PDA

View Full Version : Linux User Groups

n2ize
11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Anyone here a member of any local Linux user groups (LUG's) in your local area ?

We have a couple but, one unfortunately thing I have noticed is that at every LUG there always seems to be one or two pompous "know it all" asses that seem to feel they are expert in everything, qualified to speak on everything, and , their word is the final word. The problem is that often they are wrong but will not only never admit it but will bash down others who are correct. Also, since they are often major players in the club or group they generally get away with their obnoxious behavior and are rarely taken to task.

This has landed itself largely to my keeping my distance from some of these groups. I wonder how many newbies have been put off by these select few pompous, self-righteous jerks that make the experience miserable for everyone.

Anyone else noticed this or is is a local phenomenon ? I've noticed the same sort of situation at other clubs too, such as ham radio clubs, repeater clubs, and even at some RC modeling clubs.

Reallly sad that a few egotists have to make things unpleasant for everyone. :(

NQ6U
11-22-2010, 02:53 PM
My experience has been that that's the case in pretty much every kind of technical club, computer user groups and amateur radio clubs included. I've let my membership lapse on all of mine now.

n2ize
11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
My experience has been that that's the case in pretty much every kind of technical club, computer user groups and amateur radio clubs included. I've let my membership lapse on all of mine now.

It's pretty sad. I can only imagine how many bright newbies have been discouraged by the "know it all" jerks that seem to take over all these clubs.

W2NAP
11-22-2010, 10:53 PM
assholes in every club it seems.

I personally never did the club thing, kinda like how i just dont do the repeaters around here

KC2UGV
11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm a member of WNYLUG, and we don't have one of those guys here, but in Buffalo HackerLab... Oh yeah. But, that's to be expected in a room of the brightest people in an area... It's like a room full of Ph.D's... One of them will be going on about their awards they've gotten, or where they've been published.