PDA

View Full Version : Vitalcheck Scam ?

n2ize
11-19-2010, 04:16 PM
A month or two ago my Mom was trying to track down a birth certificate of a relative who lived in the New York area. She went to the NYC Dept. of Heath & Records website to inquire about how to order one. They said she could order on line. They referred her to a third party service called "VitalCheck". Apparently a lot of government agencies contract with Vitalcheck for ordering documentation electronically. The site appears quite legit, is a subsidiary of Lexis-Nexxus" and has a BBB endorsement on the front page. She proceeded to order and paid the fee (approx $35.00) by credit card. They requested that she fax a copy of her drivers license foto fullfill the ID requirement, which she did.

A few days later an email appeared saying that the faxed documents were illegible. At this point I took over. They suggested I enlarge them and darken them by 5-10%. I complied with their instructions and re-faxed the documents. Two days later I get an email stating that they never received the identification docs. Once again I re-fax them. Two days later I again get an email stating they did not receive the documents and suggested that I fax a drivers license. I wrote them a brief email asking them what is wrong and if they can help me. I got no response from them other than an automated response saying they got my message. I decided to try refaxing them again and I did so. Again they stated they did not receive them. Mind the fact that my fax software showed that the faxes were send and received fine, without error, and nobody else I have faxed things to is having this problem. Again I sent them an email asking what I should do, whether they received them, whether they are legible. A few days later they send me a message stating that they cancelled my order but, as per their policy, they are not refunding the money. They suggested I fax them the ID they require and upon receipt of the fax they will reinstate and reprocess the order. So , yet again I rescanned the documents, made sure they were properly enlarged and legible, and I re-faxed them for the umpteenth time. This time their fax machine spit back an error and would not accept the fax.

Attempts to email these people are futile. They refuse to respond. Attempts to call them result in a recorded message and then being placed on hold forever.

I did a few Google searches on Vitalcheck and it appears that large numbers of people are getting the exact same treatment and I am getting. People submit forms and get nothing from Vitalcheck in return. Emails, phone calls, etc. go unanswered.

What is pitiful is that government agencies are relying on these people to handle document transactions. This is a disgrace and Lexis-Nexis should be ashamed of itself to operate a subsidiary business like this that has such low down scam-full tactics.

I would advise being very wary of this company and avoid them at all costs. sadly people like this give online business a bad name. :(

W5RB
11-19-2010, 05:05 PM
I've used them in the recent past , for records from another state . A little pricey if you're in a hurry , but I had no problem . My case required no faxing of ID , though . I would not accept them charging for providing no service , and I'd contest the charge with my bank if needed .

Next time you talk to them , ask for each successive person's supervisor . When you get to the supposed top , tell them you need their full name and the physical address of their office . When they ask why , tell 'em that the US Marshall will need it for the warrant . They'll usually offer a refund within 3-5 minutes .

suddenseer
11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Actually, this private business sounds like they are just as effective of many civil servants I have encountered. They charge more than standing in line yourself. Good for them. Nice political franchise.

KA5PIU
11-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Hello.

You may use Vitalcheck or do it the old way.
In Texas, Vitalcheck is $35 and the watusi.
Going down to communitylink is $6 and a 2 hour wait at most while they find the correct microfilm.
Going to the courthouse is 4 hours and $2.50,.
Since I was born outside the US to American parent(s) I have a state department form.

n2ize
11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Hello.

You may use Vitalcheck or do it the old way.
In Texas, Vitalcheck is $35 and the watusi.
Going down to communitylink is $6 and a 2 hour wait at most while they find the correct microfilm.
Going to the courthouse is 4 hours and $2.50,.
Since I was born outside the US to American parent(s) I have a state department form.

It's easy enough to go to the court house if you live in the area. But I feel sorry for those who live a distance away and canot afford to travel and thus depend on scam outfits like Vitalcheck.

n2ize
11-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I've used them in the recent past , for records from another state . A little pricey if you're in a hurry , but I had no problem . My case required no faxing of ID , though . I would not accept them charging for providing no service , and I'd contest the charge with my bank if needed .

Next time you talk to them , ask for each successive person's supervisor . When you get to the supposed top , tell them you need their full name and the physical address of their office . When they ask why , tell 'em that the US Marshall will need it for the warrant . They'll usually offer a refund within 3-5 minutes .

Thanks... That is my next move.

suddenseer
11-19-2010, 09:41 PM
It's easy enough to go to the court house if you live in the area. But I feel sorry for those who live a distance away and canot afford to travel and thus depend on scam outfits like Vitalcheck.My mom had to get her birth certificate from the county and state she was born in. Money order, SASE, 5 business days it arrived via US. Mail. She still does not trust the internets, she may have a point.

W2NAP
11-19-2010, 10:55 PM
if you want something get it yourself. dont rely on the scam sites cause well they are scams

W3WN
11-20-2010, 02:43 AM
You have contacted the credit card company and filed a dispute, haven't you?

Since they cancelled the order, they have not provided you with the service you paid for (or anything close to it), so it shouldn't be a problem for the credit card issuer to file a reversal and get your mother her money back.

n2ize
11-20-2010, 04:05 AM
if you want something get it yourself. dont rely on the scam sites cause well they are scams

The problem is that the city is referring people to Vitalcheck for online ordering of documents. Not everyone lives in or near the city such that they can show up anf fill out the forms, show the id to the clerk, etc. For many who live out of town a service like Vitalcheck makes things easy. You fill out an online form, pay your fee, and fax or attach an electronic copy to your order and Viola... you are done. Until of course you get screwed over by Vitalcheck.

n2ize
11-20-2010, 04:06 AM
You have contacted the credit card company and filed a dispute, haven't you?

Since they cancelled the order, they have not provided you with the service you paid for (or anything close to it), so it shouldn't be a problem for the credit card issuer to file a reversal and get your mother her money back.

That is probably going to be the next step.

W3WN
11-20-2010, 08:17 AM
That is probably going to be the next step.

I'd strongly suggest it. If nothing else, it will get someone's attention. The card issuer will tell them to fish or cut bait, and if they don't fish (render services), the issuer will, ah, cut bait (credit the account) for you.

W7XF
11-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Vitalcheck is a major financial service provider to the justice
and tax collection services in many states. One reason is that
charges to them are flagged as fines/taxes, so that if one files bankruptcy,
those charges are not dischargeable. Also, it's a flag to banks to
exercise extreme scrutiny on disputed charges.

n2ize
11-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Vitalcheck is a major financial service provider to the justice
and tax collection services in many states. One reason is that
charges to them are flagged as fines/taxes, so that if one files bankruptcy,
those charges are not dischargeable. Also, it's a flag to banks to
exercise extreme scrutiny on disputed charges.

So in other words they have a great racket going. These crooks have the endorsement of Lexis-Nexis, of the BBB, and various government agencies. And they can screw their customers into the ground.

W3WN
11-20-2010, 09:19 PM
So in other words they have a great racket going. These crooks have the endorsement of Lexis-Nexis, of the BBB, and various government agencies. And they can screw their customers into the ground.

In a word: Yuppers!