PDA

View Full Version : "This thing has weird written all over it..."

NQ6U
11-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Aw, he's just a harmless hobbyist. It's just that his hobby is explosives.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/19/mystery-explosives-set-off-strange-day-in/

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Aw, he's just a harmless hobbyist. It's just that his hobby is explosives.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/19/mystery-explosives-set-off-strange-day-in/
“We had people back there cutting weeds. It’s kind of a strange situation.”

NQ6U
11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
“He seems to be real nice,” Garcia said. “Once in a while, not often, we talked and chatted.”

Garcia said the backyard didn’t seem suspicious or abnormal, although scraps of metal were strewed about.

#1 indication that perhaps everything is not as normal as it appears--scraps of metal strewn about in the backyard.

W2NAP
11-20-2010, 07:38 PM
"A small mushroom cloud rises from the second of six explosions detonated at a home on Via Scott in this view looking east from a driveway on Nutmeg Street. "

reading that cap from the pic. for some reason makes me think of all them nuclear videos DUCK AND COVER!

ki4itv
11-20-2010, 08:12 PM
It's far too strange to be anything sinister.

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Chemistry, used to be a hobby when I was a kid and into my teens and you were required at some point during your "hobby hours" to blow up your lab. These days, chemist and lab are all criminal buzz-words.
Many a hobby chemist in the past helped develop better ways of doing things from agriculture to medicine.

ki4itv
11-20-2010, 08:42 PM
#1 indication that perhaps everything is not as normal as it appears--scraps of metal strewn about in the backyard.

Oh shit. He's one of us. :lol:

NQ6U
11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
An update on the original story. Apparently, the guy had quite a lot of an unstable home-brew explosive stashed around the place:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/20/powerful-homemade-explosives-found-north-county-ho/

KG4CGC
11-21-2010, 01:53 PM
It could have been quite devastating,” said Oxley, a chemistry professor at the University of Rhode Island. She said jars of the powder sitting out in the open could have a blast radius of 600 feet.
Send his azz to Gitmo!

I think the worst my friends did was to blow a 6 foot crater out in the woods near the gun club. That was a pretty big deal and it was enough to make them realize that it wasn't something that they wanted to keep perusing.

NQ6U
11-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I only played around with more conventional explosives back in my yoot--black powder and various easily-concocted nitrogen compounds. With the help of a buddy who knew a little more about chemistry than I did, I made up a few ounces of thermite once. That was easy, but I found out that takes a fair amount of the stuff if you want to have any real fun with it.

KG4CGC
11-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Yep, back then, you could buy everything you needed at the drug store. I even remember seeing black powder and one gallon jugs of 95% ethyl alcohol.

NQ6U
11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
The guy is wack; turns out that not only was he nabbed for shoplifting at Wal-Mart, he's a suspected bank robber as well. I'm glad he's out of circulation.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/22/man-explosives-case-be-arraigned-monday/

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Wow. There are some real nutjobs out there.

Most explosive things I've ever played with is hooking up electrolytic caps backwards.

kb2vxa
11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I too was the terror of my neighborhood when I was a kid, Igor... I mean Kevin across the street was my faithful assistant. Copper wires in the trees, aluminium poles everywhere with explosions and smoke by day and flashing lights with big electric arcs by night reminded them of a castle on the mountain above the village of Frankenstein. To borrow a bit of a Zappa tune; the neighbors on the right sat and watched them every night, I bet you'd do the same if they was you.

So it's weird huh? What's weird is nobody ever taught Harry Jones sentence composition and grammar or he was asleep in back of the English class. Couple that with the fact he among journalists hasn't the sense God gave a goose and you have nonsense like this:
"The Mason jars were placed in holes dug in the ground by bomb experts Friday and then detonated with counter charges. Officials weren’t sure if the compound itself would explode — it did not..."
OK, somehow I was under the impression that when an explosive is detonated it explodes.

"Even a very small amount of the compound can do damage, as seen by the injuries to the gardener — Mario Garcia, 49, of Fallbrook. Nine pounds of the explosive is a “very significant amount,” Caldwell said."
That makes me wonder what they were trying to accomplish by setting off 9 pounds of the stuff.

“It could have been quite devastating,” said Oxley, a chemistry professor at the University of Rhode Island. She said jars of the powder sitting out in the open could have a blast radius of 600 feet."
I guess I found the answer, urban renewal the easy way.

“There is no legitimate reason for him to have it there,” Oxley said."
Of course, leveling the neighborhood is a crime... except when the feds do it... Waco.

“We were in the backyard and we felt the earth move. It was really a loud boom,” Nugent said Friday."
Women tend to describe an orgasm that way, you know what she and George were doing!

"Wow. There are some real nutjobs out there."
Spot on Kelli, plenty involved with this story but only one was arrested.

NQ6U
11-24-2010, 06:52 PM
"There is no legitimate reason for him to have it there; Oxley said."
Of course, leveling the neighborhood is a crime... except when the feds do it... Waco.

Or the Philadelphia cops do it... MOVE.

N2NH
11-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Most explosive thing I ever owned were a pair of Lafayette HA-15 walkie-talkies that had a NiCad battery problem. They'd blow up like blockbusters after 2-3 years of use. Woke me up like an alarm clock at 5:45AM one morning before school. Shook like a leaf all day. Amazingly, the metal case of the 2 watt CB walkie-talkies were bent back into shape and you couldn't tell they had a major explosion in them. Try that with an Icom/Kenwood/Alinco/Yaesu 2band HT.

kb2vxa
11-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't call that explosion major. Had it been the doctor picking shrapnel out of you would have precluded your going to school. No, I really wouldn't try it AT ALL and next time don't overcharge the batteries.

NQ6U
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
The saga of our local bomb factory continues:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/30/community-meeting-tonight-bomb-factory-house/

In short, local authorities have decided that it's too dangerous to try and clean up the house so they're going to just burn it down. This may turn out to be Big Fun, since they've admitted that some of the stuff within could detonate.

Does this make anyone else think of the Philadelphia MOVE debacle?

w3bny
12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Meh... come up here to the Marylands.. where you can find all sorts of things in your back yard. Mustard, Lewisite, shells filled with said stuff...

N2CHX
12-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Meh... come up here to the Marylands.. where you can find all sorts of things in your back yard. Mustard, Lewisite, shells filled with said stuff...

I ventured into Maryland once. No offense but it seemed dirty and the drivers were insane.

KG4CGC
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
The saga of our local bomb factory continues:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/30/community-meeting-tonight-bomb-factory-house/

In short, local authorities have decided that it's too dangerous to try and clean up the house so they're going to just burn it down. This may turn out to be Big Fun, since they've admitted that some of the stuff within could detonate.

Does this make anyone else think of the Philadelphia MOVE debacle?
Hiding, destroying evidence that the state does not want the public to know about. Either they found money or are embarrassed to admit to something on the premises.

NQ6U
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Hiding, destroying evidence that the state does not want the public to know about. Either they found money or are embarrassed to admit to something on the premises.

That could very well be the case, I don't know. What I do know is that this has fiasco written all over it. There's a good chance you will be seeing the results of this on the national news before long.

NQ6U
12-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Well, somewhat to my surprise, the burn went off without a hitch:

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2010/12/09/Bomb_house_ashes_t352.jpg?980751187beea6fc26a3a9e9 3795d379f58af1c4

Full article here (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/09/traffic-plans-bomb-factory-house-burn/).