PDA

View Full Version : AVG 2011

kc7jty
11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
This free AV kicks ass. It's regularly blocking threats, and always finds tracking cookies when I scan. Malwarebytes & Spybot never find anything any more (I always run AVG first). Good stuff.

NQ6U
11-29-2010, 02:04 PM
It also sucks up about a third of your CPU cycles.

kc7jty
11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
It has a user sensitive feature. When it's running I can't even tell.

suddenseer
11-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I have both, and have not found anything in a long time. I got that Ghostery add on for the browser. It supposedly blocks tracking cookies. I guess it works, I never seen the little ghost icon dance, or change color.

KJ3N
11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Malwarebytes & Spybot never find anything any more (I always run AVG first). Good stuff.

You don't have a laptop like the one that was dumped in my lap today.

Spybot is still running the scan I started around noon, and it's still not finished. The tally so far? Twenty-one trojans and 353 other "issues" that need to be eliminated. I'm not even 1/2 way through the scan.

Malwarebytes is next on the list to be run.

N1LAF
11-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Download and install VMware, install the operating system, install AVG and other sw, and save on USB disk.

Install and run internet browsers from the VM window.

IF an invasion was detected, simply delete the folder, and reload from USB disk.

Your system is safe.

N1LAF
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
More info at link: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/955923
http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2008/10/anti-virus-ques.html

KJ3N
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Download and install VMware, install the operating system, install AVG and other sw, and save on USB disk.

IF an invasion was detected, simply delete the folder, and reload from USB disk.

Your system is safe.

And the average Joe Sixpack is going to completely understand all of that and actually follow that advice. :bs: :bs:

What fscking planet do you live on? :wtf: :nuts: :lame:

N1LAF
11-29-2010, 07:32 PM
And the average Joe Sixpack is going to completely understand all of that and actually follow that advice. :bs: :bs:

What fscking planet do you live on? :wtf: :nuts: :lame:

Obviously a much more complex one that you are used to....
I know better not to underestimate those like Luke - smart guy really..
If you need help, just ask....

KJ3N
11-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Obviously a much more complex one that you are used to....
I know better not to underestimate those like Luke - smart guy really..
If you need help, just ask....

It's not my laptop, genius. :roll:

How about you pay attention for a change?

Nice :troll:

Still :lame:

WØTKX
11-29-2010, 07:38 PM
It's not about the customer, it's about being superior. :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9IrDH74CTM

http://www.atomicmonsters.com/images/angryredplanet.JPG

N1LAF
11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
It's not my laptop, genius. :roll:

How about you pay attention for a change?

Nice :troll:

Still :lame:

But you made the assumption that my post was directed to you, but it wasn't. I posted it after reading the first post by 'jty. If it was directed to you, I would have 'quoted' your post.

I understand your confusion now.

WØTKX
11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
If you had been paying further historical attention, Bill is not as much of a computer geek as many here...

But you are correct Paul, your way is superior. :bowdown:

KJ3N
11-29-2010, 07:44 PM
If you had been paying further historical attention, Bill is not as much of a computer geek as many here...

Only in his own mind.

WØTKX
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, besides all that... been having very good luck with the Panda "cloud" antivirus solution. Might subscribe to throw them a bone.

N1LAF
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Yeah, I may have posted without looking, but let me tell you that I am far from superior, most of you guys blow my doors off when it comes to networks, Linux, and stuff like that, so it is a work out for me to catch up. I'd rather be helpful, and I do share what I have and what I know, even it isn't much...

But if someone jumps on my case, I have the tendency to react, and maybe I should think before reacting.

WØTKX
11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Oh.

KJ3N
11-29-2010, 07:50 PM
.... maybe I should think before reacting.

Next thing you know, you'll be a Democrat.

WØTKX
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z3ufGB8q_b0/SfxHJ2aGCBI/AAAAAAAAAMo/MXCiUSgCtbw/s400/mustache-_0006_ned-flanders.jpg

N1LAF
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM

:shock:

kc7jty
11-30-2010, 01:10 AM
I got that Ghostery add on for the browser.

Tnx, can you recommend a site to download it from for firefox?

w6tmi
11-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I may have posted without looking, but let me tell you that I am far from superior, most of you guys blow my doors off when it comes to networks, Linux, and stuff like that, so it is a work out for me to catch up. I'd rather be helpful, and I do share what I have and what I know, even it isn't much...

But if someone jumps on my case, I have the tendency to react, and maybe I should think before reacting.

