PDA

View Full Version : Need to know or something on PBS

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 12:27 AM
tonight was talking about how we managed to remove tobacco from the limelight but are still spending hundreds of million$ telling ourselves to eat MORE & MORE CRAP. Cheese, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

How did they manage to be so successful torpedoing tobacco?
Were the related diseases threatening the medical industry?
follow the money

n6hcm
11-20-2010, 03:38 AM
what's wrong with cheese?

imho, the problem with hfcs is that it is (until lately) in so many foods ... in unexpected places, like in bread, so you are unwittingly consuming way too much of the stuff.

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 04:23 AM
what's wrong with cheese?
http://kevinhuffman.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sarpinos-pizza-011.jpg
cheese on the top, cheese on the bottom, cheese in the crust, and cheese up your ass. It's not real cheese anyway, for if stupid fucking Americans were to get real cheese they would say: "EEWWW, I DON"T LIKE IT!"

imho, the problem with hfcs is that it is (until lately) in so many foods ... in unexpected places, like in bread, so you are unwittingly consuming way too much of the stuff.

In bread it might be unexpected for you. I can't stand it, and if you want to buy something you consume by mouth without sweetener it costs 2 to 3 times the price.

If you want to buy some personal hygiene product without "fragrance" you have to pay 3 to 4 times the amount. See my bar soap thread.

PA5COR
11-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Most "cheese" in your products is simply modified fat....
I prefer our real cheese, or the French cheese, in fact i'm off doing some shopping in a moment for geting some of it for the weekend with some baguettes ( home bake off).

We have a very good shop here locally that just sells cheese of all niches of the globe, bit more expensive, but so much more quality... yummy..
They also have the bake off pizza which you can yourself dress up with the stuff YOU like on top, the only way i will have a pizza, real cheese, onions etc, takes a bit more time, but the taste is not comparable with the stuff found in the supermarkets..
Same goes for a very good butcher here, he slaughters himself, and i know him well, getting the best pieces of meat.
Then there is the bakery, fresh bread and all you wish for.
The vegetables shop, with fresh fruit.....:yum:
I'll start dieting in January :shifty: honestly....:nono:

You guessed it, we do like to cook, and the kitchen is used a lot here.

KA5PIU
11-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Hello.

I remember delivering fresh meat to the butcher, as fresh as you are ever going to get.
http://www.lhpacking.com/Pages/whoweare.html
Ever seen a steak moo?

W7XF
11-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Hell, I remember going to the supermarket ( a REAL food store market, NOT a Stupidcentre) and watching them unload 2 sides of beef into the in-store butcher shop. None of this boxed beef or pre-packaged shit. Those were the days.

NQ6U
11-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Hell, I remember going to the supermarket ( a REAL food store market, NOT a Stupidcentre) and watching them unload 2 sides of beef into the in-store butcher shop. None of this boxed beef or pre-packaged shit. Those were the days.

I can still see that at one "natural foods" store I frequent.

W3MIV
11-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Some of our supermarkets still have a full butcher shop in which they actually cut meat. And we have Treuth in Oella, which is a full abattoir, as well as a retail butcher shop. Pricier than the markets, but the quality and freshness can't be beat. Also, it's Kosher ("7WD" ;) ).

http://www.jwtreuth.com/index2.html

On the subject of cheese, I can get plenty of good, real cheese here. Everything is not yellow powder or the individually wrapped sheets of used wet suits.

al2n
11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Real cheese is easy to find. Most supermarkets carry a nice selection of fancy cheeses and such these days and there is always the internet if you happen to live in a cabin in the woods.

About the only pizza that does not use real cheese anymore are the cheap microwave things in the freezer section. Most decent pizza joints use the real stuff as more and more people demand it. I prefer the take and bake pizza as you can add your choice of toppings.

Avoid fast food, school and prison meal programs, and the local greasy spoon and you should have no trouble finding the real deal.

And like I say, if you do not like the quality of the store bought stuff......make your own.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

Same goes for bread. Go to the thrift store and buy a bread machine for 5 bucks. Ingredients for a basic loaf will run you less than 50 cents a loaf for fresh bread with only the ingredients you put into it.

