PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Firefox...

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm about tired of it (but it's soooo good!).

I'm pretty convinced Firefox has a caching issue. The longer you run it, the more memory it eats and the slower it gets. I've seen times where it slows to a crawl and Task Manager shows it using upwards of 2 Gig of RAM. Shut it down and restart it, everything's fine. Even then, it can take a minute or two to shut down. Doesn't FEEL like a memory leak.

This gets worse if you're playing on photo sites where it's caching a lot of images. On a mostly text site (like HamIsland forums), you can go a long time. I see this on both Win7 and XP.

Anyone know of a secret cure, or is it time to give IE 8 a shot? Mostly, what I love about Firefox is the bookmarks toolbar and the bookmarks in the Google toolbar, which travel with your Google account. Chrome doesn't support the Google toolbar? WTF?

KG4CGC
11-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Chrome doesn't support the Google toolbar?
Google Toolbar is considered a virus by most bleeding edge surfers.

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Google Toolbar is considered a virus by most bleeding edge surfers.

Really? Must admit, the only part of it I use is the traveling bookmarks. I keep the page rank stuff turned off, etc., but don't consider myhuck to be a surfer extraordinaire.

WØTKX
11-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Especially if you leave a bunch of tabs open... just sitting for a few hours, and it's hogged all the RAM.

It's why I use Chrome a lot, but looking around, we are not the only ones. Not tried yet, I downloaded this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/53880/

Home website: http://www.browsermemory.com/?page_id=28

NQ6U
11-25-2010, 09:44 PM
I use Chrome on my Windows machine and I like it--small, fast, and it uses the WebKit rendering engine which is under constant maintenance by Apple.

n6hcm
11-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Really? Must admit, the only part of it I use is the traveling bookmarks. I keep the page rank stuff turned off, etc., but don't consider myhuck to be a surfer extraordinaire.

that's built into chrome--don't need no stinkin' toolbar for that. works x-platform, too (haven't tried it on linux yet, tho).

WØTKX
11-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Whatcher Java Version Rob? I found out my Java Update has not been working correctly since the end of May, tho it acted like it was.

Updated mine, and I'm gonna open up 3 window with 10 tabs each, and see if it still screws up.

There is rhetoric about this on the Mozilla forums... :dunno:

KC2UGV
11-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Hm... Doesn't seem to be an issue on Linux. I leave FF open for days at a time, with no leaks.

WØTKX
11-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Correct. Windoze Sux, of course. The JRE re-install seems to have done the trick for me.

kf0rt
11-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Whatcher Java Version Rob? I found out my Java Update has not been working correctly since the end of May, tho it acted like it was.

Updated mine, and I'm gonna open up 3 window with 10 tabs each, and see if it still screws up.

There is rhetoric about this on the Mozilla forums... :dunno:

Looks like it was way out of date. I updated it to the latest, but no difference here... :dunno:

KC2UGV
11-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Correct. Windoze Sux, of course. The JRE re-install seems to have done the trick for me.

Generally, but not the point I was getting at. Narrowing down the issue, so to speak.

n2ize
12-02-2010, 08:30 PM
What platform ??

W4GPL
12-03-2010, 01:26 PM
I've been running the Firefox 4.0 beta for awhile now and I'm done (for now). Just too glitchy -- I know that's my fault for choosing to go with a beta, but I'm not going to bother reverting. I've switched to Chrome. I got everything working the way I like it, with the exception of the insistence that I use Google Reader over something built in via the browser. :dunno:

I have some privacy concerns with Chrome, but it's unfounded paranoia more than anything..

KC2UGV
12-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I've been running the Firefox 4.0 beta for awhile now and I'm done (for now). Just too glitchy -- I know that's my fault for choosing to go with a beta, but I'm not going to bother reverting. I've switched to Chrome. I got everything working the way I like it, with the exception of the insistence that I use Google Reader over something built in via the browser. :dunno:

I have some privacy concerns with Chrome, but it's unfounded paranoia more than anything..

