PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Friends...

W3MIV
11-26-2010, 04:13 PM
I am new to the Facebook scene. I am still trying to figure many things out. One of those things is how the FB system tracks me and puts me together with recommendations they sometimes seem to pull out of their cyber-ass.

Some few I know. Some more are friends of friends I know. A bunch are kids of friends of mine, and friends of the kids -- none of whom do I know. I only know the little I know by having done a minimal amount of research into the FB pages of these "someones" I may allegedly know. Weird. Many, furthermore, are folks I have never heard of and don't seem to have any link with me, however remote, and they are distributed over a very wide range of the country.

Today, I noticed a "someone you may know" listing for Fred Lloyd.

If ever there were an illustration of how easily the gummint might run us down one by desperate one and pin us to cards like an eight year-old's collection of beetles, this FB thing is kind of interesting. On the one hand, it shows the positive power of the internet; on the other, however, it can definitely be creepy.

My FB jury is still sequestered.

WØTKX
11-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm there, because of family and friends pestering me. But I stay pretty inactive.

I let my Farm-Ville plot go to rot... I got a lot of spam from that.

W4GPL
11-26-2010, 05:15 PM
:lol: The friend suggestions often freak me out too. It's important to remember that the Fred Lloyd suggestion could have just as easily been presented from his address book/buddy lists. If you've ever communicated with him and he allowed Facebook to access his info, that's almost certainly where such a suggestion could have come from. The other unknowns are likely just friends of friends or people who have like minded interests that you presented to FB.

N2CHX
11-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't even pay attention to the friend suggestions.

W2NAP
11-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't even pay attention to the friend suggestions.

me ether. unless i see someone I actually know and has talked to IRL/Radio/on the net.

w0aew
11-26-2010, 05:56 PM
It seems that eventually everyone will be connected to everyone else, rendering the whole thing pretty silly.

kc7jty
11-26-2010, 06:14 PM
ROGER on the gvt using this or similar to track us! The whole thing is creepy as hell. I use an alias there and still I'm found by people I haven't seen for over 40 years.
A woman I knew in high school came onto me (with my alias) like we never spent any time apart.
I researched a gal I knew in grade school on Google and now all kinds of come on's using her name are coming outta the woodwork.

My youngest daughter probably wouldn't have a problem with my avant garde activities on line but the older one might be rubbed the wrong way.

Another tool to control us?

KJ3N
11-26-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm there, because of family and friends pestering me.

Her family dragged me into it as well. :roll:

Now, I've got people as "friends" because I play a couple of the games on FB. I've been purging game apps lately with the eventual goal of shedding most of these people from my friends list.

I find most of the postings on FB to be some of the most mundane, narcissistic, BS I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. I don't really give a shit about you going to this mall, or that hairdresser, or what your kids did today, or what new cell phone you just got, etc. :roll:

They could shut FB down tomorrow and I doubt if I would really notice. :bfd:

W3MIV
11-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I find most of the postings on FB to be some of the most mundane, narcissistic, BS I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

It does say more about FB users than many of them might realize. Or appreciate.

But we could say the same thing about QRZ.

Or even here.

As to the gummint tracking us, I have the distinct impression that when first I went on the internet (in 1986, using CompuServe and the few Unix commands I was able to master) I began leaving an indelible series of footfalls in cyberspace that have been the proverbial bread crumbs dropped in the forest.

It is too late to worry about it any longer. If they want any of us, we aren't really all that hard to find, aliases and pseudonyms notwithstanding.

It's all Al Bore's fault.

kb2vxa
11-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Face Book is a DARPA invention. Sara Palin is on Face Book, does that tell you something? Palin is a code word for a little Google eyed geek in the DARPA computer room. Geographically inaccurate but for a good reason...

The eyes of Texas are upon you
All the live long day
And you cannot get away

Do not think you can escape them
From night till early in the morn
Till Gabriel blows his horn

All the live long day
And you cannot get away

WØTKX
11-26-2010, 07:52 PM
^^^^ Moar! :rofl:

NQ6U
11-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Face Book is a DARPA invention. Sara Palin is on Face Book, does that tell you something? Palin is a code word for a little Google eyed geek in the DARPA computer room. Geographically inaccurate but for a good reason...

All the live long day
And you cannot get away

All the live long day
And you cannot get away

You forgot "You can run, but you can't hide."

VE7DCW
11-27-2010, 12:28 AM
I found out that for some strange reason.....**POOF**... I suddenly had a FB thing I never even joined..... damn thing seems to have taken on a life of it's own,people want to be my "friends",people I don't even know.....

Damn Facebook sends me "activity reports" to my e-mail account saying i've been "poked" sent virtual ballons,friend requests etc.

All Facebook equates to me as nothing but malicious software,but,thats just me... :wtf:

W4RLR
11-27-2010, 12:42 AM
No problems with Facebook, but I have people I don't know wanting to connect to me via my barely used Twitter account (my call sign).

The government knows where I am at all of the time. As long as my direct deposit is made on the first day of the month and the second Wednesday of every month, I'm fine with that. They already have my DNA, I'm known to the FBI, the TSA, the FCC, and various other alphabet agencies.

Right now I'm using a government network to post this, as I am QRV to Joint Base San Antonio, and parked at the Lackland FamCamp. So this missive is no doubt being stored on a government server for later retrieval and analysis.

Ask me if I give a flying fart.

NQ6U
11-27-2010, 01:50 AM
^^^^ Moar! :rofl:

Damn! I was gonna use that same photo as my avatar, but not until a little closer to x-mas. Now I gotta find another one...

kc7jty
11-27-2010, 04:34 AM
My alias on FB is a UT in NC. Back when I had MY photo as my user pic I still got people who knew me in NC.

kf0rt
11-27-2010, 08:21 AM
My alias on FB is a UT in NC.

:rofl::agree:

W3MIV
11-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Gadzoooooooks! I just had a popup of "some people you might know" that include one Ryan J.

Oooooooooh, the irony of this stuff.

WX7P
11-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Gadzoooooooks! I just had a popup of "some people you might know" that include one Ryan J.

eeewwww. Take a bath.

kb2vxa
11-28-2010, 02:26 PM
"You forgot "You can run, but you can't hide."
Not quite the title but this fits better.
"Moar!"
By your command.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_UT2otAkrI

W1GUH
11-29-2010, 09:35 AM

If you find happiness on Facebook, Albi, I might reconsider my outright refusal to even be aware that something like Facebook even exists. It's the bubble-gum segment of the internet, or maybe the teeny-bopper section. You have your reasons to be on Facebook - just let me know if you find the time spent in that cesspool of popularity worthwhile!

OTOH, you mentioned that you realized very early that any foray onto the internet was being "watched." And that didn't deter you. Good going! Most of us on campus during the late 60's had an expression, "If the FBI doesn't have a file on you, why not?"

Making up for lost time?