PDA

View Full Version : What kinda bar soap you use?

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 03:54 AM
http://www.kirksnatural.com/products6.jpg
I gotta buy a whole case of 48 bars to get this in "fragrance free" at $1.35 a bar.
You want "fragrance free" you gotta pay through the nose.

KA5PIU
11-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Hello.

I buy whatever is cheap. ;)
For quite a few hams it would seem that fragrance free would be defeating the whole purpose of soap!

PA5COR
11-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Several, liquid for in bath/shower, some bar soap for hands desinfecting soap, etc.
Yep, i like to be clean and good smelling...or else the wifee will kick me outa bed :roll::lol:

N2NH
11-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I use Lava. I like the way the volcanic grit feels on the naughty bits.

(just kidding)

N8YX
11-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I use Lava. I like the way the volcanic grit feels on the naughty bits.

(just kidding)
Real Men use REAL Lava.

Once.

;)

W4GPL
11-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't use any bar soap these days, always seems to dry out my skin. Whatever is 2 for 1 liquid soap in the shower and store brand disinfectant hand soap for the sinks.

NQ6U
11-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Lava is for sissies. I use this in the shower:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51s0dHugMRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

suddenseer
11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
My favorite soap is my grandma's home made lye soap. When my supply runs out, I prefer Dove beauty bar. They both save me the hassle of soap scum to clean up later.

al2n
11-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Make your own. It is easy and you control the oils and fragrance (if desired).

You can make high end soap for generic brand prices. We make 5 pound batches and it lasts a long time. Makes great gifts too.

Besides, a rugged anti establishment type like you should be making your own stuff rather than contribute to the wallets of those who you claim to hate so much.

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 01:03 PM
November bout with poison ivy means I'm still on the detergents.

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Make your own. It is easy and you control the oils and fragrance (if desired).

You can make high end soap for generic brand prices. We make 5 pound batches and it lasts a long time. Makes great gifts too.

Besides, a rugged anti establishment type like you should be making your own stuff rather than contribute to the wallets of those who you claim to hate so much.

good shot...
A friend makes soap at home, and yes it's excellent quality but can be a pita needing stirring for over an hour.
Olive oil, coconut oil, bees wax & lye.

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 04:46 PM
The best commercial soap comes from Mexico:

http://solylunastore.com/store/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Jabon_Neutro_Gri_4b175b3b69740.jpg

KA5PIU
11-20-2010, 04:57 PM
The best commercial soap comes from Mexico:

http://solylunastore.com/store/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Jabon_Neutro_Gri_4b175b3b69740.jpg

Hello.

That stuff is downright cheap around here.
And if you are making your own you will NEED! a mixer.
No, not that tiny hand held job, a MIXER!
I got one that is just the right size for me, a kitchenaid that had bad brushes and a worn worm drive and commutator.
This was used from some commercial user I got real cheap.
Parts were around $20 and half a day figuring out how everything came apart and such.
This one has the electric heating girdle so it can warm and mix.
I sometimes use it for mixing wax for molds.

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Koreans used to (maybe still do) smoke dried cow dung. Didn't they also make a soap out of that?

al2n
11-20-2010, 05:58 PM
good shot...
A friend makes soap at home, and yes it's excellent quality but can be a pita needing stirring for over an hour.
Olive oil, coconut oil, bees wax & lye.

Use a stick blender, it goes much faster that way. And if you are not willing to spend an hour every couple months making some soap the way you like it, then you deserve to get ripped off.

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 06:34 PM
It's just nutz that a decent fragrance free bar soap isn't readily available to the public.

ki4itv
11-20-2010, 07:04 PM
November bout with poison ivy means I'm still on the detergents.

You too?
Ever since I breathed in some burning poison ivy smoke, clearing some brush, I've become highly sensitized to it.
I can just stand downwind on a turbulent day, and get the downwood blues.