Ummm I dunno, looks like you gave decent advice, whether or not relevant to the fellow in question... and your shit was jumped on unfairly by someone that gets their techno epeen panties in a bunch.

PA5COR
11-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Re reading the thread, i agree.
Dang, did i write that?;)

Ummm I dunno, looks like you gave decent advice, whether or not relevant to the fellow in question... and your shit was jumped on unfairly by someone that gets their techno epeen panties in a bunch.

suddenseer
11-30-2010, 06:09 AM
Tnx, can you recommend a site to download it from for firefox?http://www.ghostery.com/ Or use the TOOLS/add ons function. I allow the update wizard to run. I have not had the memory leaks that have been mentioned. I am using a laptop with XP pro SP3. No updates, not junk. Runs great. It is hiding behind a hardware firewall. I use various on line tests that ping all ports, it has stayed stealthy so far. There is always a first time.

n6hcm
11-30-2010, 07:16 AM

Your system is safe.

even easier: set a rollback point on your VM. if your system gets compromised then just roll back to the rollback point.

N2NH
11-30-2010, 07:29 AM
But you made the assumption that my post was directed to you, but it wasn't. I posted it after reading the first post by 'jty. If it was directed to you, I would have 'quoted' your post.

I understand your confusion now.

I've had my suspicions for awhile now, but I'm pretty certain I know the problem. Can you look at this and tell me what you see Paul?

NSFW.

http://i55.tinypic.com/ofyn90.gif

N2NH
11-30-2010, 07:30 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/j8ekpg.jpg

KJ3N
11-30-2010, 09:53 AM

No, he gave useless advice to the average Joe Sixpack.

Paul seems to forget that the average computer user barely knows how to turn the machine on, let alone go through a convoluted procedure that they couldn't understand in the first place.

While his "solution" may be technically correct for a power user, it's useless to the average person. That's what he's been "jumped on" for. If you're going to offer advice, it needs to be appropriate to the end user, not just "technically superior". :roll:

WØTKX
11-30-2010, 10:05 AM
If you search VMware on IOMH, the topic has been evangelized repeatedly. Why?

http://gallery.webwhitenoise.com/albums/userpics/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

W0KCS
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Joe Sixpack here <raising hand>...

I've had good luck with basic AVG for the past couple of years, but the 2011 upgrade has slowed down my main PC's response time noticeably. On the dinosaur PC in my shack (eMachine from 1999 with slight mods), response time has come to almost a standstill. Nonetheless, I'll keep AVG 2011 on my main PC and search for a solution for the dinosaur. As I use the dinosaur rarely, I don't want to toss any money at it.

AVG's free, and I can't complain about that!

WØTKX
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I had the same hassle on my old tower running XP , and uninstalled AVG completely.

Reinstalled, and it was better, but still boggy. Uninstalled it, and switched to Avast free Version. Again!
Going back and forth between those two for a few years, Avast does not hog it down as much.

That's for now, current versions. Your experience may be different of course.

It's like "the browser wars".

W3MIV
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I have AVG (free) on one; Avast (pro) on three; and Avira Premium on one. Ironically, the free AVG is on a low-end Compaq laptop, but it does not seem to impede it any. I do not know what the xyl has on any of her three active Mac laptops (one just bought last month).

Friends see the outrageous number of computers around here and come to the erroneous conclusion that either I or the xyl know anything at all about them. We both know the applications we use, but if OBL came in with a baker's dozen of Saracens and demanded some technical explanation from me my ass would be history in a flash!

W0KCS
11-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm still running XP on all three PC's in the house, so that may be the issue. My wife's laptop is also clogged up something awful. Avast, you say?

I may uninstall AVG 2011 completely from the dinosaur. I only use it when hamming/SWL-ing and there's nothing on it I care about losing. Main PC's another story.

kc7jty
11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
http://www.ghostery.com/ Or use the TOOLS/add ons function. I allow the update wizard to run. I have not had the memory leaks that have been mentioned. I am using a laptop with XP pro SP3. No updates, not junk. Runs great. It is hiding behind a hardware firewall. I use various on line tests that ping all ports, it has stayed stealthy so far. There is always a first time.

Tnx

N1LAF
11-30-2010, 06:21 PM
even easier: set a rollback point on your VM. if your system gets compromised then just roll back to the rollback point.

And you are absolutely right when using VMware server. VMware player... don't think it has it, so copy to USB drive will have to do (or local hard drive). USB drive is portable.

