PDA

View Full Version : What a Difference !!

n2ize
11-22-2010, 01:51 AM
I just doubled the amount of RAM in this old Dell Dimension 4600 desktop tower and wow, dang thing runs so much better. Before this KDE ran slow as hell if more than 1 or 2 app windows were open. Changing screens looked like paint peeling off the screen while you waited for memory to page in and out of disc swap space. Now I can have several apps open and jump from virtual desktop to virtual desktop without waiting a year and a day. If I click on the menubar or adjust the volume I don;t have to wait 5 minutes for the application to respond to a mouse click or movement.

For general performance, tar more important than having a faster processor is having adequate RAM...

Oh, the best part... They charge $30-60 (or more depending on size) for memory modules for this machine but I didn't pay jack shidt. I found a similar machine being tossed and I yanked the memory from it. I might even yank a few other parts being that I have 2 desktops of this type in the house.

KG4CGC
11-22-2010, 01:57 AM
FBOM! recycling regreen!

W2NAP
11-22-2010, 03:41 AM
well i use KDE3 vector linux. with 2.5GB ram.

runs pretty sweet

n2ize
11-22-2010, 01:44 PM
well i use KDE3 vector linux. with 2.5GB ram.

runs pretty sweet

I use KDE 4 on Fedora. On this machine I have about half the amount on yours but it runs great.

W2NAP
11-22-2010, 10:55 PM
I use KDE 4 on Fedora. On this machine I have about half the amount on yours but it runs great.

I just could never get into KDE4 ive tryed it a few times didnt like it.

if it wasnt for KDE3 id prob end up using gnome or lxde