PDA

View Full Version : Flash update - weird youtube color artifacts

N2CHX
11-24-2010, 07:45 AM
I haven't checked my Windows netbook to see what it looks like yet, but I noticed yesterday that on youtube, videos have this weird blocky, puky green color artifact ever since flash updated in Ubuntu 10.04 the other day.

Anyone else have this happening?

WØTKX
11-24-2010, 09:57 AM
I saw that the other day in Chrome, then checked IE and it was messed up too. Then I checked my connection speeds, and they were really erratic, and slow. Downloaded the vid (by pausing it), and then I could watch it. Walked outside with my notebook and hooked up to a neighbors WiFi (I set it up for her) which is fed by Qwest DSL and not Comcast, and it was fine. :dunno:

Cleared up in a couple of hours, the trouble here was not Flash... I thought it might have been that as well. Data Streamus Interruptus?

N2CHX
11-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I'm on Roadrunner at home and Fios here at work. At home the connection is sometimes quirky but here it is solid. Youtube has been quirky jerky lately though, so maybe it's jut a youtube thing. The one thing the update did fix (thankfully!) was Flash eating up most of my processor speed and crashing randomly and often.

NQ6U
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I'm on Roadrunner at home and Fios here at work. At home the connection is sometimes quirky but here it is solid. Youtube has been quirky jerky lately though, so maybe it's jut a youtube thing. The one thing the update did fix (thankfully!) was Flash eating up most of my processor speed and crashing randomly and often.

I got so frustrated with Flash that I installed "ClickToFlash," which blocks all Flash content until I tell it to load. I also use YouTube's HTML 5 access whenever I can.

Steve Jobs is kind of a jerk but I think he's right when it comes to Adobe and Flash.

kb2vxa
11-24-2010, 01:14 PM
"Walked outside with my notebook and hooked up to a neighbors WiFi (I set it up for her) which is fed by Qwest DSL and not Comcast, and it was fine."
I've been having similar problems lately like Screw Joob getting ahead of itself and pausing, pages loading slow and the like but I chalked it up to server traffic not thinking it may be Cumcast. Then it died around 1:00am today so I gave up and went to bed figuring I'd deal with it later. On a whim I tried the connection when I got up and found it OK, everything appeared normal so I ran their "employees only" test and found my connection speed had doubled from what it was before the mess even started. Like the ads say "your actual mileage may vary" but in my case Comcast is the most reliable service I ever had but it seems it took a complete failure for them to notice the problem. (?)

"Steve Jobs is kind of a jerk but I think he's right when it comes to Adobe and Flash."
I don't know about you but I think he leans more toward A Doobie and Flesh Gordon.

KG4CGC
11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Cyber Warfare from NK.

ad4mg
11-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Flash-Aid is a nice Firefox add-on that helps sort out problems with this sort of thing.