PDA

View Full Version : N8YX, you're next on the couch.

KJ3N
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I have chosen my successor. Prepare yourself. :lol:

NQ6U
12-08-2010, 01:00 PM
To get this out of the way:

Do you like gladiator movies? Have you ever seen a grown man naked? Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

kf0rt
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Have you ever chit in Turkey?

NQ6U
12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/communistparty.png

If not, why? That Karl Marx is a hoot once he's had a few...

KG4CGC
12-08-2010, 03:22 PM
You have quite an extensive knowledge of electronics and well, most things electrical and mechanical. How did you get so smart? :)

KC2UGV
12-08-2010, 03:27 PM
What led you into ham radio?

What would be your reply if a man told you that you were the hottest thing since lava? How about if a woman told you that?

kc7jty
12-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Are you given to wearing lots of makeup?

N8YX
12-08-2010, 04:20 PM
To get this out of the way:

Do you like gladiator movies?
Like that "300" thingy? Never saw it.

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Every morning.

I see a naked woman every morning as well.

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
Nope, nor any other variety.

N8YX
12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Have you ever chit in Turkey?
No, but I've eaten lots of turkey. Will probably feast on some post-workout tonight.

N8YX
12-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

If not, why? That Karl Marx is a hoot once he's had a few...
I've knocked back a bottle or two of Absolut in my day, as well as Stolichnaya. Does that count?

W7XF
12-08-2010, 04:26 PM
<snip>What would be your reply if a man told you that you were the hottest thing since lava?<snip>

Thanks for stealing my question, Corey!

N8YX
12-08-2010, 04:47 PM
You have quite an extensive knowledge of electronics and well, most things electrical and mechanical. How did you get so smart? :)Reading. Studying. Doing.

Your question segues into Corey's so I'll attempt to answer both at once:

What led you into ham radio?

I had a parent who - from very early in life - worked extensively with me and helped develop reading and science skills to the point where I became thoroughly curious about the world around me...what made it all tick...how to break it, fix it, improve it. Electronics was part of that progression. A couple of uncles who were deeply enmeshed in matters technical steered me into books, rather than trouble - a trap many of my cousins have fallen into over the years.

The electronics bit led me into radio - CB, shortwave listening, scanners, etc. I took an electronics engineering technology course in high school and that's where I bumped into my Elmer - WB8WDQ. Was licensed as a Novice in my junior year and jumped to Advanced 3 weeks after graduation.

Put college on hold long enough to become involved in two start-ups, got fed up with 18 hour days and landed a spot with my current employer due to the work I had done with the old AX.25 packet network...i.e., designing and building computer-controlled 'systems' from the ground up. Was involved in product R&D for a good many years then transitioned into more of an operations/security role over the last five.

Maybe I'll finally get that degree...but in what? A lot of my coworkers see that piece of paper (and the accompanying study) as a means to an end. They don't really like their work, even though they're good at it.

I, on the other hand, view each new discipline - each new technology - as fun. Giving back to the various disciplines (including ham radio) by virtue of teaching or assisting others is also very rewarding.

What would be your reply if a man told you that you were the hottest thing since lava?A nice 'Thanks; I appreciate the compliment but I'm not interested' usually works...but then again, I don't get much of that.

How about if a woman told you that? Be vewwy, vewwy quiet...I'm hunting wabbits... ;)

N8YX
12-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Are you given to wearing lots of makeup?
No makeup unless it's that on-camera pancake stuff which the talking heads in our instructional videos get slathered with prior to a shoot. Fortunately, I haven't had to do that in a number of years.

suddenseer
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
When the republicans take over the FCC and decide to sell off all of the ham bands but one. There will be an election where licensed hams will vote for which band to keep. Which one would you vote for to keep, and why? (Sorry to go political, but I am an Alpha Hotel.)

N8YX
12-09-2010, 05:29 AM
When the republicans take over the FCC and decide to sell off all of the ham bands but one. There will be an election where licensed hams will vote for which band to keep. Which one would you vote for to keep, and why? (Sorry to go political, but I am an Alpha Hotel.)
Either 6 or 10M.

Both are big enough to accommodate lots of activity and both are blessed with the occasional E and F-layer propagation events which bring the DX out of the woodwork.

N2CHX
12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Boxers or briefs?

N8YX
12-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Boxers or briefs?
Briefs, solid colored. Gray, black or blue.

Nothing funnier than seeing a set of heart-printed boxers hit the floor in the stall next to you.

Yeah, by wearing them you're making an effort to placate your wife/GF/SO and her tacky sense of taste but damn...absolutely none of the gay folk whom I know dress that gauche. :roll:

W7XF
12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Briefs, solid colored. Gray, black or blue.

Nothing funnier than seeing a set of heart-printed boxers hit the floor in the stall next to you.

