PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday!

KA5PIU
11-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Hello.

it is not even midnight and there are hundreds of shoppers all lined up for the bargains to be at the local WalMart!
I was told that clearly they already have more shoppers than items.
But will they wait it out?
Will the lines get larger?

NQ6U
11-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Go down there and report back to us, soldier. Ten-HUT!

AA8AE
11-26-2010, 05:07 AM
:angry:I saw the ad on TV just after midnite. The electronics sale starts at 5:00 AM. Wish I could have gone, Last Tuesday I was stopped dead in traffic on the expressway and a nice Gentelman saw fit to rear-end me at 50mph. Going to spend part of Black Friday at the Ford Dealer getting a Pickup instead!

N2CHX
11-26-2010, 08:29 AM
No black Friday sale-hopping for me. I hate crowds. I mean, I HATE crowds. I'll gladly pay the $50 convenience fee for not having to deal with crowds of rude shoppers. Besides, I don't buy a lot. Most of my shopping for the holidays is done at Borders and Barnes & Noble anyway.

kb2crk
11-26-2010, 08:35 AM
i have never gone out on black friday. i find it insane to wait in line for hours to find out that they sold out of what you wanted to get just before you got to it. most of the sales are the same after black friday and to pay a little more not to go out and deal with the crazies is well worth it. i will be avoiding wal mart as much as possible this year.

kf0rt
11-26-2010, 09:18 AM
"If UPS won't bring it, you ain't gettin' it."

(I luvs teh intarwebs. :snicker::yes:)

W4GPL
11-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't get the feeding frenzy. I refuse to fall into the trap of buying presents for everyone under the sun. My only real concern is making sure I get my nephew something fun/memorable and I leave it at that. Then if I stumble into something really thoughtful for someone that I know they really need/want, I'll pick that up too. I simply won't buy something for someone just because commercial jingle writers tell me so. Maybe that makes me a scrooge, if so.. bah humbug. I'd sooner give $20 in someone's name to Second Harvest Food Bank. :dunno:

There is nothing than wandering around the liquor store on Christmas Eve looking for a bottle of wine to buy the aunt & uncle. Nothing says "you're related to me, but I really know nothing about you" than a $25 bottle of wine.

I'd like to take advantage of some of these low prices on LCD TVs though, but that'll be my gift to myself. ;) And if the deals don't exist in a week or two, so be it..

KA5PIU
11-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Hello.

$25 for a bottle of booze?
I get these Salvation Army coupons, one night plus meals.
Or a bottle of MD-2020, can be had for under $5!
I also have the call from jail cards, only one per inmate! right on the card.
For the females I have the Nuevo Laredo business kit, the blank forms to apply for the health card and police check and occupation license.
I can make holiday shopping a JOY!

kf0rt
11-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Black Friday myths:
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/debunking_the_biggest_black_fr.html

W4GPL
11-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Black Friday myths:
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/11/debunking_the_biggest_black_fr.html• Black Friday is the best day to get a deal on a TV. It wouldn't be Black Friday without a mad scramble for absurdly large televisions, but that's if you want an off-brand television. Likely, the weeks after the post-Thanksgiving rush are the best time for deals on good TVs.

That's encouraging. :) I didn't see anything specific I wanted, I just know the prices seem pretty decent and I have a first generation LCD on its last legs. So now seems like as good of a time as any.. NewEgg seems to have the best prices and I have mad respect for their customer service policies.

kf0rt
11-26-2010, 10:24 AM
• Black Friday is the best day to get a deal on a TV. It wouldn't be Black Friday without a mad scramble for absurdly large televisions, but that's if you want an off-brand television. Likely, the weeks after the post-Thanksgiving rush are the best time for deals on good TVs.

That's encouraging. :) I didn't see anything specific I wanted, I just know the prices seem pretty decent and I have a first generation LCD on its last legs. So now seems like as good of a time as any.. NewEgg seems to have the best prices and I have mad respect for their customer service policies.

Free shipping and no taxes. :)
For us in CO, I've noticed that Amazon and eBay (!) are now charging sales tax. Newegg still doesn't, but on their invoice, they point you here so you can tax yourself:
http://www.newegg.com/Info/TaxMessage.aspx

Funny... when you go to the Colorado site, there's nothing there about how to do it.

W3WN
11-26-2010, 11:35 AM
My wife's uncle (N3SRC(SK)) passed away after a long illness right before Thanksgiving a few years back. The funeral was set for Black Friday... in large part because most of the family from out of town was planning to be in town for the holiday anway.

Of course, I was scheduled to work that day. And no, not even for a funeral would Home De$pot let me take the day off. But they were "nice" enought to let me come in at 5 am to open the store, leave for the funeral at 9 (had to go home and change), and let me come back in to finish my shift after the services etc.

I worked the afternoon in my suit. Well, most of it, I did take the jacket off, but I left the shirt and tie on. I heard about THAT from Art, the assistant store manager for weeks. (Three guesses as to who didn't want me to take any time off at all, and the first two don't count). He felt I was showing him up by dressing that way... I kept reminding him that I didn't want to take another hour to go home and change; in retrospect, I should have.

I had put in for a department manager position at the time. I didn't get the position. When I was told, Art informed me that in terms of capabilities, both me and the other guy were about equal, if anything I was a little better. But it seems that my taking off on the middle of Black Friday was an unforgivable transgression...

W4GPL
11-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Free shipping and no taxes. :)
For us in CO, I've noticed that Amazon and eBay (!) are now charging sales tax. Newegg still doesn't, but on their invoice, they point you here so you can tax yourself:
http://www.newegg.com/Info/TaxMessage.aspx

Funny... when you go to the Colorado site, there's nothing there about how to do it.Hrm. I hadn't noticed that, I'm not much of a consumer all in all -- 99% of everything I purchase is from Target or Albertsons, maybe the Cherry Creek Mall if I need something nice to wear. :) Is that because Amazon and eBay has a presence in CO or is there some sort of law that I'm not aware of?

kf0rt
11-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Hrm. I hadn't noticed that, I'm not much of a consumer all in all -- 99% of everything I purchase is from Target or Albertsons, maybe the Cherry Creek Mall if I need something nice to wear. :) Is that because Amazon and eBay has a presence in CO or is there some sort of law that I'm not aware of?

Just researching a bit...

CO House Bill 1193:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/B30F574193882B4B872576A80026BE0C?Open&file=1193_enr.pdf

This basically closes the sales tax loophole on Internet sales. If the retailer doesn't collect the tax, they have to inform you that it's your responsibility AND they have to send you a statement by January 31st of the next year showing how much taxable purchasing you did. Betcha there'll be a new line on the 2010 income tax forms for this.

Signed by the Gov last February, law went into effect March 1 this year.

W7XF
11-26-2010, 12:07 PM
But, do they report your purchases to the state?

kf0rt
11-26-2010, 12:10 PM
But, do they report your purchases to the state?

According to the law, they have to.

W4GPL
11-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Hrm. News to me.. I'll be curious to see how well that's enforced.