PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket butcher

kc7jty
12-01-2010, 05:47 PM
One might think these people could special cut a piece of meat, not around here they can't.
When top sirloin steak goes on sale I sometimes request a 3 lb roast of it with NO FAT CUT OFF.

They're always agreeable, but just can't do it.
As soon as the whole chunk of meat comes outta the cryovac they go into auto mode and start trimming off 90% of the fat.
HEY!...LEAVE THE FAT ON!
Then they can't get the weight right. A 3 pounder today ended up @ 4.7. I said I wanted 3 lb and don't go over 3.5 lb. (Krice, I can get it within 1/2 lb)

"Oh, duh...well I guess I could cut a steak off." Then he expects me to take the roast AND the 1.5 lb "steak".
I only took the roast.

Last year the guy in a different store just cut the whole thing into steaks and wanted me to take the thickest one. I said forget it and left.

It's at least 4 different stores and as many butchers now. I'm sure next time won't offer any relief

KG4CGC
12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Butchers in supermarkets are just guys who can stand the smell and can use the tools without losing too many digits. Scientific Management has brought us this fine state of affairs we see today. You train from the untrained and are classed as unskilled. A modern "butcher" these days must also be an entrepreneur and run his own shop. Outside of that, forget it.

suddenseer
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Butchers in supermarkets are just guys who can stand the smell and can use the tools without losing too many digits. Scientific Management has brought us this fine state of affairs we see today. You train from the untrained and are classed as unskilled. A modern "butcher" these days must also be an entrepreneur and run his own shop. Outside of that, forget it.I actually thought of going deer hunting again this shotgun season. Last month, I called on my old butcher shop to discover he retired 2 years ago. He does still process venison for his current customers when he retired. He recommended a few more in the county. They are all booked up solid. If I do go next season, I will have to get on the list EARLY.

KG4CGC
12-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I actually thought of going deer hunting again this shotgun season. Last month, I called on my old butcher shop to discover he retired 2 years ago. He does still process venison for his current customers when he retired. He recommended a few more in the county. They are all booked up solid. If I do go next season, I will have to get on the list EARLY.
Is there a fee if you strike out for the whole season?

W3MIV
12-01-2010, 07:41 PM
In my experience, the butcher problem in chain supermarkets varies all over the map. I am fortunate to have two very talented butchers at the Waverly Woods Weis. Both are experienced cutters, but one is a real artist. He often makes up very classy pork crown roasts, prettily "Frenched" and bootied. He will happily cut and trim at your wish, but only if he has the uncut stock hanging in the fridge. The problem is often that the customers demand close trimming of fat -- admittedly stupid as any cook with the least experience knows -- but the "fear of fat" has become nearly universal and far too few realize where the flavor of meat resides. If he has to put out twenty trimmed rib roasts for an advertised event, he may use all of the stock he has on hand to do so. The days of six or eight sides hanging in the cold locker are long gone in most suburban supermarkets.

suddenseer
12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
I did not ask. I only struck out once. I called my aforementioned butcher, and canceled. He had a cancellation list. I decided not to go after the news of recent butchers retiredness. My old butcher had his shop/store on his home property, only 1 mile from my house to boot. I don't have the skills, or secret recipe for the summer sausage sticks. PLUS, he was cheap compared to what the guys at work paid.

K7SGJ
12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I had a great butcher a few years back, but he dropped his cleaver and went off half cocked.

NQ6U
12-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I had a great butcher a few years back, but he dropped his cleaver and went off half cocked.

Man, I hate it when that happens... :lol:

n2ize
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
One might think these people could special cut a piece of meat, not around here they can't.
When top sirloin steak goes on sale I sometimes request a 3 lb roast of it with NO FAT CUT OFF.

As soon as the whole chunk of meat comes outta the cryovac they go into auto mode and start trimming off 90% of the fat.
HEY!...LEAVE THE FAT ON!
Then they can't get the weight right. A 3 pounder today ended up @ 4.7. I said I wanted 3 lb and don't go over 3.5 lb. (Krice, I can get it within 1/2 lb)

"Oh, duh...well I guess I could cut a steak off." Then he expects me to take the roast AND the 1.5 lb "steak".
I only took the roast.

Last year the guy in a different store just cut the whole thing into steaks and wanted me to take the thickest one. I said forget it and left.

