PDA

View Full Version : Older ham and HF.

KA5PIU
11-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Hello.

I have been talking to an older ham who has decided to try and get on HF.
He does not know code and his hearing is bad, he frequently has trouble with his hearing aids feeding back, I have to point out that one is squealing.
He has trouble navigating the menu on a modern FM radio, not that this is something unusual, I program radios for dozens of hams every year.
But I am of the opinion that he will not make a good phone operator on HF, at least not as it is at present.
If he were to remove his hearing aids he would need headphones that can do 130+ decibels.
I will supply a device that can provide over 130 decibels only at the advice of a health care provider, not that this is hard it is just something I am careful about.
So what is the next step?
And, if you want to increase the volume of a pair of headphones you need only think of how most headphone feeds work.
Most are nothing more than a jack that is fed by a pair of resistors off the speaker line.
Normally something in the order of 700 ohms is the value of the resistor.
A value of around 100 ohms will produce a massive increase in volume.
The best cheap amplifiers for this task are something that is used in a cheap pair of computer speakers.
I buy the little USB powered speakers with a regular audio plug.
You can keep the original speaker enclosure and simply change the value of the resistor or mount the amp inside a small box.
the 5 volt DC needed can be provided by a USB port or an old cell phone charger with the correct ratings.
Plugging this into a standard computer headphone jack will provide the headphones with a massive increase in volume, and the danger that someone may damage their hearing.

WØTKX
11-19-2010, 12:02 AM
AN AUDIO INTELLIGIBILITY ENHANCER QST JAN'05 by N4GG

http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas/Audio_Intelligibility_Enhancer_N4GG.gif

NQ6U
11-19-2010, 12:53 AM
AN INTELLIGENCE ENHANCER by KJ6BSO

http://www.countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/media/images3/wood-mallet.jpg

WØTKX
11-19-2010, 03:04 AM
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=4280&PLID=326&SecID=165&DeptID=52&PartNo=MFJ-616

KC2UGV
11-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Can he do digital modes?

N8YX
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Can he do digital modes?
+1

"DragonSpeak" (IIRC its name) is a speech to text application for the PC. One might look into using that bidirectionally.

W3MIV
11-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I think Corey has hit on the best overall solution. A cheap laptop (I have one I got at Staples for $369) and HRD will get him on HF.

KA5PIU
11-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Hello.

I thought about that, except he has a hard time with computers also.
Ham Radio Deluxe is a wonderful program, if you know what you are doing. ;)
And yes, I am aware of all of the latest and greatest in things like audio processing and the like.
But as a rule, most older hams have a very limited budget, look at me, I live in San Antonio and I am always saying,,,
I want a TACO!!!!! ;)

KC2UGV
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Hello.

I thought about that, except he has a hard time with computers also.
Ham Radio Deluxe is a wonderful program, if you know what you are doing. ;)
And yes, I am aware of all of the latest and greatest in things like audio processing and the like.
But as a rule, most older hams have a very limited budget, look at me, I live in San Antonio and I am always saying,,,
I want a TACO!!!!! ;)

Does he have a computer already? If not, PM me with details, and I'll see if I can get a computer to him. Low-end, nothing "fantastic", but enough to get FLDigi up and running, which can do all the digimodes + CW.

W3MIV
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Maybe he should take up some other hobby...

NQ6U
11-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Maybe he should take up some other hobby...

I think Albi may have a point here, Rudy. Ham radio is a technical hobby; if this guy isn't even up to learning how to use a computer, he might be better off doing something else with his time.

w2amr
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Hello.

I have been talking to an older ham who has decided to try and get on HF.
He does not know code and his hearing is bad, he frequently has trouble with his hearing aids feeding back, I have to point out that one is squealing.
He has trouble navigating the menu on a modern FM radio, not that this is something unusual, I program radios for dozens of hams every year.
But I am of the opinion that he will not make a good phone operator on HF, at least not as it is at present.
If he were to remove his hearing aids he would need headphones that can do 130+ decibels.
I will supply a device that can provide over 130 decibels only at the advice of a health care provider, not that this is hard it is just something I am careful about.
So what is the next step?
And, if you want to increase the volume of a pair of headphones you need only think of how most headphone feeds work.
Most are nothing more than a jack that is fed by a pair of resistors off the speaker line.
Normally something in the order of 700 ohms is the value of the resistor.
A value of around 100 ohms will produce a massive increase in volume.
The best cheap amplifiers for this task are something that is used in a cheap pair of computer speakers.
I buy the little USB powered speakers with a regular audio plug.
You can keep the original speaker enclosure and simply change the value of the resistor or mount the amp inside a small box.
the 5 volt DC needed can be provided by a USB port or an old cell phone charger with the correct ratings.
Plugging this into a standard computer headphone jack will provide the headphones with a massive increase in volume, and the danger that someone may damage their hearing.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/ces-2006-speakers-2.jpg

KG4CGC
11-19-2010, 03:59 PM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/ces-2006-speakers-2.jpg
Oooo, that's a good one.