Yeah, by wearing them you're making an effort to placate your wife/GF/SO and her tacky sense of taste but
damn...absolutely none of the gay folk whom I know dress that gauche. :roll:
A lot of us gay folk go commando....

suddenseer
12-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Either 6 or 10M.

Both are big enough to accommodate lots of activity and both are blessed with the occasional E and F-layer propagation events which bring the DX out of the woodwork.Those would be my choices as well, then a coin flip.;)

kf0rt
12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Fred. How about some pics of your shack? :yes:

W5GA
12-09-2010, 07:50 PM
If you could only keep one gun, which would it be and why?

suddenseer
12-09-2010, 08:06 PM
If you could only keep one gun, which would it be and why?Excellent question.:agree:

N8YX
12-10-2010, 07:19 AM
If you could only keep one gun, which would it be and why?
T/C Encore.

It's modular. Can be configured as a pistol, muzzleloader, shotgun, rimfire rifle or centerfire rifle.

With an accurate Pro Hunter rifle barrel (say, in 300 Win Mag), decent optics and thumb-hole stock fitted I could use it to field-upgrade to something else. ;)

N8YX
12-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Hey Fred. How about some pics of your shack? :yes:
I have the middle third posted in one of the Ham Radio forums and just took a shot of the leftmost side. Will post it today.

N8YX
12-10-2010, 07:27 AM
A lot of us gay folk go commando....
Must be a different crowd than the white collar types I'm used to interacting with. If anything, the gay professional is better-dressed (and better mannered) than most of his or her contemporaries - at least from my experiences.

Hearts?

THAT would evoke some interesting commentary from a few I know. :rofl:

KC2UGV
12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Must be a different crowd than the white collar types I'm used to interacting with. If anything, the gay professional is better-dressed (and better mannered) than most of his or her contemporaries - at least from my experiences.

Hearts?

THAT would evoke some interesting commentary from a few I know. :rofl:

Going commando doesn't necessarily mean "not well dressed"... Nobody sees the lack of what is not there (Usually).

N8YX
12-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Going commando doesn't necessarily mean "not well dressed"... Nobody sees the lack of what is not there (Usually).
But ya still gotta hang with the Joneses...so to speak. ;)

KC2UGV
12-10-2010, 09:35 AM
But ya still gotta hang with the Joneses...so to speak. ;)

I prefer to hang alone, thank you very much :lol: And, slightly to the left.

N8YX
12-11-2010, 09:04 AM
I have the middle third posted in one of the Ham Radio forums and just took a shot of the leftmost side. Will post it today.
Newest "multiplier" setup.

This is where I park 'DSG if/when the contest bug bites her hard enough for her to key a mic.

The leftmost FT-726 is set up as a satellite station (15-12-10, 2M, 432MHz full-duplex) and the rightmost is configured with 6, 2M and 440MHz modules. It is primarily used as the FM simplex rig though I'll occasionally work 6M SSB/CW.

A TM-221 handles 222MHz FM duties. I want to get hold of a couple FT-736s some day and swap the rightmost 726 for one which incorporates 6, 2, 220 and 440. Or I'll convert a '726 432MHz module to 220.

There's a R/S 19-1210 MURS rig in the pic. We sometimes use MURS when one of us is home and the other is out and about in the neighborhood. (Most of our bikes can incorporate MURS, amateur radio, FRS/GMRS and CB transceivers so we have some options to choose from in this regard.)

Second row far left is a Royce 1-642 SSB CB. Always wanted one of those "back in the day". Usually stays parked on 38LSB, home to most of the area's decent CB folk.

Bottom row is the Icom IC-751A/R71A - IC-2KL - AT-500 combo. It feeds either a G5RV @ 60ft (for 20, 40 and 75) or a modified Hustler 'BTV' (for 17, 15, 12 and 10/11). The CS-7 in the pic switches the Hustler between the Icoms, the HF module in the 726, the 1-642 and a couple other rigs which are off to the right.

suddenseer
12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Nice bug.

K7SGJ
12-12-2010, 10:45 AM
The subject of time machines came up in another thread. One of my favorite questions I used to ask people is if you could go to any time past or future, where would you go, and why? What would your choice be?

N8YX
12-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Nice bug.
That's a single-lever Vibrokeyer.

I have two of those, a Vibroplex Iambic paddle and a Vibroplex Original bug (of 1960s manufacture) in the shack. The bug isn't connected to anything at the moment but I may wire it up to one of the '940s for SKN. Seems we're celebrating New Years by ourselves this year; our usual cast of suspects rented a cabin in TN and Nicki cannot get enough time off work for us to make the trek with them. Thus, I'll chill the remainder of a case of Storm King stout which is sitting in the entryway and knock some of it back with the crew...either on the air or on the boards.