It's at least 4 different stores and as many butchers now. I'm sure next time won't offer any relief

It's hard to find REAL butchers these days that really know the art of properly cutting and trimming meats. I remember in the old days we had a local butcher, an elderly Italian guy. He worked a small store that he owned, round the clock, and he cut and trimmed the meats on his block right in front of the customer. He knew exactly what fats to cut out and what to leave on. He understood that you don't remove all the fat, there was some you leave on the meat. A porterhouse or sirloin steak from this guy's shop came out great. Whether you broiled it, fried it, or cooked it on the outdoor grill. A rump roast, a pork roast, pork chops, lamb chops, everything he sold was properly butchered and cut and cooked up tender and tasty. Not to mention that he would go to the market and pick out his own choices of prime and grade A meats. The day he retired and sold the business marked the end of an era. Now, with supermarkets it's hit or miss. You might get a great cut of meat or you might get a lousy butchering job. The days of real butchers who really knew their trade is gone. The old guys must be turning over in their graves when they see what some of these guys nowadays consider quality butchering.

kc7jty
12-01-2010, 11:12 PM
The problem with fat on beef is all the old ladies demand it be removed. Then they pig out on sweets, danish, donuts, cake, pie, sugar, sugar, sugar.

The top sirloin roast turned out very well. The tenderest I ever had.

Got it at Safeway.

w2amr
12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
You shouldn't be eating fat anyway, it will clog up yer plumbing.

KG4CGC
12-02-2010, 03:34 PM
You shouldn't be eating fat anyway, it will clog up yer plumbing.
The human brain is 60% fat. You need some fat in your diet, if for nothing else, to keep your brain from starving. Beef and pork fat tend to solidify at a lower temperature than other types of fats. That is the main issue with fat but to some people, fat is fat. I prefer birds, fish and nuts and leaves for daily consumption with beef being occasional and in small quantities and occasional pork in even smaller quantities.

Somewhere along the the way, as we developed a more modernized society, we all began to think that we're all supposed to eat like kings, all the time. We've barely begun to move forward from that way of thinking, especially if you consider the sugar beverage industry.

W3MIV
12-02-2010, 03:52 PM
The human brain is 60% fat.

That's for the fatheads here. Over on QRZ, the average is closer to that mythical 99.44%.

w2amr
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
The human brain is 60% fat. You need some fat in your diet, if for nothing else, to keep your brain from starving. Beef and pork fat tend to solidify at a lower temperature than other types of fats. That is the main issue with fat but to some people, fat is fat. I prefer birds, fish and nuts and leaves for daily consumption with beef being occasional and in small quantities and occasional pork in even smaller quantities.

Somewhere along the the way, as we developed a more modernized society, we all began to think that we're all supposed to eat like kings, all the time. We've barely begun to move forward from that way of thinking, especially if you consider the sugar beverage industry. Watch it santa, yer hat may be on too tight and the fat will squeeze out yer ears.:shock:

W3MIV
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
He's Santa? :shock:

w3bny
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
OOOH i wanna pony..A pony!

w2amr
12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
OOOH i wanna pony..A pony!You'll get nothing and like it.

w2amr
12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
He's Santa? :shock:
Hoe hoe hoe.

w2amr
12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
That's for the fatheads here. Over on QRZ, the average is closer to that mythical 99.44%.I get it. If you loose too much weight , you will forget how to get home.

kc7jty
12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
The populace will cry foul when they see 10/15% fat on beef, pork, ham, but have no problem eating lean hamburger with 15% and over fat content. People are fhucked.

The Wal Mart used to carry pre sliced natural ham from Farmland Co. It was quite good, you could SEE the small amount of fat on it. The dolts didn't buy it, but that highly processed crap (which often cost more and had higher fat content) flew off the shelves.

Fat is needed for flavor.

W3MIV
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I get it. If you loose too much weight , you will forget how to get home.

I'm safe.

w2amr
12-02-2010, 04:34 PM
The populace will cry foul when they see 10/15% fat on beef, pork, ham, but have no problem eating lean hamburger with 15% and over fat content. People are fhucked.

The Wal Mart used to carry pre sliced natural ham from Farmland Co. It was quite good, you could SEE the small amount of fat on it. The dolts didn't buy it, but that highly processed crap (which often cost more and had higher fat content) flew off the shelves.

Fat is needed for flavor.Fine, listen to Santa and plug up your pipes. See if I care.

KG4CGC
12-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Fine, listen to Santa and plug up your pipes. See if I care.
Oh PUH-LEEZ! You are the Spinmeister du jour.

W3MIV
12-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I am always begging hard fat from my butcher. Sometimes free; sometimes I have to pay a token $.25/pound for it. The stuff I get is often erroneously called "suet" (which, properly, is only found around the kidneys). I shrink-wrap chunks of it and keep them in the freezer for use with beef roasts that have been trimmed too close. I also keep some fatback in the freezer for pork loins, which also suffer from over-zealous trimming. I also keep a small supply of ham skins, salt pork and smoked hocks and neck bones. The missus is always asking if we "have to keep this stuff?"

I might point out that one of those vacuum packing gizmos (I think mine is called a "Food Saver" or something similar) is a good investment. Sucking all the air out of the baggy keeps freezer burn at bay better than any other way I have found. The gadget has paid for itself a few times over in saved meat and fish -- and the bags are pricey.

w2amr
12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Oh PUH-LEEZ! You are the Spinmeister du jour.You're too kind.

kf0rt
12-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Boobies.