N1LAF
11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
No, he gave useless advice to the average Joe Sixpack.

Paul seems to forget that the average computer user barely knows how to turn the machine on, let alone go through a convoluted procedure that they couldn't understand in the first place.

While his "solution" may be technically correct for a power user, it's useless to the average person. That's what he's been "jumped on" for. If you're going to offer advice, it needs to be appropriate to the end user, not just "technically superior". :roll:

Paul knows and understands that there are members here with all levels of computer knowledge and understanding. Paul knows that if this is a path Bill wants to take, all Bill has to do is ask one of the more knowledgeable users if he is not comfortable of going it alone. Paul also keeps in mind that if nothing is said, nothing is gained ... by anyone, and no opportunity. At least being mentioned, there is opportunity. Paul will not write off anyone, and not Bill either.

You may return to your six-pack now.

KJ3N
11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Paul knows and understands that there are members here with all levels of computer knowledge and understanding. Paul knows that if this is a path Bill wants to take, all Bill has to do is ask one of the more knowledgeable users if he is not comfortable of going it alone. Paul also keeps in mind that if nothing is said, nothing is gained ... by anyone, and no opportunity. At least being mentioned, there is opportunity. Paul will not write off anyone, and not Bill either.

You may return to your six-pack now.

Anybody got a smilie for Epic Fail? If so, please send to Paul. He needs it. :wall:

BTW, I don't drink beer. Once again.. :troll: :lame:

WØTKX
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KBtYG6BZrg

w6tmi
11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Re reading the thread, i agree.
Dang, did i write that?;)

ROFL! yea we don't agree much in polerticks. but anyone from the same country as arjen lucassen cant be all bad.. heh

kd8dey
11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
I had the same hassle on my old tower running XP , and uninstalled AVG completely.

Reinstalled, and it was better, but still boggy. Uninstalled it, and switched to Avast free Version. Again!
Going back and forth between those two for a few years, Avast does not hog it down as much.

That's for now, current versions. Your experience may be different of course.

It's like "the browser wars".

I've been using the free version of Avast for a couple of years now. I like the way they have a screen saver to scan for viruses while the computer is idle. also it doesn't hurt to turn off some of the protections that you are not using such as the I.M. shield if you don't use instant messaging or the P2p shield, network shield if you are not on a network, leaving on the file system, Mail, web, and behavior shields.

One of the things I DONT like about it is the large number of connections it establishes for updating etc if i look in comodo's active connections list.

W3WN
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
XP and Win2K users should definitely look at Avast! I've been running it for years with no problems.

You can still get version 4.8 for the older machines running Win2K, 98 (yes there are still some out there) or with memory issues. But the latest version is slick!

W0KCS
12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Removed AVG2011 from the Dinosaur, and it responded magnificently. I'm going to put Avast free version on it and see how it works.

KEWL!

ad4mg
12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Removed AVG2011 from the Dinosaur, and it responded magnificently. I'm going to put Avast free version on it and see how it works.

KEWL!
Avast works very well, and seems to use far fewer resources than AVG 2011, but, for some reason, it doesn't play well in a Windows 2000 environment. The first attempt at accessing any internet site on that machine (regardless of which browser) produces an error message from Avast, and a failure message in the browser. All subsequent connection attempts work just fine.

Anybody got a smilie for Epic Fail? If so, please send to Paul. He needs it.As to Paul's suggestion, I don't understand the excitement. It is a very good one for those possessing the necessary skill level. All the drama seems unnecessary. In the political forum, I frequently am a bit overwhelmed by some of the analysis and comment, as I don't devote my life to political history, but I don't make an ass of myself screaming and yelling about it all.

I guess it just doesn't matter to me if someone else has a bigger pee-pee than I ... :roll:

ad4mg
12-04-2010, 08:41 AM
BTW - I'm relocating this one to the computer questions forum.

kc7jty
12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
AVG 2011 is catching everything here. I'm keeping it.

VE7DCW
12-05-2010, 01:34 AM
I'm using AVG 2011 (ver.10.0.1170) as well.Although I'm impressed with what it catches,this new AVG version does seem to hog enough of the computer resources to deem my machine as a slug-o-matic! ..... I've never used Avast,but i'm almost tempted to give it a whirl if it stops the slug treatment my computer is giving me...... (Athlon XP 3200 2.2 ghz ....1 gig of ram) :-D

kc7jty
12-05-2010, 01:59 AM
When I was looking at Eric Roberts photos I got hit with malware that looked like a legit Firefox update.