PDA

View Full Version : If you're over 55 or so...

NQ6U
11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
...I'll bet you remember where you were on this day 47 years ago.

W1GUH
11-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Of course we do.

Interestingly, it's been reported and, I think, verified, that when George H.W. Bush was asked where he was on this day, his response was, "I don't remember."

NQ6U
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Interestingly, it's been reported and, I think, verified, that when George H.W. Bush was asked where he was on this day, his response was, "I don't remember."

He was probably drunk. Yeah, I know, he was only 17 at the time, but he started in early.

W1GUH
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Not that Bush, his father.

NQ6U
11-22-2010, 03:45 PM
H.W. Bush, duh.

He remembers, he's just using his 5th Amendment right not to incriminate himself.

W1GUH
11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I'll document this when I get home...but, yeah, it would almost appear to be that way.

WØTKX
11-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I was in school, like many, I cried... and in many ways it upsets me more, because of what's happening now.
My awareness of things as a child... I heard adults saying bad things about Kennedy. And then he was killed.

http://obscurantist.com/images/welcome-to-dallas.jpeg

KG4CGC
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
H.W. Bush, duh.

He remembers, he's just using his 5th Amendment right not to incriminate himself.
Was a covert op with the CIA. He built up his career and eventually became the largest importer of heroin for weapons the US had seen to date.

n2ize
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Incidentally, when Kennedy was running against Nixon for the presideency my dad asked me who I amk going to vote for, Kennedy or Nixon. Without hesitation I said...Nixon. I was 5 or 6 then but even back then I was a republican.

Okay the day of the incident I was sitting in my 1st grade classroom. We were doing our word charts. For some strange reasons I happened to think of Kennedy and the presidency, a thought that would rarely cross my mind at that age. My Mom happened to be helping out at the school that day and they called me into the principals office because my Mom had brought something that I needed for school that day that I forgot at home. When i went into the principals office they had a TV set on and the news was coming over that the president was just shot. It was quite chilling. A few moments later they announced the news to the class and, since it was a Catholic school, we had to say a prayer.

NQ6U
11-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I was at school, Mrs. Kellogg's 4th grade class. We'd just come in from recess when we got the news. Of course, the lesson plan went out the window and the rest of the day was devoted to following the news on the TV. I remember going home for lunch (I lived only couple of blocks from the school) and seeing my mother in tears, saying "he was so young..." Being only ten years old, that didn't make much sense to me. He was older than my dad and Dad was, as far as I was concerned, older than dirt. My father was 37 at the time.

N2CHX
11-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I was like -8 years old.

NQ6U
11-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I was like -8 years old.

You're just a baby...

Actually, you're about the same age as my stepdaughter.

WØTKX
11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50678837.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A148D0476ACA39632A18D4BE42278DDF1A9 C30E035F539114A0B01E70F2B3269972

N2CHX
11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
You're just a baby...

Most people think I'm early 30's. I'm good with that, lol.

N2CHX
11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50678837.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A148D0476ACA39632A18D4BE42278DDF1A9 C30E035F539114A0B01E70F2B3269972

No can see.

NA4BH
11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
You're just a baby...

Were you there when they made dirt? :lol: :lol:

PA5COR
11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Home, ready for eveing diner, then watching it on telly, black and white through the Telstar satellite.
Numbed.

N2CHX
11-22-2010, 04:52 PM
I was floating around in an ovary somewhere in Buffalo NY.

kc7jty
11-22-2010, 05:08 PM
black and white through the Telstar satellite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGhxayGDa5Q&feature=related

The nuns all started freakin and the school kids had to wonder what was going on for 20 mins before they finally told us.

N5RLR
11-22-2010, 05:08 PM
I was two months, two weeks, and two days old. Family legend has it that my father -- a staunch Republican and a retired Army sergeant -- wept at the news. No matter that the President was a Democrat, he was still Commander In Chief. :(

w0aew
11-22-2010, 05:19 PM
I lived in Dallas and was in Mrs. Roosa's 7th grade science class.

There was so much hatred in that very conservative town for Kennedy that when it was announced over the PA that the President had died, a couple of kids in another classroom nearby let out loud whoops of jubilation. Between the racism, commie chasing, and hatred of all things non-fascist, I was very glad to leave Dallas and Texas years later.

NQ6U
11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I was two months, two weeks, and two days old. Family legend has it that my father -- a staunch Republican and a retired Army sergeant -- wept at the news. No matter that the President was a Democrat, he was still Commander In Chief. :(

A more civilized era, Mike. I don't think the reaction would be the same now, and that's meant in a bi-partisan way. I don't think that Republicans would weep if Obama were shot, nor would Democrats have wept if G.W. Bush had been shot.

kc7jty
11-22-2010, 05:59 PM
nor would Democrats have wept if G.W. Bush had been shot.
nor apoliticals.

