PDA

View Full Version : most hams are techs..... blah blah blah

W2NAP
11-19-2010, 11:03 PM
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=271593

somewhat interesting thread. goes together with some other threads.

sure like many say alot of the "techs" are ecom wackers.

but many also imo got into the hobby thought they would enjoy it only to find out. the majority in your area are the uppity up's look down the nose im better then you kinda guys.

or the only repeaters you can get into, the owners seem to think it should be totally fomal like a Police Radio.

im sure a few think of doing the upgrade just to find out its really to costly if your dirt ass poor.

another one i can think off. why bother upgrading when you can hear the same shit on CB

comments? thoughts?

suddenseer
11-19-2010, 11:39 PM
When I first became a ham, I did not know any Techs. To earn a Tech license required a 5 wpm code test, and General written exam in front of a fcc examiner. That was alot of hassle to get privileges 50 mhz, and above. Most hams did what I did, Novice to General. Back then, General was 13 wpm code, and General written exam in front of a fcc examiner. Today the code is a moot point. The question pool is published. Memorizing the questions, and answers is possible. I have bad memory, I could not do that. i am one of those unfortunate people who have to learn the material.
My favorite band to play on is 6 meters. Techs can operate there, but I usually only work stations with extra class callsigns. Why is that? I don't know. I really do not care what class license a ham has. I do not know what yours is, I do not really care. Every ham does what they want to do. if that makes them happy , who am I to disagree?

kc7jty
11-19-2010, 11:59 PM
My hearing aid (I wear 2) guy is a volunteer fireman/emergency services person. He is a recently licensed tech. I talked to him about it and it seems he has no other interest (if any) in amateur radio other than it's possibly being of use in his volunteer work.

I like to make casual, laid back, rag chew contacts with interesting people on SSB phone who at least have their heads screwed on.
It seems to me there are so many (I call em Porky Pig) types who are so hyper, a da deep, a da deep, a da da, ramble on and on about a lot of minimally interesting nothingness.
Contests, all the latest hip jargon, those overly concerned with formalities, and speed talkers don't ever hear me.

It's like owning a gold fish. Sounds like a good idea until you get bored actually having one.
My best days were on SSB CB. Had a blast there, and met many very interesting people there. HR for me presently is just an afterglow of all that.

Got my tech in April 1995, upgraded to general when the Morse req was dropped. For me Morse was NOT an option. Had Morse not been a requirement back when, I'm sure I would have been a general in the very early 80s.

KA5PIU
11-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Hello.

I was a Novice for ages.
To be quite blunt the ham scene is so abnormal as to not be funny.
I make it an honest effort to NOT associate with about half of the hams in this city.
The primary reason was to communicate, and the cellphone and VoIP has bridged that gap for me.
Radios like the VX-3R are a useful short range adjunct to what we have.
For HF I pretty much live on 160 or 10.

VE7DCW
11-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Strange that there seems to be a hangup on "technician" class amateur radio operators........ you'd think.... "oh joy.... another ham has come in to fill the SK op depletion and save the hobby from extinction!"

W3WN
11-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Who gives a ratz azz?

What's important is the number of hams who are active, not the license classes they hold. The numbers are meaningless if they don't operate!

W2NAP
11-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Who gives a ratz azz?

What's important is the number of hams who are active, not the license classes they hold. The numbers are meaningless if they don't operate!

thats a big thing. many do not operate. i'm pretty much one of them that dont unless i happen to be at a friends place and 10 is open. or real bad weather is rolling in and i see something that should be reported.

N8YX
11-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Something which is often overlooked:

The 'Spouse' Tech.

A lot of women obtained Technician-class amateur radio licenses due to their husbands/boyfriends/SO being involved in the hobby and wanting to be able to communicate with them while out and about. A licensed family was much more prevalent in the pre-cellphone days but one still sees it on occasion.

I personally know of four who almost never use amateur radio but are licensed - all of whom keep their tickets current.

suddenseer
11-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Something which is often overlooked:

The 'Spouse' Tech.

A lot of women obtained Technician-class amateur radio licenses due to their husbands/boyfriends/SO being involved in the hobby and wanting to be able to communicate with them while out and about. A licensed family was much more prevalent in the pre-cellphone days but one still sees it on occasion.

I personally know of four who almost never use amateur radio but are licensed - all of whom keep their tickets current.That was the case with my family except with renewing. My ex, and late father-in-law. My ex was a tech, and my father-in-law was a tech plus. He only had a 10 meter single band mobile set up. That was all he wanted. I notified my ex over 6 years ago that her ticket was about to expire. She said, "screw it".

W3WN
11-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Before she went off to college, Sam AA3JS was quite active. Since her parents parted ways and we lost touch with the family, I don't know if she still is, let alone her mom or her sister. Her dad, AA3FI, has the misfortune for being a pilot for Useless Air, and last I heard from Bob a few weeks ago, he's living in an apartment near Philly sans equipment.

Sam had a bunch of friends in high school (at least 4) who'd get together on 2 meter simplex to talk. Yes, I know that's hard to imagine... a gaggle of High School teenagers gabbing, YL's yet, and all Techs. But after Sam left for school, they all dropped out of sight as they scattered to the winds.

w2amr
11-20-2010, 02:48 PM
My hearing aid (I wear 2)
You poor man

kb2crk
11-20-2010, 04:19 PM
i was a novice but never got on the air as one. passed the general theory exam a few days prior to receiving my novice call in the mail. the first time i was on the air (legally) was as a tech and on 10 meters sideband as kb2crk/at. it would be a few months before my tech license arrived. i passed my novice in jan 87 and the general theory in march of 87 the day before the novice enhancement took place. it was also the first time i failed the 13 wpm code test. after quite a few tries i gave up on code and stepped away for a year. when i came back i heard about this no code tech and was wondering what had happened.
i had someone yell at me on 10 meters for being a tech and operating outside my priviledges. i promptly told him that i had passed my novice and tech and was permitted there whether he liked it or not. this is when i found out i was now a tech plus.
i tried again for the general failing the 13 wpm several more times before saying screw it. then it happened, 5wpm for all classes. i went and payed my testing fee, showed the evidence that i was covered by the pre novice enhancement rules and i was grandfathered into general. one of these days i might go take the extra test but then i might not. i am not going to look down my nose at the no coders as i am just a 5wpm general and damn proud of it... lol