W3MIV
11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
I prefer Octagon myself.

kb2crk
11-20-2010, 07:32 PM
good ole ivory

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Use a stick blender

Won't that cause it to aerate?

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Hello.That stuff is downright cheap around here.
Send me some 150 gram bars of uncontaminated.

W3MIV
11-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Not if you keep the whirling blade deep so that it doesn't suck air into the mix. The pot you use should be deep rather than wide. The blender will tend to form a kind of whirlpool around the shaft if the blade is too close to the surface, and that will suck air into the blades.

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
You too?
Ever since I breathed in some burning poison ivy smoke, clearing some brush, I've become highly sensitized to it.
I can just stand downwind on a turbulent day, and get the downwood blues.
Don't ask me the details. It's like you never desensitize once afflicted. It is cumulative. The more you get exposed to it, the more sensitive you become. That's how you can go your whole childhood, teens and even into your twilight years with nary a reaction and then one day ........ BOOM! I reached my limit at age 28 after living in it for 3 years.

W4RLR
11-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Old Spice shower gel. Bar soap leaves a mess.

No, even though I use Old Spice, I can't ride a horse backwards.

KA5PIU
11-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Hello.

That is one thing really nice about the kitchenaid, it has a true transmission.
Set it on granny and it slowly turns.
And, Mexican soap? it costs more to ship it than buy it, I looked!

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Old Spice shower gel. Bar soap leaves a mess.

No, even though I use Old Spice, I can't ride a horse backwards.

That stuff's pretty aromatic. Gotta be 100% fragrance free or completely natural oils or essences for me.

I spent a few winters in Yuma, AZ with this gal from Montana. As soon as possible I changed the shower head in our apartment to a head from a water wand for seedlings that I modified for a perfect shower spray. I also insisted on buying the soap to avoid the bad stuff.
She always remarked I was such a fuss pot.
In the last few days we were there I replaced the original head back on the shower and put some el cheapo bar soap in the dish for the shower.

She goes in for a shower and starts hollering, I ran in to see what was wrong and she says "this shower is so forceful it's about to squirt my tits off...and this soap stinks." I just smiled.

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 09:25 PM
She always remarked I was such a fuss pot.
She goes in for a shower and starts hollering,
You are a fuss pot but that was lulzy.

Are all those your guitars?

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 09:29 PM
And, Mexican soap? it costs more to ship it than buy it, I looked!
It's actually quite cheap to ship with the USPS "if it fits, it ships" package deal but thanks anyway. It's hard to get that soap uncontaminated by the other soaps it mingles with during distribution and warehousing (bodega) and the omni present cucaracha poison that is a way of life down there.

When I wintered in Yuma I'd visit Los Algodones, BC and started sniffing all the farmacia's Neutro stock. When I found one acceptable I bought the entire lot.

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Who is Algod and why does he only have one?

W3WN
11-20-2010, 09:38 PM
I gotta buy a whole case of 48 bars to get this in "fragrance free" at $1.35 a bar.
You want "fragrance free" you gotta pay through the nose.
I'm just glad you use soap! :evil:

We have a standing rule at our annual hamfest. Any ham who shows up in need of a bath gets chucked into the creek.

It's easy enough to do, the fire hall we rent straddles a small creek, a tributary of Saw Mill Run.

BTW, did I mention that our hamfest is on the last Sunday in February? Ice & snow? That's their problem. :evil:

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Any ham who shows up in need of a bath gets chucked into the creek.
Same thing over here but it's rail road tracks. LOL!

NQ6U
11-20-2010, 10:01 PM

You know, Al God--ran for president in 2000, invented the Internet.

al2n
11-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Keep the tip submerged in the mixture and it will do fine.

Cuts a 60 minute stir down to under 20, usually about 12 to 15.

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 10:53 PM

It's a Mexican thing gringo.

and what's this:

Are all those your guitars?

This is the soap thread bub, you tryin to confuse me?

