PDA

View Full Version : penny on the dollar

kc7jty
12-08-2010, 12:06 AM
My bank is giving me 1¢ back on every dollar I put on my credit card. This has been the case for a year or better but I never paid any attention to it figuring it was some BS with a catch somewhere.
It accrues for 5 years too.
That's it baby!...EVERY god damned thing is going on the credit card now (except gasoline which is 4¢ less a gallon for cash). As long as I pay off the balance every month I'll be in the pink.

KG4CGC
12-08-2010, 12:23 AM
That's how they get ya, Bill. Then you have to make a phone call to Peggy.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/AL2N%20High%20Point%20NC%20feb%2015%202009/148186-DISOCVER_LARGE.jpg

N2NH
12-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Sigh. They grow up and become capitalists so young these days...

kb2crk
12-08-2010, 07:17 AM
paypal offers the penny on the dollar on their debit card if you use it as a credit card. it pays it every month and there is no interest or extra charges for using it. i use it instead of my banks debit card.

kf0rt
12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
I got two cards that do that. AMEX pays 3 cents per buck back on gas (nobody around here gives cash discounts) and 2 cents at restaurants.

W3MIV
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I use Shell MasterCard, which pays a 5-cent rebate for Shell gasoline and a penny on others. Been using that one for years. Only credit card I carry anymore (other than a Visa debit and a Home Depot card) and I pay it out every month. My xyl carries more cards than a baker's dozen of riverboat gamblers have up their twenty-six sleeves -- mostly store cards -- but we pay them out when the bill arrives.

In lots of ways, plastic makes life easier. It also makes spending easier, an' there's the rub.

ki4itv
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
It makes investigations easier too.
I sometimes wonder if cash is going down the 'use it, or lose it' road.
It would certainly make an underground economy harder to negotiate.

kb2crk
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I use Shell MasterCard, which pays a 5-cent rebate for Shell gasoline and a penny on others. Been using that one for years. Only credit card I carry anymore (other than a Visa debit and a Home Depot card) and I pay it out every month. My xyl carries more cards than a baker's dozen of riverboat gamblers have up their twenty-six sleeves -- mostly store cards -- but we pay them out when the bill arrives.

In lots of ways, plastic makes life easier. It also makes spending easier, an' there's the rub.

Krogers and shell have a deal where if you have over 100 points on your Krogers discount card you get ten cents a gallon off. with a family of five it is easy to keep the grocery card full of points... lol.

KC2UGV
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I got two cards that do that. AMEX pays 3 cents per buck back on gas (nobody around here gives cash discounts) and 2 cents at restaurants.

My AMEX is the same. In fact, I use it for everything, and then just pay off the balance at the end of the month. My debit card has gotten dusty lately. I like with the AMEX, if there is a dispute, no questions, AMEX will do the credit. Whereas my bank, I have to go to a branch and fill out a form, and 2-3 days later I get the credit.

WØTKX
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
With my commute, the Safeway discount works out. But the GasBuddy App on the iPhone usually beats that, even with a discount.

Last fill was 2.47 a gallon, most stations are at 2.56 right now. But at 12 gal max fill on the little car, that's a whole $.90. :roll:

All bills here are electronic pay, and I only use my debit account.

Except for monthly bills and the medical crap, I have no debts. Not sure I want to the way things are going.

kb2crk
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
gas is running about 2.90 a gallon here right now. it is over 50 bucks to fill the minivan up now.

kf0rt
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
My AMEX is the same. In fact, I use it for everything, and then just pay off the balance at the end of the month. My debit card has gotten dusty lately. I like with the AMEX, if there is a dispute, no questions, AMEX will do the credit. Whereas my bank, I have to go to a branch and fill out a form, and 2-3 days later I get the credit.

The AMEX card is my Costco ID. I also use Discover a lot (more than AMEX) and it has the 1% deal, too. Discover does the same thing with chargebacks -- they refund it immediately and investigate later. They also do quarterly deals where you get 5% back on whatever the special is for that quarter (groceries, travel, etc...). I charge everything I can and pay it all off when the bill comes. Just cashed a $200 rebate from Discover last week. They're also handy for tracking stuff in Quicken.

KC2UGV
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
The AMEX card is my Costco ID. I also use Discover a lot (more than AMEX) and it has the 1% deal, too. Discover does the same thing with chargebacks -- they refund it immediately and investigate later. They also do quarterly deals where you get 5% back on whatever the special is for that quarter (groceries, travel, etc...). I charge everything I can and pay it all off when the bill comes. Just cashed a $200 rebate from Discover last week. They're also handy for tracking stuff in Quicken.

I also like my AMEX, because it does a smash-up job categorizing my purchases for me. Another plus when imported into Quickbooks :)