I have only one fault with Chrome:

In firefox, I can add an RSS feed to my bookmarks, and it "pretends" to be a folder in my bookmarks. It expands, and shows me the most recent feeds. I live by that feature.

Chrome doesn't do that :(

I also don't like the fact it doesn't "skin" well with the rest of the desktop. Gives a jarring experience whenever I use it. Other than those two things (One major, one very minor) it's a fantastic browser.

W4GPL
12-03-2010, 01:53 PM
In firefox, I can add an RSS feed to my bookmarks, and it "pretends" to be a folder in my bookmarks. It expands, and shows me the most recent feeds. I live by that feature.
doesn't "skin" well with the rest of the desktop. Gives a jarring experience whenever I use it. Other than those two things (One major, one very minor) it's a fantastic browser.Yeah, this is annoying me too. I thought I found an extension that would do the job, but it doesn't seem to work as advertised.

W4GPL
12-03-2010, 02:11 PM
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/pnjaodmkngahhkoihejjehlcdlnohgmp

This looks somewhat promising.

W4GPL
12-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Another minor Chrome annoyance.. I have Firefox set to delete all cookies when the browser closes, except for the ones I choose to keep. I don't seem to be able to do this with Chrome.

Edit: Also, is it just me, or does something seem funky with the font smoothing?

kf0rt
12-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Hm... Doesn't seem to be an issue on Linux. I leave FF open for days at a time, with no leaks.

(Getting back to this...)

I can do that too, if I'm spending most of my time on primarily text-based sites, like IOMH, where caching is is mostly a non-issue. Switch to a photo site like Flickr and after a couple hours (if that), FF is using upwards of 1.5 Gig of RAM. Been on here now for over an hour and a half and Task Mangler is showing about 318 Meg in use; running fine.

Gut feeling is that it's not a memory leak per se, but overaggressive caching. Can't prove that without some work and on the one Linux machine I use (a netbook), I'm never online long enough to see it.

W4GPL
12-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey bub, don't re-hijack the the thread I hijacked! ;)

kf0rt
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey bub, don't re-hijack the the thread I hijacked! ;)

I really need to spend some time with Chrome. Friggin' web appliance operator, I yam, and need to aspire to greater knowledge. :lol:

WØTKX
12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Well, I do admit to having a large cache configured on a different physical drive than the boot drive.
I use CoolIris, works better with a large cache. Some other common tweaks in about:config "land".

ka8ncr
12-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Another minor Chrome annoyance.. I have Firefox set to delete all cookies when the browser closes, except for the ones I choose to keep. I don't seem to be able to do this with Chrome.

Edit: Also, is it just me, or does something seem funky with the font smoothing?

You can do that. Not deleting cookies upon exit is a deal-breaker for me, which is why I didn't use it until that feature was included.

The extensions for Chrome are almost as good as Firefox.

KC2UGV
12-13-2010, 02:31 PM
(Getting back to this...)

I can do that too, if I'm spending most of my time on primarily text-based sites, like IOMH, where caching is is mostly a non-issue. Switch to a photo site like Flickr and after a couple hours (if that), FF is using upwards of 1.5 Gig of RAM. Been on here now for over an hour and a half and Task Mangler is showing about 318 Meg in use; running fine.

Gut feeling is that it's not a memory leak per se, but overaggressive caching. Can't prove that without some work and on the one Linux machine I use (a netbook), I'm never online long enough to see it.

You said using the Task Mangler, so I assume that's winderz? If so, try it out on the Linux boxen, and let me know. I'll test further, and if it truly is apparent on winderz and not Linux, I'll submit the bug tracker request. If it's on both, I'll still post the bug tracker.

W4GPL
12-13-2010, 03:14 PM
You can do that. Not deleting cookies upon exit is a deal-breaker for me, which is why I didn't use it until that feature was included. Maybe I'm just missing it, but how can I protect certain cookies? Like say hamisland.net.. ? I see the delete all upon exit, but not anything that allows me to protect them.

