PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Want to Buy a Repeater?

kd8dey
11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
One of the MOST Widely known repeaters in Amateur radio is up for sale

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250733811336#ht_500wt_1156

NQ6U
11-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Wow. It would be cool to buy it and put in a link to a repeater down this way. That would really piss off the locals.

W7XF
11-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Or buy it and move it off that site.

w2amr
11-28-2010, 04:16 AM
what? what?

n6hcm
11-28-2010, 04:41 AM

according to the t&c stipulated in the auction you can't do this for at least two years.

KA5PIU
11-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Hello.

The physical package itself is worth very little, I have 5 Motorola VHF repeaters complete with the duplexers and real Motorola controllers, taken out of service when a state agency went 800 MHz.
We will be retuning them for CAP as they are compliant with not only the new NTIA rules, but are P-25!
There were 38 sites across the state, each one with 8 VHF high repeaters per site.
We have 5 frequency pairs and 2 repeaters on each pair in service plus a backup at each site so there is absolutely no hurry whatsoever.
The local EM machine is actually 2 100% redundant machines, one on the North side and the other on the South side, all Motorola.

kb2vxa
11-28-2010, 10:02 AM
according to the t&c stipulated in the auction you can't do this for at least two years.

From the e-Pay ad:
"New owner must assume site lease with approximately 2 years to go and provide liability insurance to site owners.
Also included is the w6Nut call sign and the 435online.com domain name."

I don't see any mention of a prohibition on removing the repeater or the web site or both. What I see here is the opportunity for a commercial entity to do what the FCC failed to do and turn a nice profit after initial expenses are met.

KG4CGC
11-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Isn't there a nice church group out there with a ham member or two that would be interested in cleaning up Amateur radio?

suddenseer
11-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Counting cuss words per hour is a much bigger, more important ministry.

KA5PIU
11-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Hello.

Lets say you buy the repeater, now what?
By its very nature, you can not turn a profit.
If you remove the repeater and put it some place what have you gained? 1 spot on a commercial tower that may even limit you to what frequencies you may use? remember that commercial towers are sometimes very crowded, careful coordination is the order of the day.
In Houston, the tallest building is owned by a Saudi investment firm.
Harris county simply put up their Motorola trunking repeater system, assured by the Motorola rep that it was all fine.
That equipment was removed by federal marshals 6 months later, the lease was with the City of Houston for VHF and UHF channels, 800 MHz assignments were Nextel and GTE.
No 800 MHz, even law enforcement, already rented out.
NO amateur, no exceptions.

KG4CGC
11-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Counting cuss words per hour is a much bigger, more important ministry.
And spotting the peens and poopers.
Oops! Forgot about a half second of nip nip.

W3WN
11-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Is this for real? Sure seems that something is slightly, ah, off about this.

There's got to be more to the story... beyond the well known stories behind that infamous call and repeater pair.

ka8ncr
11-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm sure it comes with lids. It's the same kind of extras you get in many transactions; like herpes comes with a prostitute.

W3WN
11-28-2010, 05:55 PM
And spotting the peens and poopers.
Oops! Forgot about a half second of nip nip.

Are you trying to say that this repeater is the living embodiment of the Monty Python "wink wink nudge nudge say no more" skit?

The one that ends in... "what's it like?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7HycFnH26U

N8YX
11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
You can shut the 'NUT off but the illegals will go elsewhere and continue the game.

Riley put the kibosh to 14.313 and look what eventually replaced that.

KA5PIU
11-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Hello.

14.275 and K1MAN have been somewhat quiet.
14.313? still there.
But what some here do not understand is this.
As long as this is kept in a few designated places there really is no problem.
So the people in question will not earn the coveted ARRL golden operator award, ;) who cares?

W7XF
12-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Well... I'm on my way to 6-land.... In full quieting range of the .435 machine.
Should I say anything to ABNS??

N8YX
12-03-2010, 11:24 AM
A certain Leslie Neilson line comes to mind...

NQ6U
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM

She won't hear you--the .435 machine doesn't cover this far south.

You gonna get down here to S.D.?

W7XF
12-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Dunno Carlo... Dispatch is to Ontario right now.