Just sayin'... :snicker:

w2amr
12-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Boobies.

Just sayin'... :snicker:Ok, I'll give ya that.

kc7jty
12-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I use the crevice tool inside a zip lock bag.

suddenseer
12-02-2010, 09:03 PM

Somewhere along the the way, as we developed a more modernized society, we all began to think that we're all supposed to eat like kings, all the time. We've barely begun to move forward from that way of thinking, especially if you consider the sugar beverage industry.You mean our collective species has not really adapted past the hunter/gatherer days?

N7RJD
12-02-2010, 09:22 PM

HEY!...LEAVE THE FAT ON!

I only took the roast.

I had a conversation with a long time grocery store butcher just yesterday where that subject did come up.
We talked about how they used to work behind glass and you could pull a package from the shelf and have
them do a quick custom cut and how those days are gone. It is just like any other business anymore where
they have studies telling them what people want and that's what they cater to without consideration for those
who might want it a bit different.

I go to the same bank everyday for work. Their idea of customer service is to accost you on your way through
the door like you are there to open an account, gets even worse when they have somebody from another branch
covering for the day. Personally I find such things pretty damn annoying and would not go back if it were for the
fact that I have to for work....ok, that and some of the cute girls that I wish I could get to accost me on my way in.

Either way there was somebody overpaid to do a study that said that's what the people want.

kc7jty
12-02-2010, 10:13 PM
And if they don't want it their minds (ha ha) can be easily persuaded to come around to the correct way of thinking.

N7RJD
12-02-2010, 10:55 PM
And if they don't want it their minds (ha ha) can be easily persuaded to come around to the correct way of thinking.

Exactly. It's so nice to have big business around to decide what we want.
I was afraid I might have to think for myself. Then there's companies like
Microsoft that decide what you want and then make you click yes twenty
times when it keeps asking you if you're sure you want to do what you just
told the thing to do.

KA5PIU
12-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Hello.

I found some really good butchers when I was busy and I am not all that bad myself.
But the Steak-O-Matic System is closed now, shall we say the beef was just a little too hot. ;)

NQ6U
12-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Then there's companies like
Microsoft that decide what you want and then make you click yes twenty
times when it keeps asking you if you're sure you want to do what you just
told the thing to do.

Or, it tries to out-think you by telling you that "you have unused icons on your desktop. Would you like Windows to remove them?" You click "No" and go back to work. Five minutes later, it asks you again, then again and again ad infinitum. Drives me nuts.

kc7jty
12-03-2010, 12:56 AM
http://ic2.pbase.com/g4/58/45558/3/59186125.carniceria_web_readychorizos.jpg
Carniceria Manny

KG4CGC
12-03-2010, 02:34 AM
http://ic2.pbase.com/g4/58/45558/3/59186125.carniceria_web_readychorizos.jpg
Carniceria Manny

Bull penis canes from FashionableCanes.com are not stretched over their supportive rod. They are naturally 36" long or longer, and the metal support within is virtually invisible. The organ is professionally cleaned, sterilized and treated using top-quality taxidermy techniques, so you can be sure that your unique penis cane is beautiful, safe and durable. When you own one of these pieces, you will know that you have the most individual walking cane that can be found. It also makes a perfect gift for the most shocking over-the-hill birthday present ever!
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/bull-cane.jpg

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Bull_Organ_Penis_Walking_Cane.html

(@^@)

NQ6U
12-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Bull penis canes from FashionableCanes.com are not stretched over their supportive rod. They are naturally 36" long or longer

Damn. That's nearly as big as mine.

kc7jty
12-03-2010, 02:47 AM
My luck I'd get busted for indecent exposure.

w2amr
12-03-2010, 12:10 PM
You mean our collective species has not really adapted past the hunter/gatherer days?Not according to Santachuck.:lol:

HUGH
12-04-2010, 12:30 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/3223893088_867c9f146d.jpg

This little shop is family-run by 3 generations and there's always free fat under the counter for those who want it. Presumably the fat is removed for those who don't want it.

kc7jty
12-04-2010, 07:11 PM
http://www.wchstv.com/abc/lessthanperfect/ericroberts.jpg

W3WN
12-05-2010, 01:08 AM
http://www.wchstv.com/abc/lessthanperfect/ericroberts.jpg

Funny, I was thinking of his sister when I saw that photo.

kc7jty
12-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Not hard to be thinking of his sister just about any time Ron.

WØTKX
12-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Boobies.

Just sayin'... :snicker:

http://store.offbeattreats.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/gummyboobs.jpg

http://bedroomrivalry.com/images/candy_boobs.jpg

KG4CGC
12-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Not according to Santachuck.:lol:Go eat a chuck of bacon. I hear it's brainfood.

W3WN
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Not hard to be thinking of his sister just about any time Ron.

Especially when she's dressed like Erin Brokovich.