This issue remains the only reason I'm still using Firefox on a regular basis, if you have any insight on this, I'd love to hear more. Are you using the Chrome beta for Windows or the stable version?

kf0rt
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
You said using the Task Mangler, so I assume that's winderz? If so, try it out on the Linux boxen, and let me know. I'll test further, and if it truly is apparent on winderz and not Linux, I'll submit the bug tracker request. If it's on both, I'll still post the bug tracker.

Yeah, Win 7. I normally don't run the Linux machine long enough for the problem to show up, but maybe I could try it in a VM under Win 7 -- that'd prove the same point, right?

KC2UGV
12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, Win 7. I normally don't run the Linux machine long enough for the problem to show up, but maybe I could try it in a VM under Win 7 -- that'd prove the same point, right?

Yeah, VM/Physical would be the same thing (In this case). Make sure VM tools are loaded.

W4GPL
12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
I normally don't run the Linux machine long enough for the problem to show upWell, what's wrong with you? :P

kf0rt
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Well, what's wrong with you? :P

I'm plumb lazy when I ain't gettin' paid. :lol::yes:

kf0rt
03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Bringing this back from the dead.

Problem fixed in Firefox 11. About damn time. The bastids.

n2ize
03-30-2012, 09:51 AM

I mostly use Chrome or Opera (usually both simultaneously) and neither of those cause problems on Linux. Likewise, I occasionally use Firefox and often leave i open and running for hours and even days and have no problems...on Linux. On Windows I cannot say as I rarely use Windows.

I would imagine it would be possible to attach FF to a debugger on Windows and look for memory leaks. There must be some kind of debugger/mem leak tester that runs on Windows ??

I also just realized that this thread is obsolete.... dates back to 2010.

K7SGJ
03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
YOU ARE OBSOLETE

NA4BH
03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
YOU ARE OBSOLETE

That was on the other day. The dude jacked up Fearless Leader.

n2ize
03-31-2012, 10:20 AM
That was a great episode. I like when the leader shows up at headquaters and the new leader declares ho...OBSOLETE !!

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Bringing this back from the dead.

Problem fixed in Firefox 11. About damn time. The bastids.

It was a nice few weeks. Problem is back in Firefox 12. The bastids.

ki4itv
05-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Still using Opera.
Like the Speed Dial feature, perfect for a lazy-ass like myself.
Just an appliance operator and liken it to a glowing toaster that might have you beating the table every now and again.

n2ize
05-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Still using Opera.
Like the Speed Dial feature, perfect for a lazy-ass like myself.
Just an appliance operator and liken it to a glowing toaster that might have you beating the table every now and again.

I use Opera and Chrome. I like both. For some things I prefer Opera to Chrome and vice versa for other things. I usually keep both browsers up and running on my desktop. I also like the "speed dial" feature in Opera..

I occasionally use Firefox. On Linux it runs great, no memory leaks, no problems. However, I still prefer Opera and Chrome.

W1GUH
05-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Given Google's aggressive messing with my computer without notifying me (like adding their toolbar even tho' I said NO!, I steer clear of most of their stuff. They really messed up my FF browser once - took a while to restore. I only use Chrome now when I'm in a hotel & the server doesn't like my settings in FF. But once I connect with Chrome it's right back to FF. Never had a reason not to like it.

TESLA
05-07-2012, 10:18 AM
I use Opera and Chrome. I like both. For some things I prefer Opera to Chrome and vice versa for other things. I usually keep both browsers up and running on my desktop. I also like the "speed dial" feature in Opera..

I still prefer Opera and Chrome.

I could have written this, exactly what I do except I dislike FF and will never use IE unless forced to (banking)

KB3LAZ
05-07-2012, 01:35 PM
You dont need Opera for speed dial.

n2ize
05-08-2012, 05:37 AM

Yeah, I know.but I use it for other reasons as well.

ki4itv
05-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Did I mention that I've been married to the same woman for 20 yrs, drive a 11yr old truck, and breaking my favorite coffee cup would most likely lead to a total grief stricken meltdown?
:yes:

n2ize
05-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Given Google's aggressive messing with my computer without notifying me (like adding their toolbar even tho' I said NO!, I steer clear of most of their stuff. They really messed up my FF browser once - took a while to restore.