KG4CGC
12-03-2010, 04:51 PM
El-Rancho Cucamonga!
It means, the raunchy cock mongers.

NQ6U
12-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Dunno Carlo... Dispatch is to Ontario right now.

Yeah, spent a lot of time going there when I was on the road. Maybe you'll experience the joys of the Ontario T/A...

Chances are you won't come down this way from Ontario unless you get dispatched to deadhead down to pick up a load at the border; the freight that goes from Riverside to S.D. is handled by local carriers. Swift does have a yard down here, though, so should it happen, send me a PM or something and we can try to meet up--either in person on on the air.

W7XF
12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Carl... I'm in San Pedro right now... listening to the lulz of the .435. Depending on what time they finish me here, I'm either going out I 10 or down to SD and across I 8. (the later it gets in the afternoon, the higher likelihood of taking 8.) If I head that way, I'll lurk on the 146.640.

WØTKX
12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Bidding has ended, there were no bids. Lulzy comments:

Questions from other members : 147.435 w6Nut Amateur Radio Repeater

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/x.gif

Q: I heard you talking about using the money for a new Cooper Mini...would you consider trading the repeater for something like that? Say a pair of Zircon Encrusted Tweezers? Nov-29-10

A: I've always wanted a pair of Zircon encrusted tweezers but could never find them, let me think about it and I'll let you know.

Q: Why is there no listing number for this listing? Nov-29-10
A: The listing is #250733811336

Q: I would like to speak with you via telephone or email immediately regarding this auction. My name is Laura Smith and I am the Special Counsel in charge of amateur enforcement at the FCC. My email contact information at work is: laura.smith@fcc.gov and my telephone number is 717-338-2577. I expect a call or email immediately. You MAY NOT sell a call sign and I expect that information to be fixed on your listing immediately or I will contact Ebay and have the listing pulled. Nov-29-10
A: Good luck.

Q: Do you care what happens to the machine after it's sold? Meaning do u care if it is no longer online? Can it be picked up and moved? Nov-28-10
A: If you buy the repeater, it is your to do with as you please and my opinion shouldn't be a factor. The repeater can be moved or taken off the air completely however you must assume the existing site lease by signing a lease agreement for the remaining 24 (approx.) months.

Q: Are all the cast of characters included in this package deal? Nov-28-10
A: Yes! All the retards come free of charge, weeeeeeeeee!

Q: Uh, excuse me, but just how are you planning to sell the call sign?? K4ZDH Nov-28-10
A: The w6Nut call sign is not "for sale". I believe I can transfer it to the new repeater owner since it is a club call sign.

Q: How much is monthly site rent please Nov-27-10
A: $150.00 per month. The user base is pretty good about helping to cover that expense.

NQ6U
12-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Well, I talked to Kevin, W7FX, on 2m for a half-hour via the 146.640 machine up on Otay* Mountain . Bagged another one for my WAI (Worked All Islanders).

* Pronounced "Oh-tie". No, I don't know why.

N8YX
12-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Looks like the repeater was sold and will be moved closer to the new owner's QTH.

Things are going to get interesting...

WØTKX
12-07-2010, 02:59 PM
And Laura is listening. ;)

N8YX
12-07-2010, 03:11 PM
And Laura is listening. ;)
For what it's worth, Laura needs to get her backside down to 75M and deal with the ongoing (multi-year, multi-individual) QRMing of the Marconi Net.

I counted over half a dozen unique jammers during Saturday evening's installment.

Of course...there is a good possibility that the activities of Fred and his merrye band of cohorts happen to go against the prevailing Washington wind, hence their "tolerance" of the jamming activities. Once upon a time, one of the Liberty Net crew expressed some interesting observations regarding interference to their operations...which may or may not be found in the DejaNews archives.

W7XF
12-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, I talked to Kevin, W7XF, on 2m for a half-hour via the 146.640 machine up on Otay* Mountain . Bagged another one for my WAI (Worked All Islanders).

* Pronounced "Oh-tie". No, I don't know why.
Fixed for you, Carl!

NQ6U
12-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Fixed for you, Carl!

Thansk. I gte all dyslexic sometimes.