PDA

View Full Version : If you build it... what are you going to put it in?

W3WN
11-28-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm just about done assembling parts for my upcoming transmatch project. Of course, at some point, I'm going to need something to put it in.

I asked on the Ten-Tec reflector if anyone had an old (empty) rig or tuner enclosure sitting around... and someone pointed me to this site: http://www.web-tronics.com/

Looks like a lot of neat stuff available, and all sorts of enclosures available http://www.web-tronics.com/emsermulstee.html .

It looks like a great resource. However, having been burnt before, I'm cautious... anyone on the Island ever deal with these guys before?

NQ6U
11-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Are you going to use that Collins roller inductor you bought at the hamfest?

W3WN
11-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Are you going to use that Collins roller inductor you bought at the hamfest?
At the moment... no, the "regular" one that I got at the same time is first up.

Interested in a trade?

NQ6U
11-28-2010, 11:21 PM
At the moment... no, the "regular" one that I got at the same time is first up.

Interested in a trade?

I don't know what I have that you'd want but, sure. What are you looking for?

KA5PIU
11-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Hello.

I had the very same trouble, and fixed it for good.
Anybody remember the old tube type portable radio where the chassis was nothing but a bit of sheet steel bent into a U?
The cabinet was a leather or wooden box that housed the radio.
On an AM radio the tuning capacitor would be mounted on top and give it that spacing with the speaker mounted next to it.
Well, yo can do very much the same thing.
For a box the cheap plastic electrical boxes work well.
Sheet steel is duct work metal.
Fold the sheet steel around itself to where you have tabs and attach a piece for a bottom to complete the box and you have a fairly strong chassis.
I can stamp out several dozen from just the leftover sheet metal at a commercial construction project of any size.
The equipment for bending the sheet metal is on the truck.
To make it look nice, put it in a wooden box that you finish, a quick job with sandpaper and stain will work wonders.
Use long shaft controls and plastic knobs like what you might have found in the 50's era and you have it made.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=chicken&_kw=knobs
I am noted for putting something extra in an otherwise solid state design.
2 connected in series will give a nice glow, started this as a ballast resistor box and audio amplifier for tube radios but have found it to be a very popular item.
http://www.ferrowatt.com/

NQ6U
11-29-2010, 02:34 AM
You have any use for a 2-pole, 21-throw rotary switch? I have one I bought for a tuner project I never built; NOS, probably Russian military surplus, still in the box wrapped in anti-corrosion paper. There's even a knob to go with it.

W3WN
11-29-2010, 10:57 PM
You have any use for a 2-pole, 21-throw rotary switch? I have one I bought for a tuner project I never built; NOS, probably Russian military surplus, still in the box wrapped in anti-corrosion paper. There's even a knob to go with it.

I wouldn't even know where to start with one of those. Feed it borscht? :evil:

Let me dwell on this a little.

NQ6U
11-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Let me see...I got an working Radio Shack 2m amp--5w in, 50w out. A spare dual band 2m-440 mag mount mobile antenna. Probably some other stuff if I think about for a while.

KA5PIU
12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Hello.

There is nothing wrong with Collins er Russian electronics.
The R-390 and KWM-2 (a) are available as original or perfect Soviet copy. ;)

NQ6U
12-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Hey, I got a brand-new Chinese telegraph key. Built like a freakin' tank. I'll throw that in to the deal too.

KG4CGC
12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey, I got a brand-new Chinese telegraph key. Built like a freakin' tank. I'll throw that in to the deal too.
But will that work in English?

W3WN
12-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I can't send CW in Chinese. Even if it sounds like it when I use my J-37.

NQ6U
12-03-2010, 01:01 AM
But will that work in English?

You becha, lound eye!

KG4CGC
12-03-2010, 02:05 AM
You becha, lound eye!
You eat fly'd lice! You too fat! You eat fly'd lice and vejtables!