year because during the winter hobbyists like to spend more time working on their stuff indoors and getting it ready for spring. It isn;t enough to live on but it does help to pay some of his bills.

If you can think of a niche market, i.e ham radio, stamp collecting, etc. and any kind of product or service you can provide I'm not saying that this is necessarily for you but, it is a possible direction to look into.

Great idea, but good luck finding a niche that hasn't already been filled. I've got a buddy who's doing this now, and it could do real well for him (can't mention the product just yet -- it's software).

KG4CGC
12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Only person I ever met who's made money on a legit "work at home" gig that doesn't involve whoring your friends is the wife of my ex-boss. She does medical transcriptions for doctors. Transcribes their voice recordings into Word (?) files. She's got some special piece of equipment that hooks up to a phone line and allows you to receive the recordings and control the playback with your feet while you type.

I seem to remember that it pays something like 10 cents per word and she makes a little under $30K a year doing this full-time (no bennies, and she has a boss). My ex-boss buddy helped her with this during the 16 months he was out of work recently. Not a horrible gig (better than WalMart), but I think it'd get pretty boring. He once told me that it goes pretty fast until you run into some of the medical jargon that requires specialized dictionaries to get the spelling right.
In 2005 I was looking into coding. That's what they call the whole billing process in the medical field. It was being advertised as a work from home thing until the medical community here decided that having "outsiders" do it from home left the whole process too exposed to John Q. Public.
I have a friend that does exactly that, coding and she has to do it in a medical facility on their network. She is concerned however, that her job will eventually be offshored to a country that pays one tenth to one twentieth of her wage.

KG4CGC
12-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Been looking into that with photography but all the responses have been from people who don't want to pay money and the claim is that they want to help me build my portfolio. I tell them that I have an outstanding portfolio. Then they usually start in with, "Anybody can take a picture," (or draw or photoshop) etc. Since I've heard the 12 year old niece story so many times I go ahead and beat them to the punch and suggest that they hire their 12 year old niece to do it ... and stop wasting my time.

n2ize
12-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Have you looked into any Small Business associations or support groups in your area ? Often they offer free seminars, consultations and help with ideas, and ways to get started as well as loans, grants, etc. A few months ago my dad and I I attended a seminar hosted by a local small business group in my area. It could be a good way to get a start and an idea as to what might or might not work and how to go about it.

This may be a good starting point...

http://www.sba.gov/

KG4CGC
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Have you looked into any Small Business associations or support groups in your area ? Often they offer free seminars, consultations and help with ideas, and ways to get started as well as loans, grants, etc. A few months ago my dad and I I attended a seminar hosted by a local small business group in my area. It could be a good way to get a start and an idea as to what might or might not work and how to go about it.

This may be a good starting point...

http://www.sba.gov/I had no idea. Are there conditions put on qualifications?

n2ize
12-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I had no idea. Are there conditions put on qualifications?

To be honest the SBA is better at pointing one in the direction of loans, grants, etc. more so than devising specific businesses to get into. But they can be helpful. I usually try to network with others attending the seminars. Sometimes you can gather good ideas from them.

kf0rt
12-09-2010, 07:36 PM
In 2005 I was looking into coding. That's what they call the whole billing process in the medical field. It was being advertised as a work from home thing until the medical community here decided that having "outsiders" do it from home left the whole process too exposed to John Q. Public.
I have a friend that does exactly that, coding and she has to do it in a medical facility on their network. She is concerned however, that her job will eventually be offshored to a country that pays one tenth to one twentieth of her wage.

I'm actually surprised that voice recognition hasn't taken that field over. This gal isn't into the billing, but transcribing the doctor's verbal medical notes. She never sees the patient's financial stuff.

Still, you'd think that the whole labor market would be full of legit WAH opportunities. But if it's a labor-no-brains thing, the real cheap labor is all offshore.

I've often thought that there might be some opportunities in photography (you'd be GOOD at this). I can shoot weddings if I have to and was recently looking into quadracopters that hold cameras for aerial photography. Downside to that is that a decent quadracopter is still pretty expensive and I'd have to learn how to fly it. And I don't know dick about the aerial photo market around here -- it just sounded like fun.

Got another friend who is big into producing multimedia videos. It's a bit of a hobby here, and I've helped him out with some of his "this looks like fun but I don't know shidt about photography" problems. I don't think he's made a dime, but his background is in graphic arts (sales, mostly), and he's probably dumped $3-4K into equipment and software.

Mostly, the whole WAH thing fails, and you're probably better off starting a small business. This doesn't have to be anything official -- many small businesses started out with nothing more than someone charging for what they were doing for free anyway. And damn, it is the dream, eh?

Here's a few ideas I've come up with and mostly discarded:
Wedding photography. Pretty high profit but it's emotionally charged. Could "fall back" to this, but don't think I'd enjoy it. Requires "people skills."
Network wiring for office buildings -- Jesus, this is expensive for what it is.
Small home theater installation -- lots of old folks with money out there with no technical skills. Beat the "Geek Squad" on price and do it better.
iPhone programming -- wanted to learn this, but can't come up with anything that hasn't been done already.

Ultimately, it's the same old capitalist game: Take something you're good at and enjoy and figure out how to make money from it.

n2ize
12-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I've often thought that there might be some opportunities in photography (you'd be GOOD at this). I can shoot weddings if I have to and was recently looking into quadracopters that hold cameras for aerial photography. Downside to that is that a decent quadracopter is still pretty expensive and I'd have to learn how to fly it.

Compared to regular RC helicopters, Quadricopters are much more stable platforms for aerial photography. But there is also another point to consider. Once you put an RC helicopter, plane, or quadricopter , blimp or balloon into commercial use, i.e. aerial photography for which you are compensated, the FAA rules change. It may be considered a commercial aircraft and may be subject to regulations, FEE$ $$$ and other issues that don;t apply to hobby uses. I am not an expert on the exact regulations but it is worth checking out before venturing in.

kf0rt
12-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Compared to regular RC helicopters, Quadricopters are much more stable platforms for aerial photography. But there is also another point to consider. Once you put an RC helicopter, plane, or quadricopter , blimp or balloon into commercial use, i.e. aerial photography for which you are compensated, the FAA rules change. It may be considered a commercial aircraft and may be subject to regulations, FEE$ $$$ and other issues that don;t apply to hobby uses. I am not an expert on the exact regulations but it is worth checking out before venturing in.

I think I read that (here, maybe?). Screwed at every turn, and that's part of the problem.

Free country?

My ass.

N2CHX
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I think I read that (here, maybe?). Screwed at every turn, and that's part of the problem.

Free country?

My ass.

Ha! Yep.

N7RJD
12-09-2010, 09:21 PM

It does now.:rofl::rofl:

n2ize
12-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Free country?

My ass.

There is no easy way to make money in this country. When something appears easy its usually a scam. When you do find some way that can legitimately make money there are a million fees, roadblocks, etc. Not that it can;t be done but they sure don;t make it easy.