Neither of us go out to drink, especially on holidays. Much better to do it at home. Don't have far to walk to get to bed. ;)

N8YX
12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
The subject of time machines came up in another thread. One of my favorite questions I used to ask people is if you could go to any time past or future, where would you go, and why? What would your choice be?
The snarky, or serious version?

12/31/99.

The Prince reference should be obvious.

Actually I spent that night on the road - with dual-bander, CB, HF ham gear and a couple of scanners thrown in for good measure. At the time our amateur community was rather active in the whole "1-800-GRAB-DUI" bit...this before the wide-scale adoption of cell phones by the public.

The serious response...gets a bit more complicated.

Who wouldn't want to go back in time and save a loved one, forestall or prevent catastrophe, do things differently with "the one that got away"? But think for a moment - if you will - about where you are and how you are today. Life so-so at the moment; maybe going back and correcting missteps would fix it? Introducing a paradox into the timeline could indeed make things better for someone...or they could become a hell of a lot worse.

Should we as a species ever gain the ability to time travel, we're going to find out - probably sooner than later - that attempting to right the wrongs (or to wrong the rights, perhaps) is akin to playing a cross between the lotto and Russian Roulette: Get lucky, hit correctly and the payoff will be admirable. Keep playing for long and the hammer will drop on a loaded chamber.

Jumping forward brings with it a similar set of risks. The world marches into the future one day at a time, with the promise of tomorrow setting the pace. What if one jogged ahead, say, a thousand or so years and saw that there was no future for humanity? Would the revelation of that knowledge tend to vastly accelerate societal collapse?

Fans of Larry Niven might relate to the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Core_%28story%29

Come up with a foolproof way to guard separate cause and effect and I could think of a number of interesting times to visit.

No movie or still cameras allowed.

What would society as a whole do if someone suddenly turned up in the present day with, say, a video of Jesus' crucifixion and arisal? What would society do if the perspective time traveler found no evidence whatsoever of those events, no matter how thoroughly he or she searched?

Perhaps the reason that the stone tablets onto which the Ten Commandments are engraved cannot be found is because a time traveler went back, snagged them then sold 'em off to a far-in-the-future version of the Pawn Stars outfit.

The entire concept is awash with possibilities, and not all of them are good. Most in fact are not.

W7XF
12-13-2010, 10:55 PM
We need a new victim....er...subject to be the next occupant of the Island couch.... who do you designate??

N8YX
12-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Has 'IBC had his turn yet?

Maybe 'AIU - IIRC, his line of work hinges on radio astronomy...which is another branch of science I would enjoy exploring.

K7SGJ
12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
The snarky, or serious version?

12/31/99.

The Prince reference should be obvious.

Actually I spent that night on the road - with dual-bander, CB, HF ham gear and a couple of scanners thrown in for good measure. At the time our amateur community was rather active in the whole "1-800-GRAB-DUI" bit...this before the wide-scale adoption of cell phones by the public.

The serious response...gets a bit more complicated.

Who wouldn't want to go back in time and save a loved one, forestall or prevent catastrophe, do things differently with "the one that got away"? But think for a moment - if you will - about where you are and how you are today. Life so-so at the moment; maybe going back and correcting missteps would fix it? Introducing a paradox into the timeline could indeed make things better for someone...or they could become a hell of a lot worse.

Should we as a species ever gain the ability to time travel, we're going to find out - probably sooner than later - that attempting to right the wrongs (or to wrong the rights, perhaps) is akin to playing a cross between the lotto and Russian Roulette: Get lucky, hit correctly and the payoff will be admirable. Keep playing for long and the hammer will drop on a loaded chamber.

Jumping forward brings with it a similar set of risks. The world marches into the future one day at a time, with the promise of tomorrow setting the pace. What if one jogged ahead, say, a thousand or so years and saw that there was no future for humanity? Would the revelation of that knowledge tend to vastly accelerate societal collapse?

Fans of Larry Niven might relate to the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Core_%28story%29

Come up with a foolproof way to guard separate cause and effect and I could think of a number of interesting times to visit.

No movie or still cameras allowed.

What would society as a whole do if someone suddenly turned up in the present day with, say, a video of Jesus' crucifixion and arisal? What would society do if the perspective time traveler found no evidence whatsoever of those events, no matter how thoroughly he or she searched?

Perhaps the reason that the stone tablets onto which the Ten Commandments are engraved cannot be found is because a time traveler went back, snagged them then sold 'em off to a far-in-the-future version of the Pawn Stars outfit.

The entire concept is awash with possibilities, and not all of them are good. Most in fact are not.

That's pretty deep. I was thinking more on the lines of going back to see if Cleopatra looked anything like Elizabeth Taylor, or maybe catchung a ride out west with the Donner party.

W7XF
12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
No, W2IBC has not been on the couch as yet.

Therefore, he is next.