KA5PIU
11-22-2010, 07:17 PM
I lived in Dallas and was in Mrs. Roosa's 7th grade science class.

There was so much hatred in that very conservative town for Kennedy that when it was announced over the PA that the President had died, a couple of kids in another classroom nearby let out loud whoops of jubilation. Between the racism, commie chasing, and hatred of all things non-fascist, I was very glad to leave Dallas and Texas years later.

Hello.

Texas,,,,,,Little has changed.

W3MIV
11-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Hellzbellz, I feel like Methuselah. I was at work when the shooting happened. Once we heard what was going on, we tuned the AM radddio to news and sat transfixed == nobody thinking about lunch or anything for a long while. Then it was announced that JFK was dead. We all were stunned.

I went across the street to a sandwich shop run by a jovial woman univerally known as "Big Ann" -- and the moniker was amply justified. Ann was in tears, practically hysterical, while she tried to toss together BLTs and Clubs and sundries. I was patiently waiting when some guy came in behind me and loudly proclaimed: "Great news! It's about time somebody shot that Catholic SOB!" Ann went ballistic; she swung wildly with a ten-inch chef's knife just in front of me like an enraged Saracen about to neuter a few Crusaders. My life passed before my eyes as she told the guy she was about to "cut his f*cking gizzard out!" I honestly don't think she realized that I was just in front of her -- closest I came to a blade since the mohel made the unkindest cut.

The guy fled, of course, and Ann broke down. She never did finish my club or Chuck's BLT. She shooed us all out of the shop and locked up. I not only lost a president that day, but also my lunch.

WØTKX
11-22-2010, 07:33 PM
It was around these years that I realized that many adults were very, VERY wrong, and not to be trusted.

kf0rt
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
I was in the 2nd grade (I think). Learned about it in school and broke the news to my Mom when I went home for lunch.

Kind of interested in the theories, and there's still no real consensus. Maybe a mob hit, maybe an oil hit. Russ Baker's Family of Secrets talks about Bush connections. A (very) recent Playboy article talks about a mob hit.

Wonder if we'll ever know. It does seem like the simple answer from the Warren Commission has been pretty thoroughly debunked at this point.

W3MIV
11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Wonder if we'll ever know. It does seem like the simple answer from the Warren Commission has been pretty thoroughly debunked at this point.

No. Even if we do know, we'll never be permitted to know. The government, in their minds, can ill afford to be seen as so utterly feckless in the face of such an attack. We are still paying a price in the aftermath of 9/11, which is another cluster-f*ck that the government cannot admit the full extent of our culpability.

Ironically, by breaking away from Great Britain in the manner we did, we inherited inbred traditions of governance and governmental conduct that event the Brits have outgrown and discarded. Our executive is the closest thing to a monarch we can have -- excepting only a monarch in name as well as authority. That we "elect" some different face every so often does not detract in the least from the continuance of policy that reaches above and beyond mere party politics.

WØTKX
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
George Washington ferociously rejected the idea of being a King. To bad the recent namesake thought he was. We've returned to a form of corporate feudalism, and the Kings we get are even crazier than the inbred of yore.

Dem Neu Konigen still insist they have divine rights and powers, for they know better than the people. :bs:

Wise sages rule by example, not by force.

W7XF
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I was 2yrs 8mo 8days old on that fateful
day. Too young to fully grasp the gravity of the incident,
but vaguely remember watching TV when it came down.

W3WN
11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I was in First Grade in Irvington NJ (just outside Newark). I remember an announcement over the PA system that Kennedy had been shot. School was dismissed early, and by the time I walked home, the news was out that he had died.

K7SGJ
11-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I was in my 2nd year of high school when the news came over the PA. As I recall, all of the schools were closed for the next few days, as were most all of the businesses. All of the TV stations (four of them here) were only broadcasting information related to the events. I also remember watching Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald on live TV. It seemed that when Kennedy died, almost everything stopped, and everyone was mourning the loss. Everyone was literally in tears. I'm not sure what you call that "thing" that pulled everyone together at that time, but I think it is gone, and will never be seen again. It was a very sad day, indeed.

W1GUH
11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I was in my 11th grade Spanish class when the announcement came over the PA. At first, we didn't know the extent of things and mistakenly thought that Johnson, too, was shot. Soon the follow-up announcement came that LBJ was unhurt and the the president was dead. When the National Anthem came on, we all stood up in stunned silence. My after school job was selling newspapers in a hostpital and I sold out quickly that day; even had to call up for more papers. That was the only time I EVER saw that paper with EXTRA! on the front.

The rest of the weekend was spent is stunned mourning. I'll never forget the procession to the Capitol with that mournful drum cadence.