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Keep the tip submerged in the mixture and it will do fine.

Cuts a 60 minute stir down to under 20, usually about 12 to 15.

Thanks Mike & Albi. I've only ever seen it stirred by hand and didn't know it could be rushed.
The olive oil, coconut oil, bees wax, & lye soap was the best batch. Even buying the ingredients at the discount/close out store in large containers still put the soap into the spendy department but it was smooth as silk with a creamy, almost tempted to eat, aroma to it.

Also had a whole batch go bad by not setting up. It was used as goo so didn't get wasted.
Home made soap needs to cure for at least a year to give it that no skin irritation quality.

KA5PIU
11-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks Mike & Albi. I've only ever seen it stirred by hand and didn't know it could be rushed.
The olive oil, coconut oil, bees wax, & lye soap was the best batch. Even buying the ingredients at the discount/close out store in large containers still put the soap into the spendy department but it was smooth as silk with a creamy, almost tempted to eat, aroma to it.

Also had a whole batch go bad by not setting up. It was used as goo so didn't get wasted.
Home made soap needs to cure for at least a year to give it that no skin irritation quality.

Hello.

The trick to curing is that the soap needs to oxidize.
You can speed the process up by putting it under pressure and spraying it out a nozzle, this is what the big boys do.
Once the soap is oxidized it is far more stable and the ph will be closer to 7.

kc7jty
11-21-2010, 02:58 AM
Hello.

The trick to curing is that the soap needs to oxidize.
You can speed the process up by putting it under pressure and spraying it out a nozzle, this is what the big boys do.
Once the soap is oxidized it is far more stable and the ph will be closer to 7.

I remember having to wipe white vinegar on some problem skin areas to neutralize the alkalinity of using uncured soap. That stuff's nasty.

WØTKX
11-21-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm one of the light skinned swarthy types, and my oily skin never felt dry till I moved to Colorado.
Use an antibacterial bar soap on the necessaries, and coco butter bar soap on everywhere else.
Not a fan of fragrance, but I don't have a skin reaction to it.

n0iu
11-21-2010, 09:37 AM
I use it every Saturday night... whether I need to or not!

http://www.allbeautytools.com/pro/bar_soap/3.jpg

w3bny
11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
good ole ivory

I use Ivory gel/liquid. Keep Ivory bars for emergency.

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
http://img2.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/01111161117_220x220_a.jpg

W1GUH
11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Soap? As Freddie the Freeloader (Or was it Clem Caddidlehopper?) said, "Never use it. It removes that protective coating of dirt!" :roll:

It's good for those houses that aren't giving out candy on Halloween, tho'!

Used to make boats out of Ivory soap. It floats!

Used Fels Naptha to avoid Poison Ivy 'way back when. Funny thing about PI; I only had it once, in the middle of January, in Boston, on my chest. I'll never figure out why I got it there and then.

Pretty much use what the last hotel I stayed at was giving away!

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I'll never figure out why I got it there and then.
Were you near or handling chopped wood? Was a cat sleeping on top of chopped wood that decided to sit on your chest?
I've been a Poison Ivy Detective for nearly 19 years.
1st time I got it was from cats playing on a wooden fence that had PI growing on it. Later cats decided to sleep on my laundry. Put shirt on later and about 15 minutes later I started itching mysteriously. I eventually solved that mystery though. Since then, I've discovered that PI can get airborne just from people doing brush work in the Spring. Burning it also is a sure fire way to spread it over large swaths of the population.
A couple of weeks ago, I got PI from some frayed fiberglass that has been outside for years. PI can get on something and be potent for a very very long time.

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Poison ivy..... OMG I have a funny story about that but I'm not sure I want to tell it. Let's just say it involved poison ivy growing up two of the towers of a three tower AM directional array in Syracuse NY, me not knowing it was poison ivy, me wanting to fix the screwed up array parameters and common point which was way off, and then having to go to the bathroom on that hot summer day. You do the math.