KG4CGC
11-20-2010, 05:53 PM
We have real cheese at the chain grocery. Average about $17 a pound for an aged cheddar. Sits right beside the bastardized version of Stilton.

al2n
11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Tillamook cheddar should be under 10 bucks for a two pound block. It may come from a factory, but it is real cheese. Same with Bandon cheese. Both are from Oregon.

If you have a Costco nearby, they usually have a great selection of fancy cheeses on hand.

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Real is relative. Does Kraft make real cheese?
I'm still working on a 2 lb block of
http://www.tillamookcheese.com/files/Images/Products/MainImage/VW_ES_2lb_rBST_Main_258.jpg
extra sharp vintage white

not bad, it actually reminds me of the good stuff.

W3MIV
11-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I am partial to extra sharp Irish cheddars, myself. I like them white, dry and somewhat crumbly. Along with bleu, Gorgonzola, Jarlsberg and a real Emmenthaler Swiss, these are my faves. May kill me, but nobody lives forever, so why crouch in fear and eat like some forking monk?

I love fresh slabs of cold Bosc or red pears and thin slices of bleu accompanied by a vintage ruby port. If only I had the bad sense and big balls to do an Upmann magnum 50 with them.

kc7jty
11-20-2010, 08:53 PM
A good wet, creamy bleu with a quality port can be divine.

Had any REAL pickles lately? That's something else best when home made.
No vinegar, no heat/cooking, just lots of funky acid producing bacteria, yum.

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/95de393e.jpg

NA4BH
11-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Best cheese in the world (http://marscheese.com/)

kc7jty
11-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Best cheese in the world (http://marscheese.com/)

A click up from Hickory Farms?

NA4BH
11-23-2010, 07:35 PM
A click up from Hickory Farms?

Nope. It is the best GD cheese you will ever have. I have a friend in Kenosha, and have him send me some extra sharp cheddar a couple of times each year. Their gift packs look like Hickory Farms. Go for the straight cheese and you won't go wrong.

KG4CGC
11-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Go for the straight cheese and you won't go wrong.
Sounds like a plan. I never understood the point of rolling a cheese in nuts. Guess it's one of those Emperor has no clothes things. You say it sucks and people act like there's something wrong with you. Come to think of it, I can no longer recall a Hickory Farms product that wasn't rolled in nuts.

kc7jty
11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Do you like bleu? Ever have Maytag, Cambozola, Saga, Stilton?

How about Pecorino Romano, or Parmigiano Reggiano?

A real French brie that smelled like toe jam?

NQ6U
11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
"Not even Wensleydale?"

kc7jty
11-24-2010, 11:46 PM
You say it sucks and people act like there's something wrong with you.
Just tell em you like shit with sugar sprinkled on it. You'll be instantly reinducted onto their you're OK now list.

KG4CGC
11-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Just tell em you like shit with sugar sprinkled on it. You'll be instantly reinducted onto their you're OK now list.
In order for that to work, others would have to "get you" and as far as I can tell, among my group of peers and acquaintances, I'm the only one who knows you outside of the IOMH.

NQ6U
11-25-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm the only one who knows you outside of the IOMH.

I'm really hoping you don't mean that in the Biblical sense...

kc7jty
11-25-2010, 03:35 AM
In order for that to work, others would have to "get you" and as far as I can tell, among my group of peers and acquaintances, I'm the only one who knows you outside of the IOMH.

Try it anyway

KC2UGV
11-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Real cheese is easy to be had. Should you look to the right sources. Same as meats. I tend to buy "staple" meats at the super market, but steaks, pork loins, briskets, etc I go to the butcher (Yes, there are butchers. Just go and look for them in the phone book).

Wegmans here does a ton of the "real cheeses", and wifey and I have been taking a liking to brie, swiss, and mozzarella.

W1GUH
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Goat Cheese!!!!!!

Tatstes pretty mild but so good and the texture is dreamily smooth creamy! Of course...with a good wine.

Any of the bleus....Blue cheese, Stilton, Roquefort, Gorgonzola (and other I don't know about) mmmmmmm!!!!!!

kc7jty
12-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Roquefort can be good but I consider it a safety cheese. Very sterile, dry, and extremely salty. 3 things that make it USA approved.

The best blues are soft, preferably wet, minimally salty, and with a brown/gray secondary moldy slime that forms on the original outer surfaces of the wheel (rind).