Hmmm... that is strange. My experiences with Chrome have been exactly the opposite. Chrome never installed anything without my permission nor has it ever messed with any configurations on my system. It pretty much runs in a sandbox and keeps itself isolated from everything else.

I only use Chrome now when I'm in a hotel & the server doesn't like my settings in FF. But once I connect with Chrome it's right back to FF. Never had a reason not to like it.

I don;t understand, why would you need a specific browser to connect ? Don't the hotel networks assign you an ip address and connection via DHCP ? When my Mom was staying at the hospital we brought her laptop computer for her to use and getting an internet connection was a cinch. The network manager shows a list of networks, you click on the hospitals server that is used for the patients and visitors and viola' you are connected and you can use whatever your favorite browser is, once you agree to the hospital's TOS. Perhaps hotels do it differently.

kf0rt
05-08-2012, 07:10 AM
How come Chrome doesn't support Google toolbar? That just seems weird to me.

KB3LAZ
05-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Did I mention that I've been married to the same woman for 20 yrs, drive a 11yr old truck, and breaking my favorite coffee cup would most likely lead to a total grief stricken meltdown?
:yes:

I understand. I too do not like to part with things that I am comfortable with. Same reason I still use FF. I have been using it for as long as I can remember.

KC2UGV
05-08-2012, 07:52 AM
How come Chrome doesn't support Google toolbar? That just seems weird to me.

Don't need it. The address bar is the google tool bar :)

kf0rt
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Don't need it. The address bar is the google tool bar :)

The Google toolbar in FF supports cloud-based bookmarks. Bookmark something at work and it's automagically there at home, too. This is the functionality I'm after and it's implemented really well in Google toolbar. I'm not seeing a way to access it in Chrome.

KC2UGV
05-08-2012, 10:41 AM
The Google toolbar in FF supports cloud-based bookmarks. Bookmark something at work and it's automagically there at home, too. This is the functionality I'm after and it's implemented really well in Google toolbar. I'm not seeing a way to access it in Chrome.

Click on the Wrench, Put a tick in "Always Show Bookmark Bar". Sign into Google with Chrome. Viola! And, make sure you are signed in on wherever your Chrome browser is.

Also, it syncs the "Frequently visited" sites, along with extensions.

W1GUH
05-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Hmmm... that is strange. My experiences with Chrome have been exactly the opposite. Chrome never installed anything without my permission nor has it ever messed with any configurations on my system. It pretty much runs in a sandbox and keeps itself isolated from everything else.

I don;t understand, why would you need a specific browser to connect ? Don't the hotel networks assign you an ip address and connection via DHCP ? When my Mom was staying at the hospital we brought her laptop computer for her to use and getting an internet connection was a cinch. The network manager shows a list of networks, you click on the hospitals server that is used for the patients and visitors and viola' you are connected and you can use whatever your favorite browser is, once you agree to the hospital's TOS. Perhaps hotels do it differently.

Just reportin' what happened. Had no interest in learning how or why. Wish it didn't happen -- used to love Google. Now...I'm not so sure they're entirely benign. They've maybe become way too big and powerful* to trust?

*Speaking of power and Google (maybe a bad pun)...saw a show about the amount of electricity Google uses for their processing/data farms. Whew! They've got whole dedicated substations for their power.

kf0rt
05-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Click on the Wrench, Put a tick in "Always Show Bookmark Bar". Sign into Google with Chrome. Viola! And, make sure you are signed in on wherever your Chrome browser is.

Also, it syncs the "Frequently visited" sites, along with extensions.

Wrong bookmarks.

That works, but gives me the graphical bookmarks. The Google toolbar bookmarks allows you to do hundreds/thousands all organized in folders and easy to manage.

Looks like the Chrome bookmark manager may do this -- have to play some more...