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 04:37 PM
It gets everywhere.

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 04:42 PM
It gets everywhere.

Places I don't even want to talk about. Weeks of misery. That was worse than the time the wasp dropped into my underwear. Long story, but another transmitter folly about 15 years ago. At WBEE no less. When at an unmanned site with no bathroom and you really have to go, always be privy to what's above and around your makeshift privy. That's all I've got to say about that.

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Places I don't even want to talk about. Weeks of misery. That was worse than the time the wasp dropped into my underwear. Long story, but another transmitter folly about 15 years ago. At WBEE no less. When at an unmanned site with no bathroom and you really have to go, always be privy to what's above and around your makeshift privy. That's all I've got to say about that.
Summer Camp, a lot of peeing outdoors. Up in the mountains, mosquito bite on the Coronal Ridge of SC.
July 4th celebrations, a lot of peeing outdoors, PI gets on the twig and berries. Just can't wash that stuff off. 511? Maybe, but it happens.

Damn PI is still creeping and it's in my eyes.

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Damn PI is still creeping and it's in my eyes.

That sucks. How long has it been now?

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Closing in on 2 weeks. Once got it from a table at Applbees. Apparently, the person who sat there earlier was clearing brush before they came in.

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Closing in on 2 weeks. Once got it from a table at Applbees. Apparently, the person who sat there earlier was clearing brush before they came in.

Wow, that's crazy. I didn't know that could happen.

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, that's crazy. I didn't know that could happen.
And since it's invisible, you think the table is clean. You saw them wipe it down but ...
Another time, a guy who had just come directly into work from being out hunting and got PI got all over the desk, the guard rails for the stairs and platforms, compressed air junctions, control panels, etc, you name it.
It takes less than a nanogram for someone as allergic as I am. Over the Summer I build up a slight tolerance for the stuff but if I don't get hit for a while, when I do, all hell breaks loose. Spring and Fall is the worst time since it seems to also be a little stronger during those periods.

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 05:38 PM
And since it's invisible, you think the table is clean. You saw them wipe it down but ...
Another time, a guy who had just come directly into work from being out hunting and got PI got all over the desk, the guard rails for the stairs and platforms, compressed air junctions, control panels, etc, you name it.
It takes less than a nanogram for someone as allergic as I am. Over the Summer I build up a slight tolerance for the stuff but if I don't get hit for a while, when I do, all hell breaks loose. Spring and Fall is the worst time since it seems to also be a little stronger during those periods.

I hope you're all better soon. It's been a while since I've tangled with poison ivy but I know how miserable it is.

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I hope you're all better soon. It's been a while since I've tangled with poison ivy but I know how miserable it is.
Thank you and return salutations of some sort to you as well!

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Thank you and return salutations of some sort to you as well!

Tin woman could use a new heart, :lol:

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Tin woman could use a new heart, :lol:
Yeah, sad thing is that DICK Cheney owns all the hearts and heart parts ever manufactured. Pure Evil I tell ya!

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah, sad thing is that DICK Cheney owns all the hearts and heart parts ever manufactured. Pure Evil I tell ya!

Dick has a heart?

KA5PIU
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Hello.

It is the oil from poison ivy that is the culprit.
http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/faq.htm
There are people who think that it is funny to run poison ivy on handrails and the like, the same people who think that throwing a discharged teargas canister into a crowded elevator.
this kind of chit makes me want to kick some arse!

NQ6U
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Dick has a heart?

No, Dick Cheney eats hearts. But, to be fair, he's never eaten a human heart. He only eats puppy hearts.

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
No, Dick Cheney eats hearts. But, to be fair, he's never eaten a human heart. He only eats puppy hearts.
They ran out of parts one time and used an old Simon for a while. 3613

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Dick is a furry vampire? Does the bunneh know about this?

N2CHX
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
They ran out of parts one time and used an old Simon for a while. 3613

LOL!!